Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Sc Johnson $150 million gift

Posted by upprdeck 
Sc Johnson $150 million gift
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 03:45PM

i think CU needs to have some business classes in Lynah and siphon some money for the a hockey arena..

Re: Sc Johnson $150 million gift
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2017 09:52AM

upprdeck
i think CU needs to have some business classes in Lynah and siphon some money for the a hockey arena..

And what would a new arena do? We had almost full arenas both nights. The crowd was into it and if we only had one win it might have carried over for the season.

And I was going to post this in reply to Phil Abramowitz on the Alumni thread, but if you'd heard Ken Dryden talk about coming into Lynah and what it meant to have a few thousand traveling fans, especially at the Boston Garden, then you'd understand that a new palatial arena would not be the answer. He was one of the 100 Best NHLer's and chose to come back to CU to be honored with his teammates, instead of being in LA to be honored with some of his NHL teammates.

No, we have to play like we did for a few periods this weekend and win.

If anything was proven this weekend, it was that the fans are still there for exciting, winning hockey. Now we just need to provide that.

p.s. I heard some of Ken Dryden's interview with Jason in between periods last night. I assume it was on the ILDN broadcast as well and would be on the archived version, as well. It was very similar to what he said at the 1967 reunion.

You should try and listen to it. Sure he's a good politician and tailored his talk to his audience, the fans, but from talking to former players, I'd have to believe that they all agree with what was said.

Date: January 29, 2017 10:23AM

Fans willing to sit in a bad arena doesnt mean they dont want a better one. I know many people who go and complain and many more who dont go and complain.

I am there every weekend, but i still wouldnt miss not getting kicked every time someone moves or not having a cup holder and a seat , having some real concession stands, a speaker system, a real scoreboard, replays etc.

And dont think it doesnt turn some recruits off when they go see other arenas

When the places is rocking its great, but its only still 60-70% full these days on most nights.

I also dont think a new arena does much for attendance, I would redo it, lower the seating by a few hundred and reward the fans that are stilling sitting in 1950s design.

Posted by: Hooking (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 12:09PM

In the late-50's early 60's the crowds grew rapidly, even back when Paul Patton was coach. Then the team's success was growing. I think the current spectator drought is a result of team performance, not seating arrangements.

Date: January 29, 2017 01:28PM

In the seven years from 1967 to 1973 the C.U. men's hockey team went to six frozen fours. In the following 42 years Cornell went to two frozen fours. It is remarkable the fan base has survived as well as it has.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 03:21PM

Hooking
In the seven years from 1967 to 1973 the C.U. men's hockey team went to six frozen fours. In the following 42 years Cornell went to two frozen fours. It is remarkable the fan base has survived as well as it has.
So, I guess only teams that go to six frozen fours in seven years are able to retain their fan base. Can't be many good fan bases around if that's the case.

Look, get a grip. In today's much-expanded college hockey world (twice the number of division I teams and the frozen four played in NHL rinks not the 1932 rink in Lake Placid), no one is ever going to repeat what Ned did at Cornell and Bertrand was able to trade on for two or three years. So let's stop wailing over the fact that the late 1960s are not ever coming back. To Ithaca or anywhere. If you're unable to deal with that, become a wrestling fan.

Date: January 29, 2017 03:47PM

While we are at it let's stop blaming game starting times, ticket lines, ticket prices, traveling, bad bounces, officiating, seating arrangements, exams, bad ice, and league expansion for the shortcomings of C.U. hockey teams and the demise of C.U. hockey attendance. BTW: The same teams that Cornell plays today and the teams that go to the frozen four today are pretty much the same teams that Cornell played against and went to the frozen four 50 years ago. They haven't changed much. Cornell has.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 04:07PM

Just. Win.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2017 04:29PM

Hooking
While we are at it let's stop blaming game starting times, ticket lines, ticket prices, traveling, bad bounces, officiating, seating arrangements, exams, bad ice, and league expansion for the shortcomings of C.U. hockey teams and the demise of C.U. hockey attendance. BTW: The same teams that Cornell plays today and the teams that go to the frozen four today are pretty much the same teams that Cornell played against and went to the frozen four 50 years ago. They haven't changed much. Cornell has.

??????????????????????????

So just how is it that they haven't changed much, but Cornell has.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-70-198-42.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2017 07:20PM

Jim Hyla
Hooking

??????????????????????????

So just how is it that they haven't changed much, but Cornell has.

You know that Penn state. Dominating hockey in the 60s.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-211-136.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2017 07:56PM

Al DeFlorio
Hooking
So, I guess only teams that go to six frozen fours in seven years are able to retain their fan base. Can't be many good fan bases around if that's the case.

Look, get a grip. In today's much-expanded college hockey world (twice the number of division I teams and the frozen four played in NHL rinks not the 1932 rink in Lake Placid), no one is ever going to repeat what Ned did at Cornell and Bertrand was able to trade on for two or three years. So let's stop wailing over the fact that the late 1960s are not ever coming back. To Ithaca or anywhere. If you're unable to deal with that, become a wrestling fan.

Or you could join Sherman and Peabody in the "Wayback Machine". That's a plan.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 09:29PM

marty
Al DeFlorio
Hooking

Or you could join Sherman and Peabody in the "Wayback Machine". That's a plan.

Jesus Christ. Everyone needs to stop bitching. I'm a fan. I watch and hope that "we" do well. We are fighting an uphill battle in regards to money, arena, admissions, history (good and bad), dwindling fan support, etc. In order for us to truly reach the pinnacle in college hockey (final four or better for an ivy), we need to "catch lightning in a bottle". We need luck and a couple great recruiting class(es). We all need to start being honest with ourselves. If we can see a final four or two (maybe even 3 with a championship sprinkled in as a best case scenario), consider yourself lucky, if not blessed. We will never be ND, BU,BC or Minnesota, nor do I want to be.

And for the millenials out there, you wanna pack lynah every night? Designate it a safe space. Problem solved.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2017 09:44PM by toddlose.

Date: January 29, 2017 09:51PM

toddlose
And for the millenials out there, you wanna pack lynah every night? Designate it a safe space. Problem solved.
For fuck's sake, I'm 2 generations distant from the Millennials and even I'm tired of that joke.

Also, the crowd was excellent for Harvard and not bad at all for Dartmouth, and in fact the rush for the exits Saturday night was on the townie side. I'm a Grumpy Old Man when it comes to the little darlings pleasuring themselves with their phone dildos during play, but other than that they're just like our crowds were in the 80s: 95% of them including sainted Section A react to action and events, and if the team shits the bed it kills the crowd. The lackluster third periods for the crowds this past weekend were not generational, they were a reaction to gameplay. The Kids are Alright.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2017 09:53PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 10:07PM

Trotsky
toddlose
For fuck's sake, I'm 2 generations distant from the Millennials and even I'm tired of that joke.

Also, the crowd was excellent for Harvard and not bad at all for Dartmouth, and in fact the rush for the exits Saturday night was on the townie side. I'm a Grumpy Old Man when it comes to the little darlings pleasuring themselves with their phone dildos during play, but other than that they're just like our crowds were in the 80s: 95% of them including sainted Section A react to action and events, and if the team shits the bed it kills the crowd. The lackluster third periods for the crowds this past weekend were not generational, they were a reaction to gameplay. The Kids are Alright.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I respectfully disagree. I've been to sporting events over the past 30 years (over several sports), and they have all changed for the worse. Every. Single. One.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2017 10:37PM

Trotsky
The Kids are Alright.

I'll accept that, provided you exclude the complete fucking morons (sorry--softer language doesn't apply here) who kept throwing fish in what could only be an attempt to be able to tell their friends, "I threw the fish that got Cornell the delay of game penalty."

I love the fish at the Harvard game. I love the tradition. I don't want to see a fish-less Lynah. But in our day (Trotsky and I are both mid-80s grads) there was far more fish, but 99% of it was thrown before the game started, with perhaps 1% thrown after the game ended. I honestly don't remember any fish whatsoever being thrown at any other time.

I was shocked we didn't get a delay of game penalty called against us on Friday night. Shocked! We have certainly been penalized for less in the past.

I really don't know what was going through these people's minds.

Date: January 29, 2017 10:50PM

andyw2100
Me neither.

In the age of ubiquitous social media, ignorance is no excuse. The offending fish came from A and D who should both know better. We were actively encouraging the ushers to find the students and kick them out.

The fish tradition is great, but the late throwers aren't contributing to it, they're just selfish jerks.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2017 11:10PM

Trotsky
andyw2100
Me neither.

In the age of ubiquitous social media, ignorance is no excuse. The offending fish came from A and D who should both know better. We were actively encouraging the ushers to find the students and kick them out.

The fish tradition is great, but the late throwers aren't contributing to it, they're just selfish jerks.

When the morons in A were throwing the late fish at the one guy out there to clean them up, some people in D started chanting "One more fish." We sit on the aisle with D, and my daughter who graduated in 2016, and is normally quite reserved stood up and started screaming at them. Later, when D was throwing the fish, we both were screaming at the entire Section, since we couldn't see where the fish were coming from. Most of the people in D that we could see were looking at us like we were nuts, and perhaps we were a little. The parts of D that we could see was more full of Facetimers than I recall, even for the Harvard game. Most of them then sat through the Alma Mater.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2017 05:50AM

andyw2100

I can answer that: NOTHING!!!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2017 07:59AM

redice
andyw2100

I can answer that: NOTHING!!!

Disagree, self-congratulation.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 30, 2017 08:46AM

I dont get why the school doesnt just deal with it.. put 2 people with cameras up in section O and K and watch the sections across from it. when it happens rewind the picture zoom it in and get who threw it.

the same question could be asked why they had shovels ready to remove snow at the 10 min break but only 1 for the fish before the game? they know its gonna happen have more people ready to deal with it.

Date: January 30, 2017 01:47PM

lucky bounces, fish, exams,travel, injury, hostile referees, bad ice, small crowds, late starting time, ugly uniforms, warm rinks, cheap sticks, hot pucks, illness, bad goals, hot goalies, noise distractions, prejudiced timekeepers, low barometric pressure - did I miss any?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2017 02:47PM

upprdeck
the same question could be asked why they had shovels ready to remove snow at the 10 min break but only 1 for the fish before the game? they know its gonna happen have more people ready to deal with it.
I must admit I didn't notice that, and I was really impressed by how quickly the rink dude got the late fish up. I came closer than I ever have to losing my shit as the players were circling to start the second and the two huge fish came out of A when the rink rat came streaking out of nowhere, grabbed the two fish, and turned to dart back before the officials got pissed... and ANOTHER fish came out and landed at his feet.

I think if I had seen the guy (yes, I am willing to make that guess) who threw the third fish I'd have made a citizen's arrest. The fuck, people? Are you there to support the team or smell your own farts?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2017 02:48PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2017 04:58PM

andyw2100
I love the fish at the Harvard game. I love the tradition. I don't want to see a fish-less Lynah. But in our day (Trotsky and I are both mid-80s grads) there was far more fish, but 99% of it was thrown before the game started, with perhaps 1% thrown after the game ended. I honestly don't remember any fish whatsoever being thrown at any other time.

My recollection - admittedly as suspect as anybody's - is that when I arrived in the late 1980s and for several years afterward, the tradition was to throw fish at Harvard when Cornell scored its first goal of the night. And just like the "stand until Cornell scores its first goal of the night" tradition morphed into "stand the whole game" when Cornell had a couple of bad seasons (1993, 1994) with a decent number of shutouts and 1-goal games, so did the fish-throwing morph into "throw when they arrive on the ice."

Am I crazy? (About this, I mean.)

My other recollection, and one of which I'm much more certain, is that over the course of about 30 years watching Cornell hockey, I've attended at least 25 Harvard games at Lynah (including some playoffs), and the problem of students (or whoever) throwing fish on the ice after they're "supposed" to, and after warnings have been issued, is a perennial one, not remotely new, and probably something I've seen at 15 out of those 25 contests. I even remember traveling to Harvard in the 1990s and wondering if we could get the refs to call a Delay of Game penalty on Harvard by sneaking into Harvard student sections and throwing fish a couple of times at the proper intervals.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2017 05:02PM by Beeeej.

Date: January 30, 2017 05:45PM

I dont recall which game it was but cornell got one delay of game penalty not too long ago when a visitor in section O threw something on the ice after a warning

Posted by: slh10 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2017 06:27PM

Just the fact that you are BORING!!! If you don't like the product on the ice go down the hall and watch basketball. Your pointless drivel is redundant. We get it, you don't like Schafer or his style of hockey. Move on!!! Sorry to everyone else for feeding the trolls!!!smashfreak

Date: January 30, 2017 07:12PM

Beeeej
andyw2100

My recollection - admittedly as suspect as anybody's - is that when I arrived in the late 1980s and for several years afterward, the tradition was to throw fish at Harvard when Cornell scored its first goal of the night. And just like the "stand until Cornell scores its first goal of the night" tradition morphed into "stand the whole game" when Cornell had a couple of bad seasons (1993, 1994) with a decent number of shutouts and 1-goal games, so did the fish-throwing morph into "throw when they arrive on the ice."

Am I crazy? (About this, I mean.)

My other recollection, and one of which I'm much more certain, is that over the course of about 30 years watching Cornell hockey, I've attended at least 25 Harvard games at Lynah (including some playoffs), and the problem of students (or whoever) throwing fish on the ice after they're "supposed" to, and after warnings have been issued, is a perennial one, not remotely new, and probably something I've seen at 15 out of those 25 contests. I even remember traveling to Harvard in the 1990s and wondering if we could get the refs to call a Delay of Game penalty on Harvard by sneaking into Harvard student sections and throwing fish a couple of times at the proper intervals.

You aren't crazy. Initially when I was a student it was fish after our first goal, and some frat tied a chicken in the net between periods 1 and 2. Then one year the chicken didn't move. Awkward. And I'm pretty sure that was it for "fowl."

Fish at the beginning of the game may have been a truce brokered between the administration and fans. The zeal with which the administration has policed the students has waxed and waned over the years and, as hard as this is to type, I think it may be too lax now. As far as I'm concerned, if you throw fish on the ice prior to the introductions you're fine. At any other time, fuck you, I'll throw you out myself if I catch you.

The other thing is I wish people would just stick to big fish. Not only are they MUCH more fun, and a challenge, but the little fish and the Swedish fish are hard to see and a risk. All we fucking need is for a player or a referee to sustain an injury after hitting a rogue anchovy and that will be it for the tradition forever.

I know posting here is preaching to people who know, but if any students lurk here, please (1) POST!!! We need you! We are fucking old, and (2) please pass the word and make it part of the student knowledge that there are rules for Fish N Fowl, and they matter.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2017 07:21PM

upprdeck
I dont get why the school doesnt just deal with it..

As someone who used to be an usher at Lynah and has observed Cornell's efforts close-up, I can answer your question: They don't truly want to stop it!!! They make plenty of noise discouraging it, but do nothing that actually looks like stopping it... Face it, it will go on as long as there are students who wish it to do so. If there are students stupid enough to throw the fish at times which will bring penalties against CU, that is what will happen!! While the administration CAN stop it, they will not!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login