Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Union @ CU 2/14/14

Posted by flyersgolf 
Union @ CU 2/14/14
Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 08:01PM

Well played first half of first period. Finally a ref (linesman) we can like. Empty seats against #3 in the country, not cool.

Anyone know extent of Mowrey and Hilbrich injuries?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2014 08:33PM by flyersgolf.

Re: Union @ CU 2/14/14
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 09:52PM

really thought we played well most of the game.. generated many more chances than union.. dont think coach will be happy with the non interference goal or the one they scored with 7 on the ice.. we need to bury the open net shots. the one at the end of thd 2nd and the one in the beginning of the 3rd were open nets and i dont think we even touched the puck. union had 5-6 good chances and scored on 2-3 plays that were no where near as good as the ones we created..

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 10:28PM

According to Jason the shots attempted were 61-40 Cornell.

We got lots of help out of town (Yale and Clarkson lose, Colgate ties) so if we can put together a winning effort tomorrow we'll be looking pretty good. Losing blows, but this result was not unexpected.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2014 10:30PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2014 10:51PM

I have mixed feelings about this game. I thought that CU outplayed Union for a lot of the game, except on the scoreboard. The inability to convert on plenty of chances is disheartening.

Can someone explain to me why Schafer pulled Iles but then has four men stacked in the neutral zone and only one doing any type of forecheck? Whats the point of having he extra attacker if you're not going to play some type of offense?

The crowd was pathetic (again). I swear that the Townie sections do more starting of the "Let's Go Red" chant than the students.

And finally, if I was Schafer I would create some off-season goals for Ferlin so that he can develop some stamina. It seems to me that he's good for one burst of speed or about 15 seconds of hard work per shift and after that he's done. And starting on Monday I would review the game tape with him and every time I determined that he should have shot but passed instead. I would make him run the seats in Lynah. I think he needs to shoot more. Period. He's not selfish enough when it comes to shooting.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 11:05PM

MattS
And starting on Monday I would review the game tape with him and every time I determined that he should have shot but passed instead. I would make him run the seats in Lynah. I think he needs to shoot more. Period. He's not selfish enough when it comes to shooting.
What he's trying to do is laudable (use his skill to draw guys to him then dish to the open man) but too much can go wrong on the pass. I agree with you; tonight especially there were several opportunities where he had a decent chance but tried to make it perfect, and we never even got the shot off. Frustrating.

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 11:44PM

Too many Big Red shots were high and wide instead of low on net for possible rebound... But we played well. Union played a bit better in terms of speed to the puck and team passing. Steven in goal was excellent. Game was closer than score indicates, but Union definitely deserves the top 3 or 4 in country ranking.

Question: Anyone else notice that Dan Carr seemed to be injured in first half of first period and went to locker room w/ 6 min. left in period. I don't think he returned to ice for Union - any info ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2014 11:54PM by profudge.

Posted by: Dutchman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 10:14AM

profudge
Question: Anyone else notice that Dan Carr seemed to be injured in first half of first period and went to locker room w/ 6 min. left in period. I don't think he returned to ice for Union - any info ?

Carr headed for the lockers after the first period and his arm was in a sling after the game. Does not look good for us. A very costly win. We can't afford to have him out too long. He brings a lot of intangibles, beside being the leading scorer, to the team. The game was much closer then the score. You have a great team and good luck going forward.

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2014 10:57AM

Trotsky
MattS
And starting on Monday I would review the game tape with him and every time I determined that he should have shot but passed instead. I would make him run the seats in Lynah. I think he needs to shoot more. Period. He's not selfish enough when it comes to shooting.
What he's trying to do is laudable (use his skill to draw guys to him then dish to the open man) but too much can go wrong on the pass. I agree with you; tonight especially there were several opportunities where he had a decent chance but tried to make it perfect, and we never even got the shot off. Frustrating.

I'm not one of those crazy shoot every time he get the puck people. But he seems to do a ton of puck handling, or fancy moves, that result in absolutely nothing. I think he would be a more productive player if he would shoot some more. I think the opportunities are there but he is showing that he's either hesitant to shoot or he's the pass first mentality ingrained deeply into him.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 12:03PM

Any video of Coach blowing out his aorta?

wow

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-29.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2014 01:12PM

Johnny 5
Any video of Coach blowing out his aorta?

wow

The stick he broke over his head as a player was a magic trick of sorts. The stick he broke last night after the goal was the real thing. The refs might have thought it was belly aching. Maybe a bit of the boy who cried wolf.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2014 04:13PM

The video is too tight to see what was going on near the blue line, but there were definitely 6 Union players in the goal celebration.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 05:01PM

For people watching the games (I'm only listening for the most part), does the officiating really seem worse? Been some mumbling here that it has been, WHCU guys were up in arms last weekend, and they're usually pretty neutral.

Date: February 15, 2014 05:13PM

they claimed they had video at the break that showed the extra players.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 05:52PM

upprdeck

What's the current status of review in college hockey? Used in rinks that have the equipment, right? Wonder when Lynah gets updated.

Or it has been already, and I just have no idea what's up.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2014 05:59PM

MattS
The crowd was pathetic (again). I swear that the Townie sections do more starting of the "Let's Go Red" chant than the students.
You realize students are on break right?

Posted by: MattS (---.sub-174-252-49.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2014 06:10PM

css228
MattS
You realize students are on break right?

So that excuses the ones that are there?

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 07:53PM

Dafatone
upprdeck

What's the current status of review in college hockey? Used in rinks that have the equipment, right? Wonder when Lynah gets updated.

Or it has been already, and I just have no idea what's up.
Current NCAA Rule Book
Rule 93 - Video Replay
93.1 Video Replay - The use of video replay is permissible in any game
using either of the following procedures:
93.2. NCAA Championship Procedures - In order to reverse an on-ice ruling,
the replay must include conclusive video evidence. One of the following
criteria must be met for replay to be used:
• A puck crossing the goal line.
• A puck entering the net before the goal frame is dislodged.
• A puck entering the net before or after expiration of time at the end of
a period, a whistle, or referee’s determination that play has stopped.
• A puck directed into the net by a hand or a distinct kicking motion.
• A puck deflected into the net by an official.
• A puck directed or deflected into the net by a high stick.
• To correctly identify individuals who participated in a fight or
committed an infraction.
• To establish the correct time on the clock, or to determine the correct
location of a faceoff.
• To determine if an attacking player was illegally in the goal crease
and physically or visually prevented the goalkeeper from defending
the goal when the puck entered the goal cage.
• To determine if a goal was scored as the direct result of a hand pass
or high stick by an attacking player to a teammate or deflection off
of the goalkeeper.
• To determine if a goal was scored, as a direct result of the puck
deflecting off of the protective netting above the glass, by the first
team to gain possession of the deflected puck.
All goals will be reviewed by the video replay official. Play shall not
resume before the on-ice official verifies the review.
The video replay official may request to review a potentially nondetected
goal.
A team may use its timeout for the purpose of reviewing situations that
are in the video replay criteria or a potentially non-detected goal. If the
challenge is successful, the team retains its timeout. This timeout policy
applies to any video replay procedure used.
The on-ice official makes the final decision.
Note: See Appendix C for complete policies and procedures.
93.3 On-Ice Official Procedure - The referee may use a video monitor located
at ice level to review any of the criteria in Rule 93.2. In this procedure,
only the Referee may initiate a review. The on-ice official makes the final
decision
93.4 NCAA Tournament Competition - During NCAA competition that is
televised and where a video replay official is in use, game officials may
use replay to correct an error on calling an offside or too many players on
the ice that directly leads to a goal.

more
Appendix C
NCAA Ice Hockey Video Replay
Policies and Procedures
Rule 39 of the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Ice Hockey Rules states “A video replay
official is permissible to be used during all NCAA competitions. The video replay
official shall be in the rink proper and have a clear view of the ice surface.”
See Rule 93 for detail as to what may be reviewed by the video replay official.
Video replay official. The committee will assign a qualified person to the duty of
serving as the video replay official. Note: this person will not serve in any other
capacity during the game (e.g., backup on-ice official).
The video replay official’s duties will be:
• Responsible to the tournament committee.
• Review of all goals before play resumes.
• View play and, if necessary, request a stoppage of play to review replays
in conjunction with the on-ice officials.
• Review replays of disputed goals when requested to do so by the
referee.
• After reviewing the situation, assist the on-ice official to reach a
decision and supply any pertinent information (e.g., rule reference).
During the review, the video replay official may consult with the NCAA
National Coordinator of Officials or the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Ice
Hockey Rules Committee secretary-rules editor, if applicable.
Procedure (Goal Scored). When a goal is scored, the video replay official shall
immediately review the goal to ensure the goal was scored legally. If the goal
was scored legally, the video replay official will alert the timeout coordinator that
play may resume.
If the video replay official would like to review the goal further, the video
replay official will alert the timeout coordinator and play will not resume before
the video replay official has completed review of the goal.
Procedure (Video review). When a referee requests a review, they will contact
the video replay official by direct phone from the timer’s bench.
When a review is requested by the referee or video replay official, the public
address announcer shall make the following announcement:
“The play is being reviewed by video replay.”
After the decision, one of the following announcements shall be made by the
public address announcer:
• A goal has been scored at ______ of the ______ period by number
______ (name); or
96 Appendix C
• Upon review of the video, no goal has been scored. The referee will
provide a brief description of the reason the goal was disallowed and
this shall be announced.
The officials will use all available facilities to review the situation and reach
a conclusion as to the accurate time of the goal. It is the responsibility of the
video replay official to record the time of the disputed goal and the clock is to
be reset accordingly.
The officials shall communicate a decision as quickly as possible and will
attempt to complete the process in a timely manner. Officials are instructed to
take as much time as necessary to reach the decision.
When the referee indicates there is to be a replay review, all players shall go
to their respective benches.
During the period of review, no replay of the situation may be shown on the
arena video screen or any other public video monitor.
Logistics and Equipment. The video replay official must be located in a
secluded area of the building with an unobstructed view of the ice surface.
The location must be large enough to seat three people and have space
necessary for monitors, replay and recording equipment.
The on-ice official and video replay official must be provided with a highdefinition
monitor for replay, with other equipment to be designated by the
tournament committee.
All potential replay angles will be made available for review. All relevant
personnel shall be made aware of what angles will be available.
The video replay official must be supplied a communication device and
backup device with direct contact to the timer’s bench.
For NCAA tournament competition, the NCAA will be responsible for the
expenses involved with wiring the replay equipment.
The television producer shall “burn in” the game clock showing the time
remaining in the period during the last minute of each period.

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 11:28PM

I don't feel this seasons officiating is much worse overall. Missing a blatant extra man on the ice, on a goal scoring play is very poor job with 4 officials! Penalty should have been whistled about 2 - 3 seconds prior to the shot that scored. It happened right in front of us and our whole section was up in arms booing and yelling at the refs it was so bad.

That is just one call missed and the officiating has not been reason we have lost - our own inability to put the puck in the net, along with a few defensive missed coverage issues hurt us this weekend!

When officials are making about 100 + split second decisions every game they are bound to miss a few. This is the norm and expected. I worry when it seems inconsistent as that makes it hard for players to understand and adjust. There is more stick work and slashing and interference going on I feel; most of which seems to be ignored unless it passes some level of violent or real change of advantage.

Date: February 16, 2014 11:20AM

hey they missed 2 extra men last night as well. they had 7 on the ice on one play in the 2nd..

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2014 11:00AM

profudge
I don't feel this seasons officiating is much worse overall. Missing a blatant extra man on the ice, on a goal scoring play is very poor job with 4 officials! Penalty should have been whistled about 2 - 3 seconds prior to the shot that scored. It happened right in front of us and our whole section was up in arms booing and yelling at the refs it was so bad.

That is just one call missed and the officiating has not been reason we have lost - our own inability to put the puck in the net, along with a few defensive missed coverage issues hurt us this weekend!

When officials are making about 100 + split second decisions every game they are bound to miss a few. This is the norm and expected. I worry when it seems inconsistent as that makes it hard for players to understand and adjust. There is more stick work and slashing and interference going on I feel; most of which seems to be ignored unless it passes some level of violent or real change of advantage.

I disagree. The officiating has been horrendous of late, and it seems to be a trend since Paul Stewart took over. Not just bad, but inconsistent as well. At Colgate, they were calling everything they saw and a bunch they thought they saw. Against Union, nothing short of decapitation was being called. I agree the officiating isn't the reason for the losses, but let's not put lipstick on a pig here. The officiating sucks.

As for the replay system, all ECAC rinks are required to have overhead goal cameras (including Lynah). Not sure that would have shown how many players were on the ice. It's generally just the area around the goal. Any angle from the video stream would not have been available to the refs.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 18, 2014 11:07AM

CowbellGuy
profudge

I disagree. The officiating has been horrendous of late, and it seems to be a trend since Paul Stewart took over. Not just bad, but inconsistent as well. At Colgate, they were calling everything they saw and a bunch they thought they saw. Against Union, nothing short of decapitation was being called. I agree the officiating isn't the reason for the losses, but let's not put lipstick on a pig here. The officiating sucks.

As for the replay system, all ECAC rinks are required to have overhead goal cameras (including Lynah). Not sure that would have shown how many players were on the ice. It's generally just the area around the goal. Any angle from the video stream would not have been available to the refs.

Agree with everything that you've said. Even though they couldn't use the video stream, it really sucks to see your picture of the ref looking right at the 6 man Union celebration.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 18, 2014 11:09AM

Officiating may be actually getting worse, but there are two trends that will make it appear to get worse: (1) video improvement -- not only do we see more, but we also are more certain of the officials' fallibility which gives us less confidence in them; (2) our own experience -- as we individually watch more games we become more aware, particularly of uncalled infractions.

I can't remember a time when we didn't think "this is the worst officiating we've ever seen." Now, maybe officiating has been in freefall since the Sumerians, but I think it's much more likely that, like morals and politics, our brains make us see decline where none exists.

tl;dr: they've always blown
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 11:11AM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login