Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

goaltending possibilities

Posted by DeltaOne81 
goaltending possibilities
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2002 12:18AM

I'm gonna go out on a bit of a limb here and say that this is the weekend that Schafer finally kills the traditional 'goalie rotation' that he's set up. He said a couple weeks ago that he would pick a goalie for the playoffs and that he already "had a pretty good idea" who it'd be. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that it's Underhill? He's the senior, it's his last shot, and although Lenny may have lightly better stats, Undy's played the better teams (Clarkson of Clarkson/SLU, Harvard (sucks) of Harvard/Brown twice, Dartmouth this past weekend).

Why this weekend? Well, given that Schaefer considers Underhill our #1, he would certainly want to pair him against Clarkson as opposed to the lowly SLU (this year at least). Why Saturday? Why bc it's Senior night of course and it's just not right to play the frosh goalie on Sr Night :-). Finally, bc if Undy's gonna be expected to do back to back starts in the playoffs, he should probably have done it once or twice recently. I wouldn't rule out LeNevue playing Friday, but I think, starting on Saturday, Underhill's our man for the rest of the way... and that's fine by me. B-]

Just my $0.02.

-Fred, DeltaOne81 '03

Re: goaltending possibilities
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 19, 2002 01:05AM

Of course, Undy did play Senior Night when Burt was a senior...

Date: February 19, 2002 02:48PM

Yeah, I realized that, but as much as I appreciated Burt's efforts, I think everyone knew that Underhill was #1 and is/was the better goalie by a long shot. I'm not saying Senior Night is the only factor, the team comes first so you do what's best for the team, and last year that was playing Underhill.

But this year, as great as LeNevue's been, Underhill's still going to get the reins when crunch time comes (aka: the playoffs), and since the switch has to start some time, I dunno, everything seems to add up on this weekend.

Not playing the better, senior goalie on senior night, against the better opponent? I dunno, just sorta seems wrong. Not that Underhill would take it badly (nor should he), he's far to good of a sport for that, but it all just leads to a gut feeling of mine.

-Fred, DeltaOne81 '03

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: February 19, 2002 03:05PM

I've been told by a reliable source that the rotation will continue through (at least) this weekend. I'm going to guess that the order will be switched up so that Underhill can start on Senior Night.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2002 03:39PM

It would be nice to have 2 10-game winning goalies in the same year, after all... When was the last time that happened?

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.digicomp.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 04:29PM

For the Big Red... that's never happened.

Date: February 19, 2002 11:17PM

Ok, damn good point, so I'm definitely routing for LeNevue to play Friday then and beat the pants off of SLU... with Underhill going the rest of the way this season and getting his 10th win Senior night... yeah, that'd be nice < drifts off to a land of lollypops and gumdrops >

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:36AM

I usually try to make a habit of not correcting people's spelling around here (especially because I then usually make an error of my own that people gleefully point out), but it's LeNeveu. It's pronounced /LEH-ne-vyoo/, so your spelling is intuitive, but not correct.

Just preparing y'all for three more years of spelling his name properly as we talk about his dominating goaltending performances. :-)

Beeeej

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 11:57AM

> Just preparing y'all for three more years of spelling his name properly as we talk about his dominating goaltending performances.

Arthur Mintz told me a great story that this reminds me of.

He was announcing a red-white game, and a freshman had a bunch of points, and Arthur was pronouncing his name as he'd been told, with emphasis on the second syllable.

After the game, the kid -- very soft spoken and shy -- skated over and told him, "it's actually pronounced "NIEU-wen-dyk, and you're going to be saying it a lot."

Date: February 20, 2002 12:00PM

I would vote for Schafer to continue the rotation all the way through the Quints. That would give David a game of post season experience and reward him for his incredible freshman season.

I agree that if Cornell gets to Lake Placid, Matt probably gets the nod for all the games thereafter.

Date: February 20, 2002 01:21PM

Actually, it SHOULD be pronounced leh-ne-VOO, but I've had to listen to Paolini mispronounced for 3 years, so... rolleyes

Date: February 20, 2002 01:26PM

Yeah, and "Anbinder" should be pronounced /ahn-BIHN-der/ instead of /AN-bine-der/, but it ain't. Far as I know, Arthur and Grady go by what the players tell the coaches.

Beeeej

Date: February 20, 2002 01:42PM

"It's spelled Sir Walter Luxury Yacht, but it's pronounced Throatwarbler Mangrove."

Posted by: gtsully (12.26.72.---)
Date: February 20, 2002 02:58PM

That's a very good point. I guess we all know that Underhill is the man for the playoffs, and even though I've been riding shotgun in the LeNeveu bandwagon since Harvard I, it'd be nice to see Underhill beat a tough team on senior night. I do think LeNeveu should start Friday night, though - if you want to end the rotation and get Underhill his back-to-back starts, do it next weekend.

Damn, I hate that I'm missing senior night.

Posted by: The Radio Guy (---.clarityconnect.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 04:46PM

I hope it's not inferred that I'm mispronouncing Paolini's name as his father has told me that I'm one of the few that gets it right. As far as David's name, I haven't heard it that way (Leh-ne-VOO) at all from coaches, teammates, or the freshman phenom himself (unless he's holding out on me!). More along the lines of Leh-ne-VIEW which is in line with the actual spelling (LeneVEU). But if David corrects me, I'll gladly change my call on the air. After all, who would argue with the nation's GAA leader???

Arthur taught me a very easy but valuable lesson in my first or second year of broadcasting the games. When in doubt on the proper way to say someone's name, go to them and have them tell you how it's pronounced. That ploy backfired atleast once when Eddy Skazyk was asked that very question and said "however you guys want to say it." Phonetic spellings can be confusing at times, but straight from the horses mouth rarely steers you wrong.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 04:55PM

Well, I suppose if former Pats QB Mike Taliaferro could pronounce his name "Tolliver," most anything goes.

Date: February 20, 2002 05:02PM

My favorite is "Rich Meager" pronounced "Ma-HAR."

Of course, "Tony Hrkac" pronounced" "HER-cus" isn't bad, either.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 05:04PM

LeNeveu -- he may be from Canada, but BC is pretty far from Quebec (or other French speaking parts of Canada like that little town up in the Cape Breton Highlands -- Cheticamp, was it?). Sure looks like it should be pronounced French-like, though.

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 05:04PM

I have to say I've been with your pronunciation since the get-go (Leh-ne-VIEW ). . .but if that doesn't catch on we could always just go with Lenny! Worked for Unddy. . .;-)

Posted by: gwm3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 05:33PM

While we're at it, what's with pronouncing the K in Knoepfli? I don't remember anyone ever saying Kyle K-Nopp.

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 06:06PM

Personal preferance??? Now that we're on to Knoepfli. . .we should nickname him "Special K." I mean it makes sense, most people don't know if you are supposed to pronounce the K or not. Hence the nickname "Special K.":-D

Date: February 20, 2002 07:00PM

Wow, I leave this thread alone for not even one day and it changed into a talk on nicknames... very impressive swing :-) , not that I mind, and I'm particularly honored by the post from "Mr. Radio Guy" himself. If Underhill or LeNeveu (see, got it now :-P ) were to post, I think I could consider my life complete (j/k).

Speaking of odd pronounciations, I'm always be partial to the 'Frenchy' names, such as Roy or Parent (can't even begin to phoenetically spell them - Wah, Paraaaw?). True, it's just their language, but there's gotta be something a little odd about ignoring the given sounds of the letters in the last half of any word, IMHO.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 07:03PM

Rick and brother Terry(?) Meagher. (Maybe that's how you get the "Har.";)

Date: February 20, 2002 07:12PM

> Meagher

OK, their 'h' makes it a little less silly.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:39PM

Actually, it's Rick...either he or his brother Terry spent some time at Clarkson coaching with Cap Raeder I think...but I can't recall which "Ma-HAR" it was.

Posted by: Rico (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 01:15AM

It's K-nop-fe-li! Like Monopoly!

So.. what is the correct way to say Paolini's name (since I am assuming that PAY-oh-Lee-nee is wrong?). Pow-lee-nee? I dunno.

Reek-o

Knoepfli
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 21, 2002 01:30AM

Well, it's struck me as an incredibly Swiss-looking name (moreso if you change the oe to an ö) and in German you certainly pronounce the K. Actually, I find it interesting that the English approximation Ka-nop-fel-i has four syllables, while the German Knöp-fli has only two. Of course, if you really spell it with an oe in Swiss German, you'd get the three-sylable Kno-ep-fli. But my impression is that the diminutive 'li' is associated with an umlaut, so Knöpfli has to be the original Swiss name. (Literally, it means "little button", since "ein Knopf" means a knob or button; the standard German version would be Knöpfchen.)

Now for homework everyone practice saying "chüechichäschli".

-- Der Schweizermacher
«Aufs, jetzt, Knöpfli, schiess ein Tor ... schiess ein Tor ... schiess ein To-o-or!»

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 01:35AM

Rico wrote:

It's K-nop-fe-li! Like Monopoly!
Dude, you so stole that from Rich. :-P

Date: February 21, 2002 09:15AM

Guess I should clear up my post before I get tarred and feathered. I'm certainly not criticizing your pronunciation, as you do it the way the players and pronunciation guide say to, as you should. But as for Paolini, I could swear I remembered Sam, Sr. pronouncing it pah-o-LI-ni when Sam was a freshman. And regardless of who pronounces it what, that is the correct Italian way of pronouncing it. Ditto for David. I'm not contesting that he pronounces it LE-neh-VUE, but that name, in particular seems odd. Because if it was spelled LeNevue, it would at least sort of make sense, but since it's eu, it should be pronounced le-ne-vuhh, or well, like [www.jump-gate.com] . Anyway, I'll stop now.

Date: February 21, 2002 10:34AM

At the risk of a little self-aggrandizing, I thought folks might enjoy this (it's in context, I promise):

October 25, 2000

The Top 6 Excuses Given by Patrick Roy for Ripping Two Doors Off Their Hinges and Threatening His Wife

6> "Her foot was in the crease!"

5> Heard her chanting "Eddie, Eddie!" in her sleep.

4> Overabundance of pent-up energy due to recent lack of body-checking in the bedroom, if you know what I mean.

3> "Just trying to kick-save a dinner roll into the dust bin."

2> "That rotating red light she put on our headboard would drive anyone nuts."

and Topfive.com's Number 1 Excuse Given by Patrick Roy for Ripping Two Doors Off Their Hinges and Threatening His Wife...

1> "She can't pronounce my @#$ing name!!"

[ Copyright 2000 by Chris White ]

==================================================================
Selected from 22 submissions from 14 contributors.
Today's Top 5 List authors are:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey Anbinder, New York, NY -- 1 (3rd #1)
Bill Muse, Seattle, WA -- 2, 6
David G. Scott, Kansas City, MO -- 3
Tisha Stacey, Romeoville, IL -- 4
Paul Paternoster, Los Altos, CA -- 5
Dave Wesley, Pleasant Hill, CA -- 6, Runner Up list name
Joe DiPietro, Brooklyn, NY -- 6
Tristan Fabriani, Passaic, NJ -- Topic
Chris White, Irvine, CA -- List owner/editor

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2002 01:39PM

Well, I'm sure this isn't the way we would've liked it to happen for the first time, but it really does bear mentioning:

For the first time in its history, the Big Red has two 10-game winning goalies in a season.

Beeeej

Posted by: zg88 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2002 05:45PM

First of all... how the hell did you figger that one out?!?! (Where is there a good source of info. about Cornell goalie stats throughout history? (with rankings, etc.)) (I *really* need to get a newer media guide -- the rankings section of my '83 version is becoming painfully obsolete!!!)

(EDIT: OK, I think I've solved that one... I finally did something that I shoulda done *long* ago -- I downloaded the "Cornell Records" section of the current media guide from the C.U. athletics site. Ahhhhhh! Yummy!)

Second, I was wondering about that -- thanks! I was hoping that Lenny would get his #10! (Through a *planned* start, though -- not *this* way...) Good for him!!

Third, how many Cornell freshman goalies have had 10 wins before?

(EDIT: Ummm... nevermind... I think I can answer that one myself now... (unless someone wants to do the work for me... heh-heh...))

Yep... in geek mode, again... (it means I'm starving... gotta go eat...) nut

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 12:25AM

Actually, I was just taking Bill's word for it that no Cornell tandem ever had a double 10-win season before. He did all the legwork, I just followed up after Lenny's tenth.

Beeeej

Posted by: gwm3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2002 12:38AM

And Lenny finishes the season #1 in the nation in GAA and #4 in save percentage. :-D

#1 in the nation
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 02:05AM

...except the season lasts another 5 weeks as far as the NCAA is concerned. But a nice achievement even with my nitpicking!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login