Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the pros 23-24

Posted by Chris '03 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Alumni in the pros 23-24
Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2024 11:20AM

jtwcornell91
Brianne Jenner '15 is on the roster for Canada in the upcoming IIHF Women's World Championship in Utica (only a 2 hour drive from Ithaca):

[www.cbc.ca]

Apparently, she also plays for Ottawa in the new Professional Women's Hockey League, which I just learned did not bother to choose nicknames or logos for its teams before starting play this season.

Kristin O’Neill and Jamie Bourbannais also are on the Team Canada roster and are both playing in the PWHL.

(The US roster won’t be announced until the end of the month, but Rory Guilday, Izzy Daniel and Annelies Bergmann will all be at the selection camp. Edit: So will Grace Dwyer.)

[teamusa.usahockey.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2024 03:50PM by Weder.

Posted by: VIEWfromK (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 11, 2024 10:30AM

Jeff Malott is on a tear in the AHL. He has seven goals and four assists in his past seven games including a hat trick last Wednesday against Anthony Angello and Milwaukee.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.nat.upenn.edu)
Date: March 11, 2024 12:20PM

VIEWfromK
Jeff Malott is on a tear in the AHL. He has seven goals and four assists in his past seven games including a hat trick last Wednesday against Anthony Angello and Milwaukee.

If he were playing for a team in a rebuild phase, he would've gotten some additional NHL games, i feel like. Oh well, he at least has one game under his belt

Date: March 11, 2024 08:47PM

Does this count? One that got away.

[www.prohockeyrumors.com]

Posted by: chimpfood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 11, 2024 08:51PM

VIEWfromK

pretty sure he got kicked out for doing some not so great stuff so I’m not too heart broken.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-244-145.myvzw.com)
Date: March 11, 2024 11:34PM

chimpfood
VIEWfromK

pretty sure he got kicked out for doing some not so great stuff so I’m not too heart broken.
huh. i thought he was unhappy with his ice time.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2024 11:58PM

chimpfood
VIEWfromK

Kicked off the hockey team or expelled from Cornell?

Date: March 12, 2024 07:48AM

ugarte
chimpfood
VIEWfromK

huh. i thought he was unhappy with his ice time.
could be, I don’t know for sure but the fact that he left at the same time as joe Howe and Ben Tupker backs up what I’ve heard.

Date: March 12, 2024 08:06AM

BearLover
chimpfood
VIEWfromK

I would assume just kicked off the team but it’s all rumors really. Only reason that I believe them is because it explains joe Howe leaving after his freshman year and not joining another team, ertel leaving after his freshman year despite playing almost every day, and ben tupker leaving a better team where he played everyday with his brother to go to union.

Date: March 12, 2024 09:47AM

chimpfood
BearLover
chimpfood
VIEWfromK

I would assume just kicked off the team but it’s all rumors really. Only reason that I believe them is because it explains joe Howe leaving after his freshman year and not joining another team, ertel leaving after his freshman year despite playing almost every day, and ben tupker leaving a better team where he played everyday with his brother to go to union.
This post doesn’t make any sense without explaining what the rumor is …

Posted by: CAS (104.28.55.---)
Date: March 12, 2024 09:50AM

Ben Tupker graduated from Cornell & is playing as a graduate student at Union.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-0.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2024 10:17AM

And hes their captain. I doubt they would've made him their captain if his character was in doubt

Posted by: chimpfood (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 12, 2024 11:03AM

I heard that some guys were kicked off for doing coke at a party, tupker transferred after his junior year, hence Zach being here alone for a season.

Posted by: CAS (104.28.55.---)
Date: March 12, 2024 11:08AM

Ben Tupker graduated with honors from ILR

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hsd1.ut.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2024 11:17AM

chimpfood
I heard that some guys were kicked off for doing coke at a party, tupker transferred after his junior year, hence Zach being here alone for a season.

Hey Chimbrain, enough with your uninformed nonsense. Ever hear of defamation of character?

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-216-224.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2024 11:27AM

scoop85
chimpfood

Hey Chimbrain, enough with your uninformed nonsense. Ever hear of defamation of character?
Probably 10-20% of Cornell students, and 75+% of members of certain frats/sororities, “do coke at a party” at some point. Also, a number of players leave the hockey team/graduate early every year, for a variety of reasons. Unless chimp has information that is a bit less, ahem, circumstantial than what he has offered up, I will consider this pure speculation. Tupker in particular likely had nothing to do with it, even if it were true—and the fact chimp is citing Tupker’s situation as related calls into question the whole thing, IMO. BTW, Schafer praised Tupker as a great kid after he was at Union.

Date: March 12, 2024 12:00PM

Again, not saying it’s true, it just explains things that I didn’t have an explanation for otherwise. And I would say there is a difference between just doing coke at a party and getting caught doing coke at a party when you are the most recognizable students on campus, it would be a terrible look for the team. Obviously I hope that this is not the reason that these guys left but does anyone know if howes departure was ever explained? Not saying that with lack of another explanation that he did coke or anything, just curious.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-216.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2024 12:04PM

I figured Howe wanted to play and realized Shane had usurped him.

Date: March 12, 2024 12:33PM

Dafatone
yeah, just strikes me as a strange move to leave a team because you want to play and then never join another team.

Posted by: Iceberg (199.49.20.---)
Date: March 12, 2024 12:52PM

I don't think chimpfood's post is totally without merit, although I won't comment on whether the drug story is true or not. I meant to post about this at some point and the mention of Howe jogged my memory.

Within the past year, I met a recent alumnus who was on one of the other athletic teams on campus and was somewhat close with enough of the guys on the hockey team in the 2021-22 season. Now as some of you probably know, athletes have plenty of mixers and other social events together during the academic year so I'd say this person was credible and he/she had no reason to lie or make up stories.

We were talking about the performance of the hockey team this season and the topic of Shane came up. I commented how it's amazing that Shane, who had been the third string goaltender his first year, rose to become the starter due to injuries and the poor performance of the two guys ahead of him. When I mentioned Howe in particular, this person quickly responded that it wasn't just injuries but also something he did off the ice that violated school policy or local laws (he/she didn't elaborate) that resulted in his being kicked off the team along with at least one other player at the time.

Regardless of the circumstances, I'm glad we've had Shane in net for the better part of the past three seasons
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2024 12:54PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-216.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2024 01:03PM

chimpfood
Dafatone
yeah, just strikes me as a strange move to leave a team because you want to play and then never join another team.

Huh. I didn't realize he wasn't playing at all.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-216-224.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2024 02:21PM

Iceberg
I don't think chimpfood's post is totally without merit, although I won't comment on whether the drug story is true or not. I meant to post about this at some point and the mention of Howe jogged my memory.

Within the past year, I met a recent alumnus who was on one of the other athletic teams on campus and was somewhat close with enough of the guys on the hockey team in the 2021-22 season. Now as some of you probably know, athletes have plenty of mixers and other social events together during the academic year so I'd say this person was credible and he/she had no reason to lie or make up stories.

We were talking about the performance of the hockey team this season and the topic of Shane came up. I commented how it's amazing that Shane, who had been the third string goaltender his first year, rose to become the starter due to injuries and the poor performance of the two guys ahead of him. When I mentioned Howe in particular, this person quickly responded that it wasn't just injuries but also something he did off the ice that violated school policy or local laws (he/she didn't elaborate) that resulted in his being kicked off the team along with at least one other player at the time.

Regardless of the circumstances, I'm glad we've had Shane in net for the better part of the past three seasons
For what it’s worth: following the 2021-22 season, four players left the team prior to using their four years of eligibility: Howe, Ertel, and Dan Mcyntire (all freshmen), and B. Tupker (graduated early).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2024 09:18PM

Pretty much every rumor I have heard about Cornell hockey players for the last 40 years has been uncorroborated if not exposed later as deliberately malicious.

Date: March 17, 2024 11:56PM

Another shootout winner for Malott on Friday. Traditional celebration

[www.youtube.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2024 12:03AM by VIEWfromK.

Posted by: sah67 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2024 03:18PM

The Jets are getting blown out 6-1 by the Isles (halfway through the 3rd), but Barron is going for the Gordie Howe hat trick with an assist and a fight already under his belt. The "fight" wasn't much to to write home about, but the video is here:
[bleacherreport.com]

Posted by: ER (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 09:43AM

Probably frustrated because the season kept getting canceled.

Posted by: ER (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 10:18AM

Wow those are some bold, completely unsubstantiated projections. I was in the Greek system and never knew of or saw anyone “doing coke” at a party. I don’t even think it was a thing when I was in school. Way to perpetuate the rumors that all Greeks like to do is party though.

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2024 10:46AM

ER
Wow those are some bold, completely unsubstantiated projections. I was in the Greek system and never knew of or saw anyone “doing coke” at a party. I don’t even think it was a thing when I was in school. Way to perpetuate the rumors that all Greeks like to do is party though.

When I was a Greek, coke was something you mixed with rum to get your date drunk.

Seriously though, while there are certainly bad actors in the Greek system, helping manage a small enterprise in college, helped me later in my career. You get out, what you put in.

Date: March 24, 2024 12:29PM

ER
Not sure when you attended Cornell, but I know for a fact there are multiple fraternities and sororities where doing coke is commonplace. There is nothing unique about Cornell in this respect. You put a bunch of rich kids who like to party in one place, that’s what you’re gonna get.

Posted by: imafrshmn (185.141.119.---)
Date: March 24, 2024 12:48PM

BearLover
ER
Not sure when you attended Cornell, but I know for a fact there are multiple fraternities and sororities where doing coke is commonplace. There is nothing unique about Cornell in this respect. You put a bunch of rich kids who like to party in one place, that’s what you’re gonna get.

And, dare i say it, it's not a huge deal, scandal, or outrage.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm3.ptd.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 01:23PM

Watching the replay of last night's Lehigh Valley versus Bridgeport game. Both Bardreau and Kubiak playing for Bridgeport.

Kubiak was referred to as a "veteran player." Really?

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 02:07PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Watching the replay of last night's Lehigh Valley versus Bridgeport game. Both Bardreau and Kubiak playing for Bridgeport.

He's been in the AHL since 2017, so, yeah?

Date: March 24, 2024 02:08PM

ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82

He's been in the AHL since 2017, so, yeah?

I know, but I think of "veteran" as somebody in their mid-30's.

Posted by: ER (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 02:12PM

Pretty sure it is or would be to coach Schafer or any of the other varsity coaches. Engaging in illegal activity is a big deal.

Posted by: imafrshmn (185.141.119.---)
Date: March 24, 2024 02:24PM

ER
Pretty sure it is or would be to coach Schafer or any of the other varsity coaches. Engaging in illegal activity is a big deal.

i don't disagree. i'm speaking about the notion that regular cornell students might do this

Date: April 07, 2024 03:41PM

Kristin O'Neill with 2 goals and an assist (so far) in Canada's game against Chechia in the Women's Worlds today. The announcers also mentioned that she went to Cornell "in nearby Ithaca."

Posted by: Roy 82 (136.226.6.---)
Date: April 10, 2024 07:52PM

Jacob MacDonald has been seeing some good ice time with the Sharks. He scored last night in a losing effort.

The Sharks have also been giving a fair amount of ice time to some new guy named Colin Graf. Name rings a bell. :) He was on the second line and had an assist.

Henry Thrun has been a regular on the Sharks blue line all season. So there is no accounting for taste. The Sharks GM, Mike Grier, is a former BU player.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2024 07:53PM by Roy 82.

Posted by: abmarks (107.122.241.---)
Date: April 18, 2024 11:26PM

Malone and zach tupker sign pro deals.

Malone to AHL, Tupker to ECHL

[cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 23, 2024 12:00PM

Anybody know about what percentage of current NHL hockey players are college graduates? I would like to see how this number compares to the percentage of college graduates playing in other major professional sports.

Date: April 23, 2024 12:10PM

osorojo
Anybody know about what percentage of current NHL hockey players are college graduates? I would like to see how this number compares to the percentage of college graduates playing in other major professional sports.
[collegehockeyinc.com]

Comparing hockey to other sports doesn’t make much sense. For example, almost 100% of NFL players are Americans who had no options besides playing NCAA football. Hockey is a worldwide sport where college the primary means of reaching the NHL only for a subset of players (mostly those hailing from the U.S.).

Maybe your question is specifically about those who earned their degree, not just attended college. I’m not sure what the point would be of measuring that either, though. The NFL allows players to leave college after three years, the NBA one, etc. Comparing these sports to hockey is yet another apples-to-oranges comparison.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2024 03:46PM

There'd be a big story on this if Caitlin Clark got drafted.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2024 03:50PM

One in four NHLers have been to college. Per AI:

Google AI answer to "nhl percentage college playrs"
Roughly 25% of NHL players have played college hockey, but the majority come from Major Juniors. In 2021–2022, 48 NCAA Division I schools had an alum playing in the NHL, which is a 65% increase from 2002–2003, when 21.1% of NHL players were NCAA alumni.
The NHL generally draws players from Major Juniors, with almost 50% playing in US or Canadian Major Junior, and the rest coming from European leagues.
The odds of making it to the NHL are around 5% or less, and players who aren't generational talents like Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid may end up in junior or minor leagues for their entire careers.
FWIW.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2024 06:42PM

billhoward
One in four NHLers have been to college.
The rest are from Quinnipiac.

Date: April 23, 2024 09:58PM

Barron not playing for the jets in the playoffs after playing almost the entire regular season :(.

Date: April 23, 2024 10:12PM

Apparently he is injured. Not sure how I missed that.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-214.myvzw.com)
Date: April 23, 2024 10:12PM

chimpfood

Yup. There goes pretty much my only rooting interest.

Posted by: Roy 82 (136.226.6.---)
Date: April 23, 2024 10:37PM

billhoward

The odds of making it to the NHL are around 5% or less, and players who aren't generational talents like Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid may end up in junior or minor leagues for their entire careers.
FWIW.
Wow, it is good to know that I have a 1 in 20 chance (or less?) of making it to the NHL. It might be worth a shot at those odds. I realize that I am no Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid and so I might end up in the minor leagues.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 24, 2024 08:34AM

chimpfood

Yes, "lower body injury" in the last regular season game. Probably out about a week.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-244-144.myvzw.com)
Date: April 24, 2024 09:50AM

Assuming that’s so he’ll get back in. He was a constant in Winnipeg. Alumnus adjacent Adam Lowry is killing it for the Jets.

Posted by: billhoward (---.keznews.com)
Date: April 24, 2024 12:34PM

Maybe the near-binary choice made by this near-sentient researcher described it as superstars or nobodies who drift back to the juniors. There is a reasonable number of college drafted college players who may have ~5-year NHL careers punctuated by one or two trips back to the minors. You make money that the majority of your college classmates 1-5 years out do not.

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2024 03:29PM

billhoward

Roughly 25% of NHL players have played college hockey, but the majority come from Major Juniors. In 2021–2022, 48 NCAA Division I schools had an alum playing in the NHL, which is a 65% increase from 2002–2003, when 21.1% of NHL players were NCAA alumni.
The NHL generally draws players from Major Juniors, with almost 50% playing in US or Canadian Major Junior, and the rest coming from European leagues.
FWIW.

AI is wrong. Go figure. The number is over 30% now.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2024 02:06PM

[www.amny.com]

Nice mention of Brian Hayward by Patrick Roy, talking about goalie tandems as he made a switch to Sorokin.

Amidst a decision to change goalies during their first-round series against the Carolina Hurricanes, New York Islanders head coach Patrick Roy was reminded of an old analogy made by his former goaltending coach with the Montreal Canadiens, Francois Allaire, while texting with his dad on Thursday morning ahead of Game 3.

Allaire would call Roy’s backup, Brian Hayward, a Cadillac. A smooth, dependable car that helped create one of the best goalie tandems alongside Roy from 1986-1990, featuring three William Jennings Trophies, which is awarded annually to the netminding duo that allows the fewest goals in the NHL.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login