Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hobey and Humanitarian

Posted by MWhea82 
Hobey and Humanitarian
Posted by: MWhea82 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 11, 2003 01:41PM

Anyone know what's happening over there?

-seeking solace

Re: Hobey and Humanitarian
Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.stanford.edu)
Date: April 11, 2003 01:43PM

Nothing on USCHO.com yet....
I did a Google search on news, and nothing new turned up either.

Post Edited (04-11-03 13:43)

Posted by: MWhea82 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 11, 2003 01:44PM

is there an audio broadcast or anything?

Posted by: jd212 (---.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: April 11, 2003 02:01PM

errr, it's on tv at 2:30pm. i think the 1 o'clock time is wrong

Date: April 11, 2003 02:06PM

Maybe 1:00 p.m. Central time?? screwy After all, so many teams do play in that time zone nut

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.cshl.org)
Date: April 11, 2003 02:08PM

I think it could be that the Town Hall meeting starts at 1:00, with the awards at 2:30.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2003 02:13PM

Town hall @ 1:00
Humanitarian @ 2:00
Hobey @ 2:30 This only on ESN

Posted by: Warren (---.hot.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2003 02:30PM

Paolini won the Humanitarian award!

Posted by: Will (128.253.12.---)
Date: April 11, 2003 02:35PM

Warren wrote:

Paolini won the Humanitarian award!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2003 02:38PM

sweet! congrats sammy!

now let us have Lenny win the hobey. i am watching it so i will post with results :-)

Posted by: atb9 (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2003 02:45PM

What channel is it on?

Date: April 11, 2003 02:49PM

Nuts. Sejna won the Hobey. :-/

Posted by: pfibiger (4.38.40.---)
Date: April 11, 2003 02:50PM

according to posters on uscho.com, Peter Sejna won.

Date: April 11, 2003 02:52PM

sejna won

Posted by: Lenny is a GOD! (---.resnet.cornell.edu)

That really sucks.

Congrats to Sammy.

Poor Lenny :-/

it is on empire

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.twcny.rr.com)

Maybe Sejna deserved it, but if Lenny couldn't win it this year, a goalie shouldn't ever win the Hobey.

Re: Paolini and Humanitarian
Date: April 11, 2003 02:57PM

Yup, the Hobey news just does not cheer me up :-/
What does a goal have to do to win the nation's top hockey honor?!

On the other hand, I am truly happy for Sammy, who wins the Hockey Humanitarian Award. As the husband of a two-time cancer survivor, I applaude that Sam has done off the ice and frankly think that the bank in Ithaca ought to have donated more $$ per PPG to Sam's charity.

Posted by: Lenny is a GOD! (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 11, 2003 03:00PM

I agree....

I just don't see how anyone who puts up the best numbers for their position in the history of the sport doesn't end up with the Hobey?!?!

uhoh

Date: April 11, 2003 03:03PM

Do we know if Lenny came in second or third?

Date: April 11, 2003 03:03PM

Clearly, we need a new goalie-only award idea

Date: April 11, 2003 03:04PM

Tom Tseng '87 wrote:

What does a goal have to do to win the nation's top hockey honor?!

Apparently, post LeNeveu's godlike numbers while playing in the WCHA (or maybe Hockey East). rolleyes Methinks our boys will never escape the anti-EZAC bias.

Posted by: CUlater (---.ambacinc.com)
Date: April 11, 2003 03:10PM

I'm sure some of the voters discounted LeNeveu's performance because the team defense is so good and because Underhill performed so well last season behind a similar defense. Of course, it's possible to play behind a great defense and still deserve the award for best player in the country (and obviously many voters must have felt that way since he finished in the top 3), but Sejna had a pretty good year too (including a great point-scoring streak) and the award had not gone to a forward in the past three seasons.

Posted by: littleredfan (---.ciw.cornell.edu)
Date: April 11, 2003 03:16PM

I'm not so sure why people think Lenny not getting the Hobey is such an outrage. It seems like it was a tossup between Lenny and Sejna, and its really tough for voters to see how Lenny would be in the absence of of the defense. Yes, you can go purely by the stats, but they are in the context of the stellar Cornell D. When Ryan Miller won it, I'm not sure Michigan State's D was as good, and as a result, he was forced to rely on his own skill to make some key stops. As a result, you saw games in which he did have 30+ saves to make.

The point is not that Lenny didn't deserve it because of the Cornell defense, but rather that the great D and Lenny's own skill were sufficiently blurred to make voters doubt Lenny's accomplishments in the absence of evidence that he was forced to come up with huge saves in tough games.

Posted by: Section A (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 11, 2003 03:26PM

Sejna may have won the Hobey, but he didn't lead his team to the Frozen Four. David holds that over him.

Congrats to Paolini though. What a great story.

Date: April 11, 2003 03:41PM

I would take the Humanitarian over the Hobey any day anyway! Go Sammy!

Date: April 11, 2003 03:43PM

errr, first team all-american? screwy

Posted by: the abbott fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2003 04:24PM

i dont exactly understand why a guy from colorado college won the hobey...i mean he's a good player, but lenny is outstanding...he had some pretty unbelievable numbers and you can't beat that. and i dont know if this had anything to do with it, but colorado college was number one in the nation all season and then they didn't even make it to the frozen four....we got a lot farther than they did. i mean i guess it doesn't matter if he's a good player but his team sucks, but if he was such a good player how come if team wasn't better? don't they put into perspective how well they kid plays but also how well the team does? i just dont understand how lenny didnt win it. because he's a goalie? because they ecac never gets any respect? did the fact that they had that lost to UNH have to do with the pick? i personally think it's a bad choice, and that they should have picked lenny. not because im a cornell fan but i truely think lenny is the better player.
the abbott fan

Post Edited (04-11-03 16:29)

Posted by: dadeo (---.dialup.cornell.edu)
Date: April 11, 2003 05:59PM

well nadie leigh
The decision about who won HObey was made before the UNH game, so that had nothing to do with it. Even if they voted today, you gotta give credit to Sabarino and company for the excellent goals they made yesterdau. Yea, of course dave (lenny) was fantastic, but as was stated above, our outstanding defense kind of put questions into the voters heads. So, when it comes down to the best forward in the country versus the best goalie (statistically) in the country considering the above question, the choice was easy. Well, lets just hope he stays with the team next year
Ugh, long off season
LGR
dave

Posted by: uh...yeah (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2003 05:59PM

Author: N Phoenix '12
Date: 04-11-03 16:24

i dont exactly understand why a guy from colorado college won the hobey...i mean he's a good player, but lenny is outstanding...he had some pretty unbelievable numbers and you can't beat that. and i dont know if this had anything to do with it, but colorado college was number one in the nation all season and then they didn't even make it to the frozen four....we got a lot farther than they did. i mean i guess it doesn't matter if he's a good player but his team sucks, but if he was such a good player how come if team wasn't better? don't they put into perspective how well they kid plays but also how well the team does? i just dont understand how lenny didnt win it. because he's a goalie? because they ecac never gets any respect? did the fact that they had that lost to UNH have to do with the pick? i personally think it's a bad choice, and that they should have picked lenny. not because im a cornell fan but i truely think lenny is the better player.
the abbott fan

Ooook. In my opinion...lenny and sejna were the top 2 contenders, they both deserved to win. Lenny did play behind a spectacular defense, and I'm sure the voters took that into account. Also, there has been a defensive trend in recent hobey winners, so maybe they were biased to give it to a forward. Anyway...in regards to your other comments... we did not get "a lot farther than they did". We won one more game...hardly a lot farther. "I mean i guess it doesn't matter if he's a good player but his team sucks, but if he was such a good player how come if team wasn't better?" WTF does that mean?

Lenny may well be the better player (I personally think he is)...but I think he just got snubbed because of the Defense in front of him, the trend in recent hobey winners, and the fact that he's only a sophomore. If he comes back and duplicates his numbers next year, he's almost surely a lock for Hobey.

Date: April 11, 2003 11:25PM

The same could be said about CC's offense but it isn't.

I think N Phoenix said Sejna isn't a fantastic player like Lenny. Uhhhh...You must not have seen him play then. Sejna deserved the Hobey just as much as Lenny did.

Posted by: the abbott fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2003 12:02AM

i didnt say that and shouldnt because no i havent seen sejna play. but im saying that lenny is a fantastic player who has broken many records and deserves the hobey baker award. im sure sejna is a great player...because he obviously won the award, i just dont know how they missed lenny...hes truely amazeing.
the abbott fan

Date: April 12, 2003 12:16AM

Take solace in this: Sejna has already scored a goal in the NHL.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2003 01:04AM

[Q] I would take the Humanitarian over the Hobey any day anyway! [/Q] Puh-leeze. rolleyes

Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 12, 2003 01:14AM

we got a lot farther than they did. i mean i guess it doesn't matter if he's a good player but his team sucks, but if he was such a good player how come if team wasn't better? don't they put into perspective how well they kid plays but also how well the team does?

Are you a moron or what? It's an *individual* award, for chrissakes.

Posted by: Rico (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2003 01:16AM

Personally, I think already being in the NHL should disqualify Sejna, but that's just me. I'd like to think that college hockey is more than just a nationwide farm-team.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2003 01:32AM

The voting took place before Senja bolted, and Senja didn't leave until after the season was over. He was probably off campus for a week.

Date: April 12, 2003 08:56AM

actually...after the interview with sejna i felt much better about lenny losing. sejna is a kid with a good head on his shoulders who I am sure was sincere about his comments. Pulling for other players to realize that the farm of the independent and junior leagues is not as beneficial as getting an education and playing hockey at the same time.

another thing to realize is that the hobey is more than just numbers...

the announcer also mentioned that it is a career award. i had thought it was an award just for the season. if it is a career award then lenny will win it in the future - too young?

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 12, 2003 01:12PM

[Q]jy3 says:
the announcer also mentioned that it is a career award. i had thought it was an award just for the season. if it is a career award then lenny will win it in the future - too young?[/Q]

The answer to that must be "no." Ryan Miller won the award as a sophomore in 2001.

I think the award should be based on this season alone. That said, Sejna and LeNeveu both put up outstanding numbers, and each was a very deserving candidate.

Posted by: jd212 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 12, 2003 01:21PM

oh spare me. anyone can be a great player any given day or year, but to be a great person, that's rare. and in the long run, that's all that counts anyway. he was the voted the greatest citizen in both men's and women's college hockey. That's a lot more meaningful than the HObey, considering all the lives he's affected.

Post Edited (04-12-03 13:31)

Posted by: jd212 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 12, 2003 01:27PM

errr, they didn't miss him. He came in second. Isn't that amazing?

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: April 13, 2003 07:37PM

Regarding which "I'd rather have," there's no contest. Being at the awards ceremony made it clear.

Lenny winning the Hobey would've made me incredibly happy, but Sam winning the Hockey Humanitarian award made me proud to be a Cornellian. I'll take that one-for-two every single time.

Now, if we're talking about a National Championship...

Hobey or Humanitarian?
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-la.caltech.edu)
Date: April 14, 2003 12:28AM

Remember that Lenny will also have another shot at the Hobey if he stays. It was nice that of the two awards, the one we got went to a senior.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login