Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CU vs Dartmouth 01/22/16

Posted by Johnny 5 
CU vs Dartmouth 01/22/16
Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2016 07:02AM

This team may have resulted in more CU fan anguish than any other team except Brown?
Here's hoping for a better outcome!!

cheer

Re: CU vs Dartmouth 01/22/16
Posted by: Iceberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2016 08:29AM

This game will be on ESPN3 for anyone that can get it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 09:58AM

Dartmouth swept the North Country at home last weekend. Our lads had best not be looking past them.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 10:31AM

Trotsky
Dartmouth swept the North Country at home last weekend. Our lads had best not be looking past them.

Boy, I hope not. I understand my priorities may be off, but I hate them more than any other team in the ECAC.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2016 11:19AM

Iceberg
This game will be on ESPN3 for anyone that can get it.

Here's the game-specific link:

[espn.go.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 03:11PM

Seniors are 1-3-2 against them. 0-2-1 at home. Haven't scored more than twice against them in three years.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 06:24PM

"Vox Clamantis in Deserto" roughly translates to "Speaking of clam juice in the desert," who brought the vodka?

Date: January 22, 2016 06:39PM

As of 6:39 still derp radio on HCU.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 08:46PM

Cornell looks like it has no idea how to set up an offense. There is almost no passing in the offensive zone at all and the only shots we seem to try are wraparounds. Nobody looks to get to open space which is fine because nobody is looking to pass anyway. It's like they've invented a new style called dump and retreat.

Anyway, down 0-2 at the start of the third.

Date: January 22, 2016 09:12PM

Some good stuff going on in the middle of the third but there are only about 4 minutes left and still no score. The defense has been really good though. Dartmouth's only goals were both on weird deflections off of Cornell players. A real bummer so far.

Date: January 22, 2016 09:21PM

Gillam gets pulled early and the Red get a lot of pressure with the extra attacker but to no avail. Dartmouth scores on the empty net with a minute left and *close tab*.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2016 09:33PM

Not getting much puck luck right now, after probably getting more than our share earlier in the season. Need to turn it around ASAP

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 10:02PM

tons of chancesin the slot that i dont think we even touched the puck. but they might have set a new record for time with puck spent inside the goalie area with no goals. multiple deflections that hit the goalie and several late ones that just refused to go in. 3rd period energy was pretty good. the first 2 goals were wierd , the 2nd one hit at least 3 things then bounced into the top of the net.

Date: January 23, 2016 12:19AM

Only 4 shots in the third despite trailing. Dartmouth did a good job on us, and I'm worried that we've suddenly reverted.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2016 12:42AM

Trotsky
Only 4 shots in the third despite trailing. Dartmouth did a good job on us, and I'm worried that we've suddenly reverted.

Silver lining: lots of game tape showing how you close out a game when you're ahead…

Date: January 23, 2016 12:52AM

First Dartmouth goal, Gillam makes the save right into a Cornellian skate and in. Second Dartmouth goal, Hilbrich slides to block the puck pops in the air and then you'll have to read the Warren Commission report to figure out how it got in the net but Gillam didn't have a chance. This team is very good defensively.

But they really do look lost on offense a lot of the time despite often looking individually like players that would do well if there were some kind of offensive system in place. HMMMMMM is what I'm saying. HMMMMMMM

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2016 07:51AM

I felt the team looked tired against Dartmouth; all game long!!

I wondered if Mike had been practicing them too hard. Whatever the case, they better find a way to become rejuvenated tonight against Hahvahd.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.sub-70-209-144.myvzw.com)
Date: January 23, 2016 09:05AM

Maybe this is the team we were told to expect back in October??
But, on a positive note, we did make USCHO!!
Now, I need to decide if I want to make the very long drive in from B-F, Egypt to watch them get battered again?!

help

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2016 09:14AM

i dont think 4 shots is really close to the activity really generated in the 3rd.. it was much more like 10 and we probably took close to 30 shots.

Date: January 24, 2016 02:06PM

Schafer, from the USCHO recap:

"We refuse to stay in front of the net, we refuse to shoot pucks, [and] now we want to make one extra pass as opposed to putting it on net."

Maybe I do know something about hockey, because I've been frustrated with the same things. Maybe after this weekend we can go back to playing dirty goal, pressure-oriented hockey.

Date: January 24, 2016 05:46PM

Scersk '97

"We refuse to stay in front of the net, we refuse to shoot pucks, [and] now we want to make one extra pass as opposed to putting it on net."

Maybe I do know something about hockey, because I've been frustrated with the same things. Maybe after this weekend we can go back to playing dirty goal, pressure-oriented hockey.
Right? I'm glad he noticed and said something and maybe will do something because I was fully prepared to blame this on the guy in the suit.

Posted by: css228 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2016 11:03AM

ugarte
Scersk '97

Right? I'm glad he noticed and said something and maybe will do something because I was fully prepared to blame this on the guy in the suit.

As long as Schafer refuses to realize that the vast majority of this is on his conservative neutral zone style which all but concedes both blue lines, its still on the man in the suit.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2016 01:00PM

css228
ugarte
Scersk '97

As long as Schafer refuses to realize that the vast majority of this is on his conservative neutral zone style which all but concedes both blue lines, its still on the man in the suit.

Did you see the RPI game?

Posted by: Swampy (107.77.165.---)
Date: January 26, 2016 02:15PM

Jim Hyla
css228
ugarte
Scersk '97

I haven't seen any games this season, except highlights. But from what I've read, the RPI game was unusual. Why, I'm not sure. RPI has done better than Dartmouth & Union, yet we dominated RPI.

My one thought on this is that by the time we played tOSU opposing coaches began to see how to exploit our shortcomings.

Any thoughts on this from those of you who've seen us play throughout this season?

Date: January 26, 2016 02:47PM

Swampy
Jim Hyla
css228
ugarte
Scersk '97

I haven't seen any games this season, except highlights. But from what I've read, the RPI game was unusual. Why, I'm not sure. RPI has done better than Dartmouth & Union, yet we dominated RPI.

My one thought on this is that by the time we played tOSU opposing coaches began to see how to exploit our shortcomings.

Any thoughts on this from those of you who've seen us play throughout this season?

Well RPI's PDO is 103 and their possession statistics suck. So maybe they're just not as good as everyone thinks.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2016 10:35PM

Swampy
Jim Hyla
css228
ugarte
Scersk '97

I haven't seen any games this season, except highlights.

See for yourself. Many said Kasdorf stole this game but I think RPI's defense was half the story.

[rpitv.org]

Date: January 27, 2016 09:05AM

css228
ugarte
Scersk '97

If you're going to bitch, at least address the Dartmouth game in the Dartmouth thread. Otherwise, start a new thread——"Fire Schafer," I suggest.

We didn't lose the Dartmouth game because of our neutral-zone play, we lost it because of the things Schafer addressed in his quote, i.e., the things that lead to putting the puck in the net when things aren't bouncing your way. As far as I could see, he was spot on. (Which is probably why we saw Anderson back against Harvard, since we know he's willing to get pounded in front of the net.)

For my money, the only thing I care about, honestly, is pucks on net——not wide, not blocked, but on the damn net. Buckles sat vs. Harvard because, more than any other player on the team, he shoots wide or gets blocked. (Willcox is the other offender.) These tendencies were on display vs. Dartmouth.

To my mind, the difference between this team ending up having a mediocre or reasonably good season can be covered by addressing what Schafer mentioned above. This would require, of course, certain players truly buying into their roles not only on the defensive end of the ice but on the offensive end as well. That is, all players not named Vanderlaan, Kubiak, and Angello or who are not having a good night need to understand that their chief function is to deliver the puck to the opposing goalie and crash the net in such a way as to force a face off. Any goals scored by them are simply bonuses.

Date: January 27, 2016 12:19PM

Scersk '97
css228
ugarte
Scersk '97

If you're going to bitch, at least address the Dartmouth game in the Dartmouth thread. Otherwise, start a new thread——"Fire Schafer," I suggest.

We didn't lose the Dartmouth game because of our neutral-zone play, we lost it because of the things Schafer addressed in his quote, i.e., the things that lead to putting the puck in the net when things aren't bouncing your way. As far as I could see, he was spot on. (Which is probably why we saw Anderson back against Harvard, since we know he's willing to get pounded in front of the net.)

For my money, the only thing I care about, honestly, is pucks on net——not wide, not blocked, but on the damn net. Buckles sat vs. Harvard because, more than any other player on the team, he shoots wide or gets blocked. (Willcox is the other offender.) These tendencies were on display vs. Dartmouth.

To my mind, the difference between this team ending up having a mediocre or reasonably good season can be covered by addressing what Schafer mentioned above. This would require, of course, certain players truly buying into their roles not only on the defensive end of the ice but on the offensive end as well. That is, all players not named Vanderlaan, Kubiak, and Angello or who are not having a good night need to understand that their chief function is to deliver the puck to the opposing goalie and crash the net in such a way as to force a face off. Any goals scored by them are simply bonuses.

Here, here, couldn't agree more. (More than what, I don't know. I always wondered about that expression.) When he announces that he wants the players to shoot more, it's hard to blame the coach, unless there are some, unknown to us, behind the scenes issues. Now if it keeps happening, then you need to look "behind the scenes".

Date: January 27, 2016 08:48PM

Jim Hyla
Scersk '97
css228
ugarte
Scersk '97

Here, here, couldn't agree more. (More than what, I don't know. I always wondered about that expression.) When he announces that he wants the players to shoot more, it's hard to blame the coach, unless there are some, unknown to us, behind the scenes issues. Now if it keeps happening, then you need to look "behind the scenes".
I've beat this drum more than enough times. Puck possession is how you get more shots at a sustainable rate. This means good controlled zone entries, stemming from good breakouts, and preventing the opponent from having the same. A.K.A. dominating the neutral zone. While it may not be the reason for being outshot in any one particular game, when being outshot is a CONSISTENT issue you can be pretty damn sure that your team does't have enough of the puck. Over time, offensive zone or defensive zone performance is not markedly different between talented and untalented players. The difference as you can see from the attached article is that the best players are consistently better in the neutral zone. So yes, the reason this team is mediocre is because we're mediocre in the neutral zone. And yes its up to Schafer to do something about it.

Date: January 27, 2016 09:44PM

Are advanced hockey analytics something that can be reconstructed for past seasons by looking at game tapes? That would be an interesting project.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2016 09:44PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 09:54PM

css228
Jim Hyla
Scersk '97
css228
ugarte
Scersk '97

I've beat this drum more than enough times. Puck possession is how you get more shots at a sustainable rate. This means good controlled zone entries, stemming from good breakouts, and preventing the opponent from having the same. A.K.A. dominating the neutral zone. While it may not be the reason for being outshot in any one particular game, when being outshot is a CONSISTENT issue you can be pretty damn sure that your team does't have enough of the puck. Over time, offensive zone or defensive zone performance is not markedly different between talented and untalented players. The difference as you can see from the attached article is that the best players are consistently better in the neutral zone. So yes, the reason this team is mediocre is because we're mediocre in the neutral zone. And yes its up to Schafer to do something about it.

I will admit I'm not the most knowledgeable guy about hockey metrics. Baseball I can talk all day, but hockey not so much. And some of the ones I've seen I'm skeptical of (Fenwick and Corsi, I'm looking at you. You don't get to slap your name on shots + misses + blocks. Someone should have thought of that already).

I wonder if what works best on the highest level of hockey (the NHL) necessarily works on lower levels. Given the relative lack of skill in college hockey, maybe the values of different strategies or results change.

Date: January 27, 2016 11:40PM

Trotsky
Are advanced hockey analytics something that can be reconstructed for past seasons by looking at game tapes? That would be an interesting project.
Yes this is how the guys at Broad Street Hockey and many of the other excellent analytic focused sites track neutral zone stats. Obviously each stat is somewhat subjective to the individual tracker, but tracking at game speed is near impossible. You need a dvr and a good rewind to track it.

Date: January 27, 2016 11:54PM

css228
While it may not be the reason for being outshot in any one particular game, when being outshot is a CONSISTENT issue you can be pretty damn sure that your team does't have enough of the puck.

Or maybe, JUST MAYBE, it's because your team consistently doesn't shoot when it has the puck.

I've seen many, many games in my time in which we've had the run of play but somehow gotten outshot. Now, sometimes it's when we're facing a Gadowsky-style outside shot fest; other times, I can't explain it.

All I can say is that I can count on two thumbs and one big toe (Angello, Yates, and Buckles) the forwards whose first impulse seems to be to shoot. Angello and Yates should shoot more; Buckles needs to step back a bit. Anderson and Tiitinen both have cannons and great snap shots——I wish both would shoot more. Then there are the "carriers"——Kubiak, Weidner, Knisley, and Hilbrich——and "muckers"——Freschi and Vanderlaan. (Vanderlaan is a very, very talented mucker, by the way. Quite a find.) The carriers need to leave aside this current obsession with useless wraparounds. Hilbrich needs to get hot; Kubiak, who always looks to pass first, needs (somehow still) to get some confidence in himself. Weidner is fine. Knisley needs to stop thinking he's the second coming of Jason Dailey and pass quickly before lanes close up after he circles the net. (The rest of the forwards? I'm not really sure what they are.)

Basically, our shooters need to shoot, our carriers need to learn to shoot more often, and Buckles needs to figure out whether he's a shooter or a mucker.

I'm not even going to start with the defense on O. Let's just say that I remain as baffled as everyone else as to why Willcox is on one of the power play units. I'd sub in Anderson, who should be comfortable at point.

Date: January 27, 2016 11:57PM

Dafatone
css228
Jim Hyla
Scersk '97
css228
ugarte
Scersk '97

I will admit I'm not the most knowledgeable guy about hockey metrics. Baseball I can talk all day, but hockey not so much. And some of the ones I've seen I'm skeptical of (Fenwick and Corsi, I'm looking at you. You don't get to slap your name on shots + misses + blocks. Someone should have thought of that already).

I wonder if what works best on the highest level of hockey (the NHL) necessarily works on lower levels. Given the relative lack of skill in college hockey, maybe the values of different strategies or results change.

So the theory of Fenwick and Corsi is not that shot events are in themselves good events. It is that they are repeatable events, with far greater sample sizes than goals (the most important events in the game). They are proxies for puck possession. In fact Corsi and Fenwick are such good proxies for possession that its pointless to take a stopwatch and time zone time. It also helps to think of it this way.

In any single hockey game, luck (or random chance) is the single biggest determining factor in who wins. But if you are throwing more pucks in the direction of the opposing goal than your opponent is throwing toward yours, over time, the rate at which bounces occur at an average rate. This is why I keep pointing out that guys won't shoot 20% forever, they just don't. When the difference between a goal, a save, and a blocked shot is a few inches either direction, and the shooter is under pressure, the truth is that random chance is usually the determining factor at whether or not the puck gets through (some guys are better at this than others but the difference is negligible). This is not to say take bad shots, but rather that if you put a puck on net you can't really control which blocked shots go to the corner and which ones ricochet of a defender and in. No matter how good a player is sometimes blind luck is just more important.

Now what the supporters of Corsi and Fenwick postulate is that by controlling the puck you're making your own luck over time. The more possession you have the better the chance you're on the favorable side of the bounce, and the less chance the puck is going in off of your shot blocker. People often counter this with the idea that shot quality is more important than quantity, and yes it is obviously true that some shots are better than others. However, there is no evidence of a demonstrated repeatable ability to create better quality shots. It's nice to say we should be able to get the puck open in the high slot more often, but nothing has ever shown that a team can do that repeatedly at a higher rate. The teams that get more of those grade A chances are just teams that generally have more of the puck. The more grade As you get, the more you're bound to score. Likewise, the more the puck is at your offensive end, the less time you spend defending. This means fewer grade As against your team (most of the time). In any one game a hot goalie, bad shooting luck, or special teams may offset a team dominating possession. But you can't really run against the trend forever. Its just a matter of putting your team in a position to have success happen to it.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2016 12:12AM

css228
When the difference between a goal, a save, and a blocked shot is a few inches either direction, and the shooter is under pressure, the truth is that random chance is usually the determining factor at whether or not the puck gets through (some guys are better at this than others but the difference is negligible).

This is clearly untrue in the extreme case (put me out there and see how well I get the puck through). At the NHL level the difference may be negligible but the difference will increase at some rate as you go down in level.

css228
People often counter this with the idea that shot quality is more important than quantity, and yes it is obviously true that some shots are better than others. However, there is no evidence of a demonstrated repeatable ability to create better quality shots.

This doesn't seem to pass the eye test for college hockey. There are definitely seem to be some teams that love to shoot and take bad shots (the Gadowsky example that Scersk cites) and likewise some defensive teams that are better at keeping opposing players out of the slot.

I assume most of the hockey analytics that are available are based on NHL data? I think it's very possible that the trends are different at the college level where there is a bigger spread of talent.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2016 12:30AM

One thing that I've noticed that I don't recall seeing too much of before is guys trying to make an extra pass, to set up what would be an even better shot, instead of just taking the shot. Sure, occasionally the pass is completed successfully, the shot is taken, and the goal scored. But more often than not, that last pass is broken up or the pass isn't handled, etc. If the shot were just taken before that extra pass, it may not be as likely to find the back of the net, but at least it would be a shot taken, which comes with possible rebound opportunities.

The positive to take from this is that the guys are playing with the confidence to try to make that extra pass. Another positive is that if I'm right, and if Coach Schafer agrees, it shouldn't be hard to make the adjustment and have the guys just stop trying to be quite that fancy, and just put the puck on the net.

Date: January 28, 2016 07:36AM

Scersk '97
css228
While it may not be the reason for being outshot in any one particular game, when being outshot is a CONSISTENT issue you can be pretty damn sure that your team does't have enough of the puck.

Or maybe, JUST MAYBE, it's because your team consistently doesn't shoot when it has the puck.

I've seen many, many games in my time in which we've had the run of play but somehow gotten outshot. Now, sometimes it's when we're facing a Gadowsky-style outside shot fest; other times, I can't explain it.

All I can say is that I can count on two thumbs and one big toe (Angello, Yates, and Buckles) the forwards whose first impulse seems to be to shoot. Angello and Yates should shoot more; Buckles needs to step back a bit. Anderson and Tiitinen both have cannons and great snap shots——I wish both would shoot more. Then there are the "carriers"——Kubiak, Weidner, Knisley, and Hilbrich——and "muckers"——Freschi and Vanderlaan. (Vanderlaan is a very, very talented mucker, by the way. Quite a find.) The carriers need to leave aside this current obsession with useless wraparounds. Hilbrich needs to get hot; Kubiak, who always looks to pass first, needs (somehow still) to get some confidence in himself. Weidner is fine. Knisley needs to stop thinking he's the second coming of Jason Dailey and pass quickly before lanes close up after he circles the net. (The rest of the forwards? I'm not really sure what they are.)

Basically, our shooters need to shoot, our carriers need to learn to shoot more often, and Buckles needs to figure out whether he's a shooter or a mucker.

I'm not even going to start with the defense on O. Let's just say that I remain as baffled as everyone else as to why Willcox is on one of the power play units. I'd sub in Anderson, who should be comfortable at point.

I'm assuming that there is some of this. If there weren't cases where the players don't shoot, Schafer wouldn't be expected to say that he wants the players to shoot more. Of course that doesn't discount that there may be ways for them to even have more opportunities to shoot, but they could start by shooting when they have the chance.

God, what a difference compared to the discussions we used to have about fans yelling "Shoot, Shoot" when we're on the PP.crazy

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2016 03:40PM

andyw2100
One thing that I've noticed that I don't recall seeing too much of before is guys trying to make an extra pass, to set up what would be an even better shot, instead of just taking the shot. Sure, occasionally the pass is completed successfully, the shot is taken, and the goal scored. But more often than not, that last pass is broken up or the pass isn't handled, etc. If the shot were just taken before that extra pass, it may not be as likely to find the back of the net, but at least it would be a shot taken, which comes with possible rebound opportunities.

I used to be a lot more frustrated by this than I am now, because now I assume (possibly mistakenly) that those "refused shots" are cases in which there's a high likelihood of a block followed by a counter attack leaving us flat-footed (skated?) and on the wrong end of an odd-man rush. During the worst of last year and 2013 those things happened a lot. We were taking shots, alright -- and we were getting destroyed on the counter.

I'm not happy about a 4-game winless streak but for the most part I like what I see on offense now. At least the general Plan seems to be much healthier -- we are less predictable and not just setting up the same "(1) pull back to point, (2) pass across to other point, (3) pass down low and hope Hillbrich's 45-foot stickspan sweeps it into the net" pattern.

They are more creative, and they have stretches where they look like they know what they're doing. It was paying off early in the season and it isn't now, and I have no idea what changed.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2016 03:41PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 28, 2016 03:44PM

Trotsky
They are more creative, and they have stretches where they look like they know what they're doing. It was paying off early in the season and it isn't now, and I have no idea what changed.
Clearly the key is health. If we just could get a whole bunch of players hurt again we'd do better.

Date: January 28, 2016 03:46PM

KeithK
Trotsky
Clearly the key is health. If we just could get a whole bunch of players hurt again we'd do better.

[looks upward] HE WAS JUST KIDDING NOT AT ALL SERIOUS!!!!1!1!!!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 28, 2016 05:11PM

KeithK
css228
When the difference between a goal, a save, and a blocked shot is a few inches either direction, and the shooter is under pressure, the truth is that random chance is usually the determining factor at whether or not the puck gets through (some guys are better at this than others but the difference is negligible).

This is clearly untrue in the extreme case (put me out there and see how well I get the puck through).
Buddy, you'd never have possession. The stat would be very representative.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2016 05:11PM

Trotsky
andyw2100

I used to be a lot more frustrated by this than I am now, because now I assume (possibly mistakenly) that those "refused shots" are cases in which there's a high likelihood of a block followed by a counter attack leaving us flat-footed (skated?) and on the wrong end of an odd-man rush. During the worst of last year and 2013 those things happened a lot. We were taking shots, alright -- and we were getting destroyed on the counter.

I'm not happy about a 4-game winless streak but for the most part I like what I see on offense now. At least the general Plan seems to be much healthier -- we are less predictable and not just setting up the same "(1) pull back to point, (2) pass across to other point, (3) pass down low and hope Hillbrich's 45-foot stickspan sweeps it into the net" pattern.

I don't really disagree with anything you said. One point, though, is that a lot of people agree that to some extent we really were getting somewhat lucky the first half of the season. Some of that luck was some of these "extra" passes being completed successfully, resulting in goals. If the players are trying more of these perhaps subconsciously because of the success early in the season, it could be (or at least become) an issue.

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: January 28, 2016 08:19PM

KeithK
css228

This is clearly untrue in the extreme case (put me out there and see how well I get the puck through). At the NHL level the difference may be negligible but the difference will increase at some rate as you go down in level.

css228
People often counter this with the idea that shot quality is more important than quantity, and yes it is obviously true that some shots are better than others. However, there is no evidence of a demonstrated repeatable ability to create better quality shots.

This doesn't seem to pass the eye test for college hockey. There are definitely seem to be some teams that love to shoot and take bad shots (the Gadowsky example that Scersk cites) and likewise some defensive teams that are better at keeping opposing players out of the slot.

I assume most of the hockey analytics that are available are based on NHL data? I think it's very possible that the trends are different at the college level where there is a bigger spread of talent.

I wonder about this stuff too, but if you were to compute these based on the shooting stats available for the NCAA I suspect you'd find the difference boils down to higher variance around the advanced metrics.

D-I hockey represents a high level of well-organized play. You aren't talking about a beer league where most teams don't have any concept of support, much less the ability to execute a cycle or carry through the neutral zone, and one really good player will routinely score 5 goals on 12 shots and single-handedly win games despite getting dominated in team possession. Not that this ever happens in my league or anything.

Yes, you get the Paul Kariya types who seem to be able to score at will, but while their quality is clearly on a different level the team concept and execution is still good enough that on average these metrics should tell the same story. The Kariya types effectively increase possession for the team by being able to single-handedly control the puck through the neutral zone and create space to take shots. They seem like they can score at will because they can generate shots at will.

For a team like Cornell, which clearly doesn't have a Kariya-like dominant talent, possession metrics will likely be even more predictive of success.

It would be interesting to compute them over time across the NCAA and see what happens when you replicate some of the studies done on NHL data, but I can't find an easy way to get them without crawling and parsing CHN. I admit I spent all of 10 seconds looking, though, so they're probably more readily available from somewhere.

Date: January 29, 2016 10:15AM

Apropos I just read the following quote of an Italian coach on a USCHO soccer thread.

"One night, I went to a bar, I was with a woman. We talked all night. We laughed, we flirted, I paid for several drinks of hers.

At around 5:00 AM, a guy came in, grabbed her by the arm and took her to the bathroom. He made love to her and she left with him. That doesn't matter though because I had most of the possession on the night."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 10:16AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 29, 2016 10:19AM

Trotsky
Apropos I just read the following quote of an Italian coach on a USCHO soccer thread.

"One night, I went to a bar, I was with a woman. We talked all night. We laughed, we flirted, I paid for several drinks of hers.

At around 5:00 AM, a guy came in, grabbed her by the arm and took her to the bathroom. He made love to her and she left with him. That doesn't matter though because I had most of the possession on the night."

That's one of most amazing things I've ever read.

ETA: Turns out it was Chilean soccer coach Jorge Sampaoli, though.

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 10:21AM by Beeeej.

Date: January 29, 2016 10:27AM

Beeeej
Trotsky

That's one of most amazing things I've ever read.

ETA: Turns out it was Chilean soccer coach Jorge Sampaoli, though.
Oops.

I guess I just instinctively reimagined it as Italian. Either that or I was mixing up "Sampaoli" with "Sampdoria."

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-129.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2016 11:00AM

Trotsky

The difference between puck control, good stick work and a score.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 03:51PM by marty.

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: January 29, 2016 11:52AM

Trotsky

"It was fucking luck!"

- Billy Beane

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: January 29, 2016 12:08PM

A soccer thread on USCHO??

Date: January 29, 2016 12:53PM

nshapiro
A soccer thread on USCHO??
It mostly exists for people to complain that they hate soccer.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2016 02:03PM

Tom Lento
Trotsky

"It was fucking luck!"

- Billy Beane

You guys crack me up. Marty toobananabananabanana

Posted by: Swampy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2016 07:52PM

Trotsky

Then again, see if you relate to this.

"One night, I went to a bar. I ordered a beer and nursed it all night. Across the room was this guy who started talking with a woman. They talked all night. They flirted. He paid for several of her drinks.

Ending: #1: Around 5:00 AM, I went over to her and grabbed her by the arm. She slapped me and told me, "Get lost, creep." Then she took the guy by the arm, took him into the bathroom. They made love and then they left together.

Ending: #2: Around 5:00 AM, I looked for her. They'd already left at 3:00 and were at his place making love.

In either case, in your experience which is more common: having most possession and then scoring or having little possession and then scoring?
wank

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login