Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Game 1: Cornell 2, Clarkson 1

Posted by ugarte 
Game 1: Cornell 2, Clarkson 1
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 09:38PM

Poll
Is this a good or bad result?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
45 votes were received.
Good 44

98%
Bad 1

2%

OK, now someone who watched it can talk about it.

Re: Game 1: Cornell 2, Clarkson 1
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 10:04PM

Ivy Leaguers could handle more than 2 voting options. 2-0 for Iles' first senior-year shutout or 3-1 (not ENG 3-1) would have been a good result. 2-1 final giving up the breakaway --> penalty shot and getting penalized during our 5-min PP gives Clarkson hope it can come back Saturday. Tonight was an OK result in a game where we were favored.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 10:36PM

Was the penalty shot the correct call? i dont think in the pro's it would even be a penalty and the college rule is somewhat different but it seemed to be a delayed call for what was deemed a penalty shot..

Posted by: ScrewBUHarvardtoo (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2014 10:36PM

We generally played pretty well, but had a few very lucky bounces in front of a net, and were completely gifted a penalty call with 1:48 to go that put us on a power play, and essentially clinched the game. Andy should've had that penalty shot, but generally played pretty well, especially after a Clarkson player knocked him in the head while he was out of the box (he was eventually ejected). We also scored on the ensuing major power play! First time we've had a PP goal at Lynah since Bardreau's 5 on 3 PP goal against Colgate back in December I believe. But Clarkson didn't exactly bring their A game, except for at the end of the second period. I feel somewhat confident about tomorrow, but honestly with this team you never know

Date: March 14, 2014 10:40PM

the way cornell played for much of the first period we could have easily won this game 6-2. we also had a couple good chances stopped because the ref mistakenly blew the puck dead, missed the empty net and the big guy missed the net on a nice move with a few min left that would have sealed the game.

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 11:12PM

Penalty shot was the correct call - And the guy made a good move slipping puck in on Andy. I was more worried about the number of times we gave the puck away or turned it over at our blue line area. A better team would have burned us more than Clarkson could! On the other hand we looked very good for stretches but when we pulled back to mostly a half ice defensive alignment most of second half of game - got a bit worried...
and the Clarkson goalie gave up a whole lot of big rebounds. we just missed on several great chances. Game was up and down the ice a lot but i WAS impressed with the Big Red's effort and skating most of the game! MacDonald was a beast with the puck in the offensive zone most of the night.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 11:19PM

profudge
Penalty shot was the correct call

Speaking of which, that makes 4 penalty shots against us this year.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 11:20PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2014 12:56AM

Trotsky
profudge
Penalty shot was the correct call

Speaking of which, that makes 4 penalty shots against us this year.
And six goals against since our last. Unbelievable.

Posted by: KGR11 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2014 01:49AM

After tonight, we have the 8th best scoring defense, but still do not have a shutout against a D-I opponent. This is an interesting anomaly given how late in the season it is. Here are the other teams without a D-I shutout and their respective scoring defense rank:

Lake Superior: 47th
Boston University: 48th
Princeton: 56th
Alabama-Huntsville: 59th

Date: March 15, 2014 07:52AM

KGR11
After tonight, we have the 8th best scoring defense, but still do not have a shutout against a D-I opponent. This is an interesting anomaly given how late in the season it is.
It's also notable because we have had at least one shutout every year Schafer has been coach.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 07:53AM by Trotsky.

Date: March 15, 2014 08:47AM

Im still not clear on why it was a penalty shot.. one part of the rule is that the player must be in control of the puck.. the clarkson player had no control of the puck as the cornell player made a clean play on the puck and knocked it away well before the trip happened.a second part of the rule is that the foul must occur from behind, it clearly happened from the side as the players tried to gain the angle on each other.

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 15, 2014 08:48AM

profudge
MacDonald was a beast with the puck in the offensive zone most of the night.

Agreed.... By the third period, I was really hoping he would get a goal. He sure earned it!!

Date: March 15, 2014 10:35AM

I was really pleased with how many quality scoring chances we created last night. given we cant seem to finish, but still we looked fast to the puck and made some really nice passes, but until this team ever learns to finish every game will be a struggle.

Date: March 15, 2014 11:06AM

upprdeck
until this team ever learns to finish
I wonder whether (1) this is a thing, and (2) it can be learned. Players definitely have different scoring skills. If you give Nieuwy and Etienne Belzile the puck in the same position with the same amount of time, the probability of a goal will vary.

So assuming that's what finishing is, it exists, but can it be taught or is that like saying "as soon as Etinenne Belzile learns how to be Nieuwy, he'll score more."

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-5.myvzw.com)
Date: March 15, 2014 11:12AM

Trotsky
upprdeck
until this team ever learns to finish
I wonder whether (1) this is a thing, and (2) it can be learned. Players definitely have different scoring skills. If you give Nieuwy and Etienne Belzile the puck in the same position with the same amount of time, the probability of a goal will vary.

So assuming that's what finishing is, it exists, but can it be taught or is that like saying "as soon as Etinenne Belzile learns how to be Nieuwy,r he'll score more."

I am not sure of it can be taught but I think some players learn to finish. Some never improve in this and every other facet once they hit their plateau.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2014 12:18PM

Observations of my first playoff game at Lynah since we beat Yale in 1985 (thanks for the reminder, TBRW):

Even with all the discussion about attendance issues this year, I was surprised at the large pockets of empty seats, especially in sections D, E, and F. The students took awhile to get there, but they did fill in A and B nicely. The crowd that attended did get into the game, and the students were appropriately rowdy.

Walking into the rink I saw Mowrey in his civies talking on his phone; I knew that was not good news. We'll certainly miss his offense if he doesn't get back to the ice, and someone is going to need to step up.

As for the game, it was an entertaining tilt. Lots of back-and-forth, with Cornell having the edge in the 1st and 3rd, Clarkson having the better of it in the 2nd. Given the teams' styles -- and Casey seems to be making Clarkson a fair copy of Cornell -- not a huge number of Grade A chances either way, but I thought Cornell had the edge in quality scoring opportunities.

After falling behind so often recently, it was a relief to get the first one. Gotovets made a nice play to creep in from the blue line and clean up a juicy rebound.

I had a great view of the hit on Iles, and it was a stupid cheap shot. We were sitting right next to the Clarkson penalty box, and when Josephs came off the ice he seemed to have a satisfied smirk on his face. He was appropriately berated by the crowd, and it was satisfying to see him get tossed. Even better was that we scored just 13 seconds into the penalty.

The refs, well, they were pretty typical of ECAC officiating standards -- lots of inconsistency there.

Iles had a solid game, and the Clarkson kid made a nice play on the penalty shot to tuck it between Iles' legs.

Except for the first couple of minutes of the 3rd when Clarkson came out strong, I thought we did a real nice job keeping the puck in their zone and getting some quality chances, especially Hilbrich who I thought had one in the bag. Not many scary moments in that period in our end, even when CLarkson had the power play.

I thought MacDonald was our best player on the night, knowing the right time to jump into the play. He's blossoming into an excellent 2-way defenseman, and whatever he's putting in his corn flakes I hope he shares with his teammates.

Tonight we have to clean-up some of the turnovers around our blue line that especially plagued us in the 2nd period. It won't be a cakewalk, but hopefully we have a bit more offense and the edge in net so that we can take care of business and avoid a game 3.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2014 08:38PM

the refs blow another game, cool

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login