Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Regular Season MVP

Posted by scoop85 
Regular Season MVP
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2017 12:22PM

Poll
Regular Season MVP
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
50 votes were received.
McCarron 13

26%
Vanderlaan 21

42%
Gillam 15

30%
Angello 1

2%
Yates 0

0%
Other 0

0%

With a rather satisfying regular season behind us, I got to thinking about who was the team's regular season MVP. With lots of scoring balance and solid play from all around, there are a number of candidates. But for me it would come down to either McCarron or Vanderlaan, with a slight edge to McCarron. He was rock solid on defense, and his contributions on offense really set to the tone for the "new look" Cornell attack.

Kudos too to the entire team for their consistency of effort and production, and for really playing like a cohesive group. Guys like Yates and Rauter really stepped-up their games, Angello had stretches of total dominance, and Buckles, after returning from injury, showed a great net presence that really boosted the offense. Gillam was steady and at times spectacular and, along with McCaron, Nuttle, McRae, Anderson and Kaldis held the unfortunately short-handed defense together.

Apologies to Trotsky for treading on his turf a bit, but hey we now have two weeks to kill!

Re: Regular Season MVP
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2017 02:35PM

I gave it to McCarron for his contributions to both O and D. A good argument can be made for anybody on the list though I would substitute Weidner for Angello.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 26, 2017 02:38PM

There is no one I trust the puck on the stick of more than Vanderlaan. But it's possible the rational choice is McCarron, due to the offense he provides over replacement value (generic D vs. generic F).

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 26, 2017 02:55PM

There's a horrible, awful, perverse part of me that wants us to have a (hypothetical, I swear!) season without a great goalie, just to see how awfully that would go.

I've only been a fan since McKee, so there are plenty of those years I've missed. I guess Scrivens' rookie year when he was alternating with Davenport kinda counts.

What I'm saying is, I voted for Gillam. Also, I'd swap Angello out for Kaldis this year.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2017 05:25PM

The best part about making a choice this year is that it was hard. Each one on the list is deserving. So are several other players.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2017 06:12PM

Larry72
The best part about making a choice this year is that it was hard.
So much this.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2017 07:15PM

I thought Gillam had a solid steady year, never the best player in any single game, but seldom had a truely off night.

Angello had a couple stretches of super dominant play, but disappeared at times.

Mccarron was much like gillam, showed up every game and was probably the rock of the team

Vanderlaan had the great beginning and then a super end even when not scoring was still probably the top 2-3 player in every game.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2017 07:45PM

Larry72
The best part about making a choice this year is that it was hard. Each one on the list is deserving. So are several other players.

So true.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 02, 2017 03:41PM

Kaldis on All Ivy first team; Gillam, Vanderlaan and McCarron on second team. [cornellbigred.com]

Second place Union doesn't even get an honorable mention, which is wild.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2017 03:42PM

ugarte
Kaldis on All Ivy first team; Gillam, Vanderlaan and McCarron on second team. [cornellbigred.com]

Union's not an Ivy, as much as their alumni like to claim they turned down an invitation to join.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 02, 2017 03:43PM

Beeeej
ugarte

Union's not an Ivy, as much as their alumni like to claim they turned down an invitation to join.
hahaha i totally was reading it as all-conference and didn't notice that there was no union, slu, clarkson...

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2017 03:44PM

ugarte
Beeeej
ugarte

hahaha i totally was reading it as all-conference and didn't notice that there was no union, slu, clarkson...

I figured. Not that Clarkson should be tearing up the all-conference honors, either.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login