Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Blaeser/Moy - Perfection or Monkeys got lucky?

Posted by neil shapiro 
Blaeser/Moy - Perfection or Monkeys got lucky?
Posted by: neil shapiro (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 22, 2003 11:40PM

I can't imagine picking 4 straight games perfectly...but they did it! They correctly predicted the score of all 4 games at the Pepsi!! Do they deserve the credit or is it a case of make enough predictions and by dumb luck eventually some will be right?

Seriously, I think they are to be congratulated...too bad for them they can't use this to sell their spreads in the future, since I don't think there is much of a betting line on college hockey.

Re: Blaeser/Moy - Perfection or Monkeys got lucky?
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 22, 2003 11:47PM

All I can say is: after the results of the first three games, when Cornell scored the tying goal to make it 2-2, I felt pretty good about the outcome. nut

Posted by: Brian (---.resnet.emory.edu)
Date: March 23, 2003 09:55AM

I think it's safe to say that DeLoreans and sports almanacs are somehow involved.

1.21 gigwatts!!

Posted by: CUlater '89 (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 24, 2003 01:05AM

I think it shows the benefit of a Stuyvesant High School education (Jayson Moy, class of '85)

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2003 02:03AM

The article gets the analysis right, but it could have been much tighter. It looks like a Stuyvesant education to me also. ;-)

-big red apple (Bronx HS of Science '88)

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 24, 2003 06:08AM

BRA, It can't be the Stuyvesant education. Therefore, it must be the monkeys typing Shakespeare.

ursaminor (Bronx HS of Science '64)

Posted by: CUlater '89 (---.rasserver.net)
Date: March 24, 2003 10:47PM

Oooh, ganging up. I guess that's the only way Bronx Science people can match up with Stuyvesant alums (class of '85, and commuter with Jayson too).

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 24, 2003 11:22PM

Am I the only person on this forum who went to an honest, salt of the earth, workin' man's public high school?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 24, 2003 11:25PM

Greg wrote:

Am I the only person on this forum who went to an honest, salt of the earth, workin' man's public high school?

Nope.

Date: March 24, 2003 11:48PM

Stuyvesant and Bronx Science are, of course, public high schools. As for honest... I'll have to take the fifth on that one. :-D

Date: March 25, 2003 12:29AM

CUlater '89 wrote:

Stuyvesant and Bronx Science are, of course, public high schools. As for honest... I'll have to take the fifth on that one. :-D
And BxSci was very much a working man's high school. Seemed to be the case with Stuy also, but because it was in Manhattan it seemed to have more Manhattanites - BxSci was very boroughs.

And I took you on by myself. But it isn't surprising that ursaminor had my back. We take care of our own, and you are all alone. B-]

Post Edited (03-25-03 00:30)

Posted by: French Rage (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2003 12:42AM

If we're talking public high schools, why are we discussing all these pretenders to the crown? (TJHSST, '00)

Posted by: Will (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2003 12:55AM

I went to public high school and enjoyed every minute of it. Westwood '99, baby!

Date: March 25, 2003 10:40PM

Queens in the house, baby! (of course, now I've reversed my parents' travels and have returned to the land of their births, Brooklyn)

Interestingly, I knew a number of people who lived in NJ, but used Manhattan addresses so they could attend. Did that happen at Bronx Science too?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2003 11:17PM

I coulda sworn you were gonna say it was the RPI education. :-}

Date: March 26, 2003 12:38AM

I knew a few people from Westchester. I can't say that I knew of any that lived in NJ.

Sorry about this very parochial thread drift. Hey, JTW - now you know how I feel when I click through and end up reading a post about semipro baseball in Sweden! ;-)

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 26, 2003 01:05AM

FWIW - I went to Hunter High ('89) and knew a few people who lived in either NJ or Westchester but used NYC addresses to keep attending.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 26, 2003 04:25AM

Josh,

It could be the RPI education. ;-)

Jayson and I had an email exchange some time ago in which he insisted that Stuyvesant has always been a better rated school than BHSS. Stuyvesant certainly appears to take more awards these days than BHSS, but this wasn't the case in the 1960's. BHSS suffered from the fact that the Bronx, its main source of students, became a war zone. I was one of 44 students in BHSS'64, a class of about 850, from Queens. Now the school is over half from Queens. Also, when I was in HS, BHSS was coed and Stuyvesant was not which meant that BHSS had a larger pool of potential students. Furthermore, now Stuyvesant is the one with a new, modern building.

Just remember that when Daniel Libeskind (BHSS'65), the architect who designed the new WTC for NYC, was asked whether he was part of the grand conspiracy of Bronx Science graduates to rule the world, he replied noncommitally and only stated "It's a wonderful school; you meet so many people who have gone there." [www.nytimes.com] :-D

Sorry for continuing this off-topic conversation, but sadly for me, it's off-season. :`(

Post Edited (03-26-03 06:09)

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 26, 2003 06:22AM

Not at all, Greg. I went to a public high school in the hills of East Tennessee (dropout rate ~20%) - and arrived at Cornell with 27 AP credits in my pocket. School is way more about what you put into it than what it "puts into" you.....

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2003 07:20AM

BigRed Apple wrote:
Sorry about this very parochial thread drift. Hey, JTW - now you know how I feel when I click through and end up reading a post about semipro baseball in Sweden! ;-)
Switzerland, dude, not Sweden.

I haven't joined in because I doubt anyone here has even heard of Poughkeepsie Day School. Although I did meet the brother of a PDS alum at a conference last week.

Date: March 26, 2003 08:06AM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:
Switzerland, dude, not Sweden.
Of course. How embarrassing. I shouldn't post at the end of the day on so little sleep. As for "Sweden" it must be playoff fever. I've got Murray on my mind. . .

Re: Poughkeepsie Day School
Posted by: Ken Deschere (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2003 09:26AM

Having gone to the local public schools there (through HS at Poughkeepie HS) and with a son now at Vassar, I'm one person who knows the Day School and holds it in high regard. Did you commute from Kingston or did you live on the East side of the Hudson back then?

Ken '71

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.stanford.edu)
Date: March 26, 2003 11:43AM

Me, McKinley High School, downtown Honolulu. And I was the only public school student from Hawaii to Cornell in the Class of '87.

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 26, 2003 12:48PM

That is because 99 out of 100 students who choose Ithaca's weather over Honolulu's are certifiable. The admissions office must have sensed the hockey fan in you.

Re: Poughkeepsie Day School
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 26, 2003 04:06PM

Commuted from Kingston. (I was originally supposed to go to Ulster Academy before they folded.) Six years by bus/van and my senior year by car. I listened to a lot of WPDH. B-]

Posted by: EZ '02 (---.bu.edu)
Date: March 26, 2003 04:36PM

Stop wasting our time showing off about your public schools. You get what you pay for. If you didn't believe that you would have gone to CUNY instead of Cornell. (Andover) :-P

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2003 07:51PM

Screw BU. ::flipb::

- Matt, Northport '99

Date: March 26, 2003 08:07PM

My roommate freshman year was from Hawaii and a housemate junior yeat was as well. They each had a handful of high school classmates who chose Cornell too. But the only one of my friends who complained about the climate was a roommate from Flagstaff, AZ nut

Date: March 26, 2003 08:13PM

In the '80s, Stuyvesant was considered the better school, if you judge by the cutoff scores for the exams and the number of applicants who put Stuyvesant as their first choice. That seems to me to be the only realistic way to judge how schools like that rate, since awards and the like are influenced by so many outside factors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login