Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

WTF???

Posted by Section A 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: WTF???
Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 31, 2003 07:10PM

I don't have a story to compare. But though it certainly sounds like you may have inspired the cheer, you really can't take credit for making it a tag-on to "C-ya!" - that was done by those that were "laughing at the crazy woman." Maybe my friend was in that group.

Re: AA News
Posted by: Ninian '72 (165.224.63.---)
Date: April 01, 2003 02:32PM

Nice touch, bandies. I guess the Notre Dame stuff on Sunday was part of a long tradition. The band kind of missed the mark in Ann Arbor, though. In Michigan, only the MSU folks take that rivalry seriously. (Woof!) The Ohio State stuff runs a lot deeper. I spent a few years in Ann Arbor after leaving Cornell and am a fan of both these teams. (Yost is about as close to Lynah in atmosphere as you can get, maybe even louder, because it's bigger.) I will be cheering for both of them to make it to the finals. Put these two teams and their fans together, and the place will rock. No divided loyalties here if it happens. GO RED! Now we need to ask Jeff Lehman where he stands on this one. :-D

Posted by: arik marks '91 (155.44.2.---)
Date: April 01, 2003 04:42PM

Miscellaneous cheer/Michigan references:

Having helped organize the prp band trip out to the '91 series at Michigan and then ending up at Michigan for grad school in '97 I've got a bit more detail on the history.

Personally, I blame Doug Onsi '90 for having lots of the cheers stolen over by UM. Doug was finishing his first year of law school there during that series and I'm sure he made a concerted effort during that year and afterwards to teach bring the CU cheers to the Yosties.

Yes, we did play the MSU fight song during the third game of the series. In fact we spent an entire day trying to find the music to the damn thing. And we heard the loudest boos I've ever heard when we broke into it with about 10 minutes left in the game down by several goals. In retrospect OSU's fight song would've been more fun, but we got plenty of reaction. We made sure to high-tail it out of there after playing the MSU fight song again in the closing minutes.....

And finally, on the ahhh see ya cheer: By spring 1999, the cheer at yost goes something like this if memory serves (I never could remember it exactly) . While it was ahhh, see ya in 1991, the 99 version was ahhhh, see ya, asshole, geek, nerd, fag, douuuuuuchebag (elongated), followed by a rather emphatic *bitch* as the finale. (again, i could have the order and words mixed up but you get the idea.) Interestingly enough, the volume dimmed as each word went by - only the hardcore had the whole thing down!

Arik

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: April 01, 2003 06:31PM

Wasn't there a "Wildfong bastard" in there somewhere?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: April 01, 2003 06:44PM

Hey, you remember things however you want to. What I remember is that I started it in '91-92, when I was still in Section B and the "C-ya" cheer was still brand-new; AFAIR there hadn't been a single yell of "asshole" yet.

By the way, who are you? You're a brand-new poster and have no personal info on your profile. I like to know who loves me. :-D

Beeeej

Posted by: Scersk (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: April 02, 2003 10:58AM

Hmmm... time to put on my townie hat and add some more context.

My first Lynah memories are from 1985 when my Cub Scout troop watched the team play Western Ontario, the first game of the season. For some reason, that particularly good team only squeaked out a 5-4 OT victory, but, nonetheless, I was hooked pretty early.

I've seen our penalty traditions mutate over the years. I list, in succession: a constant chant of "asshole! asshole! asshole!"; "Aaaaaaaaah, see-ya! Asshole."; "Aaaaaaaaah, see-ya! You goon..."; and, finally, the current "Aaaaaaaaa, see-ya! Murmurmur... You murmurmur...". My preference has always been for switching between numbers two and three according to the offence, with number one reserved for the worst offenders. As usual, it would be better for us to decide on something and really YELL it.

Posted by: yougoon (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2003 11:29AM

[Q] Author: big red apple
Date: 03-31-03 19:10

I don't have a story to compare. But though it certainly sounds like you may have inspired the cheer, you really can't take credit for making it a tag-on to "C-ya!" - that was done by those that were "laughing at the crazy woman." Maybe my friend was in that group.[/Q]
[Q] Author: Jeffrey "Beeeej" Anbinder '94
Date: 04-01-03 18:44
By the way, who are you? You're a brand-new poster and have no personal info on your profile. I like to know who loves me.
[/Q]
I got to thinking about it, and yes, you are right, I can't lay claim to starting the cheer because I didn't "institutionalize" it. I will now tell my friends that I only "inspired" the YOU GOON cheer. Your friend David must have been one of the three guys laughing at me. :`( I am new to this board, but I've been watching Cornell Hockey for, uh, let's just say, decades. This is the best hockey I've ever seen them play. Thank you Schaf!

wildfong
Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2003 05:07PM

yep, when i was there for a game - i think 98???? - it was there. it was after playing colgate right? wildfong did some things the yosties didnt like.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: April 02, 2003 07:29PM

Dude, I was asking who you are because I wanted to know, not because I was calling you on the carpet. Seriously - the credit's yours. It's not like anybody cares besides us anyway. nut

So - who are you?

Beeeej

Posted by: Greenberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2003 07:36PM

arik marks '91 wrote:

Yes, we did play the MSU fight song during the third game of the series. In fact we spent an entire day trying to find the music to the damn thing. And we heard the loudest boos I've ever heard when we broke into it with about 10 minutes left in the game down by several goals. In retrospect OSU's fight song would've been more fun, but we got plenty of reaction. We made sure to high-tail it out of there after playing the MSU fight song again in the closing minutes.....

Arik

That reminds me (forgive me if this has been covered)... why the Notre Dame fight song against BC?

-Greenberg '97

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2003 07:48PM

Greenberg wrote:

That reminds me (forgive me if this has been covered)... why the Notre Dame fight song against BC?

If you follow college football, BC has a pretty decent rivalry with Notre Dame. They're 2 of the biggest Catholic schools in the country, and is always a big game on each school's schedule. BC has played some memorable games in upsets of strong Notre Dame teams. It's similar to how the CU pep band plays "Anchors Away" for when we play any Army team, and how we played the Mich. St. fight song at Michigan in the '91 tournament.

The general BC reaction was "why are you doing that? We beat Notre Dame!!" which probably means it hit some deeply buried nerve. Since there is no BC-ND rivalry in hockey, and BC has had the better of the ND rivalry, the joke avoided any acrid reaction, but it's still funny to me.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2003 09:20PM

Rich Hovorka '96 wrote:

Greenberg wrote:

The general BC reaction was "why are you doing that? We beat Notre Dame!!" which probably means it hit some deeply buried nerve. Since there is no BC-ND rivalry in hockey, and BC has had the better of the ND rivalry, the joke avoided any acrid reaction, but it's still funny to me.
Maybe the general reaction, but I know that there was some specific adverse reaction.

At the end of the third period an old guy came up to me and my group with the intention of taunting us ["How does it feel? You have the best team in the country, BC played as well as they could possibly play, and you are one bounce away from going home. Nervous?"] Since we didn't really take the bait, we ended up talking about the game in general.

He was really impressed with the band and the fan support. He also said "You really got us going with the Notre Dame fight song. We hate those f***ing guys even more than BU!"

Post Edited (04-02-03 21:21)

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login