Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Empty seats at Lynah

Posted by 617BigRed 
Empty seats at Lynah
Posted by: 617BigRed (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2023 05:51PM

So if you watched on ESPN+ this weekend, sure you saw many empty seats, think due to just being first two games of the season, expected to lose these games, the new complex ticket plans, people just not being much into hockey anymore? Sad to see, but looks like may be a special season after all so hopefully will be packed for our home games going forward!

Re: Empty seats at Lynah
Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: October 30, 2023 06:10PM

I think the reason they sold all the seats was the effort to sell packages, as season ticket sales were somewhat down.

STs are crazy expensive now and all the games are on TV for a cheap price.

just looking at upcoming games the Harvard/Dart weekend is pretty much sold out. Other than that is business as usual.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2023 07:23PM

How much do season tickets cost this year? They need to reduce the price. We discussed this topic on here like ten years ago and I think we concluded Cornell hockey games are more expensive on a per game basis than any other college hockey team’s.

At the very least, they need to reduce the price of student tickets. Section A was empty this weekend. When I mentioned this in another thread, someone told me I was making it up.

Posted by: CAS (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: October 30, 2023 08:19PM

Cornell reported that attendance was 4,316 for both games last weekend, which must be a sell out or close to it. Obviously some ticket holders don’t make it to the games. Most season tickets cost less than $20/game. Although I support lower ticket prices, I think Cornell hockey tix are a very good value. I doubt Cornell tix are more expensive than at many other colleges. Season tix at less than $20/game is the townie price - student tix prices are lower.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2023 08:33PM by CAS.

Date: October 30, 2023 08:36PM

CAS
Cornell reported that attendance was 4,316 for both games last weekend, which must be a sell out or close to it. Obviously some ticket holders don’t make it to the games. Most season tickets cost less than $20/game. Although I support lower ticket prices, I think Cornell hockey tix are a very good value. I doubt Cornell tix are more expensive than at many other colleges.
I believe the conclusion on this forum was that Cornell season tickets were similarly priced to other schools’, but Cornell plays fewer games, meaning Lynah tickets were more expensive on a per game basis than elsewhere. In any case, I completely agree tickets are a great value, but I’m a hopelessly addicted fan, like everyone else here. To a freshman who isn’t a hockey fan, $250 or whatever season tickets cost these days is far too steep a price to be worth considering.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.39.---)
Date: October 30, 2023 08:47PM

CAS
Cornell reported that attendance was 4,316 for both games last weekend, which must be a sell out or close to it. Obviously some ticket holders don’t make it to the games. Most season tickets cost less than $20/game. Although I support lower ticket prices, I think Cornell hockey tix are a very good value. I doubt Cornell tix are more expensive than at many other colleges. Season tix at less than $20/game is the townie price - student tix prices are lower.

SRO at Yale Fri is eight bucks. Same thing at Harvard last year was 30 I think. It seems to be more varied than in the past.

I thought the crowd, even when it filled in, looked weak this weekend. I don't know the reason but I would guess that Duluth lacks name recognition among casual fans. And if people aren't conditioned to go to every game, it's an easy series to skip for Halloween festivities.

Date: October 30, 2023 09:13PM

If the games aren’t selling out, Cornell needs to reduce ticket prices. Seems like whoever makes these decisions would rather maximize short term profits than create the best Lynah atmosphere. How many casual hockey fans would spend hundreds of dollars on season tickets? Most students could never afford that.

Posted by: Dunc (199.79.156.---)
Date: October 30, 2023 09:41PM

BearLover
How much do season tickets cost this year? They need to reduce the price. We discussed this topic on here like ten years ago and I think we concluded Cornell hockey games are more expensive on a per game basis than any other college hockey team’s.

At the very least, they need to reduce the price of student tickets. Section A was empty this weekend. When I mentioned this in another thread, someone told me I was making it up.

You were not making it up in regards to Friday's game, (There was a max of 10 people other than the band in section A and they were all sitting down)

However, Saturday's Section A attendance was much more promising looking to be almost 50% full with much more energy and with people standing

(Source: I'm in section B near the AB Aisle)

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2023 12:51AM

Dunc
You were not making it up in regards to Friday's game, (There was a max of 10 people other than the band in section A and they were all sitting down)

And the two service dogs. Don't forget the service dogs.

Was anyone else worried for the dogs' welfare, being so close to the band? I googled it, and anything above 85 decibels can damage a dog's hearing. In Section M the band was regularly at 87- 89 decibels pregame, according to an app on my phone. I have to think in Section A they would be significantly louder.

I was pleased to see the service dogs were not in A Saturday night, though there was a different service dog in C.

Date: October 31, 2023 09:13AM

Townies fill the bldg but student drive the building.. the biggest difference over the last 25 years is that the kids have declined in interest.

Season tickers were in the range of $350. $20 a ticket is more than a movie ticket.

The big deal is demand is down so other than Harvard you can pick and choose to spend the $20 when you want and not worry about seeing any other game. 30 yrs ago when it was sold out if you couldnt get season tickets you had a hard time getting in the building

Now you have easy re-sale tickets to buy with less demand

I had 4 seasons then 2 and I couldnt give them away any more, no one wanted them when i couldnt attend.

Date: October 31, 2023 09:20AM

$350, can that really be true? That is $27/game. Way too expensive for a college hockey game. The money doesn’t even go to the hockey team.

Date: October 31, 2023 09:29AM

15 games at $20 is $300.. but the Harvard game was more than $20. it also includes the playoff games which is controlled by ECAC pricing.

Posted by: CAS (104.28.55.---)
Date: October 31, 2023 09:41AM

Season tix also include the 2 exhibition games (&
a Cornell cap this year). With ECAC playoff tix, that’s 17 or 18 home games. The best reason
though to buy season tix is that it supports Cornell Big Red hockey.

Date: October 31, 2023 09:52AM

CAS
Season tix also include the 2 exhibition games (&
a Cornell cap this year). With ECAC playoff tix, that’s 17 or 18 home games. The best reason
though to buy season tix is that it supports Cornell Big Red hockey.
I thought the money goes to the athletic department, not directly to the hockey team. If it went directly to the hockey team I’d at least feel the justification for maximizing profits made sense.

I, someone who regularly posts on a Cornell Hockey forum, would certainly pay more than $300 for season tickets. That is not the point of this conversation, though—the point is what an average person would be willing to pay. Lynah has plenty of empty seats, and those need to be filled. Most glaringly, student attendance is weak and has been for years at this point. Cornell needs to reduce the price of season tickets, specifically student tickets.

Who is in charge of this stuff?

Date: October 31, 2023 10:01AM

this was the announcement back in April

Premium Seating: $469
Premium Seating includes reserved seats in the balcony area, with access to alcoholic beverage purchases at games.
Tier One: $399
Tier One seating includes Section M, all seats located in the top row of Sections L and N, and Balcony Standing Room. Tier One tickets located in the Balcony Standing Room area also include access to alcoholic beverage purchases at games.
Tier Two: $359
Tier Two seating includes rows 1-13 in Sections L and N, and all seats located in the top row and on the glass of Sections G, H, J, K and O.
Tier Three: $329
Tier Three seating includes all remaining seats (rows 2-13) in Sections G, H, J, K and O, and all of Section F (a general admission section).

No idea how much student prices were.

I saw Penn state was about $175 for students

Since the cornell announced a sell out basically maybe the students bought the tickets but dont always show up?

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: October 31, 2023 10:26AM

BearLover
$350, can that really be true? That is $27/game. Way too expensive for a college hockey game. The money doesn’t even go to the hockey team.
I don't know that it is any more expensive than tickets in our day.

$27 now equals $8.28 of purchasing power 40 years ago with an average inflation rate of 3%.

That looks exactly on beam.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2023 10:28AM by Trotsky.

Date: October 31, 2023 10:31AM

I’m not arguing against lowering ticket prices, which I support. My point is I believe Cornell hockey tickets at less than $20/game for townies (& cheaper for students) - with no seat more than 14 rows from the ice - is a great value.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2023 10:33AM

Trotsky
BearLover

$27 now equals $8.28 of purchasing power 40 years ago with an average inflation rate of 3%.

Depends whose "day" you mean by "our day." In the early 60s it was a $25 CUAA coupon book that got a student into every sports event.

Date: October 31, 2023 10:36AM

Trotsky
BearLover

To me its because things have changed.. in the 80s I had cost to live/gas/food etc.

Now I have cell phones/internet/cable/streaming Give me back that 3-400 a month and 5000 a yr can be spent on fun stuff..

Finding $60-100 to buy season tickets in the 80-90s no big deal even when not making much.. finding $700 now, even when i make a ton more doesnt feel the same

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: October 31, 2023 10:52AM

I don't know why we are having this discussion, since according to the Cornell Athletics Department there were no unsold tickets for the opening weekend.
"Senior forward Gabriel Seger and junior goaltender Ian Shane have both been recognized by ECAC Hockey for their performances in the Big Red's sweep of No. 11-ranked Minnesota Duluth last weekend in front of a pair of over-capacity crowds at Lynah Rink."

Date: October 31, 2023 11:01AM

Reported attendance of 4,316 for both games is actually higher than what was the prior Lynah capacity of 4,267 (maybe the balcony standing room?).

Date: October 31, 2023 11:05AM

Check out Section A in these pics:

[www.cornellhockeyassociation.com]

Doesn’t look “over capacity” to me.

Posted by: Will (---.coecis.cornell.edu)
Date: October 31, 2023 11:18AM

BearLover

So the seats are empty, but apparently still sold according to the reported attendance figures. Assuming it's students buying the tickets for unfilled seats, it's not really a question of lowering tickets prices to attract student buyers. The real question is how to convert them into attending fans.

Date: October 31, 2023 11:20AM

andyw2100

Was anyone else worried for the dogs' welfare, being so close to the band? I googled it, and anything above 85 decibels can damage a dog's hearing. In Section M the band was regularly at 87- 89 decibels pregame, according to an app on my phone. I have to think in Section A they would be significantly louder.

One of the two service dogs I was worried about: (photo by Ned Dykes)

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-214.myvzw.com)
Date: October 31, 2023 11:25AM

I think $350 is a lot of money to a lot of students, but I also think it's very little money to a lot of students. And I suspect those students are also more likely to buy tickets and not bother going because a) the investment is so little to them that they don't feel like they have to go in order to not waste the money and b) they're more likely to afford other things to do on hockey nights.

If dropping prices got more interest and better student fans, I'd be for it. And I do think, on average, students for whom ticket prices are a big commitment are more likely to go to every game than those who don't care about the prices. But it's not like the tickets aren't selling.

Date: October 31, 2023 11:25AM

Will
BearLover

So the seats are empty, but apparently still sold according to the reported attendance figures. Assuming it's students buying the tickets for unfilled seats, it's not really a question of lowering tickets prices to attract student buyers. The real question is how to convert them into attending fans.
I agree with you, assuming that’s the case. But in my opinion the fact one of the most hotly desired sections (A) is almost completely empty, while two others (C and D) appear to be almost half empty, calls into question whether these tickets were really sold. Maybe I’m wrong, but seems a lot of attendance figures manage to fudge the numbers to make tickers sales appear higher than they really are. I guess we’ll have to see what attendance looks like going forward.

Date: October 31, 2023 11:26AM

it is a good question on where all the students were in section A sold or not. Its not like it was randomly empty.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2023 11:29AM

This is Lynah Rink for Minnesota-Duluth, 5 minutes past the start time. So the "over-capacity crowd of 4,316" (per Cornell PR) is, ah, still filing in. Photos from Section M, the townie-faculty-old alumni section at center ice behind the visitor bench.

The crowd certainly filled in somewhat, as the game got going. Both nights. Section B, the second section in on the Cornell-bench side, was definitely well filled in, as per usual. Could it be a lot of students were dining with the parents since this was Parents or Family Weekend?

Panorama: 7:04 pm Friday. Second photo: 7:22 pm, first Cornell goal.

Date: October 31, 2023 11:35AM

It's possible the fire marshall cleared out the over part of the capacity crowd and got a little overzealous.

Just as anytime a country is called the Peoples' Democratic / Free / Independent Republic it most certainly is not any of them, when the home team's stories talk about over-capacity, maybe there's an under-capacity issue. Perhaps Cornell counts tickets sold but not used?

For any other ECAC school this would be an excellent turnout.

Date: October 31, 2023 11:56AM

Al DeFlorio
Depends whose "day" you mean by "our day." In the early 60s it was a $25 CUAA coupon book that got a student into every sports event.

Well, in the early 60s we sucked. Supply and demand. Do we still just give free football tix to students?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2023 11:58AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2023 12:18PM

Trotsky

Al DeFlorio

Well, in the early 60s we sucked. Supply and demand. Do we still just give free football tix to students?

I had a CUAA book 64-68. Harkness years when we SO did not suck. Don't know how they handled overflow, I'm sure there were times when that happened.

Football was not included in the book if I recall corectly, but the coupon was good for a discount. Might be time to resurrect the CUAA Book (which only students could buy) and do the same thing for hockey.

And yeah, give free football tix to students. Pizza too.

Posted by: marty (---.ip190.fastwebnet.it)
Date: October 31, 2023 12:18PM

andyw2100
andyw2100

Could you tell if they got their "Service Dog" uniforms on FleaBay or were they the Amazon variety?

Date: October 31, 2023 12:20PM

If students are going to the fit-rec center instead of Cornell basketball, hockey or football, that seems okay. Sportsing rather than watch others sportsing.

Maybe there needs to be stronger WiFi in Lynah, Bartels, etcetera so you're not bored waiting for the puck drop.

Date: October 31, 2023 12:23PM

The lack of cell/wifi in lynah is amazing. Even on empty day its bad.

Date: October 31, 2023 12:50PM

upprdeck
The lack of cell/wifi in lynah is amazing.
It is one of the best things about it.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cdn77.com)
Date: October 31, 2023 01:01PM

TimV
Trotsky

Al DeFlorio

I had a CUAA book 64-68. Harkness years when we SO did not suck. Don't know how they handled overflow, I'm sure there were times when that happened.

Football was not included in the book if I recall corectly, but the coupon was good for a discount. Might be time to resurrect the CUAA Book (which only students could buy) and do the same thing for hockey.

The fact that back then one had to camp out overnight to get season tickets made them more valuable. Adding the value of one's time to the price made season tickets something that one would not want to waste. Moreover, if one had some other event, it was easy to find someone to take the ticket. So real attendance, as opposed to formal attendance (tickets sold), was never an issue.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2023 01:02PM by Swampy.

Date: October 31, 2023 01:24PM

Trotsky
upprdeck
The lack of cell/wifi in lynah is amazing.
It is one of the best things about it.

not if you actually need to be on call when in the bldg or work there.

not being able to track out of town scores or watch replays or stream another event like a cornell BBALL game thats important.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2023 01:57PM

andyw2100
andyw2100

The dog seems more focused on the game than many of the fans

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: October 31, 2023 02:33PM

scoop85
andyw2100
andyw2100

The dog seems more focused on the game than many of the fans

I kinda wanna see more dogs in the front row. Moreso if they run along the glass back and forth trying to get after the puck.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: October 31, 2023 03:45PM

Call the studio. "There's no rule that a dog can't be the goalie!"

Date: October 31, 2023 03:47PM

French Rage
I kinda wanna see more dogs in the front row. Moreso if they run along the glass back and forth trying to get after the puck.

IINM I have seen this at Houston Field House.

Date: October 31, 2023 04:16PM

marty
andyw2100
andyw2100

Could you tell if they got their "Service Dog" uniforms on FleaBay or were they the Amazon variety?

I took the attached photo between periods. Guessing those are legit service dogs in training, which makes my concern for their hearing even more of an issue, as a volunteer training a service dog should know better.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2023 04:17PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: marty (---.ip190.fastwebnet.it)
Date: October 31, 2023 04:56PM

andyw2100
marty
andyw2100
andyw2100

I took the attached photo between periods. Guessing those are legit service dogs in training, which makes my concern for their hearing even more of an issue, as a volunteer training a service dog should know better.

They do look like legit service dogs. I agree that Section A isn't a good choice.

Date: October 31, 2023 05:36PM

Well, UMD is the Bulldogs. Close enough

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2023 06:49PM

billhoward
Well, UMD is the Bulldogs. Close enough
Brown crowd's gonna be tough.

Date: October 31, 2023 09:53PM

upprdeck
it is a good question on where all the students were in section A sold or not. Its not like it was randomly empty.

To be fair I'm guessing the student section was 50% attendance across B and A and then the ppl sitting in A moved over to B open seats (this happens often)

But yes, I can confirm A and B student seats were sold out

Date: October 31, 2023 09:57PM

andyw2100
marty
andyw2100
andyw2100

Yeah that's concerning - definitely too loud there with the band

Date: October 31, 2023 10:52PM

Dunc
upprdeck

To be fair I'm guessing the student section was 50% attendance across B and A and then the ppl sitting in A moved over to B open seats (this happens often)

But yes, I can confirm A and B student seats were sold out

and its good that it was but that also means like 500 kids didnt show up who bought tickets.. That never happened even 10 yrs ago,

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2023 11:48PM

Swampy
TimV
Trotsky

Al DeFlorio

Football was not included in the book if I recall correctly, but the coupon was good for a discount. Might be time to resurrect the CUAA Book (which only students could buy) and do the same thing for hockey.

The fact that back then one had to camp out overnight to get season tickets made them more valuable. Adding the value of one's time to the price made season tickets something that one would not want to waste. Moreover, if one had some other event, it was easy to find someone to take the ticket. So real attendance, as opposed to formal attendance (tickets sold), was never an issue.

From 1968, when I entered Cornell, well into the 1970's, a coupon from the CUAA book would get you into a game if you arrived early enough. Freshman year I did standing room for every game. If you wanted season tickets you paid extra after waiting in line for several days, which I did with a group for the next few years. I don't remember paying extra for football, just having to exchange my coupon for a ticket for each game.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2023 08:23AM

Swampy
TimV
Trotsky

Al DeFlorio

Yes, Yes Yes!
The fact that you had to camp out to get the tickets meant that you were a diehard fan. As a freshman, the whole ticket line experience made me the diehard fan that I still am today. I don't know how season tickets are distributed today, but if it is some online lottery, then other than the cost of the tickets - which is trivial for a large percentage of the student body - it does nothing to ensure that a devoted fan base is built.

Cornell has figured this out with admissions, where they take a relatively large percentage of ED candidates partly because they want a student body that is happy to be there, rather than kids who didn't get in to HYP.

Posted by: Trotsky (185.169.0.---)
Date: November 03, 2023 08:54AM

nshapiro
Swampy
TimV
Trotsky

Al DeFlorio

Yes, Yes Yes!
The fact that you had to camp out to get the tickets meant that you were a diehard fan. As a freshman, the whole ticket line experience made me the diehard fan that I still am today. I don't know how season tickets are distributed today, but if it is some online lottery, then other than the cost of the tickets - which is trivial for a large percentage of the student body - it does nothing to ensure that a devoted fan base is built.

nshapiro
Correct.

We also built relationships (ahem, but hockey also) on that overnight. We met people and because we were in similar positions in the line we formed blocs, and so you had ready-made friend groups going into ticket selection, and those carried over into games. Even the cheating, where one frat turd would somehow turn into 20 brothers 4 minutes before the door opened, meant there were blocs of comrades in arms. This all helped with the coordination of cheers, and the encouragement of creativity which has been the single greatest casualty of the change.

Date: November 03, 2023 10:19AM

nshapiro
Swampy
TimV
Trotsky

Al DeFlorio

Yes, Yes Yes!

Cornell has figured this out with admissions, where they take a relatively large percentage of ED candidates partly because they want a student body that is happy to be there, rather than kids who didn't get in to HYP.
Cost of tickets ($250?) isn’t trivial for most college students. Most of the rich kids for whom that amount is trivial join frats and sororities, i.e. they’re busy with other things on Friday and Saturday nights. Lynah should be more financially accessible to the average student, IMO. And while sure, having to camp out for tickets does build devotion in an ideal world, this is unfortunately not the world we live in anymore. The demand for tickets is nowhere near the level necessary for kids to have to camp out. Until Lynah student seats are selling out, the goal should not be building devotion among the small number of committed hockey fans for whom the season ticket price is trivial. Rather, the goal should be to get more students in the door so demand trends up again.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2023 10:19AM by BearLover.

Date: November 03, 2023 10:48AM

BearLover
nshapiro
Swampy
TimV
Trotsky

Al DeFlorio

Yes, Yes Yes!

Cost of tickets ($250?) isn’t trivial for most college students. Most of the rich kids for whom that amount is trivial join frats and sororities, i.e. they’re busy with other things on Friday and Saturday nights. Lynah should be more financially accessible to the average student, IMO. And while sure, having to camp out for tickets does build devotion in an ideal world, this is unfortunately not the world we live in anymore. The demand for tickets is nowhere near the level necessary for kids to have to camp out. Until Lynah student seats are selling out, the goal should not be building devotion among the small number of committed hockey fans for whom the season ticket price is trivial. Rather, the goal should be to get more students in the door so demand trends up again.

Date: November 03, 2023 11:08AM

There are 16k undergrads now. I swear in the early 80s it was 12k. I'm surprised hockey hasn't been able to hold onto its status as a golden ticket, given limited supply (the Fenway Effect). The additional seating may have absorbed some of that increase.

I suppose the strong attendance in the 60s and 70s can be ascribed to being a national contender, and the 80s as a Miracle By-product.

So presumably the thing to do is to become a perennial national contender again. Purely for attendance purposes, you understand.

Date: November 03, 2023 11:17AM

BearLover
The demand for tickets is nowhere near the level necessary for kids to have to camp out.
I agree with basically everything you said, especially that prices should be more accessible to all students. However, in regards to camping out, it really was not that long ago where this was still required for the dedicated students to get good tickets they wanted - my sister was here from 2013-2017 and I remember her camping out for tickets every year (except maybe the last iirc? Which I think is when they changed to online or a diff system?)

Perhaps it wasn’t as intensive of a “camp out” as a while ago where if you weren’t in line you wouldn’t get a ticket at all, but it definitely was still important to get in line early in order to secure good seats in the section you wanted (B)…

The reason I bring this up is because there is certainly an equivalent of this “camping out” for todays setup that is perhaps equally if not more painful lol… since tickets release on the site at a random time on a set day, all of the most faithful students spend the entire day reloading the page waiting for the drop. (Our equivalent of a line). In my opinion this is the modern equivalent to standing outside in a line among fellow faithful, but I do have to say standing in a line sounds much more enjoyable as it obviously allows you to build more rapport among the community - but people still buy tickets with others in blocks so I don’t think this new method detracts from that.

Meanwhile most casual faithful end up only securing their season tickets once they see the announcement on big red tix or Cornell men’s hockey social media that the tickets have dropped - by the time they make social media posts a large majority of B is taken and the better seats in the other sections are taken

So I guess my point is I think there would be enough interest in season tickets for people to camp out (or at least in a similar fashion to what “camping out” meant in 2013-17), but I think the larger issue just falls in the fact that yes season ticket prices are higher than most casual fans would be interested in - and that’s what’s limiting the “camping out” for season tickets to be at the same level of farther in the past

Another factor is Covid and the fact we were limiting like 1/4 attendance in student sections for the majority of 21/22 season… which was the right decision for safety but definitely hurt student interest since that right there greatly limits the amount of students who *even can* be interested

Date: November 03, 2023 11:52AM

Trotsky
There are 16k undergrads now. I swear in the early 80s it was 12k. I'm surprised hockey hasn't been able to hold onto its status as a golden ticket, given limited supply (the Fenway Effect). The additional seating may have absorbed some of that increase.

I suppose the strong attendance in the 60s and 70s can be ascribed to being a national contender, and the 80s as a Miracle By-product.

So presumably the thing to do is to become a perennial national contender again. Purely for attendance purposes, you understand.
Cornell has been a perennial national contender for many years now. Particularly in the past six seasons, Cornell has made the NCAAs 5 out of 6 times, getting a 1-seed twice. In multiple different seasons we’ve been ranked #1 in the country. Clearly team success is not high on the list of variables affecting attendance.

As for camping out, I think people have in mind literally camping out overnight with tents. When I was a student in the early 2010s, there was nothing like that anymore. I remember there being some kind of online lottery with preference to prior season ticket holders and then waiting on line at Bartels for like 30 minutes before we could select tickets. I was able to get really good seats all four years without much hassle at all.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2023 11:57AM by BearLover.

Date: November 03, 2023 12:31PM

BearLover
Trotsky
Cornell has been a perennial national contender for many years now. Particularly in the past six seasons, Cornell has made the NCAAs 5 out of 6 times, getting a 1-seed twice. In multiple different seasons we’ve been ranked #1 in the country.
I was more thinking 1 seed every year for 20 years in a row, to test the thesis.

Date: November 03, 2023 12:39PM

Cornell is just dealing with the same attendance issues almost all sports are. Why the students have decided to go elsewhere is the bigger issue. Its not like they didnt sell the tickets the kids just dont show up consistently any more.

Date: November 03, 2023 12:48PM

Maybe sports generally are losing their appeal.

Living in the limelight, the universal dream
For those who wish to see;
Those who wish to be, must put aside the alienation
Get on with the fascination
The real relation, the underlying theme

Maybe the little bastids prefer to actually live.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-215.myvzw.com)
Date: November 03, 2023 01:40PM

How was attendance in 19-20? That should be the realistic goal. Everything since is upside down and then the chain of tradition was broken by the lost season followed by the semi attendance season.

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: November 03, 2023 01:45PM

Everything went down hill once they gave out the "I did my time in the line" shirts. Getting the tickets wasn't supposed to be the accomplishment; showing up to every game afterwards was.

Didn't the student council used to subsidize tickets? Do they still do that?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: underskill (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2023 02:51PM

Trotsky
Maybe sports generally are losing their appeal.

Living in the limelight, the universal dream
For those who wish to see;
Those who wish to be, must put aside the alienation
Get on with the fascination
The real relation, the underlying theme

Maybe the little bastids prefer to actually live.

At least Geddy still has his Blue Jays tix behind home plate.

Date: November 03, 2023 03:00PM

Donald Sutherland has no Expos anymore. :-(

Posted by: Big Dingus (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 04, 2023 09:42AM

The building was full on Saturday. You guys literally complain about everything

Date: November 04, 2023 09:45AM

Also no one wants to camp out anymore… This isn’t the 80s get used to it

Date: November 04, 2023 09:50AM

It was sold out every game in 19-20
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2023 09:50AM by Big Dingus.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: November 04, 2023 09:52AM

Big Dingus

There were people camping out as recently as my freshman year (2010-11). I think it stopped shortly after

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.55.---)
Date: November 04, 2023 10:06AM

Big Dingus
The building was full on Saturday. You guys literally complain about everything

I guess a lot of folks dressed up as empty bleachers for Halloween then.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2023 10:27AM

Big Dingus
You guys literally complain about everything
For a dingus you picked up on the ethos here pretty quick.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.78.---)
Date: November 04, 2023 11:15AM

Trotsky
nshapiro
Swampy
TimV
Trotsky

Al DeFlorio

Yes, Yes Yes!

nshapiro
Correct.

We also built relationships (ahem, but hockey also) on that overnight. We met people and because we were in similar positions in the line we formed blocs, and so you had ready-made friend groups going into ticket selection, and those carried over into games. Even the cheating, where one frat turd would somehow turn into 20 brothers 4 minutes before the door opened, meant there were blocs of comrades in arms. This all helped with the coordination of cheers, and the encouragement of creativity which has been the single greatest casualty of the change.

The beginning of the end of Hot Truck was when they started taking phone orders. If you didn’t have to order in person and wait outside on the steps with everyone else, it ceased being a community.

On the Lynah topic, the line is the obvious focal point, but for me, the biggest change was the arrival time. Mid-90s, the student section was decently full for warmups and beginning the heckling. 10 years later, mostly empty until intros. 5 years after that, arriving mid-1st was common. Normalize arriving late, and you normalize not going at all.

The “line” in the ‘00s and ‘10s was a manufactured event, after the announcement of ticket locations produced near stampedes across campus. It became “here, sit in this building for an hour and have a t-shirt.”

Posted by: underskill (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2023 11:28AM

01-02 was the last true outdoor camp out for tix. By 02-03 they started moving it indoors IIRC

Date: November 04, 2023 11:30AM

Iceberg
Big Dingus

There were people camping out as recently as my freshman year (2010-11). I think it stopped shortly after
What??? I had great seats in B that year, didn’t camp for one second.

Date: November 04, 2023 11:34AM

Big Dingus
It was sold out every game in 19-20
No it was not…

Posted by: Scersk '97 (216.49.132.---)
Date: November 04, 2023 12:05PM

RichH
Normalize arriving late, and you normalize not going at all.

I've always wished there were a way to "resell" the seats of no-shows.

Date: November 08, 2023 01:09PM

nshapiro
And it also helps the yield (admits who choose to attend) which is another factor supposedly showing the school's exclusivity.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2023 01:24PM

RichH
The beginning of the end of Hot Truck was when they started taking phone orders. If you didn’t have to order in person and wait outside on the steps with everyone else, it ceased being a community.

:`-(

Although even back in the day some of us had the "cheat code" of friends living in the 660 Stewart Ave Co-op, where we could spend part of the wait time out of the elements.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login