Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Women - Olympic Hockey

Posted by jkahn 
Cornell Women - Olympic Hockey
Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2014 09:38AM

Rebecca Johnston has a goal and 2 assists as Canada leads Switzerland 5-0 after 2 periods. Rogeau, Fortino and Jenner also in the lineup for Canada. Lots of mentions of Cornell by the announcers, Kenny Albert, A.J. Mleckzo and Pierre McGuire.

Re: Cornell Women - Olympic Hockey
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2014 11:38AM

After 2 periods Scoreless game between Canada and Finland. There was a major scrum with fighting around the crease, and it appeared to me that the Canadian player #24 got largely mugged by three or four Finns but somehow the result was a power play for Finland. Shot total after 2 periods something like 28-10 Canada.

Rebecca Johnston was part of a 3 on 1 breakaway, got the pass 1 on 1 with the goalie, lots of net available - and missed everything. :-/

She later scored a pretty tip-in on Canada's 3rd goal. Canada has not yet been scored upon in the Olympics and plays the US Wednesday morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 12:15PM by TimV.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: February 10, 2014 12:16PM

Johnston gets Canada's third in a 3-0 win.

Re: Cornell Women - Olympic Hockey - Canada-USA
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 01:01PM

Canada vs. USA women Wednesday 2/12 7:30 a.m. EST gametime. (NBC lists it as 7 a.m., probably pregame.)

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2014 09:36AM

Spoiler Warning--

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

What the heck was the ref reviewing on the second Canadian goal? She knew she had blown the whistle, whistling the play dead (before the goal.) No goal. Nothing to review. What the hell was that? How could she review the play, and how could she rule it a goal? I would love to hear her explanation.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 12, 2014 10:07AM

Not gonna post a score, but it looks like none of the Cornell women had any points for Canada.

Date: February 12, 2014 10:20AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Not gonna post a score, but it looks like none of the Cornell women had any points for Canada.
Rebecca Johnston was a constant breakaway presence around Net USA.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: February 12, 2014 12:42PM

billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82

Yes, RJ is much more of an offensive force than she was in Vancouver

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 12, 2014 01:08PM

scoop85
billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82

Yes, RJ is much more of an offensive force than she was in Vancouver

I think she was interviewed at the end of the game, on CBC. However I just fleetingly saw it, at work. I don't see the interview on their replay, and don't have time to try and find it on the CDC website. Their replay is nice, on the timeline they highlight each penalty and goal and even when the US went on extra attacker.

Date: February 12, 2014 01:44PM

In a close game where the winner had a disputed goal, is the advantage to the winner (get last line change?) or to the team with something to prove?

The NBC commentator (Natalie Darwitz?) has amazing vision, seeing every uncalled foul by Team Canada.

Somebody get Doc Emrick a phone book to sit on. He's about six inches shorter than (?) Darwitz and every time he turns to talk, he's staring straight at her chest.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2014 02:15PM

billhoward
In a close game where the winner had a disputed goal, is the advantage to the winner (get last line change?) or to the team with something to prove?

The NBC commentator (Natalie Darwitz?) has amazing vision, seeing every uncalled foul by Team Canada.

Somebody get Doc Emrick a phone book to sit on. He's about six inches shorter than (?) Darwitz and every time he turns to talk, he's staring straight at her chest.
5'3" Natalie Darwitz is in the studio with Liam McHugh and Jeremy Roenick; it's 5'11" AJ Mleczko (obligatory: Harvard sucks) towering over Mike Emrick.

Date: February 12, 2014 02:31PM

SPOILER DISCUSSION CONTINUES. ACTUALLY, STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD IF YOU FEAR SPOILERS.
andyw2100

What the heck was the ref reviewing on the second Canadian goal? She knew she had blown the whistle, whistling the play dead (before the goal.) No goal. Nothing to review. What the hell was that? How could she review the play, and how could she rule it a goal? I would love to hear her explanation.
I can't get mad at a bad call undoing a terrible whistle.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2014 02:40PM

ugarte
SPOILER DISCUSSION CONTINUES. ACTUALLY, STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD IF YOU FEAR SPOILERS.
andyw2100

I don't disagree with that. I'm not saying Canada didn't "deserve" that goal.

But once the ref blew the whistle, there was nothing to review.

Date: February 12, 2014 02:58PM

andyw2100
ugarte
andyw2100

If I'm not mistaken, I've heard an official use the explanation "the whistle was blown inadvertently" to allow the result of continuing play after a whistle to count. I don't really believe that that's the case here (I think it was just a quick whistle because the ref incorrectly believed Vetter to have the puck covered) but I think it could be used as a plausible justification if they were so inclined.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: February 12, 2014 03:09PM

andyw2100
ugarte
andyw2100

Seriously. From experience, when the whistle is blown, I stop playing immediately. I stand up and relax. Respecting the whistle as the final arbiter of "is the play dead?" is necessary to maintaining control of the game, IMO: otherwise, you encourage players to continue playing after the whistle in case the whistle is retconned away through review.

Date: February 12, 2014 04:42PM

Kyle Rose
andyw2100
ugarte
andyw2100

Seriously. From experience, when the whistle is blown, I stop playing immediately. I stand up and relax. Respecting the whistle as the final arbiter of "is the play dead?" is necessary to maintaining control of the game, IMO: otherwise, you encourage players to continue playing after the whistle in case the whistle is retconned away through review.

Don't jump, but I agree with you.scared

Date: February 12, 2014 05:08PM

This looked like a defender's against goal, tapping the puck back to the goalie, except it slid under/behind the goalie, and the puck was 2-3-4-5-6" on the no-goal side of the goal, with momentum that carried it in, when the whistle blew. That's what I saw. No one was close enough to stop or tap in the puck from either side in the fraction of a second before it went in. Here two wrongs made a right.

Date: February 12, 2014 05:43PM

billhoward
This looked like a defender's against goal, tapping the puck back to the goalie, except it slid under/behind the goalie, and the puck was 2-3-4-5-6" on the no-goal side of the goal, with momentum that carried it in, when the whistle blew. That's what I saw. No one was close enough to stop or tap in the puck from either side in the fraction of a second before it went in. Here two wrongs made a right.

But is it reviewable? If not, then making up new rules as you go is very questionable. Put that with the 2 missed too many men on Canada, and that they could have/should have called another penalty against Canada on the last US PP, and the officiating is /was suspect. Hopefully it makes the US mad enough to win it all.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: February 12, 2014 06:01PM

Jim Hyla
billhoward

But is it reviewable? If not, then making up new rules as you go is very questionable. Put that with the 2 missed too many men on Canada, and that they could have/should have called another penalty against Canada on the last US PP, and the officiating is /was suspect. Hopefully it makes the US mad enough to win it all.

Curious how many folks are rooting for Canada to win gold, given the Cornell connection. I certainly am.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2014 07:17PM

scoop85
Curious how many folks are rooting for Canada to win gold, given the Cornell connection. I certainly am.
Of course.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2014 07:25PM

Trotsky
scoop85
Of course.

+1 Most Definitely!

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: February 12, 2014 07:43PM

Larry72
Trotsky
scoop85
Of course.

+1 Most Definitely!
My loyalties are divided.

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2014 09:25PM

cbuckser
Larry72
Trotsky
scoop85
Of course.

+1 Most Definitely!
My loyalties are divided.

I won't be too sad if Canada wins but I'm American so...Go USA!!

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2014 09:49PM

1. On the question of whether a play on which the referee blows the whistle because he/she loses sight of the puck should be reviewable: of course it should. "I know I lost sight of the puck, but I'm not certain whether the puck crossed the goal line before or after I lost sight of it." [I would really like to see the sport of hockey change the standard for blowing the whistle from "an official losing sight of the puck" to "an official being certain the puck has been covered/withheld from play". Especially with video review capability becoming standard. A late whistle that should have been blown earlier can easily be remedied ("no goal, the puck had been covered, reset the clock to <whatever>" ). A premature whistle that should not have been blown and that denies a team a legitimately-scored goal cannot be remedied.]

2. On the alleged "too many men" situations: a player may be legitimately substituted for when he/she is within five feet of the bench. The player coming on the ice may participate in the play immediately; as long as the player being substituted for goes directly to the bench and does not participate in play, both players can be on the ice at the same time without penalty. Note that the benches at the Olympics extend halfway into the defensive zone, unlike most rinks where the bench ends at the blue line, or at most a few feet inside the zone. So the so-called "too many men" infractions aren't as obvious as they seem to be.

3. I've already had enough of overrated blowhards like Bode Miller and Shaun White, who are promoted as the greatest athletes in world in their sport until they actually have to perform. I want the Cornell players to do well. I want the US women to do well. Let's play the games, and see what happens.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2014 11:29PM

First of all, ACM - agreed on the rule stuff. BUT!
ACM
3. I've already had enough of overrated blowhards like Bode Miller and Shaun White, who are promoted as the greatest athletes in world in their sport until they actually have to perform.
Bode Miller has competed in 5 Olympics and has 5 Olympic medals, including 1 gold. He has 2 overall World cup titles, 6 season titles in various disciplines and 5 medals in world championships including 4 gold.

Shaun White has two Olympic gold medals and 15 X Games gold medals among other medals and is widely regarded as the best snowboarder of all time.

You can dislike them all you want but it is some kind of bullshit to say that they haven't performed in competition or have been overrated. They weren't even particularly braggy coming into this Olympic games. Any expectations that they would win were built on the foundation of actually performing better than their peers in the past generally, and on the Sochi courses in particular prior to their events. They didn't win this year, but they are competing against the best in the world. Shit happens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 11:35PM by ugarte.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2014 01:33AM

scoop85
Jim Hyla
billhoward

Even without Cornell connections, I know of more than a few people in the Greater Hartford area who are cheering on Canada simply for Whaler legend Kevin Dineen. Although honestly, I'm not sure how big a factor he is, given both how late in the process he was brought in and how long some of these players have played together.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2014 03:49AM

Trotsky
scoop85
Of course.

I'm interested in good hockey. Screw jingoism. The presence of Cornelians on the Canadian team makes it somewhat of a sentimental favorite for me.

Date: February 13, 2014 08:24AM

ACM
1. On the question of whether a play on which the referee blows the whistle because he/she loses sight of the puck should be reviewable: of course it should. "I know I lost sight of the puck, but I'm not certain whether the puck crossed the goal line before or after I lost sight of it." [I would really like to see the sport of hockey change the standard for blowing the whistle from "an official losing sight of the puck" to "an official being certain the puck has been covered/withheld from play". Especially with video review capability becoming standard. A late whistle that should have been blown earlier can easily be remedied ("no goal, the puck had been covered, reset the clock to <whatever>" ). A premature whistle that should not have been blown and that denies a team a legitimately-scored goal cannot be remedied.]

2. On the alleged "too many men" situations: a player may be legitimately substituted for when he/she is within five feet of the bench. The player coming on the ice may participate in the play immediately; as long as the player being substituted for goes directly to the bench and does not participate in play, both players can be on the ice at the same time without penalty. Note that the benches at the Olympics extend halfway into the defensive zone, unlike most rinks where the bench ends at the blue line, or at most a few feet inside the zone. So the so-called "too many men" infractions aren't as obvious as they seem to be.

3. I've already had enough of overrated blowhards like Bode Miller and Shaun White, who are promoted as the greatest athletes in world in their sport until they actually have to perform. I want the Cornell players to do well. I want the US women to do well. Let's play the games, and see what happens.

My question was not whether it should be reviewable, but whether under current rules it is reviewable. I don't know the Olympic rules, but if blowing the whistle is not reviewable, then I don't know what happened. If it is reviewable, then they made the right call.

I'd have to go back and rewatch the game about the too many men questions, but certainly the announcers were concerned.

I completely agree with ugarte in regards to the athletes.

Posted by: BMac (---.smartleaf.com)
Date: February 13, 2014 10:13AM

Is this even a question? We have four players on Team Canada, and Sucks has 4 players and the coach on Team USA.

And if I wasn't supposed to cheer for Canada, why did Lynah teach me their anthem?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: February 13, 2014 10:27AM

Swampy
Trotsky
scoop85
Of course.

I'm interested in good hockey. Screw jingoism.
+1. I want to see the best athletes compete at the highest level. Which is, of course, why I am not watching NBC's lousy coverage.

Date: February 13, 2014 10:56AM

Swampy
Trotsky
scoop85
Of course.

I'm interested in good hockey. Screw jingoism. The presence of Cornelians on the Canadian team makes it somewhat of a sentimental favorite for me.
There is good jingoism and there is bad jingoism. Good jingoism is "wouldn't it be nice if an American won this race" bad jingoism is "love it or leave it."

I'll be rooting for the American squad, who is not as good as the Canadian team, but I will still be proud of the Canadian Cornellians when they are flashing their gold medals and smoking cigars on the ice.

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2014 10:56AM

Swampy
I'm interested in good hockey. Screw jingoism.
Exactly.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2014 12:08PM

Why is it OK to root for Canada because there are Cornellians on the team, but it seems wrong to root for the country you live in? Because Nash is on Carolina, should I root for them, or do I get to pick my favorite team and root against him?

And I could care less that the US team has Harvard players and is coached by their coach. I'll root against Harvard, but when the game is over I'm happy to see them succeed for a team that I like. At some point you need to let it go.

Date: February 13, 2014 03:36PM

Kyle Rose
Which is, of course, why I am not watching NBC's lousy coverage.
NBC is horrible, but I'm stuck with it, so I've adopted a survival strategy that's working pretty well.

1. TiVo everything, watch nothing live.
2. Fast forward through all commercials (obviously).
3. Fast forward through all HQ / fireside segments.
4. Fast forward through all back stories.
5. Fast forward through all "made for US TV ratings" events.
6. Fast forward through all the pre- and post-event twaddle.

This yields about 8 minutes of interest out of every hour, but since there are about 20 hours of coverage a day that's more than enough.

NBC should be congratulated for a couple things. The TV angles and fx on the downhill are insane. And their announcers have finally learned to shut the fuck up during the figure skating routines. They still do the USA derp, but since we suck this time that makes almost no impact on the good skaters.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2014 03:39PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (24.229.69.---)
Date: February 13, 2014 05:01PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
NBC is horrible, but I'm stuck with it, so I've adopted a survival strategy that's working pretty well.

This yields about 8 minutes of interest out of every hour, but since there are about 20 hours of coverage a day that's more than enough.

NBC should be congratulated for a couple things. The TV angles and fx on the downhill are insane. And their announcers have finally learned to shut the fuck up during the figure skating routines. They still do the USA derp, but since we suck this time that makes almost no impact on the good skaters.

Actually the hockey coverage wasn't horrible this morning. Emrick went as far as saying "there's no time for that now" when it came to explaining something irrelevant to the run of play.

I miss the medal ceremonies, tho. I always thought those were neat, and I haven't seen one (in this country) in years.

Date: February 13, 2014 05:37PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Actually the hockey coverage wasn't horrible this morning. Emrick went as far as saying "there's no time for that now" when it came to explaining something irrelevant to the run of play.

I miss the medal ceremonies, tho. I always thought those were neat, and I haven't seen one (in this country) in years.

I agree. I was watching some online this AM at work. The streaming was good, and although I couldn't watch it continuously, I thought the announcing was fine. They should be congratulated for their online streaming as well. It's fairly complete and easily accessible. When I got home at midmorning, I could pick up on TV right where I left off. I certainly had more than 8 minutes/hour today.

Date: February 13, 2014 06:42PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose

You could save yourself even more time by not watching figure skating.

Date: February 13, 2014 07:05PM

Josh '99
Figure skating is great as long as you keep in mind the judging is fixed. Just don't worry about the medals and enjoy the performances. It's particularly good now because the Michael Bay jumping bean style is out (another positive consequences of the US sucking).

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (24.229.69.---)
Date: February 13, 2014 07:29PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Good luck. You might as welll skip 2/3 of NBC's coverage, then.

Date: February 13, 2014 09:55PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Josh '99
Trotsky
Kyle Rose

I worked from home today and watched a whole bunch of hockey and curling. No problems there!

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 09:55AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Josh '99
Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Hey, figure skating is Vlad Tepes Putin's favorite event!

banana

Re: Olympic Hockey GENERALLY
Date: February 15, 2014 10:31AM

JINGOISM JINGOISM JINGOISM

Date: February 15, 2014 12:06PM

ugarte

You took the time to post THIS?

Seriously. It's a minor irritation to everyone except you.rolleyes

I'm more worked up over our hockey team's inability to finish.

Date: February 15, 2014 05:07PM

NBC announcers in many sports are blatant homers. I wanted to across the ocean and slap whoever was in the booth rooting on Team USA in skeleton. Plus she was another blabbermouth, believes more words are better words, was somehow upset at the sneaky, as that the words, Russian slider based on her start position. Her husband, boyfriend, partner misses her but he's getting two quiet weeks at home.

Date: February 15, 2014 05:24PM

TimV
ugarte

No, it's a major irritation. NBC thinks it has to market it that way because the average viewer is a xenophobic moron, but it sucks and it's one reason why more often than not I find myself rooting against the US.

The jingoism is the worst part of the Olympic coverage. I wish our local Spanish affiliate was broadcasting the games since then we'd have the ambient sounds without the idiocy of the commentary.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 05:34PM

Trotsky
The jingoism is the worst part of the Olympic coverage. I wish our local Spanish affiliate was broadcasting the games since then we'd have the ambient sounds without the idiocy of the commentary.
+1

Date: February 15, 2014 06:39PM

Maybe we're quibbling about definitions here- according to dictionary.com

jin·go [jing-goh]
noun, plural jin·goes.

1. a person who professes his or her patriotism loudly and excessively, favoring vigilant preparedness for war and an aggressive foreign policy; bellicose chauvinist.

It's NOT just excessive rooting and promotion of your favorite team - of which I am guilty on a regular basis. And I'm prepared to do it again in about 20 minutes. cheer

Everybody does it at these events, Olympics, World Cup, etc etc. The pregame scenes this morning showed an awful lot of red, white and blue. Most of it was on Russians. I was happy to see it. The energy in the rink was fabulous.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2014 06:52PM

billhoward
NBC announcers in many sports are blatant homers. I wanted to across the ocean and slap whoever was in the booth rooting on Team USA in skeleton. Plus she was another blabbermouth, believes more words are better words, was somehow upset at the sneaky, as that the words, Russian slider based on her start position. Her husband, boyfriend, partner misses her but he's getting two quiet weeks at home.

Well, there's thirty seconds I'm never getting back.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 15, 2014 07:55PM

TimV
ugarte

I'm more worked up over our hockey team's inability to finish.
It did take a lot of time, since I actually use a linotype machine to enter my posts and have it rigged to transmit via the internet. It was quite a bitch to edit this, let me tell you.

You really have to know the posters here better. I am PRO-sports-jingoism. I posted this strictly to annoy Trotsky. And if you think an American sports network is going to have more than the slimmest pretense of objectivity towards American athletes you are completely, incurably, helplessly insane.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 08:04PM by ugarte.

Date: February 15, 2014 07:58PM

billhoward
she was another blabbermouth, believes more words are better words
Irony … 3. … b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play

Date: February 15, 2014 08:01PM

Ohhhhhhhhhh... why didn't you say so? How can I help?

Date: February 16, 2014 04:11AM

ugarte
I posted this strictly to annoy Trotsky.

He likes me! He likes me!!!

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: February 20, 2014 11:41AM

Hoping #s 5, 6, 8, and 19 all have a great game. But pulling for Team USA.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 20, 2014 11:44AM

May the better country win.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2014 12:16PM

Charlie Chaplinesque flicker of the online broadcast makes me pine for the Redcast of old.

I'm thinking the Russians will claim they invented Redcast after today. (I'm showing my age.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2014 12:21PM by marty.

Date: February 20, 2014 01:19PM

Trotsky
May the better country win.
Adorably ambiguous.

Date: February 20, 2014 02:15PM

JENNER!

Date: February 20, 2014 02:23PM

Well now. That was an interesting 5 minutes.

Date: February 20, 2014 02:58PM

Those are the best women's refs in the world? Wow!

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 20, 2014 02:59PM

Jim Hyla

Well, you know how it is. If you make a call in OT, you have to make a call the other way too on something you've let go all game. It's in the rulebook.

Date: February 20, 2014 03:06PM

Three different Cornellians in on the three goals. Not bad. Not bad at all...

Put four more gold medals in the Cornell trophy case.

Date: February 20, 2014 03:07PM

Dafatone
Jim Hyla

Well, you know how it is. If you make a call in OT, you have to make a call the other way too on something you've let go all game. It's in the rulebook.
Kinda made up for it with not calling an obvious penalty shot, though.

Just one more reason why 4x4 is bad overtime.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 20, 2014 03:14PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
Jim Hyla

In that position, if I'm the US, I might just take a penalty shot. A 5x3 and then 4x3 is really tough to defend. Out of curiosity, what happens when America's first penalty would have released. Does it go from a 5x3 to a 5x4? Or a 4x3? Kinda had to force people off the ice. My guess is 5x4 until a stoppage, and then a 4x3.

Had America scored on that empty net post shot, the story would be the linesman screwing Canada. Bad job all around.

Date: February 20, 2014 03:24PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
Jim Hyla

Except if the make-up call hadn't been called, the breakaway probably would not have happened. Terrible to end it that way.

Date: February 20, 2014 03:31PM

Dafatone
Out of curiosity, what happens when America's first penalty would have released. Does it go from a 5x3 to a 5x4? Or a 4x3? Kinda had to force people off the ice. My guess is 5x4 until a stoppage, and then a 4x3.

I assumed the first US player could not leave the box until a stoppage. The on-ice numbers would remain 4x3 (after the return of the Canadian player) until the second penalty expired. i.e., the same as a penalty incurred by the down side during an Nx3 during a normal game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2014 03:32PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2014 03:46PM

This was probably the most intensely competed women's hockey game I've seen. I think the ref did a reasonable job managing the game and keeping her penalty calling to a minimum. I think she used great discretion to not award Wickenheiser a penalty shot because she did not appear to have full control of the puck at the time of the hit. Great game, really, and the luck of both sides evened out in the end, mostly. Kevin Dineen did a good job managing the time and player combinations and not settling for their inadequate attack--notably putting Jenner on Johnston and Poulin's line... in the 3rd period and OT, a lot of those women were really gassed, but Jenner impressed me with her freshness. The winning play was set up by Laura Fortino, at the top of the slot, receiving the puck from Johnston and faking a pass back to Johnston, but quickly moving the puck left to Poulin, who released the puck after quickly settling it onto her tape. Jessie Vetter was caught out of position when she didn't slide across immediately on the Fortino pass. Poulin has some of the best hands in the women's game, and it helped win gold for Canada yet again. I'd be remiss to not mention the steady play of Shannon Szabados in net for Canada, and a truly game-saving stop on a rifled PP shot in OT.

Date: February 20, 2014 04:07PM

What an unbelievable game.

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 20, 2014 04:33PM

Very big ditto !! One of best games I've seen in many a year.

Date: February 21, 2014 02:51PM

As if anyone cares about HOCKEY.

Date: February 24, 2014 07:22AM

USCHO report on the women's playoffs had this nice quote on Olympics officiating:

The rosters in the bottom tier featured far better skaters than we’ve seen in Olympics past, so although teams may have faced a disadvantage in skill, strength, and stamina, at least there were far fewer reasons to feel pity for an athlete. That emotion was reserved for those having to put up with the overmatched officiating.

Read more: [www.uscho.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login