Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 6 Princeton 2

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 6 Princeton 2
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2024 06:42PM

Mosko in, Wallace out, as we stress D against the Tigers.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2024 10:14PM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell vs Princeton, 1/19
Date: January 19, 2024 07:08PM

Team comes out with a rocket in its ass. Somebody wake the students, they're dead.

Date: January 19, 2024 07:12PM

DeSantis breaks in alone on a fast transition by Penney and we lead 1-0.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-242.myvzw.com)
Date: January 19, 2024 07:13PM

Trotsky
Team comes out with a rocket in its ass. Somebody wake the students, they're dead.

Not all back yet.

Date: January 19, 2024 08:10PM

Too many good looks on that Tiger pp, and now another one coming.

Date: January 19, 2024 08:11PM

Gate up on Q, 1-0.

Date: January 19, 2024 08:14PM

Trotsky
Too many good looks on that Tiger pp, and now another one coming.
Like I said. 1-1.

Date: January 19, 2024 08:17PM

Castagna, baby.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 19, 2024 08:32PM

that was the worst period we have played on D since the Quin game.. princeton was left open all over the place without really even carrying the puck.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2024 08:41PM

Castagna with two beautiful solo goals but otherwise I'm not totally sure everyone in white agrees on the point of the game.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (104.28.39.---)
Date: January 19, 2024 08:59PM

That Castagna goal was something I haven’t seen in a while. Speed AND power!

Kid is something special.

Date: January 19, 2024 09:02PM

clean breakaway with a patient extra pass that wasn't a mistake and a nice clean finish by o'leary. 4-1.

Date: January 19, 2024 09:17PM

come on shane you had a chance at a goal and you just cover it up?

Date: January 19, 2024 09:19PM

Trotsky
Gate up on Q, 1-0.
Gate wins 2-1

Date: January 19, 2024 09:23PM

Satisfying that it ultimately wasn't close. But it shouldn't even have been that close!

Date: January 19, 2024 09:27PM

sloppy play for the last 30 min.. ASu didnt nearly get that many chances in 3 games.

Quin looked flat all night

Colg gets swept by LIU but beats QUIN.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2024 09:54PM

That’s why you (try to) recruit high-end talent…This game could have ended very differently. Princeton’s speed allowed them to play Cornell very aggressively and force a lot of turnovers, at least two of which were really tough giveaways by Bancroft in his own end. But thanks to Castagna converting on two solo efforts, Princeton was suddenly forced to chase the game. Their aggressive play continued to give Cornell fits, but the game opened up enough that Cornell started getting a lot of chances the other way. Castagna has an amazing combination of strength and speed. He’s been creating these opportunities all year, and tonight three of them went in.

Princeton’s goals came off a stupid Cornell penalty after the whistle and then a seeing eye wrister from the point. But Princeton also had several good chances they didn’t convert on. I’m a little worried about tomorrow night after watching tonight’s game. Quinnipiac will challenge Cornell just as fast and aggressively, but their skill will allow them to finish far more plays than Princeton was able to.

By the way, Cornell skated 9 freshmen tonight and all got playing time. Should bode pretty well for the future. Somebody may need to put a good NIL package together to get Castagna and Robertson to stay four years, though.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 19, 2024 10:00PM

Dead crowd but good performance, still gonna need to play better if we want to win tomorrow though.

Date: January 19, 2024 10:08PM

tomorrow is a bigger crowd at least on the townie side.. Hopefully more kids get back for the biggest game after Harvard

Date: January 19, 2024 11:02PM

We could use everything for tomorrow. Q is going to be extremely pissed off.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: January 19, 2024 11:20PM

The townie side was pretty full. But my impression is that they were sitting on their hands. They didn't cheer much at all. Section E was pretty much empty. The band also showed up late and really didn't seem to have their shit together. There were lots of breaks in the action when they weren't playing.

Castagna's second goal was a thing of beauty. I was at the top of section G right above the goal, and I still don't know how he did that.

The puck took a couple of weird bounces, too. The one where it caught the corner of the bench and bounced toward the open net forcing Shane to scramble back was scary. And nearly putting the puck in our own net on the delayed penalty? Just wow.

My impressions of the team:

- Our speed lets us back-check really well. I was impressed with that. Princeton caught us out with a couple cherry-picking passes from their zone right to our blueline, but most of the time our guys got back to make a play.

- Princeton's two-man forecheck gave us fits trying to get out of our zone. We'd better work on that.

- Our power play is frustrating to watch. Too much looking to make the perfect pass down low and not enough putting the puck on net. Our D-men don't shoot enough. There's a reason why our PP percentage is ranked so low nationally.

- The team plays like they're young. A lot of playground hockey, e.g. behind the back passes, and the like. They also try a little two much one-on-one stuff. They don't seem to be looking for a trailer.

- Shane made some nice saves. I didn't catch the details of the first goal because it was at the far end, but you really can't fault him for the second goal. He was screened and somehow the puck made it through.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2024 12:21AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Big Dingus (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 20, 2024 07:17AM

For as much as this forum shits on the student section, townies were flat, uninterested, and dead tonight.

Be better

Date: January 20, 2024 08:15AM

Sometimes this forum is like an Adam Eget routine.

Posted by: VIEWfromK (151.181.225.---)
Date: January 20, 2024 08:48AM

I’m sure Castagna has scored goals like that second one his whole life but we’ve gone a long time between seeing a goal that pretty scored by one of our guys in that building. That line was flying. I still don’t know how Castagna found the tape of O’Leary on the second period two on two where Jack missed just high. Incredible vision. I was also impressed by the way the puck exploded off of Castagna’s stick in the third when he was still hunting for the hat trick and someone found him down by the goal line for a quick one time wrister. The skill potential was evident on the first five Big Red goals. Nothing greasy about a single one of them.

Posted by: VIEWfromK (151.181.225.---)
Date: January 20, 2024 08:55AM

Oh yeah. Where do the first two Castagna goals rank in quickest two goals scored by one player in Big Red history? His were 31 seconds.

Date: January 20, 2024 09:21AM

I dont think you will find a prettier hat trick set of goals in a long time at cornell.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 20, 2024 10:05AM

Castagna is a beast, and is just scratching the service. Just a fantastic freshman class across the board. I thought the Barron-Galajda-Donaldson class would be our best for years, but this current group is deeper and likely more talented overall.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2024 10:20AM

scoop85
Castagna is a beast, and is just scratching the service. Just a fantastic freshman class across the board. I thought the Barron-Galajda-Donaldson class would be our best for years, but this current group is deeper and likely more talented overall.
Who knows how things turn out, but at the moment it’s not even close:
Barron one of the best players at Cornell in decades, now an everyday NHL player
Galajda one of the best goalies in college hockey for four seasons (over .930 sv% over four seasons)
Donaldson/Locke dynamic top line forwards producing almost a point per game throughout college
Green fourth round draft pick, great puck moving/offensive defensemen
Mullin great power forward with scoring ability
Betts one of the best defensive forwards in the league
Haiskenen dependable and sturdy defenseman
Cairns in and out of the lineup but still a third round draft pick

The class’s achievements:
2018: 1 seed in NCAA
2019: 3 seed in NCAA, won a game in NCAA, screwed by refs in OT of ECAC Championship game
2020: 1 seed in NCAA and end of season #1 in the country, postseason canceled
2021: season canceled

At the moment this year’s class doesn’t come close. Not really a fault of their own. Honestly, the Barron class was likely the best class in the Schafer era, but a confluence of horrible fortune prevented them from winning as much as they were capable of.

Date: January 20, 2024 10:39AM

BearLover
scoop85
Who knows how things turn out, but at the moment it’s not even close:
Barron one of the best players at Cornell in decades, now an everyday NHL player
Galajda one of the best goalies in college hockey for four seasons (over .930 sv% over four seasons)
Donaldson/Locke dynamic top line forwards producing almost a point per game throughout college
Green fourth round draft pick, great puck moving/offensive defensemen
Mullin great power forward with scoring ability
Betts one of the best defensive forwards in the league
Haiskenen dependable and sturdy defenseman
Cairns in and out of the lineup but still a third round draft pick

The class’s achievements:
2018: 1 seed in NCAA
2019: 3 seed in NCAA, won a game in NCAA, screwed by refs in OT of ECAC Championship game
2020: 1 seed in NCAA and end of season #1 in the country, postseason canceled
2021: season canceled

At the moment this year’s class doesn’t come close. Not really a fault of their own. Honestly, the Barron class was likely the best class in the Schafer era, but a confluence of horrible fortune prevented them from winning as much as they were capable of.

Time will tell if you’re correct, but if you consider the impact of each class during their freshmen season, a strong case can be made that the current group has outperformed the Barron class. I know you’re big on draft picks, but the eye test tells us that the undrafted Robertson is a superior player to Green and Cairns, both of whom were drafted. And Stanley and Fegaras, both of whom play major minutes, have been more than solid. I acknowledge part of the success of this year’s frosh stems from necessity, as we have a 1 person senior class compared with a more typically-sized senior class in the 2017-18 season. But if you compare apples to apples it’s a far closer call than you’re making it out to be.

Date: January 20, 2024 10:41AM

I just noticed that there’s no game write-up yet on the Cornell Athletics’ website. Hard to fathom that a school with our resources would allow such an embarrassment.

Date: January 20, 2024 10:57AM

scoop85
I just noticed that there’s no game write-up yet on the Cornell Athletics’ website. Hard to fathom that a school with our resources would allow such an embarrassment.

you mean Athletics get their act together?

Date: January 20, 2024 11:12AM

upprdeck
scoop85

I did find the game summary, but it wasn’t showing on the home page. And to their credit they actually have game quotes!

Jane McNally also had a nice game story in the Sun.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (216.49.132.---)
Date: January 20, 2024 11:50AM

scoop85

Really well done. Clear from the quotes that Schafer was not exactly pleased with the other lines.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2024 12:34PM

Scersk '97
scoop85

Really well done. Clear from the quotes that Schafer was not exactly pleased with the other lines.
Schafer's post-game interview: [youtu.be]

Posted by: dag14 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2024 03:56PM

scoop85
upprdeck
scoop85

I did find the game summary, but it wasn’t showing on the home page. And to their credit they actually have game quotes!

When there are more than two or three teams playing, the stories on the homepage rotate. This weekend we have at least 10 teams in action. People here may not really care about swimming, gymnastics, fencing and squash but there are people who do. Plus the men's squash team is really good this year so they are getting a lot of hype.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2024 03:57PM by dag14.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2024 06:40PM

Scersk '97
scoop85

Nice photo by Julia Nagel, too.

Re: Cornell 6 Princeton 2
Posted by: VIEWfromK (12.203.54.---)
Date: January 23, 2024 11:35AM

This was almost us the other night!

[www.instagram.com]

Date: January 23, 2024 01:11PM

VIEWfromK

[www.instagram.com]

yup.. that would been a classic way to lose.

A weekend allowing a shortie, a Pen shot and an own goal.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2024 01:12PM by upprdeck.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: January 23, 2024 01:48PM

IINM the last self-own eng in a Cornell game was RPI at Troy with Crombeen getting the goal in 1986.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2024 01:49PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 23, 2024 01:52PM

they said first time ever a team allowed a PP own goal without a shot on goal?

Posted by: sah67 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: January 23, 2024 02:36PM

VIEWfromK

[www.instagram.com]

Better or worse than winning a faceoff into your own (non-empty) net?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login