Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Leneveu signs with Phoenix?

Posted by MBR 
Leneveu signs with Phoenix?
Posted by: MBR (192.67.48.---)
Date: July 02, 2003 02:22PM

from hockeygoaltender.com

Leneveu Signs with Phoenix
GDI goaltender David Leneveu signs with the Phoenix Coyotes.

On behalf of everybody at GDI we are proud to offer our congratulations to David Leneveu following his signing with the Phoenix Coyotes. Leneveu, a Fernie BC native, played for the Cornell Big Red the last two seasons assembling the best numbers in the NCAA.

Leneveu has been a participant of GDI's summer programs, a participant of GDI's consulting program and has been an instructor at our summer camps.

GDI wishes David continued success in his hockey career

Re: Leneveu signs with Phoenix?
Posted by: tom nachod '63 (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2003 03:04PM

The release is dated July 1.. Seems odd no one else has picked up on it or confirmed it...Has anybody else seen this from another source?

Posted by: Jordan (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2003 03:08PM

help

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.20.94.dial1.newyork1.level3.net)
Date: July 02, 2003 03:15PM

Nothing on the Coyotes web site. They do have a press release dated today, July 2, that they signed Captain Teppo Numminen to a one year deal which would suggest that the site is being updated quickly. Since LeNeveu is included in a poll on the site about the Coyotes top prospects, one would think that if he were signed, it would merit a press release.

edit:
Press release is up on the Coyote's web site. Rats.
www.phoenixcoyotes.com

Post Edited (07-02-03 19:10)

Posted by: Jordan (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2003 03:22PM

I think for the most part, the name is self-explanatory.

After wandering into Lynah on Saturday morning and seeing about 12 goalies working on drills and "GDI" signs hanging on the glass, I looked into it a little bit. It seems to be an organization which provides development camps and other instruction for goaltenders (who are willing to pay the hefty price tags).

"At GDI, we strive to provide the finest, most progressive goaltending instruction available today. While we recognize the importance of technical development, it is a broader development of goaltending athletes that separates GDI from the pack. The enhancement of each goaltender's skill level, character and athletic attributes will take place in an atmosphere of enthusiasm, teamwork and a dedication to excellence on and off the ice. In short, we are committed to offering athletes the most productive and rewarding development experience of their life. "

Posted by: Section A (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 02, 2003 04:31PM

Is this really true?! I can't find this story ANYWHERE else....

Posted by: Jay Wang '99 (---.oregonian.com)
Date: July 02, 2003 07:08PM

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: July 02, 2003 07:11PM

Posted by: Lenny (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2003 08:44PM

www.uscho.com
breaking news

Posted by: jy3 (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: July 02, 2003 09:40PM

damn that stinks for the team but i look forward to cheering for dave for sure. unfortunately the c'yotes have a long line of goalies in the mix now. good luck to dave and thanks for the last 2 years!

Posted by: CrazyLarry (---.tnt31.phl6.da.uu.net)
Date: July 02, 2003 11:45PM

I think I speak for all Cornell fans when I say, "damn!" I also wish Dave the best as he moves to the professional ranks.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: July 03, 2003 09:24AM

Larry, my language was somewhat stronger than yours, but essentially the same sentiment. Best of luck, Dave, and thanks again for two incredible seasons.

I thought Coach Schafer's response was very classy -- it's a big loss for the team, but they're excited that Dave has a chance to live out the dream they all have.

Post Edited (07-03-03 09:24)

Posted by: ugarte (68.160.74.---)
Date: July 03, 2003 10:38AM

:`( But life must go on. Let's go Marr and Chabot, show us what you've got.

Post Edited (07-03-03 10:43)

Date: July 03, 2003 11:03AM

It's obviously a disappointing day, purely from a Cornell fan's standpoint (and also because it seemed like he was coming back for his junior year), but at the same time it's also hard not to feel happy for him. I mean, you never know what could have happened this season, as far as injuries or less impressive stats, so I can't really blame the guy. So good luck to Dave, and hopefully he can succeed at the highest level possible.

Now who's the "number one" goaltender for this season? Marr or Chabot? I would guess Marr (for now, and of course without knowing anything about their respective progress this summer)....any thoughts?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 03, 2003 11:06AM

A thread about a possible replacement for Leneveu: [www.network54.com]

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.cecomet.net)
Date: July 03, 2003 11:11AM

[q]I mean, you never know what could have happened this season, as far as injuries or less impressive stats, so I can't really blame the guy.[/q]

Also, with the NHL where it is, it was probably a good move by Leneveu to get a multi-year contract before the current CBA expires.

Posted by: mike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 03, 2003 11:56AM

is it me or didnt both schafer and leneveu say that he was going to stay for one more year at the season celebration thing. I am very mad at lene right now because he basicly said a complete lie to us. Maybe its cause im just alitle mad about him leaving and how cornell is going to be horible because of goltender issues next year but in my mind lene is a backstaber.

Date: July 03, 2003 12:08PM

The goalie mentioned on that link, Dave McKee, is a 6'1'', 180 lb (so, same height as LeNeveu, 10 lbs heavier), 19 year old from Irving, Texas. He doesn't actually play for the Nanaimo Clippers right now, but for the Texas Tornado of the North American Hockey League. Previously, he played in a developmental league of the NHL's Dallas Stars.

This past season, in 35 games played, he went 26-7, with 3 shutouts, a GAA of 2.41, and a save percentage of .899 (713 saves, 80 goals allowed, in just under 2000 minutes of play).

Date: July 03, 2003 12:13PM

Oh for God's sake, he's not a backstabber, stop it. Can't you just be happy for him? He's going to play in the NHL! He's been working towards this goal for his entire hockey life, so of course he is going to welcome the opportunity. His teammates are happy for him, and we should be too. He was one of the biggest reasons we had success the last two years. Of course it's bittersweet, but that's the way these things go. Just wondering - were people mad at Joe N. back in the day when he decided to leave early?

I wouldn't be too upset about the goaltender situation yet (we're certainly not going to be horrible We may get another one, and even if we don't, Marr is solid, and Chabot, though unproven aside from one right pad save :), is supposedly very very good.

Post Edited (07-03-03 14:38)

Date: July 03, 2003 12:14PM

[www.azcentral.com]

"The Coyotes, a team with three top-echelon goalies already at the NHL level, added a potential future star on Tuesday when they signed college phenom David LeNeveu to a three-year contract"

"LeNeveu ....agreed to end his college career for a deal in the pro ranks that could net him as much as $3 million. He is expected to spend next season with the Springfield (Mass) Falcons of the AHL, sharing time with another Cornell product, Jean-Marc Pelletier."

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.nv.nv.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2003 01:47PM

Avash, go easy, I assume the poster's a kid, and I can understand why he'd be mad.

From what I know, Lenny played it straight all the way. Adam and others must have asked him a hundred times whether he was going, and every time he said "after the season I'll decide what's in my best interests," which translates to a very honest and savy "let's see how much Phoenix ponies up." Apparently the 'Yotes wanted him enough to lay a sweet deal in front of him. Who wouldn't take it? He can use a fraction of it to finish his degree summers if that's what he wants.

The very best of luck to Lenny -- we haven't had a strong goalie in the NHL since Hayward, and he'll be more valuable to us as a billboard for Goaltender U. then he would have been in a sweater for one more year.

Presumably, Mike and his assistants are already one a week into an aggressive search for our next blue chip goalie. We'll be okay down the line.

Post Edited (07-03-03 18:36)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: July 03, 2003 01:59PM

Greg wrote:

The very best of luck to Lenny -- we haven't had a strong goalie in the NHL since Hayward, and he'll be more valuable to us as a billboard for Goaltender U. then he would have in a sweater for one more year.

Presumably, Mike and his assistants are already one a week into an aggressive searchy for our next blue chip goalie. We'll be okay down the line.
Precisely right. Somewhere there was speculation it was a $3 million deal. Just about impossible to turn down. The sun still came up this morning.

Date: July 03, 2003 02:44PM

Yeah, I guess I didn't realize the poster might be a kid. Regardless, despite the initial disappointment at hearing this news, it's hard to stay mad for too long. Besides, now we all have a new NHL team to cheer for :)

Okay, so just wondering - is there some sort of deadline to recruit players for the upcoming season or does the May 1 decision deadline for undergraduates not apply to athletes?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 03, 2003 03:35PM

I suspect it's too late to get anyone in for the fall, but we could see someone come in in January, ala Eddie Skazyk after Duffus' departure. But I think it might be hard to get a top goalie to do that since you give up half a year of eligibility and start in mid-year, which would have to make college harder on a number of levels. If we pick up someone for January I think that's a sign that Schafer isn't too keen on Marr/Chabot. But I could be wrong.

Posted by: kaelistus (65.223.150.---)
Date: July 03, 2003 04:40PM

I think Schafer has always liked to have 3 goalies... So we'll see.

Anyway. Marr looked pretty damn solid during his December tournament, and Chabot was pretty highly touted so I think we will be okay.

Good luck to Dave, this is an awesome opportunity! (I wish someone gave me 3 million dollars too :-) )

Date: July 03, 2003 06:49PM

I wonder if Phoenix could use an experienced center... ;-)

As a guess, we will see Marr and Chabot split time this season. Marr has one more year and is solid. Chabot will be our only goalie returning goalie and needs a lot of minutes. It's a good situation to exploit both resources, and we shouldn't write Chabot off -- maybe he's great.

Recruiting the next incoming goalie just got easier, since no coach can undercut Schafer by insinuating that Lenny may stay on as a senior.

Posted by: Robb Newman (---.169.127.238.ts46v-08.otn-c2.ftwrth.tx.charter.)
Date: July 03, 2003 07:17PM

Hmmm. David McKee's team, the NAHL Texas Tornado plays their home games about 15 miles from my house. Perhaps I'd better check out a game or two next year, unless he decides to jump to Cornell early. If I don't join the boosters for next year, I could even take him out to dinner, right? upto

Date: July 03, 2003 07:55PM

> David McKee

Who dat?

Posted by: Lenny (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2003 11:02PM

Here's how I rationalized everything to myself:
I was upset at first, but realize it's great for Lene (and great for the value of the Cornell puck I have signed by him!!)

I think we have to realize that Cornell has always had great goalies. Lene happened to be one of the best goalies ever in college hockey. But, those don't come every year. So we have to go back to have just a "great" goalie.

I realize it seems like we are going to be horrible, but I think that's it's we've gotten so used to having shutouts every game that having a GAA 2.0 seems horrible. I'm sure Marr and Chabot will continue the tradition of great Cornell goalies, especially with Lynah behind them.

The Other Lenny

Posted by: ursusminor (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 04, 2003 05:11AM

McKee has signed (or whatever the proper verb is) with the Nanaimo Clippers of the BCHL for next year. That will put him a bit more than 15 miles from you. ;-)

Greg, David McKee is a goalie from Texas who was being recruited by Cornell according to a few sources. One is the link that I posted above. Another is a message that NCAA Watcher posted on USCHO. In the link that I posted, a Nanaimo fan wonders if the fact that LeNeveu has left Cornell means that McKee might be recruited now for this fall. It makes sense.

Posted by: Roy '98 (---.client.insightbb.com)
Date: July 04, 2003 03:29PM

it looks official, according to two sources....uscho.com and the phoenix coyotes site. so now they have two former big red goalies. interesting.....chances are better that there will be a cornell goalie in the nhl's.

Posted by: Robb Newman (---.169.127.238.ts46v-08.otn-c2.ftwrth.tx.charter.)
Date: July 05, 2003 10:10AM

Doh. Looks like I missed my chance to check out the next great Cornell goalie. Or is "great Cornell goalie" a bit too redundant? :-P

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2003 07:59PM

[Q]Robb wrote:

Hmmm. David McKee's team, the NAHL Texas Tornado plays their home games about 15 miles from my house. Perhaps I'd better check out a game or two next year, unless he decides to jump to Cornell early. If I don't join the boosters for next year, I could even take him out to dinner, right? [/Q]WRONG I don't know if you were kidding or not, but just by posting here, it could be taken that you are a friend (booster) of the university. As such, it could be a recruiting violation. Never do anything like that without checking with the hockey office first.

Even if you were just kidding, I couln't let a statement like that go unchecked.:-)

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: July 07, 2003 08:24AM

Cornell has indeed signed McKee: [www.nahl.com]

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 07, 2003 08:26AM

Jim - definitely kidding. If I were actually "up to something" (a la the emoticon I used), I certainly wouldn't be posting it on a public message board! Thanks for taking the opportunity to remind us all how serious that kind of thing can be, though!

And, it turns out I'd have been too late anyway:

[www.nahl.com]

So we're back to 3 goalies. Welcome, David!

Date: July 07, 2003 10:50AM

About time something useful came out of Texas.

McKee brings in strong creds: NAHL First team. Very good news for Cornell.

Post Edited (07-07-03 15:07)

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2003 12:05PM

[Q] A spot on the Cornell roster for McKee became available when All-American goaltender and Hobey Baker finalist DAVE LEVENEU left school early and signed with the Phoenix Coyotes of the NHL on Wednesday, July 2nd. [/Q]

I think Dave replaces Jason Elliott as the goaltender with the most often misspelled name, since the media continues to butcher it. (this link gives 2 spellings in the same article: [www.pittsburghlive.com] )

In another random thought, since April, I've had trouble pronouncing the word "revenue" correctly. Thanks a lot, Lenny. :-)

McKee
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 07, 2003 12:06PM

OK, I'll eat my words. I hope, for the sake of academic integrity, that McKee had already been admitted to Cornell and had been deferring unless and until Lenny went pro. I'll assume that's the case in the absence of any evidence to the contrary (evidence which I doubt I'd ever see anyway...). It would definitely bother me if the team could admit someone in June/July for August, hockey needs ba damned.

Re: McKee
Date: July 07, 2003 12:07PM

Keith K '93 wrote:

OK, I'll eat my words. I hope, for the sake of academic integrity, that McKee had already been admitted to Cornell and had been deferring unless and until Lenny went pro.

I spoke with someone in the hockey office last week, and that is indeed the case.

Date: July 07, 2003 02:27PM

Greg wrote:

Lenny . . . [will] be more valuable to us as a billboard for Goaltender U. then he would have been in a sweater for one more year.

I am very happy for David, and I am looking forward to this season regardless of who our goalie is. But . . .

there is no way that I believe he is more valuable to us RIGHT NOW as a goalie-ad than as a goalie. I wish he were staying.

And I don't care if Mike is a kid. He is a jerk. Even if LeNeveu had a weak moment and told a cheering throng that he was coming back, he owed you nothing, Mike. And you should be glad that he didn't ruin your party by implying that he was going to leave.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.75.252.64.snet.net)
Date: July 07, 2003 03:07PM

Btw, I don't remember Lenny saying anything of the sort. I'm fairly sure Lenny didn't actually say a word, of any kind, at the celebration.

Date: July 07, 2003 03:12PM

That's exactly right - Lenny did not speak at the hockey celebration in Lynah at the end of the year (the one when they raised the banners).

Now, moving on...

[www.nahl.com]

...the picture of McKee suggests we've replaced one butterfly goalie with another :)

I wonder if other schools were as interested in McKee as Cornell seems to have been, and, if so, which schools....

Posted by: el barto (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 08, 2003 12:12AM

For how many years will O'Byrne stay at Cornell? Here's from The Hockey News:

The Canadiens hope they selected the sleeper of this year's draft in the third round, Nanaimo defenseman Ryan O'Byrne. The 6-foot-5, 210-pounder is headed to Cornell University. "He's a very good skater and you don't find that in a player his size," Timmins [Canadiens director of player personnel] said.

Also, over the weekend, The Montreal Gazette gave O'Byrne high praises for his rookie camp performance. Sounds very promising, now if he could only stay in school for four years...

PS Also in The Hockey News, "...the Ducks are high on right winger Shane Hynes..."

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.c3-0.avec-ubr13.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rc)
Date: July 08, 2003 01:24AM

Keith, I definitely agree with you, but did this already happen with Ian Burt in the summer of 1997? After Pelletier left, we were down to ONE goalie (albeit a good one!) in Jason Elliott. Maybe it was the same situation (earlier admission, possibly deferred), but I'd never heard of it.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.pi.infn.it)
Date: July 08, 2003 03:17AM

Lowell Frank '99, '03 wrote:
did this already happen with Ian Burt in the summer of 1997? After Pelletier left, we were down to ONE goalie (albeit a good one!) in Jason Elliott. Maybe it was the same situation (earlier admission, possibly deferred), but I'd never heard of it.
That was indeed the situation with Burt. (And possibly also Skazyk.)

Thinning the herd
Date: July 08, 2003 03:21AM

As long as we're looking for silver linings in Lenny's departure, I imagine we'll see a dropoff in the number of bandwagon fans when they figure out next years Cornell team will not be competing for the title of best in the nation. I just hope we don't end up with a lot of empty seats as a result of facetimers figuring this out after they've already bought season tickets.

Date: July 08, 2003 08:24AM

If the past is any indication we'll see this pattern repeat itself:

(1) Confusion.
(2) Anger and frustration.
(3) Orgy of recriminations.
(4) Call for Schafer's head.

Depending upon the age of the fan, this takes between 3 losing seasons (30 year olds) and 3 losing weekends (20 year olds).

Personally, I'd rather we kept winning and dealing with the fair weather types... is that an option? ;-)

In any case, it won't come to 3 losing seasons unless we've seriously overestimated the freshmen.

Post Edited (07-08-03 08:26)

Date: July 08, 2003 09:23AM

So we play with a different goalie (Marr?) who performed really well in his 4 games last year, or we have Chabot.. Both of them are better than many of the existing first string Division 1 goalies in the nation. We have to "make do" with some highly touted freshmen, and we worry whether they'll be so good they might leave school early. Gosh what a pity party. How can some of you be so pessimistic? Schaefer has done an outstanding job in "scheduling" the replacements for the graduating seniors, and our goalie. There is no doubt in my mind that we will be number one in the ECAC and contend for the frozen four. We may just be peaking at that time. There are many programs out there who woould "kill" to be in our situation. We have a greaeat returniing nucleus of guys, some real good frosh, and at least two capable goalies. Relax, and enjoy the ride!

Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: July 08, 2003 10:10AM

The 2003-2004 Cornell Team Roster at USCHO has David McKee listed as a freshman goalie.

So, will we be going with a 3 goalie platoon?

Date: July 08, 2003 10:27AM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:
That was indeed the situation with Burt. (And possibly also Skazyk.)

I don't believe Skazyk was a deferred admission, as he did not matriculate at Cornell until January 1993. I think he might have taken classes at TC3 in the fall of '92. The Big Red started that season with Andy Bandurski in net, backed up by JV'er Geoff Raynak (this was the season after Parris Duffus turned pro).

Posted by: French Rage (---.northgrum.com)
Date: July 08, 2003 11:48AM

I agree with Tom. While we may not be the national title contender we were last year, we will still be pretty damn competitive this year. Not to downplay the loss of LeNeveu and the seniors, but I feel that the sophomores will continue on their great pace and our highly-touted freshmen class will be able to make a contribution. Look at the stats, we've got a fast and big, and most importantly defensive mined, group of guys coming in, and by the end of this year at least they should be on pace to replacing '03.

Granted Marr, Chabot, and McKee are no LeNeveu (at least that we know of), but theyre not complete sieves for crying out loud. Marr went 2-2 with a 1.76 GAA against two ranked and NCAA tourny teams, Maine (who was #2 at the time) and OSU, and then swept the North Country. Three years ago we would have considering a sweep of the North Country a miracle. And McKee, from what I read, seems more than able to continue Cornell's great goaltender tradition; for comparison, another NAHL all-start goalie was Ryan Miller. Chabot, well, I'm not completely sold, but he was highly touted, so he should be able to hold his own.

While I think we may be a bit to young to be called a Frozen Four contender, I see us being able to crack the national rankings now and then, sort of like we did during 00-01. I think we are a definite front runner, if not favorite for the ECAC. Yeah, I know everyone says Harvard will win the ECAC, but theyve been saying that for how many years now and it hasnt happened. I think Schafer will be able to mold these guys quickly enough that we could still belieavable will win the Cleary Bidet.

Date: July 08, 2003 11:58AM

RedAR wrote:
So, will we be going with a 3 goalie platoon?
That doesn't seem to be Schafer's pattern. E.g., Pelletier saw very little action while Elliott and Skazyk were platooning, and likewise Gartman behind Burt and Underhill. (Presumably with Marr only having a year of eligibility left, there's less worry that the #3 guy will get antsy and transfer to Michigan.)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: July 08, 2003 12:56PM

Definitely agree with JTW, I've been saying to friends now that I expect a Marr/Chabot 50-50ish rotation (unless one proves to be significantly better, maybe with Marr getting the call a bit more at first).

McKee will probably hone his skills in practice - I get the feeling Schafer doesn't play freshmen right off the bat - think of Gartman, Lenny's first half of the year until he proved himself very impressive in practice. If he shows signs of the next coming, perhaps he'll get some time later, but if not, I expect a Marr/Chabot year, followed by Chabot/McKee for the forseeable future.

Post Edited (07-08-03 12:58)

Date: July 08, 2003 01:25PM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:
Definitely agree with JTW, I've been saying to friends now that I expect a Marr/Chabot 50-50ish rotation (unless one proves to be significantly better, maybe with Marr getting the call a bit more at first).

McKee will probably hone his skills in practice - I get the feeling Schafer doesn't play freshmen right off the bat - think of Gartman, Lenny's first half of the year until he proved himself very impressive in practice. If he shows signs of the next coming, perhaps he'll get some time later, but if not, I expect a Marr/Chabot year, followed by Chabot/McKee for the forseeable future.
I think LeNeveu played every regular season weekend his freshman year except one--the first ECAC weekend against Union and RPI. Even played Cornell's opening game of the year against UAH.

If McKee's good, he'll play soon.

Posted by: Richard Stott (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 08, 2003 02:14PM

I agree. On paper McKee seems to be a very good prospect and I think he'll play a lot. I feel much better about things than if we only had Marr and Chabot. No matter how it turns out, out have to give Schafer credit. He had a Plan B ready to go when LeNeveu left.

We have huge graduation losses and what now appears to be a really first-rate Freshman class. I don't know when I have had less idea what to expect from team. I'm really looking forward to seeing them play.

Date: July 08, 2003 02:27PM

When asked last fall about playing Marr or Chabot to prepare them for LeNeveu's juniors championship absence, Schafer made clear he intended to field the best possible team every game. I don't expect next year he'll do it any differently.

Richard Stott wrote:
We have huge graduation losses and what now appears to be a really first-rate Freshman class. I don't know when I have had less idea what to expect from team. I'm really looking forward to seeing them play.
My sentiments exactly.

Date: July 08, 2003 02:49PM

Al DeFlorio wrote:

Richard Stott wrote:
My sentiments exactly.
I third that emotion. I am not expecting to compete for the national title, but I am expecting this squad to compete for the ECAC title, and I am expecting them to be in the running for an NCAA bid if the team falls short in Albany.

As for the goalies, I trust that Schafer will play his best team every chance he gets, and if McKee is the best goalie he will get substantial playing time. But until proven otherwise, I think it is best to set our expectations for McKee a little lower than "David LeNevue redux." Marr played well in his limited opportunities last year, and Chabot was a highly regarded prospect coming into the year. I would rather have Lenny between the pipes, but I feel very good about the coming year.

Last year was great, but I think that what we do this year will say more about, and mean more to, the future of this team. Wary but excited, I can't wait for the Red/White game.

Post Edited (07-08-03 14:50)

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2003 02:58PM

Greg wrote:

If the past is any indication we'll see this pattern repeat itself:

(1) Confusion.
(2) Anger and frustration.
(3) Orgy of recriminations.
(4) Call for Schafer's head.

Depending upon the age of the fan, this takes between 3 losing seasons (30 year olds) and 3 losing weekends (20 year olds).

A somewhat insulting generalization, but I guess myself and others can just pretend that we're among the wiser or more patient (or whatever the intimation was) 30+ year-old fans...

Heck, if I still voice my support and appreciation for someone like Armando Benitez, then I think it'll take more than 3 sub-par weekends to head for the ledge with the hockey team. :-)

Post Edited (07-08-03 14:59)

Date: July 08, 2003 05:04PM

I don't think 30-year olds (or, gulp, 40-year olds) are any wiser than 20-year olds; they've just been on the roller coaster longer and have been dulled into greater acceptance of the jolts. (See also: crushes, political delusions, etc...) Patience and moderation are more of a scar than a badge.

When faced with a genuinely new situation, anyone has an equal chance of freaking out, regardless of age.

I doubt we'll have a three goalie rotation for long, if at all. Coaches generally regard that as a morale nightmare.

This season will hopefully be the start of something great -- I only wish for people not to throw a fit if it is a modest start.

Date: July 08, 2003 06:24PM

Greg wrote:

I doubt we'll have a three goalie rotation for long, if at all. Coaches generally regard that as a morale nightmare.

Not all coaches. See Morris, Mark (Clarkson '88 - '02).

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2003 06:27PM

Richard Stott wrote:

And for any of the faithful who aren't so faithful, I will be happy to buy your season tickets, single tickets or even a ticket to park in the lot outside Lynah.

Damn it, look on the bright side. You could be watching your Division 1 hockey in Cambridge (ugh), Hanover (ugh) or Troy (ugh, ugh ugh-ly).

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2003 06:50PM

I think you guys are giving 20 year olds too much credit. :-)

Date: July 08, 2003 11:06PM

Dave McKee was #41 for Texas, presumably because he wanted to be (a Tom Seaver freak, maybe?). I hope we won't see a non-traditional uni number next year, but I guess it's a possibility.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: July 09, 2003 01:00PM

I figured McKee was paying homage to the illustrious Eddie Mio.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if McKee isn't issued #31 next year. It's not unusual for a player to wear a number higher than 31 in juniors and beign wearing a traditional number upon his arrival in Ithaca. For example, Jeremy Downs wore #44 for the Omaha Lancers.

Date: July 09, 2003 02:54PM

big red apple wrote:

Greg wrote:

Not all coaches. See Morris, Mark (Clarkson '88 - '02).

Ahem, yes, and see morale (Clarkson over about the same time period, particularly since '97 or so).

Anyway, I would call Morris' strategy a lot of things, but a "rotation" isn't one of them. It often seemed more to me like he would decide, "OK, I'll start this guy, but at the first hint of shakiness, I'll yank him for that guy, who will play until the first hint of shakiness, etc."

Joe Marsh did actually have a three-goalie rotation at St. Lawrence in the 1999-2000 season, as he rotated Jeremy Symington, Sean Coakley, and Derek Gustafson until the February stretch run, at which point Gustafson took over full-time and the Saints made the Frozen Four.

Posted by: dirtbag (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 07:01PM

hmm.. well i agree with you just a little.. lenny still has school and he should have at least taken us all the way before leaving... because we all know he could try again but this time we could make it and be the champions. also i talked to lenny twice about the situation... and he did say that he wasn't going, and we all believed him.. so basically he lied to our faces, which really hurts after such a wonderful season with such a wonderful guy. but if you look on the positive side, if lenny thinks hes gonna get something out of this (including money if hes looking for it) then go for it... if hockey is what he wants to do, then he should go for it. but i still think he should have stayed at least another year, started out fresh to get back where we were, and get another year or two under his belt. he's a great goalie but i seriously doubt phoenix will play him anytime soon. the nhl goalies can beat him any day, and if he doesnt play, then he just made a huge mistake. basically, he's rushing into things. i would think phoenix would hold on to him until he graduates if they really love him that much....

Date: July 12, 2003 04:22AM

I'll try to go easy...

dirtbag wrote:

lenny still has school and he should have at least taken us all the way before leaving... because we all know he could try again but this time we could make it and be the champions.
Sure. Sounds like a piece of cake. All we needed was to throw Lenny back between the pipes, and that national championship was practically in the bag. Even though we lost a significant amount of the core of the team to graduation...

[Q]also i talked to lenny twice about the situation... and he did say that he wasn't going, and we all believed him.. so basically he lied to our faces, [/Q]
What do you mean "we," kemosabe? I never heard any combination of words from him that said he was definitely coming back, and I was still in a "wait-and-see" mode. Sorry he broke your heart, but honestly, I don't believe he owed us, the fans, anything. He'll still have opportunities to continue his education, which he did say was important to him and his family...I respect that a great deal.

[Q]nhl goalies can beat him any day, and if he doesnt play, then he just made a huge mistake. basically, he's rushing into things. i would think phoenix would hold on to him until he graduates if they really love him that much....[/Q]
Actually, if you're an NHL team, and you have a valuable player...would you rather A) have him play for a team independent of your organization that has its own agenda and goals under coaches that have no real vested interest in his professional future...or B) Develop him in your own minor league system under coaches, trainers, and resources you hire and control? He'll play in an environment (most likely the AHL) that is much more suited to Phoenix's developmental goals. They invested a high draft pick on him, and now have invested money in him. They obviously love him more than we wish they did. :-)

Date: July 13, 2003 08:53PM

Rich Hovorka '96 wrote:

Keith K '93 wrote:

OK, I'll eat my words. I hope, for the sake of academic integrity, that McKee had already been admitted to Cornell and had been deferring unless and until Lenny went pro.

I spoke with someone in the hockey office last week, and that is indeed the case.
I'm 100% with Keith on the academic integrity issue, and I'm happy to confirm Rich is absolutely correct.

I just learned from a very reliable source that McKee--just as Rich said--had already been admitted and had been deferred until fall 2004. And for all the naysayers on the subject of Ivy League need-based financial aid, this source emphatically made very clear that McKee "will receive no financial aid at all."

Which, of course, is not unusual in the Ivy League. From a 1972 SI article on Canadiens' rookie goaltender Ken Dryden--then making a whopping $35,000 salary: ""Despite what people think, I did not have a scholarship at Cornell," Dryden says. "Oh, I got $200 each year for an honorary scholarship [a year in A&S cost about US$3500 at that time], but that barely accounted for the currency exchange." So he worked. As a freshman Dryden was a waiter and dishwasher in a fraternity house and earned his room and board. During the summers he did construction work in Ithaca, destruction work on Toronto buildings and a combination of both in Alaska."

Rest easy, Keith. Academic integrity lives.:-)

Re: Thinning the herd
Posted by: Steve Marciniec '85 (---.fluor.com)
Date: July 31, 2003 05:10PM

Were there lots of empty seats at Lynah before our recent successes? I haven't been to a game at Lynah in 17 years, but if my memory serves me correctly, there weren't many empty seats even during the lean years in the early 80's.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2003 06:47PM

One of the goals that Coach Schafer made at the onset of his tenure was to make sellout crowds the norm at Lynah.

It was no problem whatsoever to call the ticket office in January or February of '96 and buy tickets in the townie section. My family of four enjoyed two games that winter.

We have tried to make this an annual event and can attest that since '96 tickets have been scarce.

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (130.64.45.---)
Date: August 04, 2003 06:23PM

I bought season tickets my first year at Cornell, 1995. First year students had no problems getting seats in section D. The rink definitely wasn't full...

-John

Posted by: French Rage (---.northgrum.com)
Date: August 05, 2003 09:08AM

IIRC from 2000-2001, which was the last mediocre (though still pretty damn good) season, Lynah was full, but not packed. That is, there werent any gaps anywhere, but it certainly wasnt as full as the last two seasons. You could still get tickets before the games outside (even Harvard if you paid enough).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login