Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 4 Princeton 1

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 4 Princeton 1
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2014 09:09PM

So close to Andy's first shutout of the season.

Re: Cornell 4 Princeton 1
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2014 09:14PM

Clarkson and RPI tied at 2, going into OT. Free (excellent) video here:

[rpitv.org]

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2014 09:23PM

andyw2100

[rpitv.org]
RPI nearly scores with 20 seconds left only to give up a 3-on-1 the other way, but Clarkson can't convert. Tie game but a fun back-and-forth OT. Thanks for the tip.

Date: February 22, 2014 09:27PM

ugarte
Thanks for the tip.

Sure.

Colgate up 2-1 on Q, late in the third. Free video here:

[quinnipiacbobcats.com]

Date: February 22, 2014 09:28PM

Gate eng.

Date: February 22, 2014 09:30PM

andyw2100
ugarte
Thanks for the tip.

Sure.

Colgate up 2-1 on Q, late in the third. Free video here:

[quinnipiacbobcats.com]
Q wins a faceoff in the offensive zone 6x5 but Colgate smothers the point, gets it out of the zone and starts a 2-on-1 for the ENG with just under a minute left to (probably) ice it.

Date: February 22, 2014 09:30PM

2. Col 27 HVD DRT
3. Qpc 25 clk slu
4. Cor 24 DRT HVD
5. Yal 22 UNI RPI
6. Clk 21 QPC PRN

Date: February 22, 2014 09:32PM

We clinch the Ivy title outright.

Date: February 22, 2014 09:34PM

ugarte
andyw2100

[rpitv.org]
RPI nearly scores with 20 seconds left only to give up a 3-on-1 the other way, but Clarkson can't convert. Tie game but a fun back-and-forth OT. Thanks for the tip.
Realized that I didn't close the RPItv window, when I went to close it saw that they were streaming the senior night ceremony. That's pretty cool. Closed the window anyway.

Date: February 22, 2014 09:36PM

I hope ILDN streams our senior night next weekend. I wouldn't count on it. Maybe we can ask (beg) them during the week?

Posted by: ajh258 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2014 09:41PM

Trotsky
2. Col 27 HVD DRT
3. Qpc 25 clk slu
4. Cor 24 DRT HVD
5. Yal 22 UNI RPI
6. Clk 21 QPC PRN

Looks like Colgate and us have the easiest schedules.

Would be interesting if we get into this tiebreak situation: We tie and lose, CLK sweeps and QPC blanks. Everyone ties on head-to-head but CLK will have more conference wins...

On the other hand, 1 win and we'll clinch a bye. We will win head-to-head vs Yale.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2014 09:42PM by ajh258.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: February 22, 2014 09:44PM

Too bad we can't play Princeton more often!

Date: February 22, 2014 09:51PM

dbilmes
Careful what you wish for. The 5th place team will play Princeton in the First Round.

Match-ups if current standings hold:

(12) Princeton at (5) Yale
(11) Harvard at (6) Clarkson
(10) Dartmouth at (7) RPI
(9) St. Lawrence at (8) Brown

And if all home teams won the first round:

(8) Brown at (1) Union
(7) RPI at (2) Colgate
(6) Clarkson at (3) Quinnipiac
(5) Yale at (4) Cornell

Date: February 22, 2014 09:57PM

ajh258
Trotsky
2. Col 27 HVD DRT
3. Qpc 25 clk slu
4. Cor 24 DRT HVD
5. Yal 22 UNI RPI
6. Clk 21 QPC PRN

Looks like Colgate and us have the easiest schedules.

Would be interesting if we get into this tiebreak situation: We tie and lose, CLK sweeps and QPC blanks. Everyone ties on head-to-head but CLK will have more conference wins...

On the other hand, 1 win and we'll clinch a bye. We will win head-to-head vs Yale.

Unless I'm mistaken, we'd have to finish a point ahead of Quinnipiac to take third. The scenarios that have us tying them in points would have us losing the third-tie-break--record against the top four teams. (We split head to head, and would have the same number of wins.)

Who would have thought yesterday afternoon that we'd be going into next weekend only needing two points to take fourth? This weekend turned out pretty nicely for us!

Posted by: ajh258 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2014 10:20PM

Trotsky
dbilmes
Careful what you wish for. The 5th place team will play Princeton in the First Round.

Match-ups if current standings hold:

(12) Princeton at (5) Yale
(11) Harvard at (6) Clarkson
(10) Dartmouth at (7) RPI
(9) St. Lawrence at (8) Brown

And if all home teams won the first round:

(8) Brown at (1) Union
(7) RPI at (2) Colgate
(6) Clarkson at (3) Quinnipiac
(5) Yale at (4) Cornell

This is kind of the ideal situation going into Placid, but that would involve YAL beating either UNI or RPI b/c CLK will mostly likely get 2pts next weekend at home. If we can get 1 win this weekend and beat whoever we play in the home series, we'll most likely clinch an NCAA bid regardless of what happens after.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2014 10:30PM

Trotsky
I hope ILDN streams our senior night next weekend. I wouldn't count on it. Maybe we can ask (beg) them during the week?

I sent an email about that and Jeremy Hartigan said it is the plan to keep the video running during the Senior Night ceremonies. But it can't hurt to send additional emails.

<jlukach@cornell.edu>

Date: February 22, 2014 10:31PM

Rita
Trotsky

I sent an email about that and Jeremy Hartigan said it is the plan to keep the video running during the Senior Night ceremonies. But it can't hurt to send additional emails.

<jlukach@cornell.edu>
This is great. Part two of the Cunning Plan is to somehow get Jason to STFU during it.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: February 22, 2014 11:09PM

I must admit I did feel sorry for the Princeton seniors. It was their Senior Night tonight, and none of their "fans" stayed for the ceremony. The Princeton pep band didn't even stay. There were still some Cornell fans milling about in the rink when the ceremony began, but the only Princeton fans were the parents of the Princeton seniors, who came out to center ice with their sons for the ceremony.

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2014 11:59PM

Tonight's game was one of the most complete team performances I can remember seeing. Everyone tonight had bought into the system. Effort was there every shift. Also of notice was Cornell's fitness, I speculate this may be due to woeful performances these past few weeks and the extra skating at practice. Late in the second game of the weekend there was still plenty left in the tank. When this teams legs are moving they take fewer penalties.

In 44 years of watching Cornell hockey, this game, I believe had the most goal posts hit I have seen by both teams. Since I was at the game I do not know if you got that from any of the broadcasts. We did notice once again the princeton camera operator was texting and using his phone while the game was going on, did the video suck?

Andy Iles was fantastic. He was a rock, very calm, made some absolutely fantastic saves in the the second. Great weekend for Andy.

Ferlin scored a goal scorers goal. Quick release, top shelf off a very nice feed from Lowry. Finally a PP goal! 2nd period McDonalds shot from the point looked like it deflected off a PU defensemen and over the goalies shoulder for a second PPG. 3rd period Lewis fired a low slapshot from the right point that had eyes as it went through a maze of players into the net, may have also deflected off a PU skate.

When I saw Wilcox early in his first year I said he needed to speed up his decision making, a year later, wow is he smooth now. He and Ryan paired together is very special. Weidner much like Wilcox last year needs to make faster decisions, especially when is playing with 22 & 17.

The poorest stretch of the game for CU was when PU pulled their goalie. They sat back and we're not aggressive.

Really great team effort, though for as well as they played they should reasonably had at least six goals or more, not including the posts hit. This team has a hard time scoring, sometimes just getting shots on goal. Princeton people told me Cornell was better than Colgate last night and they netted 6. Princeton alumni weekend and poor attendance for the home team as usual.

Though they did not show up on the stat sheet Hilbrich was physical and very creative offensively, Buckles and Freschi were very physical and created chances, they did not play like freshmen.

As bad as the 3 game losing streak was, this weekend was great.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 12:02AM by flyersgolf.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 04:17AM

dbilmes
I must admit I did feel sorry for the Princeton seniors. It was their Senior Night tonight, and none of their "fans" stayed for the ceremony. The Princeton pep band didn't even stay. There were still some Cornell fans milling about in the rink when the ceremony began, but the only Princeton fans were the parents of the Princeton seniors, who came out to center ice with their sons for the ceremony.
A good reminder why such ceremonies should be done before the game, not after.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2014 09:13AM

KeithK
dbilmes

Why, because all the fans are in their seats? They might at least have the pep band there.:-P

Date: February 23, 2014 09:16AM

Trotsky
Rita
Trotsky

<jlukach@cornell.edu>
This is great. Part two of the Cunning Plan is to somehow get Jason to STFU during it.

Since he's doing radio, and I doubt they are going to stay on for the ceremony, it's his job to do the postgame.

I suspect they will stream the ceremony, they did for Princeton.

Date: February 23, 2014 09:27AM

Trotsky
We clinch the Ivy title outright.

With a "classic" winning group photo.

Posted by: KGR11 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 09:57AM

KeithK
dbilmes

The last time we played Princeton on their senior night, it was before the game. They did the ceremony as part of announcing the starting line-up, so some of the Cornell fans and the band did the "boring" chant, followed by the "let's play hockey!" chant. The AD went ballistic. Such an episode makes me glad that the ceremony was at the end of the game.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 10:31AM

KGR11
KeithK
dbilmes

The last time we played Princeton on their senior night, it was before the game. They did the ceremony as part of announcing the starting line-up, so some of the Cornell fans and the band did the "boring" chant, followed by the "let's play hockey!" chant. The AD went ballistic. Such an episode makes me glad that the ceremony was at the end of the game.
... or Cornell fans could be decent people for 5-8 minutes. Give the opponents' players, families and friends a couple minutes to celebrate their contributions to the school and to sports.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 10:38AM

Nice game summary, especially the insight that the team at Princeton seemed fitter and perhaps that led to fewer penalties (4 minors). The first period especially, Cornell was aggressive (not cheap shot aggressive) and swarmed the Princeton defenders. I was thinking maybe because I was sitting in Cornell's attacking zone just three rows up (the rink is only 7 rows IIRC) and everything seems larger than life up close. Cornell felt so dominant on the ice if not the scoreboard.

Cornell did let Princeton control play when their goalie was pulled with just under 4 mins to play (sorry, Andy). The most troubling aspect was giving up 5 or so breakaways / partial breakaways. A quicker team would have netted a couple goals off those. We also turned the puck over in the slot, two Princeton attackers ready to pounce on Iles with no Cornell defenders when someone -- 23 McDonald? -- dove in from the faceoff circle and swatted the puck away. That was amazing. So was Cornell going to 2x2 on power play after a soft last couple weeks.

Amazing turnout by Cornell fans in town before the game and at the rink. Amazing non-turnout by Princeton fans and pep band after the game to salute their seniors.

One more time. File for next year: Princeton says it's a sellout vs. Cornell (and Harvard). But SRO tix are always available. We walked in just before faceoff and had a choice of maybe 200 empty seats, maybe 10% of rink capacity.

Date: February 23, 2014 10:59AM

KGR11
The last time we played Princeton on their senior night, it was before the game. They did the ceremony as part of announcing the starting line-up, so some of the Cornell fans and the band did the "boring" chant, followed by the "let's play hockey!" chant.
Yikes. Every fanbase has assholes. The way to deal with people like that is brutal public shaming by other Cornell fans. It's the only way fuckwits like that will ever learn.

Posted by: KGR11 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 12:25PM

billhoward
KGR11
KeithK
dbilmes

... or Cornell fans could be decent people for 5-8 minutes. Give the opponents' players, families and friends a couple minutes to celebrate their contributions to the school and to sports.

Here was the problem, though: It was poorly communicated to the crowd when the ceremony was going to happen. They had already announced the Cornell starting lineup, so we thought it was a regular starting lineup announcement and chanted appropriately. And the problem with waving a newspaper in front of your face while yelling "boring" is that it takes longer to realize that something out of the norm is happening on the ice (plus I don't think their parents were on the ice that year). We were definitely in the wrong to continue cheering once it was clear that this was not a normal starting lineup announcement, but Princeton could have made the ceremony clearer by having it BEFORE announcing Cornell's starting line-up.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 01:49PM

KGR11
billhoward
KGR11
KeithK
dbilmes

Here was the problem, though: It was poorly communicated to the crowd when the ceremony was going to happen. They had already announced the Cornell starting lineup, so we thought it was a regular starting lineup announcement and chanted appropriately. And the problem with waving a newspaper in front of your face while yelling "boring" is that it takes longer to realize that something out of the norm is happening on the ice (plus I don't think their parents were on the ice that year). We were definitely in the wrong to continue cheering once it was clear that this was not a normal starting lineup announcement, but Princeton could have made the ceremony clearer by having it BEFORE announcing Cornell's starting line-up.
My original comment was making reference to the fact that we moved our senior night ceremonies to post game not so long ago, presumably because not enough people bother to show up at game time anymore. This still annoys me (a little, anyway).

I had forgotten (or didn't know) about the previous occurrence at Princeton, which is both poor communication/ceremony design by Princeton and rather classless by Cornell fans who may have continuedd after it became apparent what was going on.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (24.229.69.---)
Date: February 23, 2014 02:01PM

Actually, the friend I sat with handed me a paper and I turned it down because I'd remembered the last senior night debacle. When it turned out that they simply were introducing the line-up, I took the paper and joined in.

My impression of the game: Princeton game out hard, but when we scored on our first power play, it completely deflated them. After that it was "Men against boys." It should have been 6-1 or 7-1. Every time Princeton would get a rush down ice, we got back to either break it up or give Andy an easy shot to stop. The only time that Princeton threatened after our first score was on the power play or with the goalie pulled.

Good win.

Posted by: ajh258 (64.212.61.---)
Date: February 24, 2014 06:07PM

ECAC Playoff Scenario Stats

Not sure how scientific/accurate these are, but the odds look good to me as long as Yale gets 5th and we get 4th.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2014 06:07PM by ajh258.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 24, 2014 06:12PM

ajh258
ECAC Playoff Scenario Stats

Not sure how scientific/accurate these are, but the odds look good to me as long as Yale gets 5th and we get 4th.
The big question is obviously how they determine the win-loss probabilities of any particular game. The method that jumps to mind most directly (KRACH ratings) doesn't predict ties. But from a quick glance the numbers seem believable qualitatively.

Let me say that one's playoff probabilities are definitely helped by playing the three worst teams in the league to close out the season.

Date: February 24, 2014 06:27PM

From the same site, probabilities of ECAC advancement and NCAA advancement.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2014 06:28PM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login