Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

game chat on slack (invite inside)

Posted by pfibiger 
game chat on slack (invite inside)
Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 05, 2023 08:54AM

Looks like we unearthed and semi-resuscitated the slack-based game chat. Here's the link for anyone who wants to join next weekend:

[join.slack.com]

Given that Elon Musk ruined Age's live tweeting games, this is both great to chat during the games and for following the game when you're stuck at an event and can't watch video.

Re: game chat on slack (invite inside)
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2023 09:38AM

eLynah is fine for me.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2023 09:50AM

I agree, there are a lot more people here than you may think that just read the forum and don’t comment. I think a move to slack would not draw them in to commenting, but push them away. Why not just use game threads like slack?

Date: November 05, 2023 10:54AM

I’m not suggesting moving away from elynah — in the brown thread people were pining about missing elynah chat and had rejoined the slack we had a few years ago. I just wanted to make the invite link visible in case people wanted it.

Date: November 05, 2023 11:28AM

pfibiger
I’m not suggesting moving away from elynah — in the brown thread people were pining about missing elynah chat and had rejoined the slack we had a few years ago. I just wanted to make the invite link visible in case people wanted it.
I'm not pining.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2023 11:46AM

Discord will kill this forum, if enough people switch. Slack during games won’t kill the forum, but will hurt it a bit, since a lot of people won’t use slack and will just continue posting on game threads that will get a lot less traffic with people using slack. I vote to keep things confined to ELynah since I like having everybody in one place given the limited size of this community, but it’s probably not a huge deal.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 05, 2023 12:02PM

Some other sites I used to use changed to Discord and now I rarely go there at all. It really is more for interactive use. This site is good because it allows to you see comments in real time but also is easy to go back and see a thread after a games is over.. Thats great for when you are at athe game and want to see what people thought about play.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: November 05, 2023 12:09PM

Personally, I have never tried Telegram or Discord and have no desire to do so. I'm going to be a luddite and stick with ELynah. I enjoy going on between periods to see what people are saying about the game. If eLynah members branch out into other platforms, that's obviously their choice. But hopefully enough of us will stay on ELynah to make it still an enjoyable and informative forum to discuss the Big Red.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 05, 2023 02:40PM

I only suggested Discord on the other thread because we just got a Discord Server for birdwatching in Pennsylvania. The goal there was to consolidate all the text message WeChats and all the Facebook pages into a single place. We tend to use it much like this forum, that is to post messages with one or two responses rather than to live chat. However, I realized that it could be used for live chat and that's why suggested it.

I'm really indifferent to whatever method people chose to use. But I would certainly prefer to use something that would not lead to the end of eLynah.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2023 02:45PM

I did use the Slack chat a few years ago when it was active, but I’m perfectly happy using game threads here. All this seems to me to be a solution in search of a nonexistent problem.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-240.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2023 03:00PM

A chat of some sort would be nice. But I'm usually watching games on my phone without another device nearby, and until ESPN allows for picture-in-picture on Android, I can't watch games and do other things at the same time.

Posted by: dag14 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2023 09:35PM

And all because I said I missed the eLynah chat. Why can't that be resuscitated? Forgive me my ignorance if there was an obvious issue or an announcement that accompanied the discontinuation that I missed. My excuse is that I am getting old and am not as sharp as I used to be.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2023 10:11PM

All for it. If anything it will stop the posts that just say “goal by so and so” and add nothing

Date: November 06, 2023 07:59AM

dag14
And all because I said I missed the eLynah chat. Why can't that be resuscitated? Forgive me my ignorance if there was an obvious issue or an announcement that accompanied the discontinuation that I missed. My excuse is that I am getting old and am not as sharp as I used to be.

It became impossible for Age to maintain — I forget if there was a bug or it was a vector for attacking elynah. Slack was no maintenance and almost as good (and better on mobile)

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: November 06, 2023 09:31AM

Slack's fine for game chat, and then eLynah for the rest of the week.

Posted by: Will (---.coecis.cornell.edu)
Date: November 06, 2023 11:17AM

Trotsky
This is the way.

Posted by: dag14 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2023 01:18PM

When I retired from my Cornell job, I started spending a lot of the winter in Florida, which is why I really appreciated the chat. It wasn't the same as standing at a game and talking with the people around me about the play. But in some ways it was better because most of the people on the chat have a better sense of humor that some of my Lynah cohorts. And a better perspective on Cornell hockey since they have been fans for so long.

Posted by: Dunc (199.79.156.---)
Date: November 06, 2023 02:24PM

Trotsky

The only issue with this is you have to pay to see old messages in slack which would kind of suck not to have game chat saved for later reference

Date: November 06, 2023 02:25PM

Dunc
Trotsky

The only issue with this is you have to pay to see old messages in slack which would kind of suck not to have game chat saved for later reference
Right. Thanks.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: November 06, 2023 02:48PM

I'm not sure I would go back to look at an old chat. It's the spontaneity and kinship of sharing the game I like.

How's the legless metaverse coming along?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2023 01:12PM

pfibiger
Given that Elon Musk ruined Age's live tweeting games, this is both great to chat during the games and for following the game when you're stuck at an event and can't watch video.

No love for Mastodon? [hostux.social]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Leprechaun (73.219.189.---)
Date: January 24, 2024 10:23AM

Is game chat still happening on Slack?

The invite links have timed out.

Posted by: Dunc (199.79.156.---)
Date: January 24, 2024 07:04PM

Leprechaun
Is game chat still happening on Slack?

The invite links have timed out.

Nah that experiment once again failed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login