Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs Arizona State, 12/30 7:30 pm

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell vs Arizona State, 12/30 7:30 pm
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2023 10:17AM

ASU 16 in PWR; Cornell 20.

Re: Cornell vs Arizona State, 12/30 7:30 pm
Posted by: chimpfood (---.williscenter.org)
Date: December 30, 2023 11:05AM

ASU wins a whole lot of close games which, depending on how you look at it, makes them either very good or very lucky.

Date: December 30, 2023 11:37AM

Or defensive-oriented. Recall dominating 1- and 2- goal games back in the day. One mistake and pfft.

That's a tense way to live; I prefer now.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2023 11:38AM by Trotsky.

Date: December 30, 2023 07:17PM

The bank commercial on WHCU always throws me because it starts with the exact guitar lead-in of my favorite romantic song, Jonathan Coulton's "Skullcrusher Mountain."
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2023 07:19PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Sperris (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2023 07:22PM

How is the crowd? With the tie last night, how did they decide who played who today or was that already set?

Date: December 30, 2023 07:27PM

Sperris
How is the crowd? With the tie last night, how did they decide who played who today or was that already set?
We won the shootout to advance to the title game.

Date: December 30, 2023 07:32PM

ASU sweaters are sweet.

Posted by: Iceberg (193.36.224.---)
Date: December 30, 2023 07:37PM

ASU looks like a big team. Quite physical to start, too

Posted by: shafer (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2023 07:53PM

Man, Cornell athletics has been running the same promo ad for a zillion years now. “Now I’m in this place where I know how to balance my life, and it’s great.”

Date: December 30, 2023 08:00PM

1-0 after 1. Shane, Bancroft, Robertson, Seger have all been great in this tounry so far.

Posted by: Iceberg (136.144.19.---)
Date: December 30, 2023 08:00PM

Stanley with a few well-timed pinches this weekend resulting in quality shots (including the goal yesterday). I wonder if they've been having him attack more after seeing his previous games because he's more noticeable on the offense now.

Posted by: HeafDog (172.59.195.---)
Date: December 30, 2023 08:14PM

Is there a bell here tonight? I have a bell but have never done it before and don't want to step on anyone's toes

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-209.myvzw.com)
Date: December 30, 2023 08:54PM

These ECAC Hockey commercials are killing me with the loud music and flashing screens.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2023 08:55PM

Really horrible penalty call on Walsh at the end of the period there.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-209.myvzw.com)
Date: December 30, 2023 09:00PM

BearLover
Really horrible penalty call on Walsh at the end of the period there.

The guy sold it well. Walsh got his stick tied with the ASU player, so he threw his arms up like he got hit. My guess is the ref who called it didn't see it well and just caught the reaction.

Date: December 30, 2023 09:19PM

These ads are a nightmare.

Date: December 30, 2023 09:21PM

16 of our 19 skaters have attempted at least one shot tonight, and Bancroft is not among them.

Posted by: Big Dingus (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 30, 2023 09:26PM

Have a bad feeling about this. Bearlover, please come in and bring some negativity

Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2023 09:57PM

Cornell hockey never wins tournament hardware. Simple as

Date: December 30, 2023 09:58PM

Tying two teams above us in PWR is not a tragedy. Just feels bad to have let leads slip away. Oh well... we'll be in Tempe if any if youse are joining us.

Date: December 30, 2023 09:59PM

blackwidow
Please stop.

Posted by: Big Dingus (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 30, 2023 10:01PM

ASU is a joke of a program anyway. Would never send my kid to that sorry excuse of “school”. Just one big party of degenerates

Posted by: chimpfood (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 30, 2023 10:07PM

Sucks, but probably not the worst to have some fire in our belly heading to Tempe.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2023 10:07PM

Trotsky
blackwidow
Please stop.

I'm relatively young here (only started watching cornell hockey since 2014) sorry for my recency bias.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-213.myvzw.com)
Date: December 30, 2023 10:15PM

Two ties on neutral ice against higher ranked OOC teams is just fine by me.

Date: December 30, 2023 10:23PM

Dafatone
It’s okay, but we are on the outside looking in. We aren’t going to make the NCAAs by treading water. I thought Cornell played decently this weekend overall. To me, that is the good news. But I think we are less likely to make the NCAAs after this weekend than we were prior—we really need to start winning games.

Date: December 30, 2023 10:23PM

Big Dingus
ASU is a joke of a program anyway. Would never send my kid to that sorry excuse of “school”. Just one big party of degenerates

My son-in-law is a graduate of ASU in Computer Science and I'd put him against a randomly chosen Cornell graduate of the same degree.

So, you know, suck it.

Date: December 30, 2023 10:25PM

BearLover
Dafatone
It’s okay, but we are on the outside looking in. We aren’t going to make the NCAAs by treading water. I thought Cornell played decently this weekend overall. To me, that is the good news. But I think we are less likely to make the NCAAs after this weekend than we were prior—we really need to start winning games.
We do. I do come away from this weekend with a good feeling about the rest of the season. Play well; the rating will come.

Date: December 30, 2023 10:27PM

blackwidow
Trotsky
blackwidow
Please stop.

I'm relatively young here (only started watching cornell hockey since 2014) sorry for my recency bias.
Misereátur tui omnípotens Deus, et dimíssis peccátis tuis, perdúcat te ad vitam ætérnam.

Date: December 30, 2023 10:29PM

BearLover
Dafatone

I think we're definitely in better shape now than we were. Uscho/chn don't seem interested in updating the pairwise tonight, but our RPI is higher than it was before this weekend. We're 3-0-2 out of conference against a pretty tough out of conference schedule.

If we play well in the rest of the season, we'll be in the hunt for a tournament spot.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.williscenter.org)
Date: December 30, 2023 10:29PM

I liked what we did in the shootout yesterday, walking the puck in close and then ripping a shot. Today we just tried to get the goalie to bite on a move and push it around him which didn’t really work. I don’t know if this was because of the smaller goalie, guys wanting to switch it up, or what, but I wish we would’ve just stuck with what worked.

Posted by: shafer (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2023 11:06PM

For the life of me, I don’t know why they resurfaced a stripe of ice for the shootout tonight but didn’t last night. They’ve got some really good ice on those rinks and we got to see full periods of high speed hockey.

Date: December 30, 2023 11:24PM

chimpfood
I liked what we did in the shootout yesterday, walking the puck in close and then ripping a shot. Today we just tried to get the goalie to bite on a move and push it around him which didn’t really work. I don’t know if this was because of the smaller goalie, guys wanting to switch it up, or what, but I wish we would’ve just stuck with what worked.
Funnily enough, Bancroft (who scored a shootout goal vs UMass) seemed to give away his strategy in the UMass post-game interview (though he did suggest it was specifically his strategy against bigger goalies). I imagine the ASU goalie was aware of the move he used the night before.

Date: December 30, 2023 11:27PM

Dafatone
BearLover
Dafatone

I think we're definitely in better shape now than we were. Uscho/chn don't seem interested in updating the pairwise tonight, but our RPI is higher than it was before this weekend. We're 3-0-2 out of conference against a pretty tough out of conference schedule.

If we play well in the rest of the season, we'll be in the hunt for a tournament spot.
Our RPI did improve from this weekend. However, because we are down in 21st, we can’t afford many more weekends of slight improvement. We need bigger jumps. Therefore, while our RPI improved, I think our odds of making the NCAAs didn’t increase.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 30, 2023 11:28PM

you had 3 chances to beat ASU and we tied one.. in theory we could tie and win next week and still beat them in the h2h..

The better teaam for long stretches, but they are a bit more dangerous when you make mistakes.

Date: December 30, 2023 11:33PM

BearLover
Dafatone
BearLover
Dafatone

Our RPI did improve from this weekend. However, because we are down in 21st, we can’t afford many more weekends of slight improvement. We need bigger jumps. Therefore, while our RPI improved, I think our odds of making the NCAAs didn’t increase.

It may be more the case that we can't afford to lose to any bad team, which means we have to sweep the rest of the conference slate except Q, which is practically impossible. We will get unlucky one night; it happens.

OTOH, our opponents in that 12-20 belt may all shit the bed and let us back in.

Date: December 30, 2023 11:37PM

Trotsky
BearLover
Dafatone
BearLover
Dafatone

It may be more the case that we can't afford to lose to any bad team, which means we have to sweep the rest of the conference slate except Q, which is practically impossible. We will get unlucky one night; it happens.

At the risk of sounding entirely tautological, I think we're gonna wind up where we deserve to wind up. If we play well in the conference down the stretch, we'll be in the hunt.

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 30, 2023 11:51PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
BearLover
Dafatone
BearLover
Dafatone

At the risk of sounding entirely tautological, I think we're gonna wind up where we deserve to wind up. If we play well in the conference down the stretch, we'll be in the hunt.

To quote that ancient philosopher Buckaroo Banzai, "...no matter where you go, there you are."

Posted by: arugula (---.s2163.c3-0.avec-cbr2.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: December 31, 2023 12:20AM

This is where the weakness of the conference really hurts. We are Harvard’s only win. Repeat that-H has one f-ing win!!! That hurts us in many ways. But generally, as mentioned above, we can’t afford to lose to anyone but Q and must win some of these OOC games.

Date: December 31, 2023 12:20AM

This is where the weakness of the conference really hurts. We are Harvard’s only win. Repeat that-H has one f-ing win!!! That hurts us in many ways. But generally, as mentioned above, we can’t afford to lose to anyone but Q and must win some of these OOC games.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2023 12:34AM

boy you were really serious about repeating that

Date: December 31, 2023 12:38AM

Chris H82
Dafatone
Trotsky
BearLover
Dafatone
BearLover
Dafatone

To quote that ancient philosopher Buckaroo Banzai, "...no matter where you go, there you are."

So What?

Big Deal.

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2023 02:00AM

Dafatone
I think we're definitely in better shape now than we were. Uscho/chn don't seem interested in updating the pairwise tonight,

don't know what you're looking at - but the Pairwise literally updates on CHN as each result comes in. It's recalculated on the fly. It did so tonight, like every other night.

Date: December 31, 2023 07:21AM

Our RPI is a function of our win % and strength of schedule. It does not matter how our wins and losses are distributed among our opponents. All that matters is the number of wins and losses. Beating Q and losing to Yale is the same as beating Yale and losing to Q.*

*except for the “quality win bonus, though I think that’s a minor factor

Date: December 31, 2023 08:59AM

adamw
Dafatone
I think we're definitely in better shape now than we were. Uscho/chn don't seem interested in updating the pairwise tonight,

don't know what you're looking at - but the Pairwise literally updates on CHN as each result comes in. It's recalculated on the fly. It did so tonight, like every other night.

It wasn't USCHO/CHN, but it was the rink. There was a noticeable delay after the game ended, so some intern forgot to hit send.

Date: December 31, 2023 09:05AM

ugarte

Yep. I’m from the anyone but Harvard school

Date: December 31, 2023 09:18AM

adamw
Dafatone

Thanks for the info. I think our rpi went down very slightly after this tie, which confuses me, but I don't quite remember what we were at beforehand, so I'm probably just mistaken.

Date: December 31, 2023 11:34AM

Dafatone
adamw
Dafatone

Thanks for the info. I think our rpi went down very slightly after this tie, which confuses me, but I don't quite remember what we were at beforehand, so I'm probably just mistaken.
Could also be other former opponents losing.

Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 31, 2023 03:39PM

arugula
ugarte

UConn up 1-0 over that team we love to hate late in the 1st.

Posted by: Big Dingus (172.58.240.---)
Date: December 31, 2023 07:29PM

Yea not sure many people think the same about ASU. Glad your son in law is happy though
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2023 07:31PM by Big Dingus.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-244-146.myvzw.com)
Date: December 31, 2023 07:52PM

marty
arugula
ugarte

UConn up 1-0 over that team we love to hate late in the 1st.

UConn wins 4-2. Since beating us, Harvard has lost six in a row being outscored 24-10.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login