Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Randy Jones jumps from Clarkson

Posted by CowbellGuy 
Randy Jones jumps from Clarkson
Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: July 14, 2003 02:46PM

And the rather unfortunate trend continues...

[www.uscho.com]

Re: Randy Jones jumps from Clarkson
Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2003 03:05PM

Just as Clarkson's new branding/logos were unveiled. I must say that it's not as bad as huggy-bear, but now the Golden Knight is actually green.

[www.clarkson.edu]

Looks like this past weekend was the time for NHLers to invade upstate NY. As Eric Cole, Craig Conroy, and Todd White were all back in Potsdam.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2003 03:17PM

An unfortunate trend, or players running towards the money before labor problems and a new CBA?

Hopefully the latter...

Posted by: ugarte (68.160.74.---)
Date: July 14, 2003 03:24PM

I believe the unfortunate trend is Clarkson sucking . . .

Posted by: Rich Stamboulian (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 14, 2003 03:29PM

I think Clarkson may surprise a few people this coming season. Not boasting here at all but after having attended the reunion this past weekend and having talked with returning players, and the new coaches, as well as a couple of incoming kids, I think things are headed in the right direction.

The loss of Jones is unfortunate, as is LeNeveu's departure but the coaches and players appear to be committed to working hard to have a succesful season.

Re: "Invasion" ?
Date: July 14, 2003 03:33PM

FYI,

It wasn't an invasion...it was the annual hockey reunion weekend coinciding with class reunions.

In addition, Craig Conroy's and Erik Cole's wives are both from the North Country and both families own homes where they spend their summers. In the past they both worked at the summer hockey school as well. I've seen Craig at each reunion I've attended for many years now.

Todd White is a frequent returnee as well, among many others.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: July 14, 2003 10:41PM

I agree that the green knight is a bit confusing, but I rather like the "secondary logo mark."

Posted by: jason (---.ip.e-nt.net)
Date: July 15, 2003 01:38PM

Eck, not too wowed by the new Clarkson logos. They're not horrible, but I don't consider them an improvement over the existing version. And the "Hockey Word Mark" doesn't work for me; I don't naturally interpret the hockey stick as the L, so it first struck me as misspelled (maybe this is more a symptom of my feeble brain than an defect of the logo :-P ) . Add this to the list of disappointing logo revamps.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.nv.nv.cox.net)
Date: July 15, 2003 01:48PM

Please tell me they've gotten rid of that godawful mustard third jersey.

I think Clarkson will be back in the mix. I have no logical reason to think so, but I just can't see them sucking for long; that would be so unClarkson.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.80.252.64.snet.net)
Date: July 15, 2003 02:05PM

[Q]And the "Hockey Word Mark" doesn't work for me; I don't naturally interpret the hockey stick as the L, so it first struck me as misspelled (maybe this is more a symptom of my feeble brain than an defect of the logo ) .[/Q]
Nah, I agree, first time I looked at it I thought "wait, didn't they miss a letter there... oooohhh" . I have a hunch we won't be seeing much of that one. They would really have to make a hockey stick of the L, and not an L of the hockey stick.

Date: July 16, 2003 06:53AM

I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing "those" jerseys anymore....Thank God!! :-D

Date: July 16, 2003 06:58AM

I don't agree that it's a flaw in the logo. Actually, Clarkson has used a "hockey stick L" on imprint items but not jerseys,
for a number of years now. Isn't using the "L" a natural ?

Posted by: French Rage (---.northgrum.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 08:59AM

[Q]Nah, I agree, first time I looked at it I thought "wait, didn't they miss a letter there... oooohhh" . I have a hunch we won't be seeing much of that one. They would really have to make a hockey stick of the L, and not an L of the hockey stick.[/Q]

Also there should be more space between the C and the A, which would indicate more easily that the stick is a letter, rather than a stick stuck between the C and A.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 09:49AM

I always have to shake my head when I see PR hype like: "We feel the new marks will bring a sense of excitement and pride to the Clarkson athletic program." Huh? Excitement? Whom are they trying to kid?

[This is not a knock on Clarkson. Cornell can sling this nonsense with the best of 'em. See huggy bear.]

Hockey Word Mark
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (147.188.32.---)
Date: July 16, 2003 10:00AM

Is it time to make "CARKSON SLUCKS" t-shirts and signs? :-D

Date: July 16, 2003 10:29AM

I think you're nit picking. Is it really that difficult to tell that the stick is also an "L"? C'mon, you guys have seen "CLARKSON" spelled out for years. :-D

If cornell changed their jerseys to show the Ls as sticks, would anyone have trouble with that spelling?

Date: July 16, 2003 10:36AM

If Cornell changed their jerseys, I think I'd become a Harvard fan...

Date: July 16, 2003 01:09PM

Rich,

I'm not saying it's "that difficult", but I swear it, I had to do a double-take. I looked at it, thought, 'wait a sec', looked again, and then I understood. I get the impression I'm not that only one. Is it ridiculous? no, but I don't think they want half the people that look it at to be confused for a second first. I agree that a gap between the C and A, to make it clear that the stick is a letter, would be a big help.

Anyway, I think we've killed this one.

Posted by: French Rage (---.northgrum.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 02:38PM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

Rich,

I'm not saying it's "that difficult", but I swear it, I had to do a double-take. I looked at it, thought, 'wait a sec', looked again, and then I understood. I get the impression I'm not that only one. Is it ridiculous? no, but I don't think they want half the people that look it at to be confused for a second first. I agree that a gap between the C and A, to make it clear that the stick is a letter, would be a big help.

Anyway, I think we've killed this one.

Perhaps putting the bottom of the stick level with the bottom of the rest of the letters instead of below them.

Date: July 16, 2003 02:43PM

Rich Hovorka '96 wrote:
but now the Golden Knight is actually green.

Rather hasty, but what would it look like if the knight were yellow?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 04:37PM

What's so difficult?

was around for 20 years and nobody had a problem with the logo.

JH

Date: July 16, 2003 05:04PM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

What's so difficult?

was around for 20 years and nobody had a problem with the logo.

JH

In the Caps logo, only the shaft is important in the spelling, and it is aligned with the letters. The "Clarkson hockey word mark" relies on the blade, which is below the rest of the word, to make the L. And crossing the t in "Capitals" helps with clarity. So does the better letter spacing. Actually, there are a lot of differences. I don't think that this was Clarkson's best effort.

Good work on the primary logo, word mark and mascot (despite the choice of green over gold for the mascot). The secondary logo has an unfortunate "action" quality that ranks it with huggy bear.

Date: July 16, 2003 05:08PM

Yeah, I was about to say that the main difference is that they leave space around the stick to make it clearly a different letter, as oppposed to

which kinda just squeezes it in there. I think the rest of BRA's points are good too. I'm hardly saying this topic is important, but since it seems to have a little momentum, I'll go with it :-).

Posted by: peterg (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 06:16PM

I hesitate to jump into this, but having just seen what you all are talking about I have to say I, for one, have no confusion over what team is being "advertised" by that logo.

That said, however, it doesn't do much for me. It just doesn't convey a sense of strength or speed or ferocity or energy. It just seems blah.

Just like I like the very plain (read - classy, traditional) Cornell sweaters, the Clarkson Primary Logo Mark and Color Word Mark are more my style. I'm not sure about that secondary logo mark either.

Of course, Cornell now has the smiling brown furball (talk about your "blah" logo), so what the heck, Clarkson's is just fine.

Date: July 16, 2003 06:58PM

Peterg wrote:

I hesitate to jump into this, . . .
Don't be shy. This is what we are reduced to when we are waiting for the season to start.

Posted by: Section A (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 11:39PM

OR...... we COULD start trying to guess this season's possible line combinations :-)....

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.nv.nv.cox.net)
Date: July 16, 2003 11:42PM

We're actually doing better than most off-seasons. We're talking about hockey, anyway.

Oh, and I think the new Clarkson logo looks good.

Post Edited (07-16-03 23:44)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login