Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Cornell Recruits

Posted by Rob '98 
New Cornell Recruits
Posted by: Rob '98 (---.esr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2003 10:01PM

listed on Heisenber's site

this coming year's class
Mike Stachurski-LD (3/26/03) Espoo Finland 6'2 215 -84

also listed on the 04 recruit page

Matt McKeown-LW (2/8/03) Burlington (OPJHL) 5'11 190 1-16-85 36-9-14-23-37 || 45-13-17-30-52

Re: New Cornell Recruits
Posted by: Section A (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 26, 2003 10:23PM

Mike Stachurski is ranked #89 on the NHL Central Scouting for European players.

Anyone have any idea what his numbers over in Finland are? From a first glance, it looks like we're trying to replace Doug.

Posted by: Rob '98 (---.esr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2003 11:33PM

Cant read the website but this is what i can find

[www.blues.fi]#

also i found this

239. Stachurski Michael John, Blues A

O M S P P+ P- + / - RM L L-%

33 1 4 5 17 11 6 84 35 2,86

from this page

[www.sm-liiga.fi]

Posted by: French Rage (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2003 12:18AM

From the one page:

Syntynyt:

Pituus:

Paino:

Maila:
Left

Yleistiedot:
Mike is oldest of three boys. He spends most of his time weightlifting and training. He also wrestles and boxes. Dating with long time Canadien girlfriend. He loves living in Finland and hopes to live here permanently in the future. Näin kertoo viime kaudella Jokereissa pelannut puolustaja. Taklaava pelityyli ja kovat laukakset kaipaisivat kohennusta käsien taitoon.

And the picture definitely looks like a Dougie replacement.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 27, 2003 12:31AM

Well, Stachurski may be similar in size to Murray, but he certainly doesn't have the offensive game. Not that I have a problem with that - we need stay at home defenders too.

Posted by: Adam (205.217.105.---)
Date: March 27, 2003 08:11AM

Question. I know we were able to evaluate and recruite Dougie because he played in New York after moving from Sweden. How the heck did we get to evaluate and recruit this new kid? Does Cornell now make recruiting trips to Europe?

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2003 08:30AM

Adam '01 wrote:

Question. I know we were able to evaluate and recruite Dougie because he played in New York after moving from Sweden. How the heck did we get to evaluate and recruit this new kid? Does Cornell now make recruiting trips to Europe?
1. It wouldn't surprise me if he recruited us by sending in a tape.
2. Maybe through "Dating with long time Canadien girlfriend"?

Posted by: Adam (205.217.105.---)
Date: March 27, 2003 08:38AM

So does that mean she's been a Canadian for a long time or his girlfriend for a long time? B-]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 27, 2003 09:15AM

Well, Stachurski is not your typical name for a Finn. It wouldn't surprise me if he's Canadian but playing in Finland and perhaps going to school there, too. The fact that one of the quotes above speaks to his wanting to live in Finland eventually somehow signals to me that he isn't a native. Speculation, of course.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 27, 2003 10:17AM

Yep, I think Al nailed it. Now the next question of course is why he decided to play in Finland. Maybe he has a short-time Finnish girlfriend. ;-)

4 F and 4 D, many of them huge. "Ex-cellent."

Answers To Questions
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.crec.org)
Date: March 27, 2003 10:58AM

The former Cornell coach (the one before McCutcheon) is a scout in Finland and found Stachurski. He is a Canadian that is on some type of exchange program in Finland. Schaefer billed him as a top notch defensive prospect in the same mold as Murray. His numbers may seem a little modest, but the league he plays in is not only an outstanding league (probably better than USHL, BCHL and those types) but a very low scoring league. The leading scorer of the Finish junior league rarely even has a point-a-game average.
With this addition, Cornell clearly has the top defensive recruiting class-if not the top overall recruiting class in the country.

Re: Answers To Questions
Date: March 27, 2003 11:13AM

With a D like that, how could Lenny even think about leaving? help

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2003 11:14AM

I assume you mean Lou Reycroft. I still see him at some Lynah games. It always amazes me that guys who were essentially fired, like those two, still feel good about the program. What that says, I don't know.

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 27, 2003 11:22AM

It is probably the nature of the profession. I think if you are going to make a career of coaching (especially at a high level), you have to accept that "what have you done for me lately" is both the general rule and an occupational hazard.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.crec.org)
Date: March 27, 2003 11:30AM

Lou Reycroft it is.

Posted by: yougoon (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2003 11:43AM

I deleted all the things I wrote in response to this thread regarding Reycroft since I guess it is not my place to tell the scoop, however, if you thought about things a little, you might notice that Reycroft recruited and coached Schafer. :-(

Posted by: CUlater '89 (---.rasserver.net)
Date: March 27, 2003 12:03PM

Reycroft has maintained close ties to the program since he left, even under McCutcheon.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: March 27, 2003 12:07PM

I believe that Schafer has gone out of his way to keep certain people in touch with the program. Look no further than the inclusion of a McCutcheon in next year's class.

Date: March 27, 2003 12:28PM

Which goes to show Mike's a really savvy guy. Burning bridges doesn't buy you much. The efforts Mike, his coaches, and staff--particularly Sue Detzer--have made to keep alumni and other friends involved with and close to the program have paid and will continue to pay great dividends.

Date: March 27, 2003 01:45PM

And the inclusion of John Hughes' son on the team a few years ago. Coach Schafer makes continual references to teams, achievements and players of the past. That has to make those guys feel good, and it is appropriate to show gratitude to those who've come before. I think we didn't see that for a while because it contrasted jarringly with the contemporary state of the program. Now that this isn't a problem, the past becomes as asset again rather than a double-edged sword.

Reycroft is also a lifetime ECAC/Ivy guy. A Brown goalie, IIRC.

Date: March 27, 2003 01:47PM

I wonder if any independent organization, magazine, website rates the recruiting classes the way they do (ad nauseum) in football and hoops.

Posted by: apple core (---.winston.com)
Date: March 27, 2003 02:44PM

Mike Stachurski grew up in Winnipeg, but has played the last two years in Finland.

Posted by: Roy Kornbluh (---.erg.sri.com)
Date: March 27, 2003 05:23PM

Don't forget the two years he put in working for Monsters Inc.;-)

Posted by: CUlater '89 (---.rasserver.net)
Date: March 27, 2003 11:57PM

rolleyes

Give me a break. Mark McCutcheon was one of the highest rated recruits in the country last year. Schafer's desire to continue connections to the past had little to do with his efforts to recruit him.

In any event, at least since '86 (when I started following such things), the program has always stayed connected to the past. It doesn't hurt when you have an ex-goalie as AD and later two ex-players ('71 and '86) as head coaches.

Date: March 28, 2003 01:41AM

I think you've got it backwards, CULater. The point being made was that Schafer's connections with the past, Coach McCutcheon in particular, were strong enough that McCutcheon felt comfortable sending his son to play for the school that fired him.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2003 06:13AM

[Q] It doesn't hurt when you have an ex-goalie as AD and later two ex-players ('71 and '86) as head coaches.[/Q]

Wasn't it class of '70 for Dick Bertrand?

Posted by: Ken Deschere (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2003 06:59AM

Dick Bertrand was '70. Brian McCutcheon was '71.

Ken '71

Posted by: yougoon (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2003 10:22AM

I guess I'm missing something - other than the fact that McCutcheon's son was recruited by Schaf, how has McCutcheon stayed connected to the program? shifty

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2003 03:29PM

[Q]I think you've got it backwards, CULater. The point being made was that Schafer's connections with the past, Coach McCutcheon in particular, were strong enough that McCutcheon felt comfortable sending his son to play for the school that fired him.[/Q] Exactly![Q]I guess I'm missing something - other than the fact that McCutcheon's son was recruited by Schaf, how has McCutcheon stayed connected to the program? [/Q]The point is just that If you are fired you usually don't look fondly, and consider your son going there. That's especially true since it seems he could have gone elsewhere. So there must be some reason Reycroft, who didn't even go to CU, and McCutcheon still look well upon us.

I'll leave it to others to try and explain it.

Posted by: Adam 04 (---.ia3.marketscore.com)
Date: April 14, 2003 12:30AM

I just found this.

Mike Stachurski-LD (3/26/03) Espoo Finland 6'2 215 -84

[216.239.37.100]

He is ranked 89th in the 2002/2003 Europe Mid-season rankings of forwards and defence.

Date: April 14, 2003 08:15AM

Brian McCutcheon has been present at several Cornell hockey events throughout the last few years.

All coaches are aware that they are hired to be fired, and a good successor like Mike is both smart and honorable to repair bridges rather than burn them.

Good luck to all the prospects this summer. Stay healthy! :-)

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2003 07:47PM

Greg wrote:

Brian McCutcheon has been present at several Cornell hockey events throughout the last few years.

All coaches are aware that they are hired to be fired, and a good successor like Mike is both smart and honorable to repair bridges rather than burn them.

Yep. From the INCH notes from last week: [www.insidecollegehockey.com]
[Q]Brian McCutcheon, assistant coach of the Buffalo Sabres and member of Cornell's 1970 national championship team is among the most notable Big Red supporters this weekend. He stopped by the Big Red dressing room -- the one used by the Sabres during the regular season -- to offer his congratulations and best wishes on Wednesday after practice.[/Q]

Date: April 15, 2003 08:56AM

[Q]Brian McCutcheon, assistant coach of the Buffalo Sabres and member of Cornell's 1970 national championship team is among the most notable Big Red supporters this weekend. He stopped by the Big Red dressing room -- the one used by the Sabres during the regular season -- to offer his congratulations and best wishes on Wednesday after practice.[/Q]
And he gave to us his only son. And that son could walk on water.

Frozen water, sure, but I am looking for signs and wonders and miracles in the coming year. And I am willing to be more than a little blasphemous to get my miracles.

Post Edited (04-15-03 08:57)

Posted by: lrf (209.48.224.---)
Date: April 15, 2003 10:36AM

why does everyone assume that he just 'gave' away his son? i mean, surely the kid has a choice about where he wants to go, and perhaps brian decided to be impartial and let his own kid decide. why is everyone assuming he is so domineering that he is making the college decisions for his kid, or badmouthing the school because of whatever negative experiences he's had?

Date: April 15, 2003 10:39AM

lrf wrote:

why does everyone assume that he just 'gave' away his son?
It's just a bad Jesus joke, not a challenge to Mark's character.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 15, 2003 05:40PM

So let's see...

We have the second coming of Ken Dryden and a son who can walk on water.

We often have the fishes, so we just need the loaves.

Let us play....

JH

Date: April 15, 2003 05:53PM

And we have two abbotts. :-)

Lethal Weapon
Date: April 23, 2003 06:29PM

Short article on Dan Glover in a local BC rag: [www.vernonmorningstar.com] forwarded to me courtesy of RPI's Ralph Bear.

Post Edited (04-23-03 18:30)

Re: Lethal Weapon
Posted by: Section A (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 23, 2003 06:54PM

Have any of the other recruits been drafted? And if they haven't, are they expected to be drafted this summer?

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: April 23, 2003 07:02PM

Dan Glover is the only draftee of the eight in the class of 2007; Evan Salmela is the only other recruit who was eligible for last year's draft. This summer, Mark McCutcheon, Ryan O'Byrne, Byron Bitz, and Mitch Carefoot are eligible for the draft (without opting in and forfeiting their NCAA eligibility). All four are listed on the Central Scouting Service midterm rankings. I'd expect at least three will be drafted.

Among the class of 2006, Shane Hynes and Matt Moulson will be drafted this summer. Cam Abbott has a remote chance of joining them.

Date: April 23, 2003 11:38PM

Cornell draft picks list here: [www.spiritone.com]

The record for Cornellians taken in one draft is 6, set in 1989.

Post Edited (04-23-03 23:45)

Posted by: atb9 (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2003 12:40AM

Have...to...post...this...

Did anyone else notice that Glover was drafted in the same way Murray was? Here's to hoping he blossoms like Murray did. The similarity would have been even more striking if they had gone to the same team but you have to understand I've been absent for a while with school work and I'm dying to post something...anything... ;-)

Posted by: Tub(a) (132.236.216.---)
Date: April 24, 2003 09:17AM

It doesn't sound like Glover has a lot of offensive potential, but there is nothing wrong with hope :)

Posted by: CUlater (---.ambacinc.com)
Date: April 24, 2003 11:02AM

Here's the link to the Central Scouting Bureau, where you can find the midseason rankings. [centralscouting.nhl.com]

In addition to the Cornell players and recruits, I see Ithaca native Dustin Brown is at #2 among domestic skaters (one spot ahead of Minnesota's Thomas Vanek).

Date: April 24, 2003 12:25PM

CUlater '89 wrote:

Here's the link to the Central Scouting Bureau, where you can find the midseason rankings. [centralscouting.nhl.com]

No surprise, Marc-Andre Fleury (the guy Lenny backed up on the Canadian WJC team) is the #1 domestic goalie.

It is also interesting that Ryan Hughes and Etienne Belzile, both drafted in the 2d round in 1990 never went anywhere, hockeywise. (Since I recall that Schafer mentioned in an interview with Adam that Belzile is now a doctor, I think "hockeywise" is a very important caveat.)

Post Edited (04-24-03 12:41)

Date: April 24, 2003 12:45PM

Craig Buckser '94 wrote:
Among the class of 2006, Shane Hynes and Matt Moulson will be drafted this summer. Cam Abbott has a remote chance of joining them.
Why only Cam? Whither Chris?

Date: April 24, 2003 12:47PM

Of course the article says "(on scholarship with Cornell Big Red next year)", so we've got that issue popping up again . . .

draft rankings
Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: April 24, 2003 01:32PM

In the November preliminary rankings, Cam Abbott was listed as the 30th best NCAA draft prospect (excluding goaltenders). Chris was not listed.

Date: April 24, 2003 01:36PM

big red apple wrote:

Of course the article says "(on scholarship with Cornell Big Red next year)", so we've got that issue popping up again . . .
Well, I was "on scholarship," too--and I can't skate. Probably close to half of Cornell undergrads are. Only an issue to the ignoranti.

Post Edited (04-24-03 16:03)

Date: April 24, 2003 02:01PM

Al DeFlorio wrote:

Well, I was "on scholarship," too--and I can't skate. Probably close to half of Cornell undergrads are. Only an issue to the ignoranti.

I don't think that you meant me, so I won't take it personally. :-)

And I understand that "on scholarship" has more than one meaning, but in that context "athletic scholarship" is implied, and I wish that the paper would be more careful. The entire raison d'etre of a newspaper (from a reader's perspective) is the transmission of facts, so the least a newspaper can do is be careful with their words so the facts don't get lost.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: April 24, 2003 02:24PM

BRA,

This is the same Vernon Morning Star that described the 1200 SAT score of an RPI recruit a year ago as "sparkling", so I wouldn't try to dig too deeply into the meaning of "on scholarship". These local newpapers in small towns in Canada (or the US, for that matter) are good for getting information on recruits, but have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Greg,

It's "Baer", not "Bear", d@mn it. This is the second time. Since one isn't supposed to flame for spelling, I'll give you credit for a proper translation. :-D

Date: April 24, 2003 02:50PM

I think that Schafer also spoke about Belzile in his interview with Jeremy Schaap on ESPN Radio during the season.

The draft is such a crapshoot. Even the first round has tons of busts, which is not surprising given the age at which these players are drafted and how much size and speed can change over time. On the other hand, that second round pick of Joe Nieuwendyk worked out pretty well for Calgary.

Re: Ryan Hughes
Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.stanford.edu)
Date: April 24, 2003 02:53PM

I always felt bad for Ryan, who was team captain his senior year that turned out to be an absolute disappointment. The team grossly underperformed, and I always got the sense that Ryan ended his Cornell career on a sour note. That was just my impression...Whether it carried over into his attempt in the pro is anyone's guess.

Re: Ryan Hughes
Date: April 24, 2003 03:31PM

Ryan actually had a few decent seasons in the minors, including a very good one in 1995-96 with the Providence Bruins, the same year he had a cup of coffee with the Boston Bruins. Thanks to his work at Cornell, he learned how to be a good (not great) defensive center but he never had the speed necessary to make it on the next level. Still, I thought he'd hang around longer in the minors longer than it seems he did.

Date: April 24, 2003 04:06PM

No, I didn't mean you, apple.;-)

And, yes, I wish they'd be more precise in their writing. But to anyone who understands the Ivy League, it shouldn't be an issue.

Posted by: jd212 (---.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: April 25, 2003 10:47AM

chill out guys. In Canada, any form of financial aid is called a scholarship. It's just a different meaning of the word. It's not wrong. Who cares? And do you really think people in Canada know the Ivy League specifically does not give out athletic scholarships, or academic scholarships, in our sense of the word?

Date: April 25, 2003 03:15PM

[q]It's "Baer", not "Bear", d@mn it. This is the second time. Since one isn't supposed to flame for spelling, I'll give you credit for a proper translation[/q]

Hey, at least I attribute. Not my fault if I transpose wildly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login