Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

April 17, therefore, IN CELEBRATION...

Posted by CU at Stanford 
April 17, therefore, IN CELEBRATION...
Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.stanford.edu)
Date: April 10, 2003 07:11PM

OK, guys, this is not meant to be down on the team at all. Imagine the bus ride home for them. However, I think we, too, need a space to get over our disappointment and heartache. So, in the spirit of a roll call, I'll start...

:`(

Updated April 17--YES, Greg always has the right perspective, when all the chips are down, or all the pucks are dropped...But you know what I mean. So, in anticipation of this evening's festivities at Lynah (Banner raising?? Cool...), I am changing the original subject to this, in celebration of our beloved hockey team's accomplishments in 2002-03.
Tom

Post Edited (04-17-03 11:44)

Re: In mourning....
Posted by: atb9 (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2003 08:27PM

I posted this to another thread but it fits here too...

We had to fight back from a large deficit, a position that no team is good in, but did make it a close and exciting game. I've been following Cornell hockey since the day I got accepted and it peaked perfectly for me. We didn't win a national championship but I was thoroughly entertained this year and during my four years at Cornell, the team has reinforced my love for our school.

Posted by: Kyle Rose '98 (---.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: April 10, 2003 08:40PM

Adam, almost the same here. I discovered Cornell hockey during my sophomore year after my friend Andre said, "Hey, I can't make a game; why don't you take my tickets?" It inspired me enough to open a discussion forum which has since moved on to other, less busy hands. :-) But, even from the horrid confines of Bahstahn and the home of the Skating Cantabs, I manage to keep in touch with and follow my team.

Let's go Red!

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: gwm3 (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: April 10, 2003 08:53PM

Having graduated last year, I feel like this team will be the last group of guys I really "knew." Yes, there will still be some players on the team I watched for a year or two, but it will be hard for me to imagine Cornell without the likes of Bâby, Murray, and the McRaes. I wish it could have ended better for these guys--they were a truly remarkable class who gave me some of my best memories over the last 4 years. Here's wishing the best to all of them, and hoping that there will be many more like them in the years to come. Let's Go Red!

Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 10, 2003 09:20PM

Let's Go Red!

Being a freshman, I want to thank all the whole team and all the Faithful, especially the senior players and fans who are moving on. "We'll get 'em next year."

Let's Go Red!

Posted by: the abbott fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2003 09:27PM

yup, they've definitely made some on-ice mistakes, but knowing lenny and the rest of the team they are strong enough to move on. it is sad for the seniors, but all of those seniors will move on. it was a great season despite the not-so-great ending. time to move on and stay strong...and count down til october.
the abbott fan

Posted by: Denison (---.rte20201.de.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2003 09:31PM

Lets not forget that the hockey gods blessed us with some pretty fantastic games--it will be a long time before I can't recall that feeling of ecstasy in the BC 2nd OT goal in the upper corner

Although I was a student at the time of the Cornell's last great teams, I have enjoyed this year so much, much more.

I hope that Cornell and Ithaca will greet the ice hockey returning bus in style.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz '84 (---.59.97.72.dial1.weehawken1.level3.net)
Date: April 10, 2003 11:40PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I went to my first Cornell hockey game 23 years ago -- blah, blah, blah. The bottome line is that we wuz robbed! Nine hours later I'm still pissed. :-( screwy

Posted by: dadeo (---.dialup.cornell.edu)
Date: April 10, 2003 11:49PM

First, I agree that we were treated to fantastic games this year. And the BC win was ridiculous. Also note that the CU athletic site noted that there will be a "celebration" on april 17 for the team.
On the other hand, we was robbed. Especially by the Murphy-wanna-be Adam who was also the one who ruled the bounce of the skate a goal in the BC game. intention my foot.
thank you seniors
and LGR

Posted by: Rita 00 (---.uoregon.edu)
Date: April 11, 2003 03:05AM

Hi..
I started reading eLF about a month ago, and am glad their is a place for me to express my sadness.
I just finished watching the game (I had to tape it since I had a 9 am meeting that I could not skip) and am heartbroken. I went to work all decked out in Cornell Red and thinking happy thoughts about the Big RED. Since I would not get out of work until after the Minnesota- Michigan game, I decided to tape that too (didn't want the spoilers). Boy what a long day, and to see the Big Red Season end the way it did, I'm kind of bumming. I finished up at Cornell in the Fall of 1999, so I saw the seniors play in their 1st Red-White game, and did not see them again until this December at the Everblades Tournament in Florida.

I congratulate the team on a GREAT season, and admire the way they fought their way back into this game. I still want to know how the replay guy conclusively determined that Palahicky's stick went above four feet.

If anyone finds themselves in Eugene OR on Saturday, there is a wake at my place. Some of the guys on my rec hockey team are coming over to watch the finals. One of my teammates is from Michigan, so it will definitely have a somber mood. And I'm sure the weather gods here in Oregon will provide weather appropriate for the mood.

Thank you RED for a great season.
Rita Monde

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2003 03:58AM

Denison wrote:

I hope that Cornell and Ithaca will greet the ice hockey returning bus in style.

Speaking of which, does anyone know when the bus is returning? I'm spending the weekend in Ithaca (still going back to Buffalo on Saturday) and would like to be there when the team returns to the hero's welcome it deserves.

Posted by: JordanCS (---.chievres.army.mil)
Date: April 11, 2003 05:46AM

Well, I have to admit that I was extremely bummed last night, but after a while, the feeling has worn off. I am just amazed at this team, and they proved by rebounding after a bad bounce and giving up 3 goals that they are championship worthy. The 30-5-1 Big Red team in '03 will still go down as one of the best teams in CU history, even without the NCAA Title. Well, good luck to all the seniors next year, and let's hope our new Freshman class can put a dent in filling the large shoes departing.

I have a feeling we'll be very good next year (possibly ECAC title worthy...and who knows what else), but I feel that in 2 years, we have the making of another possible championship run.

Jordan

Posted by: Adam (205.217.105.---)
Date: April 11, 2003 08:48AM

This won't take long. I think the team is going to be even better next year if Lenny sticks around. Thanks for a fun season. See you in October.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 12, 2003 01:51PM

Saturday Afternoon, and I've finally gotten out of the dumps enough to get onto eLF. :-/

The one thing I can say is that compared to my last frozen four, when I was a student, this one hurts more. I think back in 1980, there was something of a sense that the ECAC was the goal and the NCAAs were a nice icing on the cake, but we really didn't have much of a hope to win it (after all, we were the 8 seed in the ECAC).

Looking forward, although we're losing some stellar players, we've got a good nucleus to build around, stellar goaltending if Lenny stays, and Schafer is doing a great job recruiting. We'll be back. If not next year, then soon thereafter.

Thanks, Red, for a great run. CU in October.

LGR!!!!

JH

Posted by: RedFan (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: April 12, 2003 02:25PM

I think we have a great shot next year.
Ryan Vesce and Matt Moulson are going to be awesome, Hynes turned it on after some injuries, the Abbotts are only going to get better, the incoming freshman look like a top 5 recruiting job, and you know the defense will be tough. If Lenny stays we have a top 5 team again.
Can't wait till October.

Posted by: Section A (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 12, 2003 03:32PM

Approximately 48 hours after the final horn now...

As many of you will have read in my posts in the CU-UNH thread on Thursday, I didn't take the loss too well, and said some things I shouldn't have. I suppose a major contributing factor to my bitterness was that I've been lucky to see such a great team the last two years. After all, I've seen them play, in person, 27 times, and they've gone 26-0-1 in those contests. I realize that many of you have experienced it all with our team, through the ups and the downs, and thus have a lot more perspective than I do.

That said, I've been thinking...I'm sure that, even though I suggested otherwise, every member of the team gave nothing but their full effort, both in preparation, and on the ice during the game. Though the loss is always going to be hard to swallow, I've also been thinking about just how amazing a season it was, and how most teams would dream to have a year like we had. Just like last year's losses to Harvard in OT and to UNH in the regionals were the driving force for our team this year, I hope that this loss will be the driving force to get them even further next year, to a championship.

One final thing - as much as I, along with everyone else here, was hurt by that loss, the lasting memories of this season won't be the "no goal" or the "shot of the mask" or any of that, but they will be the goals by both McRaes, the Paolini SICK move at center ice to score in OT, LeNeveu's record-breaking season, etc etc. There really is a lot of good to look back on and remember, and to cherish, and I do apologize for some of the things I previously said. The team has a lot to be proud of.

What a great year, what a great team. Let's hope we can be even better next year.

Posted by: SCoff (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 12, 2003 04:25PM

Yeah, I just realized the same thing. That was the first loss I've ever been to. Crazy.

Posted by: Denison (---.rte20201.de.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2003 10:46PM

Well said, Avash.

Posted by: gwm3 (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: April 12, 2003 11:01PM

Apparently a couple of the sophomores were fortunate enough to miss the Dartmouth loss at Lynah last year. Lucky guys ;-)

Morning
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2003 01:11PM

Sunday morning to be exact.

Gerry York's BC team took four trips to the Frozen Four before breaking through in Albany in 2001. We have to look at the whole year in perspective.

The Cornell hockey program is on an upswing. The feeling is great because the team is great.

To paraphrase our coach's remarks to his players:

ENJOY THIS, IT"S FUN!

:-D :-D :-D

Posted by: Dan '81 (---.es.adp.com)
Date: April 16, 2003 03:16PM

Jeff, I feel your pain. Class of 81 here. This one feels worse. Ah, but we had Lance Nethery and Brock Treadway!!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: April 16, 2003 05:46PM

There is nothing to mourn.

Post Edited (04-16-03 17:47)

In celebration!
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: April 16, 2003 05:46PM

I saw a lot of losses as a student. Here is what I have to say.

30 wins.

The most in the history of the program.

And rather than being gutted this summer, we return a substantial portion of our roster, with the most-hyped freshman class in more than a decade.

Certainly, a 2003 NCAA title would have been the capstone, but the very fact that for two years we have seriously challenged for one is almost beyond the comprehension of any fan: (25 > fan.age > 50).

Bâby, I'll take it and look forward to tomorrow! :-)

Re: In celebration!
Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2003 07:27PM

Greg and I think alike because I thought about creating a competing thread called "In Celebration" as well.

I'm almost done with my 12-step program of getting over the last loss. (Oddly enough, at least 3 of those steps involve alcohol). I'm slowly working my way through watching that game. The most difficult part of the process for me was watching the UNH introductions before the Final.

In the last couple days, that smile that got planted on my face in Albany got back on my face. What an incredible season. The fact that we can count all of our losses on one hand is absolutely unbelievable. The combination of talent, heart, character, pride, and passion that this team exhibited throughout the season is a dream come true, and I'll never forget this season.

We made the Frozen Freaking Four! Our team was on an ESPN broadcast, and got the nation really interested in learning about our program. (OK, just the college hockey nation) We were the statistical and consensus #1 team in the nation in the playoffs. These things are still sinking in. We got to watch our players break substantial records! I got soaked by beer pouring out of the Whitelaw! Ridiculous year.

And the future is bright. It was said that our first PP line was so effective because they had been together for 3+ years. Don't look now, but that's how the Hynes-Moulson-Pegoraro line will do as well. The Abbott-Abbott-Hornby became so good it was sick...they're returning. We'll be a young team. Minnesota lost a lot too last season, and look what they did. Coach Schafer has created a system that the players buy into and believe in. I'm excited.

When you reach the level we did, you'll play games against teams that will be decided on who gets the bounces. We got an awful lot this year, but not enough for the big prize. And that's OK. If we keep growing from experience, we'll put ourselves in position to try to get those bounces in the future.

Coach Schafer said two things in the NCAAs that will stick with me about this season. "I told our players that there's nothing a coach can say that will take away the pain they feel at this moment, but they can be very proud of their effort throughout the course of the season." And I think I read somewhere that he told the team in an OT intermission vs. BC about how exciting it was to have this chance. Enjoy the ride.

What a ride it was. Thanks to everyone on the coaching staff and team, and to my fellow fans. Let's do it again.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 16, 2003 07:44PM

There were 60 teams ni Division 1 college hockey this year. Only one of them finished the season with a win. It's no shame at all being the 57th of 59 to get that season ending loss.

During the final, someone in our section made the comment that we were having way too much fun considering that we had lost in the semi. And we were having a great time. Sure, it would've been great to win it all. But it was a great season with nothing to be ashamed about and the future still looks bright. Mourning was appropriate last Thursday afternoon or evening. But not much longer than that.

Post Edited (04-16-03 19:44)

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 16, 2003 07:58PM

Keith K '93 wrote:

There were 60 teams ni Division 1 college hockey this year. Only one of them finished the season with a win. It's no shame at all being the 57th of 59 to get that season ending loss.

Four teams ended their seasons with wins. Though I will grant that the season-ending wins of Dartmouth, Northern Michigan, and Minnesota-Duluth must have felt quite hollow. :-P

Post Edited (04-16-03 20:05)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2003 09:36PM

[Q]Greg said:
Certainly, a 2003 NCAA title would have been the capstone, but the very fact that for two years we have seriously challenged for one is almost beyond the comprehension of any fan: (25 > fan.age > 50).[/Q]I agree with you, although I assume you've gotten your greater/lesser backwards, for it's not beyond comprehension for me, and I'm over 50.:-D

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 17, 2003 08:21AM

I have to admit looking down from section 300, I was proud of the Cornell fans down in the corner harassing Ayers.

I would have come down and joined you, but I didn't want to piss off the friends I was with. They get FF tix every year and might have a spare one next year, too.

JH

Posted by: CUlater (---.ambacinc.com)
Date: April 17, 2003 10:18AM

There is much to celebrate about this season, and last season as well, true. But it is also appropriate to mourn, to mourn the lost opportunity, that is. As has been pointed out before, we had a legitimate shot at winning the NCAA title, and chances like that are hard to come by (unless you have home ice for the NCAA regionals!). We very easily could have lost to BC and not reached Buffalo, or lost to Harvard and not been placed in an Eastern regional. Other ECAC teams in recent memory have reached the Frozen Four, and not returned, and have seen their programs fall behind the pace, despite all the benefits that are supposed to come from a Frozen Four appearance.

Yes, we expect the future to be bright, but who knows? As has been pointed out elsewhere, after the last time we had some success, we took a step back, after McCutcheon's recruits graduated and Schafer tried to recruit guys to fit what he wanted to do. With the class of '03, Schafer got those guys and seems to have built on that success with other good classes, but ultimately, we don't know if and when we'll have this level of success again. So I think people who want to mourn, and mourn for a longish time, are certainly entitled to (as long as they've recovered by the time October rolls around!).

Season ending wins
Date: April 17, 2003 12:05PM

Damn! I remembered to check whether Northeastern, American International, UConn and Iona finished with wins (none of them made their league's playoffs) but I totally forgot about consolation games...

Re: Season ending wins
Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2003 01:15PM

Iona defeated Fairfield in Fairfield's last game in existance. I'm pretty sure Iona went on to the playoffs and lost in the first round right before they announced that they were folding as well.

EDIT: after some research,

MAAC
non-Qual.: American Int'l, UConn, and Fairfield all lost their last game
Consolation: MAAC has no consolation game

CHA
non-Qual: All teams qualify
Consolation: CHA has no consolation game

HEA
non-Qual: Northeastern lost their last game
Consolation: Hockey East has no consolation game

ECAC
Consolation: Dartmouth beat Brown, did not make NCAA

CCHA
Consolation: Northern Michigan beat OSU, did not make NCAA

WCHA
Consolation: Minnesota-Duluth beat MSU-Mankato, did not make NCAA

So it looks like Minnesota, Dartmouth, NMU, and UMD are the four teams who can "boast" last game wins.

In 1992-93, we won our last game of the season at home vs. UVM following an excutiating 11 game losing streak that dropped us to 11th place and out of the ECAC playoffs. In the ECAC tournament that year, the consolation game was won by Harvard, who went on to the NCAA tournament that year. UMass-Lowell won the Hockey East consolation as their last game. I don't know about the CCHA, WCHA, or indep. but in the east, the only 3 teams to win their last game were Cornell, Lowell, and NCAA champion Maine.

Post Edited (04-17-03 13:50)

Re: Season ending wins
Date: April 17, 2003 03:26PM

Rich, I know what your point was, but was there really any reason to remind us again of that season? :`(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login