Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

To Those Going to Buffalo

Posted by melissa 
To Those Going to Buffalo
Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 02:44PM

Hey all.

Just wanted to encourage people to make signs of all sizes, shapes, colors and materials to help give our team the home ice advantage. Going into the biggest hockey week-end that the faithful can experience I am hoping that we can really take over the rink as our own ... not only by being a visible and vocal sea of red but by posting words of encouragement for the guys and hopefully intimidating the hell out of competition. Here's to showing everyone watching the games on ESPN and ESPN2 what college hockey fans can and should be like!

Ohh ... my signs.

In response to that stupid cornell canada USCHO thread .... a 2meter long sign with "Cornell Univ .... Proud Sponsor of Canadian Hockey" ... bite me criticizing midwest fans.

and

Got Red?

Goaltending
Offense

Busloads of fans
Inensity
Grit

Respect
Endurance
Defense

Post Edited (04-06-03 14:44)

Re: To Those Going to Buffalo
Posted by: judy (---.washdc3.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: April 06, 2003 02:53PM

I'll be bringing along a little motivation for the boys due to my great fear they may be rusty after 2 weeks (big game or not!) uhoh
I'm also taking suggestions for wording improvements since I won't be making this til Wed. nite. and a lot of you out there are probably better with words than I am.

To Do List
Cornell 2002-03
[x] Ivy Champs
[x] ECAC Champs
[ ] NCAA Champs
LET'S GO RED!!!

and now to go pick up the materials....

Posted by: KateThe15Fan (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 06, 2003 03:17PM

I'm thinking anything involving ESPN/ESPN2 is sure to get on TV. Been rolling things around in my head for a while now... haven't come up with any definites. But someone should definitely do a ESPN2 sign using "2 more wins" as the last one.

Here are some of my uncompleted ideas to ponder :-)

L *E * Neveu
McRae*S*
*P*aolini
-insert something good here for the N-

ECAC Champs
S?
Providence
Now Buffalo

I'm sure all of you will come up with ones much better

Post Edited (04-06-03 17:01)

Posted by: cquinn (---.bur.adelphia.net)
Date: April 06, 2003 03:49PM

FOR LOVE OF... THE GAME
               THE FANS
         THE FRIENDSHIP
          THE EDUCATION

CORNELL UNIVERSITY
A non-scholarship organization.

With the ESPN on the end in a different color.
Maybe too much for reasonably sized sign. And anybody who can come up with a better word that ends in P, be my guest.

Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 04:10PM

ohhh. i like it, Chris!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 04:56PM

KateThe15Fan wrote:
L *E * eNeveau
I'd just like to encourage everyone who makes signs to check their spelling, please. :-P

Date: April 06, 2003 04:58PM

And how I managed that one I have no idea. My apologies

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 05:02PM

Do it Chris!

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 05:07PM

as resident signman, i have a few good ones

Early
Sendoff,
Poor
New Hampshire

and my personal favorite

CU leaves
em UNHappy

if we had shitloads of UNHappy signs that'd be funny

what about SAT in big letters?

University of
No
cHampionships

this one is regarding the mascots. of course, we do kinda have a bear

CU Big Red
Everyone else is just animals

i got a few more ideas for minni, but i'm still working on those

and, of course, a huge THIS IS OUR HOUSE wouldn't hurt

-mike 04

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 05:14PM

Mike wrote:
University of
No
cHampionships
University of
No
Hardware

works well too.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 05:32PM

Mike wrote:

University of
No
cHampionships

It's common to see on USCHO that UNH = University of No Hardware. As I'm sure someone will have already pointed out by the time I finish writing this post.

[Q]
CU Big Red
Everyone else is just animals
[/Q]

I like that, and I'll also cast my vote for Christine's wonderfully worded idea. Judy could add "Beat Harvard" with 3 checkmarks next to it in her to do list.

I had an idea that was too late for the regionals. Since there is 1 team from each of the 4 major conferences, have a list of the conferences, and cross off each one as they get eliminated. Perhaps a sign that reads "ECAC" with the first C being red and bolded. I'm just in favor of fighting the EZAC joke whenever possible.

Any sign that references Bob Peters's 1958 GAA of 1.27 is good. Since that will be the last weekend the record will officially stand. :-D

Any sign that reminds the locals that we're an upstate NY school would be good before they go off and start cheering for some Big-10 school they've seen play other sports on the TV.

In '96-'97, "Thank You Schafer" chants were very common. A "Thank You Schafer, Russell, Brekke, and Teeter" sign might be good to show some gratitude for the places they've taken us. I've seen the "Thank You Seniors" sign at each of the last 2 venues.

A "Lynah Faithful" sign would be good to educate people about the CU Fans' history and dedication.

I've always thought the "Hail, All Hail" line of the Alma Mater would make a good sign in a high-profile event.

Just suggestions...

Posted by: yougoon (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 06:11PM

[Q]Author: Christine Quinn '94
Date: 04-06-03 15:49

FOR LOVE OF... THE GAME THE FANS THE FRIENDSHIP THE EDUCATION CORNELL UNIVERSITYA non-scholarship organization.
[/Q] Watch out, Cornell does have scholarships, just not athletic ones.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: April 06, 2003 06:52PM

G-ddamit, for the millionth time, Cornell does not have any freakin' scholarships, at least in the traditional sense. If somebody qualifies for financial aid, then part of their grant may literally have the word "scholarship" in it, but this sum merely replaces funds that would otherwise carry the nondescript label "Cornell Grant." I'm so sick of people screwing this up.

In response to a related issue brought up somewhere, the amount of loans/grants/work study does not vary based on an individual student's talents (ie. athletic ability, music performance, etc.) but solely on their financial aid application. However, some of their grant may be specified for an athlete (or musician), even for one from a specific sport, but if every athlete came from a millionaire family, these funds would go unused.

Interestingly, Canadian hockey players (and Canadians in general) at Cornell are more likely to qualify for generous amounts of need-based aid because of the Canadian exchange rate. That's certainly a generalization with many exceptions, but there's some truth to it.

Posted by: Robb Newman (---.169.140.52.ts46v-08.otn-c2.ftwrth.tx.charter.c)
Date: April 06, 2003 06:55PM

Depends on your definition of "scholarship." Most people assume that means free money that the University bestows upon you (in the form of free classes) as a reward for your merit - whether academic, artistic, athletic, or whatever. Cornell does not give out those kind of scholarships, though plenty of outside organizations (Microsoft, Kodak, etc) give out cash to students to spend on a Cornell education.

For you FORTRAN types:
Financial_aid .NE. scholarship

C:
Financial_aid != scholarship

MATLAB:
Financial_aid ~= scholarship

Surely there is some language out there where:
Financial_aid <> scholarship

What did you mean, yougoon?

Posted by: paulspen (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 06:57PM

No Athletic Scholarships; Just Athletic Scholars

Date: April 06, 2003 07:00PM

True, but in fundraising speak, "scholarships" are awarded; they're just based primarily on financial need and not merit, although some students receive named scholarships based on their major, etc.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 07:04PM

Whoa Lowell. I think, like Robb, the idea was to be true in the sense that most people would interpret the phrase. What we mean is no athletic scholarships, so we should probably say that, lest someone start an argument about what we mean by aid.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: April 06, 2003 07:21PM

Yeah, you're right, I didn't mean to open up a can of whoop-ass on anybody. Sorry 'bout that. Ever since that annoying Colgate thread with those idiotic "I was offered a full ride to Cornell but turned it down! Suck it!" posts, I get all riled up about it.

Posted by: cquinn (---.bur.adelphia.net)
Date: April 06, 2003 08:01PM

I was just trying to think of something shorter than, "We don't have to pay our players to come here." :-)

Posted by: Mike B '03 (---.cheme.cornell.edu)
Date: April 06, 2003 09:51PM

Yeah, Excel would be

Financial_aid <> scholarship

nut

Posted by: Mike B '03 (---.cheme.cornell.edu)
Date: April 06, 2003 09:53PM

How about a sign with something along the lines of

Bringing Lynah to you

-or-

Bringing Lynah to Buffalo

???

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 10:12PM

How about a sign that has a map of I-90 on it (including a traced map of New York and Mass) the appropriate end reads:
Bright Arena, Boston MA, aka Lynah East - *Check* 1-0-0
the middle in the appropriate place on the map Lynah Rink, Ithaca NY - *Check*15-0-0
and the other end reads HSBC Aerna, Buffalo NY, aka Lynah West - *a box for UHN and a box for a National Championship*

just an idea. . .:-}

(could even interchange Albany, NY with Boston, MA and just havbe it be a map of New York State)

Date: April 06, 2003 10:30PM

Indeed! And on the way to/from Providence every time we saw one of the big green I-90 signs that said Albany above Buffalo on it, we were dying to get a camera and doctor it to say Albany, Providence, Buffalo and then blow it up to make a sign. Not too hard to do it the "old fashioned" way with a green marker I guess :)

Posted by: gtsully (12.45.229.---)
Date: April 07, 2003 09:32AM

Even a simple "LYNAH WEST" sign would do the trick there :-D

Date: April 07, 2003 09:58AM

How about one that lists all of our playoff victims, with the losers crossed out?

RPI
Brown
Harvard
Mankato
BC
UHN

This would work much better if we make the finals, but I still like it.

Is it Thursday yet?

Let's Go Red!!!

Date: April 07, 2003 10:15AM

[Q] Author: Lowell Frank '99, '03
Date: 04-06-03 18:52

G-ddamit, for the millionth time, Cornell does not have any freakin' scholarships[/Q] I think the alumni who established $170 million in scholarships during the recent Cornell Scholarship Campaign would beg to differ with you. They are need-based, but they are still scholarships with criteria for selection - and Cornell refers to them as scholarships. We're just talking about a sign and I wanted to point out that a rabid UNH fan might mock us for claiming no scholarships.

Date: April 07, 2003 10:19AM

[Q] Author: PaulsPen
Date: 04-06-03 18:57

No Athletic Scholarships; Just Athletic Scholars[/Q] and this is the best sign idea of all!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 07, 2003 10:33AM

Sully '00 wrote:

How about one that lists all of our playoff victims, with the losers crossed out?

RPI
Brown
Harvard
Mankato
BC
UHN
If we're going to spell UNH UHN, shouldn't we also spell RPI RIP and Harvard Hahvahd?

Post Edited (04-07-03 10:33)

Date: April 07, 2003 10:36AM

[Q] If we're going to spell UNH UHN, shouldn't we also spell RPI RIP and Harvard Hahvahd? [/Q]

Oops. Sorry, it's just instinct for me to write UHN at this point. We should probably just spell them all correctly. Except for Hahvahd. That's classic.

Posted by: arik marks '91 (155.44.2.---)
Date: April 07, 2003 11:43AM

[Q] I've always thought the "Hail, All Hail" line...[/Q]

I'd nix the Hail, all Hail - it's a bit close to Michigan's Hail to the Victors fight song lyrics- might get confusing....

Arik

Posted by: Bloomie (132.236.164.---)
Date: April 07, 2003 12:18PM

How about a sign for BuffaLYNAH?

Can anybody draw a buffalo wearing a Big Red jersey???!

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: April 07, 2003 12:41PM

yougoon wrote:

[Q] Author: Lowell Frank '99, '03
Date: 04-06-03 18:52

G-ddamit, for the millionth time, Cornell does not have any freakin' scholarships[/Q] I wanted to point out that a rabid UNH fan might mock us for claiming no scholarships.
That would only prove that the UHN fan is a literalist moron. Every school has scholarships of some kind, whether need-based or for particular skills (and whether they are called scholarships, grants-in-aid or any other term). The "no scholarship" claim is easily understood, and I can't believe it was even a subject of serious debate here.

Post Edited (04-07-03 12:41)

Posted by: Melissa'01 (---.ip.reallyfastnet.com)
Date: April 07, 2003 01:15PM

All these UNH ideas got me thinking ....

for our fav second best goalie .... (and no, that isn't Gartman:D)

Pssst AyerS
Hey MIkey
GreasE up
Your fiVe hole
We're gonna PenEtrate

With sieve highlighted.

Posted by: Melissa'01 (---.ip.reallyfastnet.com)
Date: April 07, 2003 01:16PM

and aligned ... forgive my apparent lack of being able to format.

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2003 10:00PM

got a few more

a political one:
Where has E$PN been all season?

and a diff kind of espn sign
Early
Sendoff
Poor
New hampshire

in the event of a michigan game:
Even Michigan Deans Support CU

in the event of a minny game:
Gophers, Fetch
CU's Championship

i still like "UNHappy" or "Can't Spell UNHappy without UNH"

i really liked the check-off to do list someone mentioned, and "No Athletic Scholarships, Just Athletic Scholars" were excellent. i liked lynah west alot...reminds me of my Lynah Middle East sign that i made for albany, and someone said it was the most tasteless sign they had ever seen :)

-mike 04

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.stanford.edu)
Date: April 09, 2003 05:03PM

Quinn:

ChampionshiP for P :-D

Hope it is not too late....

Posted by: Rick (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2003 05:06PM

What about:

Every
Schafer
Player
Needs
2 More Wins

Posted by: Tim T (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 09, 2003 05:22PM

You could use the Buffalo Sabres buffalo from their jersey emblem, and put a cornell jersey on him...
might even make the buffalo fans root for us!

Date: April 09, 2003 06:10PM

As a former admission officer at Cornell and a fundraiser at two Ivy schools and now at Stanford, I must say that there is a distinct difference between need-based financial aid and the "traditional" scholarships.

No scholarships at Cornell. Not in the sense how Stanford, Duke, Michigan, and those HE schools award their Athletic Scholarships. Cornell (and the other Ivy schools) do not give out academic scholarships, either. As has been pointed out, the financial aid one receives is based on "demonstrated need." The kind of money you don't have to pay back (GRANT) may carry a name (e.g. Tom Tseng Scholarship, if I have donated) or simply stated as Cornell grant, but all the $$ are invested in the same pooled endowment (most likely, since we do that at Stanford).

Date: April 09, 2003 06:11PM

Clever... laugh

Posted by: Tub(a) (132.236.216.---)
Date: April 09, 2003 06:53PM

[q]The kind of money you don't have to pay back (GRANT) [/q]

Hey! Don't drag me into this conversation! nut

Date: April 09, 2003 07:33PM

What you are essentially demonstrating is the difference between need-based and merit-based scholarships. Cornell awards need-based scholarships. It is all, of course, semantics, but the generous folks who ante up for them can call them whatever they want, and scholarship is the term of choice.

Either way, my sign stands: No Athletic Scholarships; Just Athletic Scholars.

Since I can't be there, someone should get it on TV. :)

Post Edited (04-09-03 19:34)

Posted by: atb9 (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2003 09:19PM

[Q]Either way, my sign stands: No Athletic Scholarships; Just Athletic Scholars.

Since I can't be there, someone should get it on TV. [/Q]

Done :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login