Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

1967 CELEBRATION

Posted by Jim Hyla 
1967 CELEBRATION
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2017 06:23PM

Reception For 1967 NCAA Champion Men's Hockey Team Upcoming

What a weekend this could be.

Re: 1967 CELEBRATION
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 10:23PM

Nice that cornell can post this notice on a board that the majority townie fans dont look at.

Maybe an email to season ticket holders to let them know of the event?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2017 11:19PM

upprdeck
Nice that cornell can post this notice on a board that the majority townie fans dont look at.

Maybe an email to season ticket holders to let them know of the event?

I received an email about this today that was addressed to CHA members. I know that's not what you are looking for, but it's a little better than nothing.

Posted by: Hooking (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 10:14AM

The 1967 National Championship came just 10 years after the sport of ice hockey came to Cornell (Lynah rink opened). After the '67 Championship Team Cornell appeared in six of the next seven frozen fours. My how times have changed.

Posted by: mas1969 (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2017 02:13PM

Hooking
The 1967 National Championship came just 10 years after the sport of ice hockey came to Cornell (Lynah rink opened). After the '67 Championship Team Cornell appeared in six of the next seven frozen fours. My how times have changed.

Among other changes, more schools added the sport and more schools stepped up to Div. I, thus increasing the competition for the good players. In addition, NHL expansion that began in 1967 raised the level of interest in hockey throughout the nationU.S. and greater efficiency meant more rinks, all of which added to the supply of good players.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2017 04:29PM

mas1969
Hooking

Among other changes, more schools added the sport and more schools stepped up to Div. I, thus increasing the competition for the good players. In addition, NHL expansion that began in 1967 raised the level of interest in hockey throughout the nationU.S. and greater efficiency meant more rinks, all of which added to the supply of good players.

Harkness, no need to say anything more.**]

Date: January 15, 2017 11:08AM

Yep, Harkness. Compare the W-L record of the Cornell Men's Lacrosse Team the first year he coached it versus the team record the previous year. Pretty much the same players, but NOT the same team.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2017 12:24PM

Hooking
Yep, Harkness. Compare the W-L record of the Cornell Men's Lacrosse Team the first year he coached it versus the team record the previous year. Pretty much the same players, but NOT the same team.
I always figured the huge class that he brought in for hockey played lax for him in the Spring, too.

I did not realize he was using the same old players. Wow.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2017 01:16PM

Trotsky
Hooking
I always figured the huge class that he brought in for hockey played lax for him in the Spring, too.

I was on that spring 1966 team. The players are only old NOW.

Only one hockey player was on that team - Harry Orr at midfield - but he was a force with a cannon underhand shot that started low but could have finished anywhere he wanted to put it. Lacrosse equivalent of the slapshot from the point.

Biggest difference on the 66-68 teams was Butch Hilliard, Lacrosse HOF player in the goal. Still returning was Bruce Cohen to score, and footballers Doug Zirkle, who was a horse at midfield and Ting Vanneman on defense. Ting was about 6'6" and famous for being one of the supports for the tower stack intended to disrupt Princeton placekicker Charlie Gogolak. Ned went 35-1. We should commission the guy who did "Touchdown the Bear" to put a statue of Ned by the stairs near the Lynah entrance.

Or maybe at the intersection of the central paths on the Arts Quad.;-)

Date: January 15, 2017 02:35PM

Harkness coached Cornell Men's Lacrosse for three years. His record was 35 wins, one loss.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2017 06:58PM

TimV
Biggest difference on the 66-68 teams was Butch Hilliard, Lacrosse HOF player in the goal. Still returning was Bruce Cohen to score...
Cohen, a 1965 classmate of mine, missed the 1964 season with an injury, but continued in the old five-year engineering program and so remained eligible his fifth year as he did not get a degree. He was a mechanical engineer and Hilliard was an engineering physics major (don't make lax players like that anymore:-P). Bruce is also a lacrosse HOF guy (led the Ivies in scoring all three years), and belongs in the pantheon of Cornell lacrosse greats. Wish he could have played three varsity years under Ned.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2017 07:04PM

TimV
We should commission the guy who did "Touchdown the Bear" to put a statue of Ned by the stairs near the Lynah entrance.
There should absolutely be a statue of Ned by Lynah. Crowdfund it maybe?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2017 08:32PM

TimV
Trotsky
Hooking

I was on that spring 1966 team. The players are only old NOW.

Only one hockey player was on that team - Harry Orr at midfield - but he was a force with a cannon underhand shot that started low but could have finished anywhere he wanted to put it. Lacrosse equivalent of the slapshot from the point.

Biggest difference on the 66-68 teams was Butch Hilliard, Lacrosse HOF player in the goal. Still returning was Bruce Cohen to score, and footballers Doug Zirkle, who was a horse at midfield and Ting Vanneman on defense. Ting was about 6'6" and famous for being one of the supports for the tower stack intended to disrupt Princeton placekicker Charlie Gogolak. Ned went 35-1. We should commission the guy who did "Touchdown the Bear" to put a statue of Ned by the stairs near the Lynah entrance.

Or maybe at the intersection of the central paths on the Arts Quad.;-)

For the record, I LOVE posts like this. Thanks to TimV for sharing.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2017 11:43AM

Al DeFlorio
TimV
Biggest difference on the 66-68 teams was Butch Hilliard, Lacrosse HOF player in the goal. Still returning was Bruce Cohen to score...
Cohen, a 1965 classmate of mine, missed the 1964 season with an injury, but continued in the old five-year engineering program and so remained eligible his fifth year as he did not get a degree. He was a mechanical engineer and Hilliard was an engineering physics major (don't make lax players like that anymore:-P). Bruce is also a lacrosse HOF guy (led the Ivies in scoring all three years), and belongs in the pantheon of Cornell lacrosse greats. Wish he could have played three varsity years under Ned.

I thought Butch graduated from IEOR. But then again, many of us started out in engineering physics and switched later on, and OTOH, I'm like the guy in the joke about remembering the name of last night's restaurant,* so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

As for Harkness, everyone knows the only reason his lacrosse teams went 35-1 was because of his recruiting from Canada. Harry Orr (#19) was that good. Besides, those teams still weren't good enough to win a single NC, so let's not blow this out of proportion. (Thank you Bal'more. flipd)

*Two altacockers, Marv and Moe, are talking.
Marv: "Boy, we ate in a great restaurant last night."
Moe: "Really? What's it called?"
Marv: "Let me think. What's the name of that flower?"
Moe: "Ummm. I don't know. Violet?"
Marv: "No, the red one."
Moe: "Carnation?"
Marv: "No, this one has thorns."
Moe: "Do you mean rose?"
Marv: "Yes, that's it. [shouting] Rose! What was the name of the place we ate last night?"
burnout

Date: January 16, 2017 05:44PM

Swampy
I thought Butch graduated from IEOR.
Could be. Cornell alumni directory shows BSENGR '68 but MEE '69. Still, not many engineers of any flavor today.

Date: January 16, 2017 05:50PM

Swampy
Besides, those teams still weren't good enough to win a single NC, so let's not blow this out of proportion. (Thank you Bal'more. flipd)

Yes. Yes we were... We just didn't. Because there was no tournament then.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2017 06:25PM

TimV
Swampy
Besides, those teams still weren't good enough to win a single NC, so let's not blow this out of proportion. (Thank you Bal'more. flipd)

And who won the first championship when they finally did decide it on-field, instead of just picking from those Maryland schools?

I guess Coach Moran and the team showed all.

As an aside, he's written his autobiography. They're having an 80th birthday celebration and book signing the same day as the 1967 reception.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2017 06:32PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2017 07:59PM

Jim Hyla
TimV
Swampy

And who won the first championship when they finally did decide it on-field, instead of just picking from those Maryland schools?

I guess Coach Moran and the team showed all.

As an aside, he's written his autobiography. They're having an 80th birthday celebration and book signing the same day as the 1967 reception.

The manager of the refinery I worked at used to enjoy lacrosse small talk until that championship weekend - smug Princeton Tiger - but really an OK guy on balance.

Date: January 16, 2017 09:29PM

TimV
Swampy

Just in case you didn't notice, the flipd acknowledged that the fix was in. If rather than having the Maryland schools vote on which one of them would win, they had actually played for the NC, I have no doubt Ned & Co. would have chalked up a few more NC's.

Date: January 16, 2017 10:42PM

Hard not to notice a bright red double bird. It was the part about "Blowing out of proportion" that made it sound bad. cuss

Date: January 17, 2017 05:14AM

TimV
Hard not to notice a bright red double bird. It was the part about "Blowing out of proportion" that made it sound bad. cuss
For me it was the "still weren't good enough" part.

Date: January 17, 2017 10:40AM

Maryland lacrosse is entirely composed of parvenus. Lacrosse is an Iroquois game, and the Iroquois Confederation centers in what is now upstate New York. Tidewater johnny-come-latelys bragging about their lacrosse history should drink ink.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: January 17, 2017 12:07PM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy
Could be. Cornell alumni directory shows BSENGR '68 but MEE '69. Still, not many engineers of any flavor today.
Butch was an Enginering Physics major.
He was my dorm counselor (are they call RA's now?) the second semester of my freshman year.

Date: January 17, 2017 11:02PM

jkahn
Al DeFlorio
Swampy
Butch was an Enginering Physics major.
He was my dorm counselor (are they call RA's now?) the second semester of my freshman year.

First, a caveat. When we're talking about our recollections from almost 50 years ago, for a number of reasons (the time lapse, the age of the recaller) we have to take them with a grain of salt. This is especially true if 50 years ago was in the sixties, because anyone who remembers the sixties wasn't there.

That said, from your signature, Jeff, I surmise you started in fall of 1966. If so, it's fully possible that someone in the class of '68 was your dorm counselor in spring of 67 and still an Engineering Physics major at the time, during their junior year. But I think it was still possible to change majors by the senior year.

My particular recollections of Butch stem from the fact that we were in several engineering classes together, and I was IEOR. But maybe I'm remembering classes during the early years when everyone took core courses irrespective of whatever major they chose.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: January 18, 2017 11:05AM

Swampy
This is especially true if 50 years ago was in the sixties, because anyone who remembers the sixties wasn't there.

Love that.crazy

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 18, 2017 11:26AM

TimV
Swampy
This is especially true if 50 years ago was in the sixties, because anyone who remembers the sixties wasn't there.

Love that.crazy

And also that The Sixties actually runs from 1964 to 1973.

Date: January 18, 2017 11:31AM

Absolutely. The Kennedy assassination was a pivot point - seems everything changed after that, and the early 60's were just a continuation of the 50's.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.58.224.---)
Date: January 18, 2017 11:45AM

Most history books I know of put the Eisenhower and Kennedy presidencies in the same chapter. They're essentially the same period.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 11:45AM by Iceberg.

Date: January 18, 2017 12:04PM

Iceberg
Most history books I know of put the Eisenhower and Kennedy presidencies in the same chapter. They're essentially the same period.

Exactly my point. Right up to the time the bullet hit the bone.

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 11:26AM

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 27, 2017 11:44AM

lol

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 05:07PM

Trotsky
TimV
We should commission the guy who did "Touchdown the Bear" to put a statue of Ned by the stairs near the Lynah entrance.
The bear statue was tens of thousands of dollars. You pay upfront for its care in perpetuity. Plus for site prep. And the bear and the base.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 05:39PM

i think it was more than that.

Date: January 27, 2017 06:51PM

billhoward
Trotsky
TimV
The bear statue was tens of thousands of dollars. You pay upfront for its care in perpetuity. Plus for site prep. And the bear and the base.

OK. Let's sell the bear to Brown or Maine and use that money. Since the care is already paid.

Or you pay for it Bill, and we'll attach a small plaque with your name on it.

Date: January 28, 2017 09:29AM

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. Eisenhower = Trump!

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: January 30, 2017 03:13PM

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2017 03:15PM

It's pretty friggin' cool that Dryden and Nieuwy were included in the NHL Top 100 All-time list.

About time we got our defenseman.

NCAA off the top of my head (please help):

Chelios, Wisconsin
Dryden, Cornell
Brett Hull, UMD
Keith, MSU
Leetch, BC
Nieuwendyk, Cornell
Oates, RPI
Toews, NoDak
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2017 03:26PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: January 30, 2017 06:35PM

Trotsky
It's pretty friggin' cool that Dryden and Nieuwy were included in the NHL Top 100 All-time list.

Chelios, Wisconsin
Dryden, Cornell
Brett Hull, UMD
Keith, MSU
Leetch, BC
Nieuwendyk, Cornell
Oates, RPI
Toews, NoDak
Tony Esposito, Michigan Tech

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2017 11:52PM

jkahn
Trotsky

Chelios, Wisconsin
Dryden, Cornell
Brett Hull, UMD
Keith, MSU
Leetch, BC
Nieuwendyk, Cornell
Oates, RPI
Toews, NoDak
Tony Esposito, Michigan Tech

That agrees with what College Hockey Inc posted. [collegehockeyinc.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login