Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

tickets

Posted by Scott 
tickets
Posted by: Scott (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 03, 2003 12:57PM

does anyone know when season tickets are going on sale this fall? and will it be the same shitty procedure as last year?

Re: tickets
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 03, 2003 10:12PM

No official date or anything announced yet, but it'll probably be the end of September and probably yes... hopefully they'll come up with a better way to deal with the early comers. Stop whining and get in line :-P.

Posted by: A-19 (---.echryh01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2003 11:10PM

the problem's not getting in line, it's getting kicked out of the field house area time and again by officers and athletics staff who tell you the earliest you can come back is 4pm, and showing up at 4 with 150 people lined up at the biotech building.

-mike 04-- lining up for tickets by one shitty procedure or another, 3 yrs and running

Date: August 03, 2003 11:51PM

Yeah, as I said, they need a way to deal with early-arrivals much better, but once the line is officially formed, I have no problems with the way they handle it from there. The system needs tweaking and some repairs, but I wouldn't define it overall as a "shitty procedure."

Posted by: lil girl (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2003 11:59PM

I just got my season ticket info... and I think it is absolutely ridiculous that the prices went up from $12 per person per game to $17... I can’t believe how expensive that is... it's worth it a 100% but come on this isn’t like the NHL or anything... this is college hockey... Give me a freakin break...

Posted by: French Rage (---.northgrum.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 09:17AM

the problem's not getting in line, it's getting kicked out of the field house area time and again by officers and athletics staff who tell you the earliest you can come back is 4pm, and showing up at 4 with 150 people lined up at the biotech building.

-mike 04-- lining up for tickets by one shitty procedure or another, 3 yrs and running

Well, the biotech line worked pretty well because it allowed a line to be formed but being off of athletic grounds they couldn't disperse it. Had we not had the biotech line there would've been no semblence of order, well, not that there was much, but there would have been even less.

Posted by: wahoo (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 09:47AM

That is absolutely ridiculous. But it is on par with Cornell's rep. They will nickel and dime you to death. The Bursar sent me a bill for ten dollars during the summer, doesn't even list why (class of 06). Any idea what the student price per game is? and is the season ticket price still the same?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.aei-potsdam.mpg.de)
Date: August 04, 2003 10:52AM

Actually, assuming the price hike is for real, it's not exactly "nickel and dime". It's a 42% price hike. (And if I'm not mistake, $17 is around twice what the rest of the league charges.) Considering the unprecedented-in-recent-memory successes of the last season, this would be a good time to gouge the fans, if Athletics were so inclined. I'm not sure what they're going to do if they charge Minnesota-like ticket prices and the team has decidedly un-Minnesota-like season.

Posted by: jason (---.ip.e-nt.net)
Date: August 04, 2003 11:13AM

Well, that tickles my curiosity: What does Minnesota charge for tickets?

Minnesota prices.
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 11:35AM

From the UMinn web site, the public price for a season ticket is $658, which includes the first round of the WCHA playoffs. If I assume that this includes the Mariucci tournament, then that's 23 or 24 games (or conceivably 21 - yeah right). Doing the math with 23 games that's $28.61 per game. Single game tickets are $28.00, except for the Mari--- oops, it's apparently the "Dodge Holiday Classic" now -- which is $33. Standing room is about $3 per game lower.

Faculty staff price is $527, or $22.91 per for a $5.27 discount. Student prices are listed as TBD.

Posted by: ugarte (68.160.74.---)
Date: August 04, 2003 11:41AM

$17 a game for a STUDENT ticket to a college hockey game is a travesty.

$17 a ticket for the townies? Not nice, but economics are what they are, and you charge what you think you can get (though it could really take away from the family experience that Cornell athletics is for some Tompkins County residents).

Overcharging the alumni? Fine. The cost of tickets is probably just factored in to any planned donations to the school, and any alumni who are taking the trip to go to the games surely have the extra $5 a ticket to spare.

But charging such ludicrous prices to the students - effectively turning an experience that all students are meant to share into a luxury - is indefensible. This bothers me much more than anything that the university did with hockeycam ever did.

Posted by: Section A (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 11:58AM

Assuming that the $17 price per game is just for those students who wish to buy individual game tickets (which, from what I gather, it is), does anyone have any idea if this hike translates into a subsequent hike in the season ticket price? Perhaps they'll raise it from $90 to about $120?

And agreed, it's ridiculous; next they're going to charge 20 bucks to see the Red/White game.....

Date: August 04, 2003 12:13PM

not sure if the $17 dollar price hike is for students also, but im assuming its not.. but even for the townies.. and a family of three who is also paying for tickets to the playoffs ahead of time (so we don't lose our seats).. it is very, very expensive.

Posted by: French Rage (---.northgrum.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 12:32PM

I'm pretty sure the hike doesnt apply to student season tickets. IIRC, the Student Activity Fee subsidizes ticket prices to an extent, which is why our tickets are much lower than for students of other schools (i.e. Minnesota, UNH, Michigan, etc).

Posted by: REDhead (---.lightlink.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 01:02PM

Where does it indicate ticket prices going up? I get my (townie) season tix thru a friend, and he let me know this morning that his info on season tix this year indicates that there are 17 games, price for the season $195. The twist this year is that if you want to sit in your regular seats for home playoff games, (assuming we get there) you have to pre-purchase all three playoff tickets with your season ticket order, making this option $230. (taking away the voucher option we've had in the past). I'm not happy about paying up front 6 months in advance for playoff tix, but not such a big deal. Anyone else seen the actual letter/order form?

Subsidies
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 03:46PM

The Activity fee subsidy doesn't was something like 25% of the price when it was initiated in 96 or so. This isn't enough to make the difference between us and Michigan/Minnesota, who charge more because they can. Note: these schools also have reduced prices for students.

Re: tickets - hold on!
Posted by: bub (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 09:12PM

Not sure where the $17/ticket info came from, but we got our renewal form in the mail the other day. Reserved season tickets are $195 for 17 GAMES -- that's less than $12/ticket. They do ask you to purchase ECAC playoff game tickets in adavance (which is different from past practice), and section "C" tickets cost more. Otherwise, no significant change in ticket price!

Date: August 05, 2003 12:19AM

i got my renewal ticket info and the prices have gone up to $17 a game. im over in section n (dont know if that makes a difference).. and i dont know why you arent paying what i am nut

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: August 05, 2003 12:51AM

Actually, here are the townie/alum ticket prices according to the renewal form I received today:

Reserved Season Tickets (including ECAC home playoffs): $230.00
Reserved Season Tickets (without ECAC home playoffs): $195.00

Section "C" Tickets (including ECAC home playoffs): $255.00
Section "C" Tickets (without ECAC home playoffs): $220.00

According to the schedule, there are 17 home games (including the Exhibition but not including Red/White). Therefore, we're talking $11.47 per game for regular season tickets, $12.94 per game for Section C.

If you go for the playoff ticket option (presumably 3 games), it's $11.50 and $12.75, respectively.

Of course, there's a $3.00 handling fee, and the cost of the lowest level of CHA membership has gone from $35 to $40, but it all seems pretty reasonable to me! Especially when you consider the horror stories you hear about some of the western schools, where you pay the big bucks to see half of your team's games.

I've never claimed to be a mathematical genius, but I can't see how anyone can get to $17 per ticket given the information available to me. (Okay, go for it -- tell me where I went wrong.)

My only reservation is that playoff tickets are not guaranteed for season ticket holders unless you buy them in advance. But it's actually more convenient for me to get them with the rest of the tickets, and they claim that a refund will automatically be awarded if the tickets aren't needed (but let's hope that we don't have to test this part of the procedure).

Post Edited (08-05-03 00:55)

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: August 05, 2003 02:01AM

Well, $195 divided by 17 games may be $11.47, but divided by 11 (league) games gives about $17.50. Maybe lil girl didn't look at the schedule? :-)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.aei-potsdam.mpg.de)
Date: August 05, 2003 03:49AM

When are the renewal forms due back?

Also, remember that the extra cost of Section C tickets is a surcharge for the season, not a cost per ticket. We learned this when we were reimbursed for the unplayed UVM game a few years ago. (Und du gehst Rüssel an Schwanz hinterher...)

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: August 05, 2003 09:00AM

John,

Here are the "Important dates to remember" from the renewal form:

Sept 5: Season ticket/playoff ticket renewal deadline
Sept 17: Season ticket upgrade date
Oct 15: Single game tickets go on sale

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: August 05, 2003 04:11PM

I wouldn't mind so much if just one of those playoff tickets goes unused because we sweep the opponent. :)

Date: August 05, 2003 06:46PM

Woofing already? Man rolleyes :-P

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 10:21AM

Goodness no... just hopeful. ;-)

I fear your wrath, oh great puck gods. Is there anything I can offer in the hopes of a bit more puck luck this year? (Though that funky ECAC Championship puck roll may indeed make up for a season of not having the bounces go our way.)

Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2003 10:34AM

hey guys
so i will more than likely be standing in line with student friends this year BUT how would i go about getting tix in the townie section for the year? just curious

Posted by: REDhead (---.lightlink.com)
Date: August 08, 2003 03:08PM

Two ways to get townie tickets: 1) put your name on the waiting list at the ticket office (mine has been on for two years and has worked up to #48 on the list--which ticket office says means I'll get tickets in probably two more years) OR 2)make friends with a townie who has extra season tickets for sale (the way I've been going to games for the past coupla). Good luck!

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2003 07:32PM

thanks
:-)

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: August 19, 2003 11:02AM

There probably is some increase to student tickets, but not that amount. Students always used to get the same printed tickets as everyone else (face value of $12) but only paid $6 per ticket ($90 for 15 games). So if they follow that, students would pay $8.50 per ticket, definately a fair price.

And there's more to an increase then gauging fans. Student demand for tickets is going to be tremendous this year. Supply stays the same. So prices rise. Thank you Econ 101.

It's going to mean madness, and higher prices is one way to keep more non-hockey fans/non-faithful that are just intrigued by the Big Red's success from getting tickets over Faithful and people that might care more. Anyway to keep tickets of the hands of people that really care, and are not just going to show up in the 2nd period of select games, is a good thing. Unfortunately, I don't know if $30 or $40 to students is going to make the difference

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.184.179.19.ts46v-08.otn-c2.ftwrth.tx.charter.c)
Date: August 20, 2003 10:10PM

Time spent standing in line is likely to do way more to dissuade casal fans (*cough* *cough* facetimers! *cough*) than any ticket price increase[stereotype] since most of them are rich frat boys and their sorority chicks anyway.[/stereotype] ;-)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.accel.cornell.edu)
Date: August 31, 2003 05:15PM

Handouts are available outside the ticket office on the full procedures. Dates are right, details are pretty much the same as last year.

Basically, no early arrivals before Friday afternoon, or you'll be kicked out. Probably the best way to deal with early arrivals that doesn't involve massive staff and resources. Of course, I think in my 3 ticket lines (lotto freshman year) they've said that twice and never actually enforced it - so we'll see.

-Fred

Posted by: French Rage (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2003 07:21PM

Eh, I still plan to arrive early anyways. IF they kick us out, I plan to go to the biotech building ala last year.

Posted by: Dave (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2003 10:50PM

Regarding the weekend student season tix for hockey go on sale, can you confirm the dates?

Posted by: French Rage (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2003 12:19AM

the 12th through the 14th, roughly two weeks from now

Date: September 02, 2003 01:10PM

[Q]Eh, I still plan to arrive early anyways. IF they kick us out, I plan to go to the biotech building ala last year.[/Q]
Here's the only thing. The sheet says (take that for what you will) that people showing up early may be barred from getting season tickets at all. Now, I'm not saying that's really fair... but let's be honest, the people who show up very early are the ones who make a mess of the system for everyone else.

Posted by: No more Lenny :( (204.168.132.---)
Date: September 03, 2003 02:43PM

So, what is the official time that we can begin to line up on Friday that we won't be barred from getting season tix? rolleyes

See you all there a week from Friday

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2003 09:32AM

i am a firm believer that if you're willing to stay out for whenever, you deserve better seats. but yes, i did show up thurs last yr and was turned away until 3pm fri, when there was already a line formed, which screwed us. have any of the people on this board spoken to somebody at athletics or are in a position to know what the position is on an "unofficial" line this year? is cornell going to throw people out of the biotech area like they make it seem, or are they going to have a policeman make sure that the line they don't condone moves person-by-person to the official line, like last year? that'd be some helpful information, and i'd really appreciate it if anyone knows the answer.

mike 04

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 04, 2003 11:25AM

> but let's be honest, the people who show up very early are the ones who make a mess of the system for everyone else.

Not really. It's the organized groups who sneak in a dozen of their friends (and the failure of the university to police them) who make a mess of the system.

If some guy wants to stand out in the rain for 24 extra hours to move up a row, let him.

Date: September 04, 2003 12:28PM

[Q]So, what is the official time that we can begin to line up on Friday that we won't be barred from getting season tix?

See you all there a week from Friday[/Q]
4:45 pm

[Q]Not really. It's the organized groups who sneak in a dozen of their friends (and the failure of the university to police them) who make a mess of the system.

If some guy wants to stand out in the rain for 24 extra hours to move up a row, let him.[/Q]
Ah, the meat of the matter. Well, yes, but, why can't they police them? Cost and everything. Fine, so we just say the very early arrivers have a "Lord of the Flies" experience where they police themselves (or don't and it's their fault).

So, why can't the officials say, starting at 4:45, "everyone who enters this area must go to the back of the line, no leaving line except to go to the bathroom, but you can't leave behind the fieldhouse or the in the fieldhouse". Because someone's gonna have gone to a 3:35 class and come back saying that they've already waited in line for a day and a half, and it's not fair.

If no one got there before the designated time, then they officials would be able to organize everything and make sure that no one cut, but because there was activity before they got there, they can't have a handle on everything they way they'd need to to make it a fair process for everyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login