Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Hockey Celebration Thursday 4/17 @ Lynah

Posted by Larry72 
Cornell Hockey Celebration Thursday 4/17 @ Lynah
Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2003 09:09PM

Cornell Hockey Celebration This Thursday, April 17

The Cornell and Ithaca communities and all members of the "Lynah Faithful" are invited to Lynah Rink this Thursday, April 17, to help celebrate the 2002-03 Cornell men's hockey season.

Starting at 7 p.m., the evening's program will include a banner raising ceremony, the Big Red Pep Band and comments from head coach Mike Schafer and selected players. An autograph session will wrap up the evening.

This event is free and open to all.

Re: Cornell Hockey Celebration Thursday 4/17 @ Lynah
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2003 11:15PM

Here is the university announcement:

[cornellbigred.ocsn.com]

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.stanford.edu)
Date: April 16, 2003 02:46PM

Folks, is it kosher for us to send congratulatory e-mail or faxes to the hockey office on Thursday, as a way to participate in the campus-wide celebration? Many of us now live far away from Ithaca, but we have followed the storied season no matter where we are, and I for one would love to "be there" tomorrow, to show my appreciation for Mike Schafer and all the players. :-)

LGR!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: April 16, 2003 06:06PM

Internet coverage?

Please?!

Posted by: Melissa'01 (---.ip.reallyfastnet.com)
Date: April 17, 2003 08:23AM

agree with greg. anyone? please?

driving 6hrs on a week-day was considered but by the end of the damn season i am so G.D. tired ... esp since i stayed up late (kinda) to watch detroit lose! :-D priceless!!!!!

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2003 09:53PM

so i just wanted to say that the drive was worth it. the celebration was a great excuse to see my fiancee and ended up being worth it on its own :-) it was a good time. the players, staff, auxilaries (sp?), fans, and everyone else did a great job. thanks to the players for being nice and talkative and everything on the ice. Let's go RED!

ps

also liked the comments by coach ;-)

Posted by: Lenny is a GOD! (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 18, 2003 11:53AM

I noticed a few people carrying around really nice, professional quality photos of the team on the ice after they won the ECAC Championship. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get these?!?!

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: April 18, 2003 01:16PM

An older thread has the details:

[elf.hockey.cornell.edu]

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.stanford.edu)
Date: April 18, 2003 09:04PM

Yeah, but there was also a thread that said these photos weren't as nice as some others, like the ones Age took. You can also buy them through eLynah if you want.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: April 19, 2003 01:56PM

Could anyone post the details of what went on at the Thursday rally/thank you? What coach said, etc.?

Posted by: Section A (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 19, 2003 02:59PM

A lot of the more memorable moments are mentioned in the "More Best Moments" thread, but as far as a chronological order of what happened (and everyone else can fill in the blanks, as I may forget something)...

The event began around 7:15. I'd say around 600 fans were in attendance. The ice had been removed, and a platform at the west end of the rink was set up, with a podium and with 8 chairs, for the coaches, Andy Noel, and a couple other important people. Twenty-something chairs were to the right of the platform, on the concrete floor. That's where the players eventually sat. Oh - and the scoreboard read, fittingly, Cornell 3 Harvard 0

Arthur Mintz announced that Shane Hynes, Greg Hornby, and Kelly Hughes were not in attendance due to "prior committments." Then, one by one, in order by their jersey number, starting with Chabot and ending with LeNeveu, the players were announced. They walked out in dress clothes but with their jerseys on as well. Certain players (Bâby, Murray, Paolini) also walked out with some of the hardware earned this season. The loudest ovations, I'd say, were for Paolini and for LeNeveu. That's just a subjective estimate though, of course.

The players took their seats, and Arthur went through a lengthy rundown of the season. I really liked this because it was really an opportunity to reflect on just how great a season it was. The rundown went weekend by weekend, pointing out both team and individual accomplishments along the way, as well as keeping track of where the team was in the national polls. When the review of the season reached the Harvard title game and the BC double OT thriller, Adam Wodon's radio calls of the three memorable goals (Mark McRae, Paolini, Matt McRae) were played overhead.

Select members of the team were given a chance to speak as well. Paolini said that hearing the call of his goal still gives him goosebumps. He talked about how great of a time he had playing in front of the Lynah Faithful, and specifically thanked the Big Red Pep Band for their support and for their ability to continue the tradition of the Faithful. The McRaes also spoke, and talked about how it was an "unfair advantage" that they played on the same team. The McRaes were asked to give any advice to the Abbotts about playing with each other, and they sort of just complemented their exciting play and said that they were sure to "carry on their tradition [of having twins on the team]."

Andy Noel and a couple others spoke about how this was one of the best Cornell athletic teams in the history of the University. It was pretty much a bunch of cliches that I won't go into.

There was also a moment recognizing Paolini's community involvement, and Hockey Humanitarian win. He received a standing ovation from not only the fans and the coaches but his teammates as well. He was obviously moved by it, and I thought it was a really nice moment.

Schafer was greeted by the Schafer (sp.?) beer song. "Hey that's better than Kill!Schafer, Kill!" he said, when he took the mic at the podium. Schafer, as usual, thanked his supporting staff, from the trainer to the assistant coaches. He noted that Brekke and Russell spend hours away from their families, recruiting all the top notch players - a job he referred to as "oftentimes thankless." Schafer then talked about how memorable of a season it was, with a great group of players and leaders. Then he noted a mistake in Arthur's rundown of the season. "The University of New Hampshire did not jump out to a 3-0 lead, as I recall. You know, I've never said this publically, but I'm going to say it now. (pause). That was a goal." The few fans who were actually there erupted, and an immediate standing ovation followed. Schafer announced the captains for next year (A: Wallace. C: Vesce), and then introduced Bâby by saying that if he ever wants a coaching job under Schafer, he'd love to have him. And Schafer also noted that the only other person he'd ever said that to was Brent Brekke.

Bâby was next to speak and was greeted with the "Hey Bâby" song. "I'm going to miss that song," he said. "My mom might not...but I sure will." That comment drew some laughs from the crowd. Honestly, I don't really remember what he said, so maybe someone else might fill in this blank.

The banner raising ceremony was next, as Schafer, Murray and Bâby, helped hoist up the 3 banners to the roof. Bâby had a little trouble, but as the band played Gary Glitter, the 3 banners were raised up high, so that their fronts were facing the west (EDIT: EAST, not west) end of the rink (make sense?).

The alma mater followed, and then the autograph session on the "ice." The players were great and really willing to chat. I had the chance to talk with Murray a bit about what he might be doing next year ("hopefully San Jose";), and everyone was just really nice in general.

Great time; after this season, the players deserved a ceremony like that.

Post Edited (04-19-03 15:47)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 19, 2003 03:40PM

I'll add a couple things. I don't exactly remember what Bâby said either, only that he felt he was lucky to have played in Lynah in front of the faithful. Also, upon introducing Bâby, Schafer called one one of the most hard working, committed captains he'd ever seen (don't remember the exact words, but that was the gist).

The banners were actually raised on the west side of the rink (near the locker rooms), facing east - in other words, perpendicular to all the others - though I assume they were double sided, so they probably faced both ways. I wonder if they'll leave them there or move them in line with all the others.

The only additional comment I remember is one of Schafer's. He spoke of a great freshman class coming in for next year and that they would "help keep Cornell where they deserved to be, as one of the elite programs in the country."

All I can say is...

Let's Go RED!!!! Damn the summer's too long.

Post Edited (04-19-03 15:43)

Posted by: npho (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2003 09:55PM

all i have to add is..
i'm guessing that they will eventually move the banners in line with the others ... it didn't look like they were going to stay where coach and the players raised them. they probably have to do more work to get the new banners in place and lined up with the rest, so for the fans they probably temporarily raised them perpendicular to all the other banners.

also i thought it was kind of funny how dougie decided to make it a contest...such a competetive guy. and stephen did have some trouble getting the banner up...kind of funny actually :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login