Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CU vs Ohio State 12/29/15

Posted by Johnny 5 
CU vs Ohio State 12/29/15
Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 08:32AM

To a Happy New Year!!

cheer
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2015 02:56PM by Johnny 5.

Re: CU vs Ohio State 12/29/15
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 09:50AM

Johnny 5
To a Happy New Year!!

cheer

and why would we celebrate them?

ps. That would make a nice T shirt.

Date: December 29, 2015 10:34AM

Jim Hyla
Johnny 5
To a Happy New Year!!

cheer

and why would we celebrate them?

ps. That would make a nice T shirt.

I try.
Thanks!
GBR!!

rock

Posted by: Cornell '15 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 09:41PM

I'm not watching or listening to the game, just following the E-Lynah Twitter feed... but can someone who's watching the game explain why OSU was up 6-0, but shots on goal were 20-19 OSU, going into the 3rd? What happened???

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2015 09:44PM

Cornell '15
I'm not watching or listening to the game, just following the E-Lynah Twitter feed... but can someone who's watching the game explain why OSU was up 6-0, but shots on goal were 20-19 OSU, going into the 3rd? What happened???

An unusually large percentage of OSU's shots went into the net.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: December 29, 2015 09:48PM

Beeeej
Cornell '15

An unusually large percentage of OSU's shots went into the net.

I got that much, funnily enough. But after how we played yesterday, and how we've been playing all season, how are we getting shut out by a team that's only existed for 3 years, given roughly equal shots on goal? Either a bad night, or the beginning of a spring semester that looks like last year's... hopefully, the former.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 09:51PM

Cornell '15
... how are we getting shut out by a team that's only existed for 3 years, given roughly equal shots on goal?
They've been around since the 60s actually. You must be thinking Penn State (who is actually pretty good so far).

Date: December 29, 2015 09:56PM

KeithK
Cornell '15
... how are we getting shut out by a team that's only existed for 3 years, given roughly equal shots on goal?
They've been around since the 60s actually. You must be thinking Penn State (who is actually pretty good so far).

Have they? This link is a bit confusing then, I guess it's their coach's third year, not their third year in existence... my mistake! Same question though, what the hell is happening right now?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2015 09:59PM

Cornell '15
KeithK
Cornell '15

Have they? This link is a bit confusing then, I guess it's their coach's third year, not their third year in existence... my mistake! Same question though, what the hell is happening right now?

My guess is the combination of an off-night for Gillam, and a day-after letdown from battling the #1 team in the country.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 10:05PM

shot totals were strange.. at one point the video said cornell had 12 shots mid first period. they had at least 8-9 after that on goal but it was 12-11.. shots were pretty even, but two pretty simple ones went in for OSU the first period and cornell had 6-7 A+ shots get stopped, hit a cross bar or missed the net. the 2nd period the D went to sleep the few shots OSU generated were from in close and the made good on them.

the big thing is the speed OSU was able to come thru center with to generate some plays and a few give aways. Cornell was better on the boards but didnt get anything out of most of it. OSU much the better the 2nd period.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 10:06PM

It was a very bad night for both Gillam and Stewart. We had many excellent chances in the first but Frey and/or puck luck denied us.

One thing though was that Ohio State really pushed the play up tempo throughout the game, and our big guys got tired. In the final two periods our guys were outskated and outhustled, which with Schafer probably peeling the paint off the lockerroom wall suggests to me that they might just have had nothing left in the tank.

It happens.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2015 10:06PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 29, 2015 10:10PM

Sounds like just a bad night all around. I'm sure they'll bounce back if that's the case.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2015 08:13AM

Cornell '15
Sounds like just a bad night all around. I'm sure they'll bounce back if that's the case.

I also expect us to bounce back, but we've played over our heads the first part of the season. Realistically we had to come down sometime. There's no way we are yet one of the top 10 programs in the country. We have the potential to get there, but I'm happy if we make a good showing for the rest of the ECAC season, look good in LP (even if we don't win it all) and make the NCAA's.

This was a tough regression to the mean, but maybe better to fall hard in one game, than to drift down slowly.

Posted by: Swampy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2015 10:31AM

Jim Hyla
Cornell '15

I also expect us to bounce back, but we've played over our heads the first part of the season. Realistically we had to come down sometime. There's no way we are yet one of the top 10 programs in the country. We have the potential to get there, but I'm happy if we make a good showing for the rest of the ECAC season, look good in LP (even if we don't win it all) and make the NCAA's.

This was a tough regression to the mean, but maybe better to fall hard in one game, than to drift down slowly.

Well, tOSU is ranked in the forties, and I hope we're better than that. The last two games we showed our Jekyll and Hyde potential. But I can't believe we're 8 goals worse than tOSU. Let's hope the boys learn from the experience, and resume their former track: maybe not yet top 10, but always competitive with the top 10.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 30, 2015 10:45AM

Jim Hyla
There's no way we are yet one of the top 10 programs in the country.

"You are what your record says you are." We're 7th in PWR. Consider that Providence (Win) is 4th, SLU (Win) is 9th, and BU and Yale (Ties) are tied for 11th. I think we actually are one of the top 10 teams in the country.

If we're going to rebound Merrimack is a good opponent. Midtable non-conference opponent who on paper it looks like we should beat -- basically a reprise of OSU. It certainly won't be a trap weekend, now.

I was very happy there was no fighting on other garbage -- the team is obviously much better disciplined. There are ten more days to get other bodies healthy, too.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2015 10:48AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2015 11:13AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

"You are what your record says you are." We're 7th in PWR. Consider that Providence (Win) is 4th, SLU (Win) is 9th, and BU and Yale (Ties) are tied for 11th. I think we actually are one of the top 10 teams in the country.

If we're going to rebound Merrimack is a good opponent. Midtable non-conference opponent who on paper it looks like we should beat -- basically a reprise of OSU. It certainly won't be a trap weekend, now.

I was very happy there was no fighting on other garbage -- the team is obviously much better disciplined. There are ten more days to get other bodies healthy, too.

I had the foresight to attend last night's Army-Merrimack game rather than stay home and watch the debacle in Estero. Army surprisingly beat Merrimack 3-2, although Merrimack was certainly the more skilled team. Army just clogged the neutral zone, played solid defense, and got good play in goal. Merrimack, which has some size, got off to a hot start (including wins against St. Lawrence and BU), but has struggled of late, including losses to UNH (4-2), Union (4-0), and two to Providence (2-1 and 4-0).

Based on what I saw I'd like to think we can take two from them, but it will certainly require two good performances to pull that off.

Date: December 30, 2015 11:16AM

scoop85
Army just clogged the neutral zone, played solid defense, and got good play in goal.
Hey. We can do that! :-}

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.65.---)
Date: December 30, 2015 12:04PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

Looking at the shot attempt metrics in CHN, with all of the usual caveats around single game interpretations, it seems like Cornell should've lost to Providence and beaten OSU. Based on shot attempts they held a decent possession edge over OSU while the game was close, but Providence owned possession throughout.

If you look at their results against the other top 10 teams Cornell has had a fair amount of luck. They might be a top 10 squad, but if so they're at the bottom of that pile. Don't get me wrong, being the worst of the very best sure beats being solidly average. Still, based on the numbers and game reports (and I have nothing else to go on, so thanks all for providing some color), Cornell is up over their heads and the record will most likely revert to something closer to early season expectations.

Even with reversion to the mean in terms of shooting percentages, if Cornell can continue to execute and hold possession over lesser teams while keeping things close against better teams the second half will be fun. Probably not 9-2-2, but fun.

Posted by: KGR11 (207.34.120.---)
Date: December 30, 2015 01:33PM

Trotsky
I was very happy there was no fighting on other garbage -- the team is obviously much better disciplined.

By my count, Cornell, Yale, and UNH are the only teams that have not committed a major or game misconduct penalty.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: December 30, 2015 01:49PM

KGR11
Trotsky
I was very happy there was no fighting on other garbage -- the team is obviously much better disciplined.

By my count, Cornell, Yale, and UNH are the only teams that have not committed a major or game misconduct penalty.

I sense a brawl coming the next time we play Yale. whistle

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2015 01:52PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

Yes we are now, and have been, in the top ten statistically. However, in my mind, that doesn't mean we are one of the top ten programs. For me to say that, we have to have some staying power. A Baker's Dozen games doesn't prove staying power. We've won a large percentage of close games. Hell, we're 3-1-0 in OT games and won 3 others by 1 goal. Aside from Q, we haven't lost a 1 goal game. Now I know that winning the close ones is a sign of a good team, but eventually you have to lose some of those. So while I'm happy with where we are, I wait to declare that this is where we should be.

Date: December 30, 2015 02:29PM

Jim Hyla
Aside from Q, we haven't lost a 1 goal game. Now I know that winning the close ones is a sign of a good team, but eventually you have to lose some of those. So while I'm happy with where we are, I wait to declare that this is where we should be.
I'm hoping we just lost 8 really fast ones to OSU and are now even. :)

Date: December 31, 2015 08:10AM

Kinda like a stock market correction? Right??

thud

Date: December 31, 2015 09:21AM

These are great.

Date: December 31, 2015 09:38AM

Trotsky
These are great.

Thanks!
I try!!

:-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login