Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

SECTION A FAITHFUL NEED HELP

Posted by JNG, NP 
SECTION A FAITHFUL NEED HELP
Posted by: JNG, NP (---.clarityconnect.com)
Date: April 05, 2003 10:23PM

Sorry for the post on this forum, but...

Me and my other SECTION A FAITHFUL buddies are looking into buying some tickets to the Cornell/UNH game on Thursday ONLY. We are in a fraternity and have a commitment on Saturday, thus we are only looking for the Thursday game.

Our group includes Freddy, the guy who brings the brooms to series at Lynah, Greg and Adam who are quite loud, and myself, the guy who started the Matt Hanson's (UVM's safety seive) phone number chant and the guy in the luxury box in Albany who told Sam Paolini's dad after regulation during the Cornell/Harvard game that I wanted Sammy to score the winning goal in overtime. :-)

Anyway we are constantly outbid on eBay at the last minute and are running out of options. Some jerk at UNH at the last minute decided to sell his tickets to another UNH student instead of me. If there are any alumni or students out there that have a four seat (or three even) block for Thursday's game and is willing to sell them please let me know as soon as possible. I can be reached at (607) 351-1446 or you can email me at jng6@cornell.edu

Thanks a bunch.

-Josh

Re: SECTION A FAITHFUL NEED HELP
Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2003 10:28PM

josh,

sorry to hear you can't get tickets. unfortunately, i do not have any spares, but i hope that a generous alum or student might be able to send some tickets your way.

being a section a faithful myself (the sign/gimme an a-man), are you those guys in the front few rows of the section that show up during practice before all the games to tease the other teams?

-mike 04

Date: April 05, 2003 10:36PM

Yes, Mike, that is us.

We heckle them everytime they come out of the locker room early. You know we are getting to them when they start shooting pucks at us.

Ryan Shields (RPI #24) remains the worst hockey player in the ECAC!

Anyway, it's nice to see a fellow Section A Faithful looking out for his own brethren. I hope to meet you in Buffalo!

-Josh

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: April 05, 2003 10:55PM

> have a commitment on Saturday

Kids today...

Saturday commitments
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2003 11:19PM

KDR had an alumni event Saturday, November 18, 1995. Many of the Faithful, due to that commitment, missed the end of the ten-year regular season losing streak against Harvard. Ask them what they would do if they had the choice to make over again.

In that light, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING!?!? If the Red win on Thursday, they will be playing for the National Championship Saturday. Do you think that sort of thing is going to happen every year? For G-d's sake, tell your fraternity bosses that you may have to miss your function for a chance to witness Cornell hockey history in the making.

Re: Saturday commitments
Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: April 05, 2003 11:43PM

Seriously, rework your schedule. It's been 23 years since Cornell's been to the Frozen Four. Were you even conceived back then (Josh, not John or Greg)?

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2003 11:43PM

maybe if someone could help josh and his friends out with a ticket package, it would help to pursuade him to go to the whole thing

-mike 04

Date: April 06, 2003 12:19AM

Please don't question whether or not I am a "true" fan of Cornell hockey. That was not the intent of my post. If I had my way, I would skip my fraternity event if that meant that Cornell was going for the championship. Unfortunately I hold an intregal part in this commitment, and this was something that was scheduled last year.

Similarly, if people are willing to sell me their tickets to Thursday's game, I would assume that they have some sort of work conflict that forces them to miss the game (seeing how it is a 12:00 game in the middle of the working week). I'm not telling you guys to miss work to see Cornell play for the championship, that is absurd. A commitment is a commitment.

You also have to realize that tickets to these games aren't cheap... I've spent over 200 dollars on tickets already this year, and another 120 is hard to come by. I would also like to see the Michigan/Minnesota game, but on my budget I can't afford to pay 40 for it. I work 8 hours a week at $8/hour, that doesn't give me a whole lot of expendable income. Hence, the only way for me and my friends to see any Frozen Four hockey is to get tickets only to this game.

So please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Date: April 06, 2003 12:27AM

We're not questioning your loyalties, just trying to spare you a lifetime of regret. ;-)

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 01:47AM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

KDR had an alumni event Saturday, November 18, 1995.

It was November 11, 1995. I don't even have to look that up to know the date...that's how important it was to me. Late that night, while I was at a party wearing a free t-shirt stinking of a stank that consisted of a mix between fish, zamboni exhaust, and beer, members of that afformentioned fraternity asked me all about what it was like to climb over the glass and jump on the pile of players FOR A REGULAR SEASON GAME IN NOVEMBER, while telling me that they were sneaking away from their all-important event to go into the bathroom and listen to the game on the radio. It was, and still remains the single most memorable night of my undergraduate life.

I'm not one to question one's priorities, first because I don't know any of the whole story, and I'm not one to judge people, but damn...if I was an undergraduate now...damn.

Date: April 06, 2003 08:52AM

Rich Hovorka '96 wrote:

KDR had an alumni event Saturday, November 18, 1995.

It was November 11, 1995.
Of course. November 18 I was at Franklin Field watching the football team get creamed by Penn, and cheering on reports of the tie between Princeton and Dartmouth that kept us all out of a four-way tie for the Ivy League title. That's what I get from trying to remember it rather than looking it up.

Posted by: yeah (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 12:05PM

[q]Unfortunately I hold an intregal part in this commitment, and this was something that was scheduled last year. [/q]

He's the "broom guy" and also the "ball shaver guy" nut

Posted by: atb9 (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 01:16PM

Give me an I!
Give me an N
Give me an I
Give me a T!
Give me an I!
Give me an A!
Give me a T!
Give me an I!
Give me an O!
Give me an N!

What does that spell?

:-)

There's no secret with the deadline approaching...

Gain some persuasive powers and get it moved to Sunday!

Post Edited (04-06-03 13:16)

Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: April 06, 2003 01:50PM

SIEVE???:-D

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: April 06, 2003 03:21PM

KDR had an alumni event Saturday, November [11], 1995. Many of the Faithful, due to that commitment, missed the end of the ten-year regular season losing streak against Harvard. Ask them what they would do if they had the choice to make over again.

It's worth mentioning as a KDR alum that, if the event had been planned even half as well as it should have been, I would probably not regret my decision. Cornell's was the oldest still-active chapter of KDR, and we were celebrating the fraternity's 90th anniversary, so it was a big deal, and inviting all the other chapters to attend and then not showing up ourselves (actives and local alums) would have been crass at best.

Without going too much into private matters, it simply ended up that almost nobody but us was there. But it still wasn't attending that I regret - it was attending without having asked at a late enough date who else was actually coming.

I swore on November 12, 1995 that, if I had any say in the matter, I would never miss another Cornell/Harvard men's hockey game again. Aside from one little weather glitch that I had to overcome with a flight from DC to Syracuse, a rental car, and a Doppler shift on I-81, it's been smooth sailing.

Who's to say if, without that anniversary event, I would really have understood how much Cornell hockey (and especially the Harvard game) really means to me? Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

Beeeej

Post Edited (04-06-03 15:24)

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 03:40PM

[Q]Who's to say if, without that anniversary event, I would really have understood how much Cornell hockey (and especially the Harvard game) really means to me? Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.[/Q]

I like this post Beeeej. We all arrive on different roads.

Posted by: CrazyLarry (---.tnt30.phl6.da.uu.net)
Date: April 06, 2003 04:52PM

I was at that event with a radio in my suit jacket pocket and an unusually small bladder that evening. Have to say, I'd do it differently if I could have it over. Of course, moving a saturday event at this point could be considered woofing, and I wouldn't want to encourage that sort of thing...

Posted by: David Harding 72 (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 06:17PM

[q]Without going too much into private matters, ...[/q]
I'm surprized at the decision to hold the event that weekend, though as a national affair there may not have been as much local control as one would hope. I'm another KDR, though from an earlier era. In my day. we had enough season tickets and pep band members to control the house schedule for the regular season. Tournaments, on the other hand, are hard to plan for.

Posted by: Winnabago (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 06:46PM

www.prideonice.com has been showing a lot of minnesota fans looking to unload semifinal tickets recently, assuming for the moment that you can only make thursday, theoretically...

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 07:08PM

[Q]http://www.prideonice.com has been showing a lot of minnesota fans looking to unload semifinal tickets[/Q]Which, of course means we are probably going to be able to move around, and hopefully all be together.:-)

Date: April 06, 2003 09:07PM

I'm pretty knowledgable being the self proclaimed defender of fraternities and fraternity members... :-)

The real problem stems from the deadline recently put upon fraternities to initiate their members by April 14. If the deadline was the 21st, there wouldn't be any problems since most fraternities would initiate that weekend. Then again, if the tournament was the 17th and the 19th, there wouldn't be any problems either! Of course some fraternities have already done initiation...but the majority of fraternities are trying to get the most out of the time allowed.

Date: April 06, 2003 10:57PM

David Harding 72 wrote:

I'm surprized at the decision to hold the event that weekend, though as a national affair there may not have been as much local control as one would hope. I'm another KDR, though from an earlier era. In my day. we had enough season tickets and pep band members to control the house schedule for the regular season. Tournaments, on the other hand, are hard to plan for.

Oh, there were a ton of pep bandies and season ticket holders in the house at the time. It was more a matter of poor planning - someone picking a random weekend in the fall without stopping to think too much about what else might be going on besides marching band roadtrips - than it was a disregard for hockey needs.

Beeeej

Posted by: Brian Carle (---.rasserver.net)
Date: April 07, 2003 03:28AM

If it turns out that you have to buy some tickets for all 3 games, I'd be interested in taking 2 Saturday tickets off your hands. Please email me if you're interested and I could meet you (with cash) Thursday afternoon in Buffalo.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: April 07, 2003 06:30AM

Ryan Shields (RPI #24) remains the worst hockey player in the ECAC!
For that uncalled-for remark, I hope that you don't get the tickets.

Date: April 07, 2003 10:06AM

Well I am glad this post turned into a discussion on the poor administration at KDR...

Luckily for me, I was able to find tickets to the game, and at a reasonable price (the only real winner in this situation was FedEx). Thanks to all who sent me emails and tried to help me out.

CU IN BUFFALO!

Posted by: jd212 (---.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: April 07, 2003 10:06AM

It shows a lot of class when people who commit to something actually go through with that commitment. In an event like this, you would be letting a lot of people down to whom you made a lot of vows. People who have never been in fraternities will never understand the commitment involved. Sometimes hockey isn't the most important thing in the world, guys, sorry. Personally, as much as I love hockey, my fraternity memories are forever more indelible than any I have from hockey. Kudos to Beeeej for living up to his pledge. JTW, if Cornell had not made it to the Frozen Four, can you say you wouldn't have regretted not attending any playoff/tournament games this year?

Date: April 07, 2003 02:40PM

I dunno, Jason, I think you might be missing my broad point in favor of your own narrower one. I'm trying to express that it's an individual decision, one that's not always easy to make - I'm definitely not saying that fraternity always comes first. In fact 11/11/95 helped cement in my mind that fraternity was already becoming secondary to other considerations in my life.

Sure, I've made great friends from KDR. But believe me, if someone schedules the hundredth anniversary celebration for the night of the Cornell/Harvard game in 2005, I'm going to the game without losing a second of sleep over it.

Beeeej

Posted by: anon (---.kirkland.com)
Date: April 08, 2003 03:16PM

I can't believe this board is dominated by a bunch of KDRs.

Date: April 08, 2003 05:29PM

What would you expect? Their house is passionate about Hockey for a reason. Suck it up and get friends to post if it's such a problem. And it wouldn't hurt to gain some balls and post unanonymously.

Post Edited (04-08-03 17:29)

Date: April 09, 2003 01:48AM

Well said, Adam.

What can I say? We've got spirit. Yes, we do.

Beeeej

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login