Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC Playoffs

Posted by Jim Hyla 
ECAC Playoffs
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2014 12:08AM

Poll
Where will Cornell Finish
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
34 votes were received.
First 5

15%
Second 8

24%
Third 11

32%
Fourth 3

9%
Not at Lake Placid 7

20%

From ECAC Site

FIRST-ROUND (Friday, March 7 - Sunday, March 9 - Best-of-three)
No. 12 Princeton at No. 5 Clarkson
No. 11 Harvard at No. 6 Yale
No. 10 Dartmouth at No. 7 Rensselaer
No. 9 Brown at No. 8 St. Lawrence

QUARTERFINALS (Friday, March 14 - Sunday, March 16 - Best-of-three)
TBD at No. 1 Union
TBD at No. 2 Colgate
TBD at No. 3 Quinnipiac
TBD at No. 4 Cornell

FRIDAY, MARCH 21 (SEMIFINALS)
Semifinal No. 1 - 4 p.m.; Semifinal No. 2 - 7:30 p.m.

SATURDAY, MARCH 22 (CHAMPIONSHIP GAME)
Championship Game - 7:30 p.m.

Re: ECAC Playoffs
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2014 01:06AM

There is no Dana (4th). Only Zuul (3rd).

Posted by: gatefan (---.hotspotsvankpn.com)
Date: March 02, 2014 05:19AM

Jim Hyla
From ECAC Site

FIRST-ROUND (Friday, March 7 - Sunday, March 9 - Best-of-three)
No. 12 Princeton at No. 5 Clarkson 2-0
No. 11 Harvard at No. 6 Yale 2-1 (OT Game 3)
No. 10 Dartmouth at No. 7 Rensselaer 2-1
No. 9 Brown at No. 8 St. Lawrence 2-1

QUARTERFINALS (Friday, March 14 - Sunday, March 16 - Best-of-three)
Dartmouth at No. 1 Union
Brown at No. 2 Colgate
Yale at No. 3 Quinnipiac
Clarkson at No. 4 Cornell

FRIDAY, MARCH 21 (SEMIFINALS)
Semifinal No. 1 - 4 p.m.; Semifinal No. 2 - 7:30 p.m.

SATURDAY, MARCH 22 (CHAMPIONSHIP GAME)
Championship Game - 7:30 p.m.

My picks so far.

P.S. Any idea on when they decided to eliminate the consolation game? Thank God they did. Being a consolation veteran, there's nothing worse than having to play it. Even if an NCAA bid is on the line, as will probably be the case this year if the top 4 seeds make it to Placid.

Date: March 02, 2014 10:14AM

gatefan
P.S. Any idea on when they decided to eliminate the consolation game? Thank God they did. Being a consolation veteran, there's nothing worse than having to play it. Even if an NCAA bid is on the line, as will probably be the case this year if the top 4 seeds make it to Placid.

1. Risk of injury or DQ.
2. Risk bubble team loses to Cinderella and costs ECAC a bid.
3. Losing coaches and players can lick their wounds (or whatever) at home.
4. Extra rest day for NCAA.

tl;dr: the only consequences of this otherwise inconsequential game were bad consequences.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2014 10:15AM by Trotsky.

Re: ECAC Playoffs - why no consolation game
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2014 10:21AM

Long ago, Wisconsin sent several dozen busloads of fans to the NCAAs at Boston Garden and wound up playing in the consolation game where their fans numbered in the thousands, beating IIRC Denver whom Cornell had clobbered 7-2. The exuberant Wisconsin fans (that may have been when the Massachusetts drinking age was 18) stomped and cheered Best in the West maybe a thousand times in the third period. So there is a reason for a consolation game. Does anyone recall a similar show of enthusiasm for consolations since

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 09:20AM

The Vermont fans seemed pretty enthused in 1996. They even marched to the rink. Of course, they had had to reschedule the start time for the march...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 09:20AM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 03, 2014 10:17AM

A similar thing happened in 1981.

Clarkson played Providence in the first semi. Clarkson had a 3-1 lead with about a minute left and a lot of their fans left. Providence pulled the goalie twice, scored twice, then won 4-3 in OT.

When a lot of the Clarkson fans showed up Saturday night, their game was almost over. Tee hee.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: March 03, 2014 11:26AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Clarkson played Providence in the first semi. Clarkson had a 3-1 lead with about a minute left and a lot of their fans left. Providence pulled the goalie twice, scored twice, then won 4-3 in OT.

When a lot of the Clarkson fans showed up Saturday night, their game was almost over. Tee hee.

It's beyond the realm of my comprehension why you would pass up an opportunity to hear the horn sound and celebrate a win in a big playoff game. It's a little more understandable to explain "beat-the-traffic" fans if things aren't going well.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: March 04, 2014 11:55AM

RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82

It's beyond the realm of my comprehension why you would pass up an opportunity to hear the horn sound and celebrate a win in a big playoff game. It's a little more understandable to explain "beat-the-traffic" fans if things aren't going well.
Not beyond comprehension: Clarkson fans not buying a newspaper.

Date: March 04, 2014 01:26PM

ugarte
RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82

Not beyond comprehension: Clarkson fans not buying a newspaper.

+1

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 05, 2014 02:35PM

One of the Colgate posters was playing the PWR and determined that winning their QF in 3 would force them to win the auto in order to qualify. Assuming the ECAC nuked the Consy due to NCAA effects, I wonder if they would go further and restrict the playoffs to the top 8, or return the QF to single game.

IMHO putting the 9-12 outside is long overdue but will never happen ($$$). Returning to single game QF is a bad idea but won't happen for the same reason.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2014 03:59PM

Trotsky
gatefan

1. Risk of injury or DQ.
2. Risk bubble team loses to Cinderella and costs ECAC a bid.
3. Losing coaches and players can lick their wounds (or whatever) at home.
4. Extra rest day for NCAA.

tl;dr: the only consequences of this otherwise inconsequential game were bad consequences.

I always thought of the consolation game as a bonus for the fans, particularly when the tournament was in Placid. You trek up into the mountains for the weekend, it's nice to know your team is going to play twice. (The 4/5 play-in game was awful for that reason.) On the other hand, the coaches and players seemed to generally hate playing in them (case in point: Cornell vs Colgate in 2000), so I guess it's just as well they got rid of it.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 05, 2014 04:12PM

Trotsky
IMHO putting the 9-12 outside is long overdue but will never happen ($$$). Returning to single game QF is a bad idea but won't happen for the same reason.
How much money can the first round playoff series really make? Attendance is always pretty abysmal from what I recall. Assuming $10 a ticket it's probably something like $20k/game gate less operating expenses. On second thought, in the world of small time college athletics that's probably a big chunk of change.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2014 04:53PM

Trotsky
I think it's silly that everybody makes the playoffs but giving all the student-athletes the opportunity to play in the postseason seems like a reasonable case for doing so (or, at least, a plausible cover story for greed). In the scheme of problems to be fixed, it's not the biggest in the world.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 05, 2014 05:31PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
I think it's silly that everybody makes the playoffs but giving all the student-athletes the opportunity to play in the postseason seems like a reasonable case for doing so (or, at least, a plausible cover story for greed). In the scheme of problems to be fixed, it's not the biggest in the world.

I remember back in the day, there was a women's lax ECAC tournament (cornell won it in 2001?). It was kinda like the NIT and was for teams that didn't make the NCAA tournament. Why not let the bottom four in the ECAC and HEA playoff for bottom feeder bragging rights? The "title" game could replace the consy and alternate venue. That would create some odd rooting interests from a PWR perspective and the games would be more competitive... (yes I know that this is entirely unrealistic... but so is moving away from everyone making the playoffs).

Date: March 05, 2014 06:47PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
IMHO putting the 9-12 outside is long overdue but will never happen ($$$)
I think it's silly that everybody makes the playoffs but giving all the student-athletes the opportunity to play in the postseason seems like a reasonable case for doing so (or, at least, a plausible cover story for greed).

Supposedly the drive for shoving all 12 in was the added revenue for the 5-8 in hosting a series. I think there was also a feeling among the traditional bottom feeders that this was the only way they were ever going to see home ice in a playoff, but considering said bottom feeders included Yale and Union...

The traditional big three have all finished in the bottom third recently -- Clarkson and Harvard have finished above 7th a grand total of twice over the last 5 years (yikes!). I doubt that would be enough to convince the league to cut the first round, but at least we no longer have teams that feel like they would be forever benighted if we did (amazingly, Harvard comes the closest having finished 9, 10, 3, 12 and 11 since 2010).

Date: March 05, 2014 07:13PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
I think it's silly that everybody makes the playoffs but giving all the student-athletes the opportunity to play in the postseason seems like a reasonable case for doing so (or, at least, a plausible cover story for greed).
I disagree entirely. Just because you show up to play doesn't mean you are entitled to play in the post-season. If that's the attitude we want to have then why have a post-season at all. We can just give everyone trophies for participation.

I do agree that this is by far not the biggest problem to be fixe. but it would be so damn easy to fix it!

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2014 07:45PM

KeithK
Josh '99
Trotsky
I disagree entirely. Just because you show up to play doesn't mean you are entitled to play in the post-season. If that's the attitude we want to have then why have a post-season regular season at all. We can just give everyone trophies for participation.

I do agree that this is by far not the biggest problem to be fixe. but it would be so damn easy to fix it!

FYP?

Date: March 05, 2014 09:02PM

marty
KeithK
Josh '99
Trotsky
I disagree entirely. Just because you show up to play doesn't mean you are entitled to play in the post-season. If that's the attitude we want to have then why have a post-season regular season at all. We can just give everyone trophies for participation.

FYP?
OK, that wasn't where my rant was going but it could have been.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 10:06AM

Just a reminder for those not going to Lake Placid: The ECAC semi-finals and final will be broadcast by Fox College Sports.

Date: March 06, 2014 11:11AM

KeithK
Josh '99
Trotsky
I disagree entirely. Just because you show up to play doesn't mean you are entitled to play in the post-season. If that's the attitude we want to have then why have a post-season at all. We can just give everyone trophies for participation.

I guess I wasn't clear; I agree with you, I just think "let's let all the student-athletes participate in the postseason" is a reasonable opposing point of view to have.

Date: March 06, 2014 11:50AM

Rita
Just a reminder for those not going to Lake Placid: The ECAC semi-finals and final will be broadcast by Fox College Sports.
Is this woofing?

I guess this is not woofing.

But it could be misconstrued by the HGs.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 06, 2014 12:10PM

Trotsky
Rita
Is this woofing?

No woofing intended. The "PSA" is for all hockey fans including our friends from Colgate, RPI, Clarkson etc. who post/lurk on the list ;-). As discussed before, getting to Lake Placid is hard and if your team makes it, but their are no rooms at the inns, then you may need to resort to cable tv.

Date: March 06, 2014 12:15PM

Trotsky
Rita
Is this woofing?

Not woofing. It'd be woofing to say "you can watch Cornell in the ECAC final on" such-and-such network, which of course you can't necessarily do. Saying how games are going to be broadcast is just a statement of fact.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 12:38PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
Rita
Is this woofing?

Not woofing. It'd be woofing to say "you can watch Cornell in the ECAC final on" such-and-such network, which of course you can't necessarily do. Saying how games are going to be broadcast is just a statement of fact.

The hockey Gods are a mercurial lot and easily offended.

Clang - The god of near misses might interpret the mere fact of the posting of the time and place on a partisan website the wrong way.

Refus - The god of blown calls could blind a referee at a critical moment or cause visions of things that do not exist.

Puck - The sprite that controls bounces is a real sensitive fellow.

Overseeing them all is Iceis who can tilt the ice back and forth and hates is when her subjects thing about anything but the next game.

Best to say nothing and perhaps make an offering. We could sacrifice a few Sucks fans. Oh wait that might be harder than it sounds.

Date: March 06, 2014 01:03PM

Towerroad
Josh '99
Trotsky
Rita
Is this woofing?

Clang - The god of near misses might interpret the mere fact of the posting of the time and place on a partisan website the wrong way.

Refus - The god of blown calls could blind a referee at a critical moment or cause visions of things that do not exist.

Overseeing them all is Iceis who can tilt the ice back and forth and hates is when her subjects thing about anything but the next game.

Best to say nothing and perhaps make an offering. We could sacrifice a few Sucks fans. Oh wait that might be harder than it sounds.

Hopefully The Hockey Gods will cut me some slack and realize that the posting was indeed information in nature. There have been a few years when the ECAC semi-finals and final were available only via an internet stream, so I wanted to make sure people knew that was not the case this year.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 01:11PM

Rita
Towerroad
Josh '99
Trotsky
Rita
Is this woofing?

Hopefully The Hockey Gods will cut me some slack and realize that the posting was indeed information in nature. There have been a few years when the ECAC semi-finals and final were available only via an internet stream, so I wanted to make sure people knew that was not the case this year.

I think, just to be safe, you should take on a quest to atone for any possible offense. Seek out the aforementioned Sucks Fan and when you have found him or her, smite them with the holy mackerel. While you are out questing send back news of any Grails, Jackelopes or Unicorns you find, they are in relative abundance compared to your quarry.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 04:41PM by Towerroad.

Date: March 06, 2014 04:16PM

Towerroad
Rita
Towerroad
Josh '99
Trotsky
Rita
Is this woofing?

I think, just to be safe, you should take on a quest to atone for any possible offense. Seek out the aforementioned Sucks Fan and when you have found him or her, smite them with the holy mackerel. While you are out questing send back news of any Grails, Jackelopes or Unicorns you find they are in relative abundance compared to your quarry.

Run three laps around Lynah while singing "Give my Regards to Davy."

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2014 11:44AM

If Clarkson gets by Princeton this weekend, I would normally hate the fact that we have no other choice but to head to Lynah. This year though, the games have been pretty even, the teams are well-matched, and it's going to be an awesome series (again, if we get there). Hopefully the atmosphere gets back to the early 2000s and before when the place was a complete madhouse. Last few years, the crowds have been pretty unimpressive.

Date: March 07, 2014 12:45PM

daredevilcu
If Clarkson gets by Princeton this weekend, I would normally hate the fact that we have no other choice but to head to Lynah. This year though, the games have been pretty even, the teams are well-matched, and it's going to be an awesome series (again, if we get there). Hopefully the atmosphere gets back to the early 2000s and before when the place was a complete madhouse. Last few years, the crowds have been pretty unimpressive.

You're going to destroy Princeton. They're terrible.

The QF should be close. I'm glad we have the extra week to rest and heal. Also hope a fair number of Clarkson fans make it down to Ithaca. Playoff hockey is amazing, especially if both fan bases are represented.

If any freshmen are reading this board (though I get the feeling the youngest regular poster is about 40), PLEASE encourage your friends to get to the rink early. Many, many opposing players from years gone by have mentioned that even though they had played at Lynah before, stepping onto the ice in a playoff situation in the face of a rabid crowd actually shook them up a bit. Not only does the crowd make the experience of the game more fun, it can actually affect the guys on the ice.

Go forth and be deafening.

Date: March 07, 2014 09:22PM

(5) Clarkson 2 (12) Princeton 3, ot
(6) Yale 4 (11) Harvard 0
(7) RPI 4 (10) Dartmouth 1
(8) St. Lawrence 3 (9) Brown 2, 2ot
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 10:14PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 07, 2014 09:44PM

Princeton wins in overtime.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 09:46PM

Clarkson just blew it tonight. Princeton was mediocre at best but the Knights are just sloppy. Hmm... here to hoping...

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 09:46PM

Trotsky
Scores after regulation:

(5) Clarkson 2 (12) Princeton 2, going to overtime. Free audio here.
(6) Yale 4 (11) Harvard 0
(7) RPI 4 (10) Dartmouth 1
(8) St. Lawrence 2 (9) Brown 2, going to overtime. Free audio here.

And the Tigers steal one in Potsdam. Lucky for the Knights this is not a 1-game eliminations as in Hockey East.

Date: March 07, 2014 09:51PM

ajh258
Clarkson just blew it tonight. Princeton was mediocre at best but the Knights are just sloppy. Hmm... here to hoping...
I don't know what we're hoping.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2014 09:52PM

Trotsky
You're going to destroy Princeton. They're terrible.

I reiterate my "if" statements. Dammit. We should have won that game like 6-2 with the chances we had. Post, wide, no-call muggings, and we still have no excuse for losing that game even a little bit.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 09:53PM

ajh258

Hoping to need to beat the national champs 4 of 5 to advance? I'd rather see a knights team that's had a rough second half.

Date: March 07, 2014 10:05PM

Second ot underway in Canton.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 10:08PM

Trotsky
Second ot underway in Canton.

SLU wins apparently. Couldn't get audio to work.

Date: March 07, 2014 10:36PM

ajh258
... Hoping clarkson wears itself out winning Sunday and staggers into Ithaca

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 12:01AM

Goes to show this league still surprises come playoff time. Princeton was the one team who looked like they had packed it in for the season down the stretch. And this is why Harvard successfully lobbied to return to a best-of-3 round after 1992 happened. I still expect Clarkson to get together to advance, but lightning strikes yadda yadda.

I'd rather see Casey's boys come in next week than Agostino to tell the truth. No offense Clarkson fans, we're just snake bitten.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 09:33AM

RichH
I'd rather see Casey's boys come in next week than Agostino to tell the truth. No offense Clarkson fans, we're just snake bitten.

While I don't disagree with that sentiment, as we painfully remember from Bemidji State, hoping for a particular matchup is fraught with peril.

Date: March 08, 2014 09:47AM

billhoward
ajh258
... Hoping clarkson wears itself out winning Sunday and staggers into Ithaca
Hoping whatever happens tonight will make our next weekend easier. Duh! crazy

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 08:37AM

Yale 2, Harvard 1 (Yale advances)
SLU 3, Brown 2 (SLU advances)
Clarkson 4, Princeton 0
Dartmouth 3, RPI 2

Date: March 09, 2014 02:07PM

ugarte
Clarkson 4, Princeton 0
Dartmouth 3, RPI 2
We would prefer to face Clarkson or Yale? We split 1-goal games with Clarkson. We beat Yale twice in 1-goal games, the second time in OT. In recent years we've thought of Yale as a quick team that is more of a threat to Cornell's style of play.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 02:53PM

billhoward
ugarte
Clarkson 4, Princeton 0
Dartmouth 3, RPI 2
We would prefer to face Clarkson or Yale? We split 1-goal games with Clarkson. We beat Yale twice in 1-goal games, the second time in OT. In recent years we've thought of Yale as a quick team that is more of a threat to Cornell's style of play.

My gut says Clarkson. My brain points out that Yale's RPI is higher, and that facing them will be better for us in the pairwise than facing Clarkson.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 02:57PM

I'd rather have us play Clarkson. Yale is the defending national champ and will need to beat us just to get back into NCAA tournament. The only reason we beat them a few weeks ago was because Iles had one of his better games. I haven't seen Clarkson this year, but I'd rather have us play them and let Yale and Q duke it out. That way only one of those teams will make it to Lake Placid!

Date: March 09, 2014 03:23PM

I agree, CLK for me.

Posted by: KGR11 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 03:39PM

I'd say Clarkson, since it looks like Yale is playing better in the past couple of weeks. Yale's only losses in the last month have been to Cornell, Union, and Quinnipiac. Clarkson has lost to the same opponents, as well as to Harvard, Dartmouth, and now Princeton.

Either way, if the regular season games have been any indication, these are going to be some close games.

Date: March 09, 2014 07:11PM

Clarkson and RPI each score in the opening 4 minutes.

Date: March 09, 2014 07:19PM

Princeton and Dartmouth each tie it up about halfway through the first; 1-1 each.

Date: March 09, 2014 07:29PM

Clarkson and RPI both up 2-1 late 1st.

Date: March 09, 2014 08:10PM

Late 2nd:

RPI 3 Drt 1
Clk 3 Prn 2
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 08:11PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 09, 2014 08:26PM

End 2:

RPI 4 Drt 2
Clk 3 Prn 2

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 09:07PM

Dartmouth beats RPI 5-4 to advance to the QFs.

Clarkson still hanging onto a 1 goal lead. under 4 min left in the 3rd.

Clarkson does hang on to win its first playoff series in an eternity (at least according to the Clarkson announcers).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 09:13PM by Rita.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 09:17PM

The Knights hang on 3-2. Quarterfinal matchups now set:

10 Dartmouth at 1 Union
8 St. Lawrence at 2 Colgate
6 Yale at 3 Quinnipiac
5 Clarkson at 4 Cornell

Re: ECAC Playoffs - quarterfinal pairings
Date: March 09, 2014 09:20PM

kingpin248
10 Dartmouth at 1 Union
6 Yale at 3 Quinnipiac
5 Clarkson at 4 Cornell
Cornell gets the Clarkson team that had to play 3 games to get to Ithaca. Yale and Quinnipiac will reduce one of two pesky contenders. But if seeds hold to form, we'd be in for a huge battle with Union Friday night in Lake Placid. Union beat Dartmouth on the road 7-2 in November and 3-2 in December at Messa. But it does reseed for the quarterfinals? (I think so.) If so then Union could wind up facing St Lawrence or Yale.

Coming up, this would be a great return-to-Ithaca road trip weekend: Men's hockey, women's hockey NCAA quarterfinals, lax vs Yale.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 09:27PM by billhoward.

Re: ECAC Playoffs - quarterfinal pairings
Date: March 09, 2014 09:28PM

billhoward
kingpin248
10 Dartmouth at 1 Union
6 Yale at 3 Quinnipiac
5 Clarkson at 4 Cornell
Cornell gets the Clarkson team that had to play 3 games to get to Ithaca. Yale and Quinnipiac will reduce one of two pesky contenders. But if seeds hold to form, we'd be in for a huge battle with Union Friday night in Lake Placid.
I think Yale has a descent chance of beating Quinnipiac. The cross town rivalry will give Yale the spark that it needs to play well, and the Bobcats have been experiencing their usual end-of-the-season dry spell.

Date: March 09, 2014 09:29PM

Sounds like RPI self-destructed in the third. They went in leading 4-2 at home and gave up goals at 5, 10 and 17 mins. Yikes.

Re: ECAC Playoffs - quarterfinal pairings vs pre-season poll
Date: March 09, 2014 09:39PM

Quarterfinal matchups
10 Dartmouth at 1 Union
6 Yale at 3 Quinnipiac
5 Clarkson at 4 Cornell

ECAC Hockey Media Association's 2013-14 preseason poll
1. Rensselaer (18) - 367
2. Yale (5) - 224
3. Quinnipiac (6) - 292
4. Union (3) - 287
5. Cornell (1) - 238
5. Dartmouth - 238
7. St. Lawrence - 212
8. Brown - 188
9. Colgate - 125
10. Harvard - 108
11. Princeton - 102
12. Clarkson - 83

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2014 09:43PM

Trotsky
Sounds like RPI self-destructed in the third. They went in leading 4-2 at home and gave up goals at 5, 10 and 17 mins. Yikes.

RIP was terrible in the third and those jerks McNally and Neiley played well. McNally taunted the crowd after the final buzzer. One silver lining - I didn't have to listen to the RPI horn at the end of the game.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2014 10:06PM

"The Morgue" was even more Morgue-like after the buzzer. And the announced crowd of 1600 looked even smaller than that.

Date: March 10, 2014 11:21AM

Here we go again... this is business as usual the way I remember it! Three of the years during my undergrad had quarterfinal trips to Cornell, (2004-2006). I loathe Lynah Rink. They were great series though... 3 game thriller in 2004 (which we won!), and two double-overtime heartbreakers in 2006. That said, I'll be purchasing my tickets as soon as they go on sale tomorrow!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 10, 2014 12:06PM

daredevilcu
Here we go again... this is business as usual the way I remember it! Three of the years during my undergrad had quarterfinal trips to Cornell, (2004-2006). I loathe Lynah Rink. They were great series though... 3 game thriller in 2004 (which we won!), and two double-overtime heartbreakers in 2006. That said, I'll be purchasing my tickets as soon as they go on sale tomorrow!

Great, looking forward to this weekend.

Re: ECAC Playoffs_Friday 3/14
Date: March 10, 2014 01:05PM

Since there are a few mathematically inclined people on this list, just a reminder that Friday is Pi Day, so plan to have a slice of pie while while watching the quarterfinals Friday night. **]

Posted by: Drew (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: March 14, 2014 11:28AM

Hello Guys,
Will tonights game be video broadcast on the internet? Hope everyone has been well.

Date: March 14, 2014 11:47AM

Drew
Hello Guys,
Will tonights game be video broadcast on the internet? Hope everyone has been well.

I think only on America One. See ECAC announcement.

The link to sign on is here.

As an aside, has anyone ever bought an America One game on their mobile device? I'm interested in knowing whether if I do that, I can then later watch it VOD on my computer. I know that I only have a few hours to watch it after the game is over.

Posted by: ScrewBUHarvardtoo (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2014 12:58PM

Will Clarkson bring their band for this series? Normally they do, but their women's team has an NCAA quarterfinal game AT Cheel Rink on Saturday, plus I believe it's spring break for Clarkson now too

Date: March 14, 2014 01:13PM

No band. I tried to get enough alumni together to support the current students and make something happen regardless, but was unsuccessful.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 01:41PM

Jim Hyla
Drew
Hello Guys,

As an aside, has anyone ever bought an America One game on their mobile device? I'm interested in knowing whether if I do that, I can then later watch it VOD on my computer. I know that I only have a few hours to watch it after the game is over.

I'm going to need to purchase the games tonight and tomorrow night, but then watch them later at night/early morning. I thought when I bought the Women's SF game last weekend, that I was able to watch a replay if I wanted to for a set amount of time. Anybody know if a replay option is available if I purchase the game when the link becomes active, if even for just a few hours after it ends? This not being able to purchase the games much in advance is a real downer.

Date: March 14, 2014 04:04PM

Tom Pasniewski 98
Jim Hyla
Drew
Hello Guys,

I'm going to need to purchase the games tonight and tomorrow night, but then watch them later at night/early morning. I thought when I bought the Women's SF game last weekend, that I was able to watch a replay if I wanted to for a set amount of time. Anybody know if a replay option is available if I purchase the game when the link becomes active, if even for just a few hours after it ends? This not being able to purchase the games much in advance is a real downer.

Here's the quote from a prior purchase I made.

With our VOD service, you may go back and watch previously aired events up to 30 days from the current date. If you made a single purchase, you will have until 9am PT the following day, to view archived events..Most events are available 30 minutes after the broadcast ends.

Now I just need to know if that pertains to purchase by mobile. There's a Colorado Mines baseball game at 4:30. So I'm going to try and see then.

It's too bad the ECAC doesn't have a full tournament package. America One seems to imply one with this quote.

This event may be viewed beginning 10 minutes prior to start time.

Once we have tested the audio and video, and there are no issues, the event becomes "Live".

This generally occurs 10-15 minutes before the scheduled start time. At this time, you will be able to purchase a single event pass. Thank you for joining us here at America One Sports.
Additional Purchasing Options

Visit the 2014 Tournament events page to see about purchasing a multiple event pass.

But all you get from the link is to go back to the individual games page.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.uchicago.edu)
Date: March 14, 2014 04:29PM

Jim Hyla
Tom Pasniewski 98
Jim Hyla
Drew
Hello Guys,

Here's the quote from a prior purchase I made.

With our VOD service, you may go back and watch previously aired events up to 30 days from the current date. If you made a single purchase, you will have until 9am PT the following day, to view archived events..Most events are available 30 minutes after the broadcast ends.

Now I just need to know if that pertains to purchase by mobile. There's a Colorado Mines baseball game at 4:30. So I'm going to try and see then.

It's too bad the ECAC doesn't have a full tournament package. America One seems to imply one with this quote.

This event may be viewed beginning 10 minutes prior to start time.

Once we have tested the audio and video, and there are no issues, the event becomes "Live".

This generally occurs 10-15 minutes before the scheduled start time. At this time, you will be able to purchase a single event pass. Thank you for joining us here at America One Sports.
Additional Purchasing Options

Visit the 2014 Tournament events page to see about purchasing a multiple event pass.

But all you get from the link is to go back to the individual games page.

Well, you do see about purchasing a multiple event pass.

You see that you can't.

Unless it turn out you can, in which case this snark looks kinda silly.

Date: March 14, 2014 06:27PM

ILDN has the hate radio audio; may as well just stick with that.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 06:39PM

Just waiting for the purchase link to become active. I'll just hope that the game is archived. Got to do an airport run for the next couple of hours so I should be able to get to the recording if it becomes active by 10 p.m. local here tonight or certainly tomorrow morning before it expires. Thanks Jim.

Date: March 15, 2014 09:25PM

The other three home seeds sweep, so all eyes on Ithaca tomorrow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login