Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Central Scouting Final Ranking

Posted by Greg Berge 
Central Scouting Final Ranking
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: May 14, 2003 02:30PM

Cornellians:

[www.spiritone.com]

Re: Central Scouting Final Ranking
Posted by: ugarte (68.160.74.---)
Date: May 14, 2003 06:15PM

You missed:

154 CAREFOOT, MITCH BCHL SALMON ARM 1/2/1985 6' 1" 209 C R 56

Date: May 14, 2003 07:19PM

Thanks. Now updated.

Date: May 14, 2003 07:58PM

Sorry about this. Also, from the international rankings:

89 STACHURSKI, MICHAEL FIN JR. BLUES JR.

EDIT: Actually, Greg, I don't think that we have been searching the final rankings. There are links to "final rankings," but they are empty. I get "no document found" when I check for final rankings and I think I may have cited the midterms for Stachurski and Carefoot - and I think you may have done the same for everyone else.

Post Edited (05-14-03 20:09)

Date: May 15, 2003 01:19AM

I made that comment on USCHO, but it is true that the rankings are dated 5/13.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.208.129.190.dial1.sanfrancisco1.level3.n)
Date: May 15, 2003 02:00AM

Mitch Carefoot was ranked #154 in the midterm rankings, but is not listed among the 210 North American skaters in the final rankings.

The final European rankings have not yet been released. In theory, Mike Stachurski should not be listed because he cannot be drafted unless he opts into the draft (and forfeits his NCAA eligibility). However, 18-year-old Wisconsin recruit Ryan Suter is ranked #7 in the final N.A. skater rankings, and I have not heard that he has opted into the draft.

Post Edited (05-15-03 02:01)

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2003 02:12AM

When is the draft anyway? For someone who is too lazy to look it up himself.

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2003 03:09AM

You no longer forfeit your NCAA eligibility by opting-into the draft PRIOR to enrolling in college.

This only happens if you are already enrolled in college (a la Michigan goalie Al Montoya).

This was part of the NCAA pre-enrollment amateurism de-regulation package that originally could've led to Major Junior players being eligible for college hockey without penalty. The final watered down version did little - though the change to the opt-in interpretation was one thing that affected hockey.

Posted by: JordanCS (---.kln.army.mil)
Date: May 15, 2003 03:53AM

I only went to one game this year, but from reports and stats, I'm kind of surprised to see Hynes well ahead of Moulson in the rankings? Thoughts from people who actually saw them play all season?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: May 15, 2003 06:54AM

Jordan Steele '01 wrote:

I only went to one game this year, but from reports and stats, I'm kind of surprised to see Hynes well ahead of Moulson in the rankings? Thoughts from people who actually saw them play all season?
Size?

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2003 08:30AM

Where do you see that? I still can't find the final rankings. Link, please. Thanks.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 15, 2003 08:41AM

I only went to a half-dozen or so games, but Hynes caught my eye more than Moulson.

Maybe I was watching Bâby and Vesce when Moulson was on the ice, so I didn't notice him as much, but Hynes definitely seemed to be more of a factor in the games I saw (mostly playoffs).

I also think there may be something of a Lindros factor - playing with a star player makes you better - and the scouts may be trying to discount that.

JH

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 15, 2003 09:07AM

I think it has a lot to do with size.

Hynes can be a solid grinder on a 3rd line in the NHL for years to come, even if he doesn't develop an NHL scoring touch. They might see Moulson as a perimeter player with great offensive upside, but there are lots of players like him in the draft. Several of them are bigger and have better stats.

I don't think there was any discounting. I don't think the scouts see Bâby and Vesce as star players.

Posted by: CUlater (---.ambacinc.com)
Date: May 15, 2003 09:31AM

[Q]Where do you see that? I still can't find the final rankings. Link, please. Thanks.[/Q]

When you get to the rankings page, click on "Click here for .PDF files". That link contains the domestic skaters and goalies rankings as of May 13. International players to be posted at a later date.

Posted by: Adam 04 (---.or3.marketscore.com)
Date: May 15, 2003 09:51AM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

...Hynes definitely seemed to be more of a factor in the games I saw (mostly playoffs)...

JH

Like getting a stupid undisciplined penalty in the third period of the semi-final? I'd say he was a factor as well, but not in a good way. He is talented, but IMHO, he needs to grow up and learn to walk away when someone is baiting him.

Date: May 15, 2003 10:22AM

Adam J. Doyle wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

...Hynes definitely seemed to be more of a factor in the games I saw (mostly playoffs)...

JH

Like getting a stupid undisciplined penalty in the third period of the semi-final? I'd say he was a factor as well, but not in a good way. He is talented, but IMHO, he needs to grow up and learn to walk away when someone is baiting him.

A bit harsh, no? He played very well for the team, and one ill-advised (to put it mildly) play should not ruin a very good season.

I don't know who is "better" of Moulson or Hynes; we should see this year when Moulson has his training wheels (Bâby and Murray) taken off.

Date: May 15, 2003 10:25AM

Thanks. By the way, what happened to the #4 goalie?

Posted by: CUlater (---.ambacinc.com)
Date: May 15, 2003 10:51AM

[Q]By the way, what happened to the #4 goalie?[/Q]

The site says:

Please Note: There are four (4) positions that have been left blank - they represent four (4) players that have not yet opted-in. As soon as their status changes, the RANKING will be revised and posted here [meaning there]

Date: May 15, 2003 10:54AM

CUlater '89 wrote:

The site says:

Please Note: There are four (4) positions that have been left blank - they represent four (4) players that have not yet opted-in. As soon as their status changes, the RANKING will be revised and posted here [meaning there]

Thanks. Should we assume Montoya?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 15, 2003 12:50PM

That's what they said on USCHO. Take that for what it's worth :-)... seems pretty likely though.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: May 15, 2003 01:52PM

Is this the first year in which a player can opt into the draft before enrolling in college without affecting his NCAA eligibility?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: May 15, 2003 02:39PM

Yes.

Craig Buckser '94 wrote:

Is this the first year in which a player can opt into the draft before enrolling in college without affecting his NCAA eligibility?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: May 15, 2003 04:59PM

big red apple wrote:

CUlater '89 wrote:

The site says:

Thanks. Should we assume Montoya?
Yes.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: May 16, 2003 11:16AM

Adam J. Doyle wrote:

but IMHO, he needs to grow up and learn to walk away when someone is baiting him.

Hello, Mr. Pot, I like you to meet Mr. Kettle...

cf. Lake placid 2002

:-P

home grown
Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2003 11:56AM

good to see Ithaca born Dustin Brown at number 2. I find it nuts that his mother talked to me about hockey after high school way back. of course i deferred her to people who actually would know what they were talking about. :-)

just interesting is all. too bad he didnt go to cornell over playing at guelph. nut

I like Moulson Better
Posted by: Scott (---.t1.inch.com)
Date: May 24, 2003 06:00PM

Although I think Al is right as far as why Hynes moved ahead of Moulson (size), I really believe that Moulson is going to be awesome for us. He appears much smoother than Hynes - a Brad Chartrand type. I am very excited about Moulson, Hynes and Pegoraro. However, clearly, the incoming class is the key to Cornell's future. We have a lot of good players to replace.

Re: I like Moulson Better, but....
Posted by: Alan (65.205.40.---)
Date: May 30, 2003 02:02PM

I think that Moulson is a great impact player for the Big Red. He has good speed, skating and puck handling abilities. Hynes on the other hand, handles the puck well and plays a great physical game. Hynes' size and physical toughness is what makes him more desirable for an NHL team.

I like them both. I am glad to see them wearing Red. Either one may have a shot at an NHL career, but I am going to enjoy their time at Cornell, first.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login