Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Colgate games

Posted by ColSkate65 
Colgate games
Posted by: ColSkate65 (---.direcpc.com)
Date: January 30, 2015 12:24PM

I don't see any threads here about this weekend's Colgate-Cornell games. WTH? Both teams have short benches with lots of players dinged up. What is the feeling of Cornell posters about these two games? I know you guys are huge - maybe the tallest team we'll face. If you beat us up, we'll be in bad shape for Saturday's game at Lynah. We have speed, but is it enough against a very good Big Red team? We get Darcy Murphy back after a 2-game DQ; that should help our offense. But missing Spiro Gulakos, Captain & our main D-man will continue to hamper the overall effort. What's the latest on your roster? Any key players coming back for tonight's game?

Re: Colgate games
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2015 12:44PM

I think this kind of says all that needs to be said about the "State of eLynah" these days. Just a few hours before the first game of the Colgate series, and the thread on the games is started by a Colgate fan. WTH indeed!

ColSkate65--I can't tell you much about what players Cornell may have coming back from injury. Cornell has a pattern this year of often winning on Friday night, and then coming up short on Saturday night. Schafer has also been splitting the goal tending quite a bit, so you're likely to see Gillam tonight. After Stewart had a rough game last Saturday, some here think Schafer may go with Gillam, who replaced Stewart midway through the second period last Saturday, the rest of the way.

Thanks for kicking off the discussion for us.

Posted by: MattS (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2015 01:25PM

If Wilcox and/or P. McCarton are healthy then the team will change for the better. Any word on Fiegl?

I wish Schafer would put the Fiegl - Dias - Freschi line back together. I was surprised when he broke them up. I think it was right after what I considered their best game.

Other than that the scoring will come down to how well Bardreau, Hilbrich, Buckles play.

I wonder which ones are going to be the favorite of the Knisley, Yates, Rauter, Tiitinen group.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 01:29PM

They still owe us for 91 and 96.

I'm hoping we can keep it close and steal a point or two this weekend. Colgate is clearly much better than we are, even if the injuries are a push.

OTOH, the virtue of The System (TM) is it tends to keep scores close. While maddening when we're the better team, it could pay off now.

Date: January 30, 2015 01:42PM

Sorry guys about starting this thread and hijacking your board, but I felt the annual rivalry between our teams deserved to be highlighted and commented on. Your last second win over hated Harvard resonated at Starr when the score was announced; I was there. Good for you guys! Our top line of the Spink twins and Kyle Baun is the one to watch and our most potent force. After that we have gaps in the lines - lots of shuffling around, Murphy will help on the second line...(I believe that's where he will be). Your B-H-B line looked very good in the few videos I've seen. Don't try to set me up with a pity party; I know these games are for blood and honor, and you guys are always good. Each team will be fired up by the fans at Starr (sold out) and Lynah on Sat. Should be two exciting games.

Date: January 30, 2015 03:34PM

Gillam is at the top of all stats for goalies in the ECAC, so I know we will have trouble penetrating him if he plays. As I recall Cornell is known to traditionally be a great defensive team, so with Gillam in goal you should be all set. Charlie Finn made a few mistakes last weekend vs. Harvard and his numbers have suffered lately. When he's on his game he's great. It's up and down; still waiting for the consistency in net we thought we'd have this pre-season. Anyone coming to Starr tonight? If so, dress warmly; its blowing and drifting out there.

Date: January 30, 2015 03:38PM

ColSkate65
Anyone coming to Starr tonight? If so, dress warmly; its blowing and drifting out there.
When is Starr's last season? I hoped to make it there once more before the wrecking ball.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 06:19PM

Free Colgate feed

Free Hat
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 06:30PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2015 06:49PM

No free love?dribble

Posted by: abmarks (---.swo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2015 08:19PM

ColSkate65
Sorry guys about starting this thread and hijacking your board, but I felt the annual rivalry between our teams deserved to be highlighted and commented on.

Am I the only one that read this and thought..."what rivalry?"

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: January 30, 2015 08:22PM

Cornell looked about as bad as I have ever seen them on their power play from 10:05-8:05 of the 2nd.

Date: January 30, 2015 08:38PM

abmarks
ColSkate65
Sorry guys about starting this thread and hijacking your board, but I felt the annual rivalry between our teams deserved to be highlighted and commented on.

Am I the only one that read this and thought..."what rivalry?"

It's a rivalry. It's more important to them, but OTOH Yale's more important to Harvard than we are.

Date: January 30, 2015 08:39PM

BearLover
Cornell looked about as bad as I have ever seen them on their power play from 10:05-8:05 of the 2nd.
Yep, that was impressive. EVERY pass was broken up. We looked like mites for awhile.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 08:44PM

Trotsky
BearLover
Yep, that was impressive. EVERY pass was broken up. We looked like mites for awhile.

Quite often this year, I've seen the forwards be careless with the puck for long stretches of the game. When that happens, I wish our current guys would learn to channel those forwards of the past who knew their role was to get the puck down the ice to "deliver" it to the opposing goalie and force an offensive zone faceoff.

(Oatsie! Oatsie! Oatsie!)

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 08:46PM

Colgate possession at the end of the period was nice. Glad we escaped unscathed.

The between-periods graphic on the Colgate feed makes it look like the broadcast is over. What a stupid image.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 08:48PM by ugarte.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 09:01PM

Thanks!

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 09:15PM

and the feed takes a dump with 7 to go..

Posted by: dbilmes (73.182.129.---)
Date: January 30, 2015 09:15PM

ugarte

The between-periods graphic on the Colgate feed makes it look like the broadcast is over. What a stupid image.
At least their video feed is free. Or was free until 9:10, when the screen says the event ended even though there's still 6 minutes to play.

Date: January 30, 2015 09:17PM

that was wierd it just stopped.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 09:25PM

Sure wish I could have seen the OT goal. Encouraging to out-shoot Colgate 12-4 in the 3rd and OT.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2015 09:28PM

They seem to like Friday games more than Saturday games.

Even if the Friday night opponent is a stronger team.

Date: January 30, 2015 09:28PM

the next 3 home games are now really huge.. win tomorrow and we have the tie breakers of colgate and clarkson and a shot at harvard in a few weeks who we could be 2 puts behind 24 hrs from now..

lets play 2 solid games in a row and make next week really give the team to set the table for the stretch run.

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: January 30, 2015 09:29PM

BearLover
...And then they play one of their best periods of the season.

Date: January 30, 2015 09:35PM

That was a nice win. Let's take two, fellas.

Posted by: dbilmes (73.182.129.---)
Date: January 30, 2015 09:37PM

Just out of curiosity, I wonder when the last time was when Cornell won in men's hockey, women's hockey, men's basketball and women's basketball all on the same day.

Date: January 30, 2015 09:39PM

tomorrow

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 09:44PM

Al DeFlorio
Sure wish I could have seen the OT goal. Encouraging to out-shoot Colgate 12-4 in the 3rd and OT.

Too tight a camera angle to see much, there's this. Buckles eventually was given credit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 09:45PM by RichH.

Date: January 30, 2015 09:50PM

RichH
Al DeFlorio

Too tight a camera angle to see much, there's this. Buckles eventually was given credit.

\
I can't figure out that goal at all. But the Knisley goal was done kniiiiiiiicely. [www.facebook.com]

I will not apologize for that.

Date: January 30, 2015 09:52PM

And now Brandon Thomas says that Bliss is getting credit as it was deflected off Colgate #27.

Bliss (Kubiak, Ryan) 0:57 OT

Date: January 30, 2015 10:18PM

RichH
Bliss is getting credit as it was deflected off Colgate #27.
Figured it had to be something like that. Too bad for Finn, he played a great game. But man I'll take it.

Date: January 31, 2015 03:50AM

marty

No free love?dribble

There is a measure of free love. The link for the video feed is still live. You can view the entire third period and yet in an amazing display of goalus interruptus the OT period video ends three seconds before the GWG.cheerthudsmashfreak

Date: January 31, 2015 08:02AM

marty
marty

No free love?dribble

There is a measure of free love. The link for the video feed is still live. You can view the entire third period and yet in an amazing display of goalus interruptus the OT period video ends three seconds before the GWG.cheerthudsmashfreak

More Love

Posted by: drs48 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2015 10:05AM

Skipped through some of the replay.....our puck movement seemed positive....play-by-play seemed fair....did our size work for us in the third, was "Gate getting tired? LGR!!!! Four point weekend!!!

Date: January 31, 2015 10:23AM

I was there. Sorry about the feed; it is a typical Colgate feed that begins at 7 and ends at 9 by computer....no extra time given, sadly...so no OT. The puck in offf a Cornell player, I think Buckles(?). I was impressed with Cornell in the 3rd - you dominated us and we were spent from all the banging. Too many PIM for 'Gate; playing 4x4 takes it toll on the bench, and we were without guys to begin with. Finn made some mistakes and our guys just had to get physical...ugh. Your team is fast when it has to be - muct faster and trickier than I anticipated. Fun game to watch....except for the outcome. Please give us two points tonight at Lynah to keep good Central NY vibes going! I'd even take one point tonight; 'Gate is losing ground as the rest of the teams pass us...yikes.

Overall a fun, exiting game to watch; always a lot of energy at Starr for these games + the Cornell and Gate bands.

In answer to someone's question, Starr has one more season in it.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 31, 2015 10:32AM

ColSkate65
I was there. Sorry about the feed; it is a typical Colgate feed that begins at 7 and ends at 9 by computer....no extra time given, sadly...so no OT. The puck in offf a Cornell player, I think Buckles(?). I was impressed with Cornell in the 3rd - you dominated us and we were spent from all the banging. Too many PIM for 'Gate; playing 4x4 takes it toll on the bench, and we were without guys to begin with. Finn made some mistakes and our guys just had to get physical...ugh. Your team is fast when it has to be - muct faster and trickier than I anticipated. Fun game to watch....except for the outcome. Please give us two points tonight at Lynah to keep good Central NY vibes going! I'd even take one point tonight; 'Gate is losing ground as the rest of the teams pass us...yikes.

Overall a fun, exiting game to watch; always a lot of energy at Starr for these games + the Cornell and Gate bands.

If the feed went out after the 3rd, that'd be silly but have some sort of logic to it. Instead it went out with about 7 minutes left in the third.

Oh well. Some free feed beats no free feed.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2015 10:36AM

I think we all assumed it was just our individual feeds. Yes, a college game typically runs 2:10 from the 7 p.m. start. But throw in overtime (also fish, gum), and why not set the auto feed for 2:30. Didn't we all learn to set the DVR for an extra half hour of any sports event, an extra hour if it was really important?

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2015 10:36AM

Dafatone
ColSkate65

If the feed went out after the 3rd, that'd be silly but have some sort of logic to it. Instead it went out with about 7 minutes left in the third.

Oh well. Some free feed beats no free feed.
Gate fans on USCHO are complaining about the feed cutting out with 7 to go, too, so I suspect that this was an anomaly that they're not accustomed to. Must have been a technical glitch of some kind.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2015 11:01AM

So.... Put the puck on the net and good things can happen. Shoot, dammit. Shoooooot! Accuratelyyyyyyyyy!

Posted by: cuhockey93 (---.sub-70-209-140.myvzw.com)
Date: January 31, 2015 01:09PM

Starr was surprisingly silent for a rivalry game. I can't believe the Cornell fans with the Corn and L weren't being harassed more for all the trash they were talking.

Posted by: jek86 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2015 01:23PM

Any word on Reece Wilcox, I believe injured in the Harvard game?

Date: January 31, 2015 01:54PM

cuhockey93
Starr was surprisingly silent for a rivalry game. I can't believe the Cornell fans with the Corn and L weren't being harassed more for all the trash they were talking.

I was in the "old folks" section which is always pretty quiet. But I thought the students were a bit voiceless - usually much more noise at a CU-Gate game. Maybe it's all the frosh who have not been indoctrinated about these contests yet. Couldn't hear the trash talk from the Corn - L fans, but the two pep bands were into it.

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2015 02:36PM

jek86
Any word on Reece Wilcox, I believe injured in the Harvard game?

Last I heard both him & P. McCarron were "close" to coming back. I think last week Schafer said that maybe one/both might play this weekend. I doubt it now but hopefully next weekend.

Date: January 31, 2015 05:51PM

ColSkate65
cuhockey93

I was in the "old folks" section which is always pretty quiet. But I thought the students were a bit voiceless - usually much more noise at a CU-Gate game. Maybe it's all the frosh who have not been indoctrinated about these contests yet. Couldn't hear the trash talk from the Corn - L fans, but the two pep bands were into it.
The Lynah Faithful came through well on the Colgate broadcast, although that may have been mic placement. I liked that they sat the Cornell pep band in possibly the best acoustical seats in the building. :)

Also: Thundersticks are an abomination against God and Man; please pass it on.

Date: January 31, 2015 10:17PM

I'll take a three point weekend.

Date: January 31, 2015 10:32PM

ugarte

Hell yes.

The 4-9 teams are now separated by two points:
16 Clk (33 PWR)
16 Yal (17)
15 Cgt (21)
15 Cor (26)
14 Drt (31)
14 RPI (42)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2015 10:36PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 31, 2015 10:39PM

did anyone look up the rule on reviewng a handpass?

i believe it is now a reviewable play
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2015 10:45PM by upprdeck.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2015 11:03PM

ugarte
Cornell coming back to win game 1 in OT more satisfying than Colgate coming back in game 2 and settling for a tie. That early season loss at Princeton smarts even more seeing howing close the 4-9 teams stand now.

Date: February 01, 2015 02:34AM

billhoward
ugarte
Cornell coming back to win game 1 in OT more satisfying than Colgate coming back in game 2 and settling for a tie. That early season loss at Princeton smarts even more seeing howing close the 4-9 teams stand now.

That goddamned Princeton game. Princeton was outshot 41-20 and won. They haven't scored 30 goals this season. Absolutely mind-blowing.

I'll be there next weekend. We better own that game.

Date: February 01, 2015 09:14AM

RichH
That goddamned Princeton game. Princeton was outshot 41-20 and won. They haven't scored 30 goals this season. Absolutely mind-blowing.

I'll be there next weekend. We better own that game.

Jason mentioned several times during the weekend that the players feel they have ahem unfinished business with both Q and P. Hopefully we'll see Willcox and McCarron back for those games, but let's hear it for our 5-man D corps this weekend! They must have been gassed by the end, but they were still efficient and effective. When Bliss went down briefly on Friday they must have shit themselves.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2015 09:15AM by Trotsky.

Date: February 01, 2015 04:55PM

billhoward
ugarte

Colgate coming back to tie game 2 more satisfying that Cornell winning game 1 in OT...LOL. A 1-pt weekend for 'Gate ain't gonna do it. Right now I'd bet on Cornell to rise to the top of the league if they continue the way they're playing. Things seem to be jelling for you guys; should make some noise in the playoffs..and maybe LP? Our team is going in the opposite direction...sad. Well, it's been real visiting your board. Thx.

Date: February 01, 2015 05:38PM

ColSkate65
billhoward
ugarte

Colgate coming back to tie game 2 more satisfying that Cornell winning game 1 in OT...LOL. A 1-pt weekend for 'Gate ain't gonna do it. Right now I'd bet on Cornell to rise to the top of the league if they continue the way they're playing. Things seem to be jelling for you guys; should make some noise in the playoffs..and maybe LP? Our team is going in the opposite direction...sad. Well, it's been real visiting your board. Thx.

'Gate without Spiro Goulakos is another team. Hew really holds them together, particularly on special teams. If/when he gets back they'll be fine. Good luck the rest of the RS.

Posted by: MattS (---.sub-70-209-131.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2015 06:42PM

For the life of me I can't understand the whole defence thing on Saturday. What the hell is the point of dressing Stoick and then don't play him?

I can see (but don't agree) the whole not trusting him thing. But is he really that much worse than Ryan after he played a whole 2 min PK then is back in for the next shift after a 45 second rest?

I'm a believer that the more tired a player gets the more likely he is to get hurt. Where would the team be if Ryan was added (again) to the hurt defensive corp? I suppose stuck with Stoick who obviously a player who is slightly better than club.

Anyway, pretty decent game. Fiegl's misconduct wasn't the smartest. And the Dias penalty on that hit was BS. McCarron's tip was one of the nicest I've seen in a while. Bardreau is still playing in excellent form and I thought Knisley played well after sitting last weekend for a game. He used his speed well.

Date: February 01, 2015 10:38PM

I thought colgate really stepped it up after the disallowed goal.. up til then cornell was really controlling play. both colgate goals came off lost faceoffs the first one was killer as it just sat in the dot forever before the shot and rolled in

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2015 11:13AM

With the goalie that they have, the team has top ten potential. Thinking back to good ol' '97, other teams have done much more with much less.

What they've seemed to lack, so far, is a collective "iron" will. I think we might have begun to see that this weekend. I'm quite happy.

Date: February 02, 2015 11:46AM

Scersk '97
What they've seemed to lack, so far, is a collective "iron" will. I think we might have begun to see that this weekend. I'm quite happy.
There have been other glimpses: against Union they won a staring contest, and against Harvard they didn't let up despite an emotional roller coaster.

Q's going to be a big test. They're the hottest team in the league right now, and despite the score they really ran us ragged in the first meeting. Our two terrible match-ups in conference are they and SLU, and the odds are we will need to go through at least one of them to win in Lake Placid, so this game could be an ideal test case of a later meeting.

Date: February 02, 2015 03:32PM

if we get to top 4 the chances go way up we dont see one of them.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2015 04:13PM

upprdeck

Why? Do you mean we'd only see one of them? With that I'd agree. I don't think it's likely that both of them would be knocked out.

Date: February 02, 2015 05:31PM

upprdeck

They go up, yes. I don't know about "way up." Assuming they are 1 and 2, we're probably looking at one in the SF and the other in the F.

If you're lobbying for us reaching the top 4, I do not think you'll get much resistance. cheer
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2015 05:32PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: February 02, 2015 05:36PM

Trotsky
Q's going to be a big test. They're the hottest team in the league right now, and despite the score they really ran us ragged in the first meeting.

Barely on-topic, but Sam Anas was quoted after the Q-Y game:

[www.nhregister.com]

“The biggest thing for us? That felt like a playoff game,” said Quinnipiac sophomore wing Sam Anas, who scored both his team’s goals. “That and Cornell are the two most playoff (like) atmospheres we’ve played in this year. Our mindset going into the third period was to play that 20 minutes like it was our last 20 minutes of the year.”

A reminder that Q outshot us 19-1 in the 3rd in Hamden.

Date: February 02, 2015 07:06PM

RichH
A reminder that Q outshot us 19-1 in the 3rd in Hamden.

Seems familiar.

Date: June 26, 2015 09:47AM

Closest we've got to a Colgate thread. Construction camera is up for the Starr replacement. Currently featuring a prominent view of the porto potty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login