Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Border hopping

Posted by DeltaOne81 
Border hopping
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 04, 2003 08:59PM

So, having never been to Buffalo or the area, I wanted to see Niagara Falls and maybe cross over into Ontario (for the 19 yo drinking age for some friends). I was wondering about the regulations at the border. I know when I went to Montreal / Quebec a few years ago, a photo ID was enough to get my family through and back, but with current world situations and increased security, I'm wondering if anyone knows what current procedures are? And what I'd need to make sure I don't get stuck in Canada help .

Though, worst case, I suppose I could sell my story to make one of those cheesy TV movies with a strange name like "Trapped in a Foreign Land" or something. :-D

Re: Border hopping
Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.c)
Date: April 04, 2003 09:07PM

I was up in Canada at this border a few months ago and it was recommended to have a passport with you. I did not need it on either end but it does seem like that is a good idea nowadays, just to be careful. The canadians don't seem to care but the Americans are supposed to be more anal about it.

-John

Posted by: dsr11 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 04, 2003 11:00PM

Last time I was there, you didn't need a passport, but you did need a birth certificate showing that you're born in the US or a green card or something showing that you're a US citizen. But as John said, better safe than sorry.

Dan

Posted by: Mike Weingarten (---.resnet.buffalo.edu)
Date: April 04, 2003 11:15PM

Having lived in Buffalo my whole life (except for those 4 years at Cornell), I'm schooled in our next door neighbor border crossing to Canada.
Since 9/11, traveling from the USA to Canada hasn't really changed much. Here's what the Canadian border agents will do: They'll ask you your citizenship and every member in the car's citizenship. They'll ask you where you're going and for how long. But other than that, they'll be pretty lax.
Coming back into the USA is a quite a bit different (always has been, but moreso now since 9/11.) Be on your BEST BEST BEST behavior when the US agent asks questions. They are very suspicious of seemingly everybody these days. They'll also ask for you and your carmates' citizenships but it's a high likelyhood they'll also ask for ID. Obviously, a US passport is the best proof, but a photo drivers license with a copy of your birth certificate is probably second best. Third best would be just your drivers license but it doesn't technically prove you're a US citizen for some weird reason. A license is likely all you'll need but I've had really picky agents sometimes go ape when I didn't have more proof. Why take a risk getting stuck in Canada and having to call home to get a copy of your birth certificate faxed? Take the best proof you've got.
Another thing the US agents will very likely do is check your trunk. They'll check under the spare tire and the trunk compartments. Do yourself a favor and make sure you don't "forget" about that illegal substance you may have back there but don't remember you had before you left Ithaca. I've had US agents get pretty picky with me about where I'm going, where I go to school, and if it's a weekday they always ask "so why aren't you at college right now?" Just answer them straight out, they don't take sarcasm lightly.
But overall, you shouldn't have a problem, I'm making it sound tougher than it is. By the way, drinking age in Quebec is 18, drinking age in Ontario is 19.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2003 08:35AM

My understanding from living in Brownsville and crossing into Mexico is that US citizens don't need proof of citizenship, which seemed sort of illogical. If you have a passport, the simplest and surest thing is just to bring that, of course.

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2003 10:07AM

now what about walking over the border as opposed to driving? plenty of places to drink and things to do at the falls - last time i was there i parked on the US side and walked over.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2003 11:10AM

Anyone who is a passenger rather than driver and potentially without a driver's license, should bring a picture ID or birth certificate. I don't think a college ID would do it, but really don't know what type of ID they like to see.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 05, 2003 11:43AM

Last time I was in Canada (last summer) it was the Canadian guard on the way in who gave us a hard time and bitched out mu brother for not having a passport/birth certificate. We must have sat there for ten minutes getting lectured, though he didn't check our car or anything. On the return trip the American guard just talked to us for a minute or so, though he did ask for a drivers license.. So I guess it may depend on who you happen to get.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 05, 2003 12:08PM

I just called AAA and they told me that I would "definitely" need a passport or "original birth certificate." I figure that's the official line and they won't keep people away from their country if you don't have it, but that's what AAA said.

Posted by: JDeafvCornell (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2003 12:36PM

In March I crossed the border about 8 times in a 2 days span, because I was attending a conference in Detroit and staying in Windsor. I took a bus across the border 6 times and actually had to walk through the processing center.

Going into Canada, I showed my driver's licence once and never the copy of the birth certificate I had.

Going into the US they requested I show the copy of my birth certificate EVERY time in addition to my driver's license. One time the border guard gave me a very hard time about it being a copy instead of an original birth certificate. Either way, people with passports got across hassle free.

Posted by: LilRed12 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2003 01:29PM

I was just in Niagara Falls for spring break... on the way in they only asked us a few questions and asked for IDs (of everyone in the whole car).

The way back was definitely harder though (granted we had gone to war the night before). They checked our IDs and that was enough proof of citizenship for them. The funny thing is that they asked where we were going and when I said we were heading to Albany for ECAC Championships, the guy asked who we were playing there! Lot's of questions!!!! I think they just try to scare you, it's fun for them rolleyes

Posted by: Winnabago (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2003 05:21PM

A good proof of citizenship is a voter registration card(or birth certificate/green card) along with drivers licence, or so I've found. Be careful if there are people in the car of significantly different ages, I guess it seems a little unusual to them....

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2003 05:47PM

[Q]Be careful if there are people in the car of significantly different ages, I guess it seems a little unusual to them....[/Q]Yeah, like me and my daughter (8).:-}

Posted by: Chad (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2003 12:00AM

EVERYONE IN YOUR CAR SHOULD HAVE A PASSPORT...END OF STORY:-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login