Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CU @ Brown 2/1/14

Posted by flyersgolf 
CU @ Brown 2/1/14
Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 08:54AM

After the most impressive win of the year last night, can Cornell follow it up against Brown? The ties against Dartmouth & St. Lawrence were almost like loses as we now see how really bad those two are. Finally Cornell is playing with energy from the start and finishing stronger. I believe number 22 brings an infectious enthusiasm that affects the whole team. He was noticeably limping last night I hope it is a nick and not something more serious.

Brown has beat Yale twice, Yale won 6-0 in the third meeting, beat Colorado College and tied BC and Denver and easily beat Colgate last night. Brown is not afraid to mix it up. They will try to intimidate and force their style of play on CU. Cornell stays out of the box, Cornell wins. Schafer will need to control his big boys. A win tonight starts to give me the feeling a first round ECAC bye is possible.

Re: CU @ Brown 2/1/14
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 09:51AM

1, 2, 3, 4, we want warmth.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2014 09:51AM

flyersgolf

Brown is not afraid to mix it up. They will try to intimidate and force their style of play on CU.

Reading this, and listening to the Yale broadcast team talk about our dazzling speed makes me think I fell down into some kind of Alice-in-Wonderland rabbit hole.wtf

Posted by: MattS (---.sub-174-252-33.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2014 11:16AM

flyersgolf
I believe number 22 brings an infectious enthusiasm that affects the whole team. He was noticeably limping last night I hope it is a nick and not something more serious.

Brandon Thomas tweeted that everyone is healthy this morning.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 12:32PM

I was wondering about the announcers repeating over and over how sold out the game was when i could see entire rows empty?

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 12:47PM

upprdeck
I was wondering about the announcers repeating over and over how sold out the game was when i could see entire rows empty?
They apparently sold all the tickets, which is what they base attendance figures on. I've been to many announced sellouts at Quinnipiac with hundreds of empty seats, too.

Posted by: Chris H82 (74.45.209.---)
Date: February 01, 2014 07:00PM

Checking ILDN, am I seeing it correctly that only audio is available for the Brown game?

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2014 07:03PM

No- There's a link- 28th one down from the top.

Posted by: Chris H82 (74.45.209.---)
Date: February 01, 2014 07:04PM

got it - thanks!

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 09:29PM

Fantastic weekend. Looked tired as game went on.

Brown ILDN feed was terrible here. The Brown announcer is actually a lot better now that he knows he is on the ILDN. Yes he was far worse before.

Andy had one of his best weekends I can remember.

Nick Lappin looks like his Dad, he is a player.

Cornell 6 penalties, Brown 3.

Buckles and Kubiak are getting better each week.

Great finish by Bardreau.

This team improves each week. Getting warmer.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 09:32PM

Any verdict from those who watched on the waved-off goal?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2014 09:34PM

Ref was in the process of blowing the play dead. Definitely not a goal regardless of what the Brown announcer may have thought.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2014 09:39PM

The flu is making its way around campus. I don't have any hockey players in my classes this term but I have had a dozen other athletes miss class due to flu or come to class with obvious symptoms. Keep your fingers crossed that the guys are just tired from a tough weekend and not sick....

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 01, 2014 09:47PM

Currently 7 in Pairwise on USCHO.

Date: February 01, 2014 09:52PM

Mmmm. Warm....

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2014 09:57PM

The 3 goals in the game.

Watch Lowry on the second goal.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 10:01PM

Trotsky
Mmmm. Warm....

I thought we all agreed last season was all a dream, like SNL's '85-'86 season.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 10:13PM

nyc94
With Clarkson, Colgate, and Yale all outside looking in... Ouch. Looks like the ECAC is doing a good job of eating its own - and they are delicious!

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 10:14PM

flyersgolf
The Brown announcer is actually a lot better now that he knows he is on the ILDN. Yes he was far worse before.
However, someone should tell the announcer that as of this season, goal judges in college hockey are recommended, but not required. As long as I've been following the game, the referee has been the final arbiter of goals

Posted by: JayFisher90 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 10:28PM

At this moment we're 6 in Pairwise on USCHO.

Date: February 01, 2014 10:29PM

nyc94
Now at 6.

Long time to go, but:

1. Minn
2. BC
3. Qpc
4. Uni
------
5. FSU
6. Cor
7. Low
8. Mich

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2014 06:38AM

Cole Bardreau buys needed insurance with the help of Joel Lowry.

Listen after the ensuing faceoff as the announcer compares us to Yale.

Posted by: BMac (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 02, 2014 02:25PM

Them's nice words.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 02, 2014 04:13PM

Trotsky
nyc94
Now at 6.

Long time to go, but:

1. Minn
2. BC
3. Qpc
4. Uni
------
5. FSU
6. Cor
7. Low
8. Mich

Like last week would probably put us in Bridgeport with no. 11 Providence as first round opponent with seeding flipped and with Quinnipiac as the one seed. Depends what you would do with Lowell matching up with Northeastern in BC's region. Somebody has to move.

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.natick.army.mil)
Date: February 03, 2014 10:06AM

Was it just me or was the officiating pretty terrible?

One thing that really stuck out to me was how long Drain was taking to drop the puck during faceoffs, which was basically drawing players in to situations which then required throwing someone out of the faceoff or giving instructions to the other players. I thought restarting play quickly had become a point of emphasis in recent years?

There were also a few obvious offsides (from my perspective) missed and I seem to recall mentioning at one point that the Cornell penalties in the 1st period ammounted to Hilbrich being tall (high sticking?) an a really good hip check being a trip (maybe the trailing defenseman got his stick tangled up?)

The Columbia band was an odd addition to the evening. Not sure why they were so anti-Cornell... wouldn't seem the standings would particular matter given they dont have a team =P
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 01:32PM by Cornell95.

Posted by: BMac (---.smartleaf.com)
Date: February 03, 2014 10:52AM

Wait... what? Columbia band?

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 03, 2014 11:22AM

Cornell95
Was it just me or was the officiating pretty terrible?

One thing that really stuck out to me was how long Drain was taking to drop the puck during faceoffs, which was basically drawing players in to situations which then required throwing someone out of the faceoff or giving instructions to the other players. I thought restarting play quickly had become a point of emphasis in recent years?

There were also a few obvious offsides (from my perspective) missed and I seem to recall mentioning at one point that the Cornell penalties in the 1st period ammounted to Hilbrich being tall (high sticking?) an a really good hip check being a trip (maybe the trailing defenseman got his stick tangled up?)

The Columbia band was an odd addition to the evening. Not sure why they were so anti-Cornell... would seem the standings would particular matter given they dont have a team =P

I think it has to do with who owns New York. rolleyes

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.natick.army.mil)
Date: February 03, 2014 11:45AM

they came in near the end of the 2nd period if I recall
I assume they had been at the Brown/Columbia men's bball game which started at 6pm

they sat right next to the Brown band and launched in toa Beat Cornell chant, followed by a fairly vulgar multi-verse song which had a refrain referencing excrement
I think they also tried a remote control goalie (but it was mostly the chant 'bend over' repeatedly... and seeing the Cornell offense had Brown trapped in their end for a long time it became quite tiresome because Iles was just hanging out taking a water break for a minute or more

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: February 03, 2014 12:48PM

Cornell95
I assume they had been at the Brown/Columbia men's bball game which started at 6pm

they sat right next to the Brown band and launched in toa Beat Cornell chant, followed by a fairly vulgar multi-verse song which had a refrain referencing excrement
I think they also tried a remote control goalie (but it was mostly the chant 'bend over' repeatedly... and seeing the Cornell offense had Brown trapped in their end for a long time it became quite tiresome because Iles was just hanging out taking a water break for a minute or more

Yeah, that's right. Their bouncy-ball game was over, so they came into the strange, mysterious ice-world. It must have been disorienting for them.

First, the new, half-size video scoreboard announced "Welcome Columbia Band," which I initially interpretted as a dig against the Cornell band. At the beginning of the 2nd intermission, about a dozen of the Columbia bandies came down to the aisle next to the Cornell band with their Columbia University flag and proceeded to take their band polo shirts off to reveal that they were all wearing t-shirts from the football season that read "#beatcornell" (because the institutions think that youth can only communicate in hashtags?). Then while the Cornell band was performing, they stood in the aisle passing around their phones taking selfies of the group with their flag and anti-Cornell shirts in front of the Cornell band, because isn't that hilariously clever?

Since I was standing in the row above the Cornell Pep Band, I had enough and shooed them away. I said something like "OK, that's enough guys. If you want a band to use as a prop, use your own." A couple took the bait and shouted back as they left the section, "We ARE the band!" to which I replied "That's debatable."

The Columbia band sat with the Brown Band for the rest of the game, and the Cornell trumpets during a break played The Moose cheer, which is a derisive cheer set to the tune of Columbia's fight song, "Who Owns New York?"

To finish up this band report, the Brown Band performed one of their post-game skating shows, which they have been known for for decades. They did full Halloween costumes, and while most of the time they played, they were stationary, their final song was a real skating drill, with a rather impressive pass-through maneuver. Only one fall occurred that I noticed, and it was a bass drum. I appreciate that the Brown band continues to do a skating show after all these years.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 12:54PM by RichH.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2014 12:55PM

RichH
Since I was standing in the row above the Cornell Pep Band, I had enough and shooed them away. I said something like "OK, that's enough guys. If you want a band to use as a prop, use your own." A couple took the bait and shouted back as they left the section, "We ARE the band!" to which I replied "That's debatable."

Way to stick it to 'em :-|

Date: February 03, 2014 12:56PM

I think it has to do with who owns New York. rolleyes

Oh sure, blame everything on the Jews... ;-)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 12:57PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: February 03, 2014 12:59PM

imafrshmn
RichH

Wow, a roll eyes with sarcasm, thanks, pal, you sure stuck it to me. Would you rather I had been angrily rude with them? Look, band-geeks have lame humor, I know, I was just speaking their language.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2014 01:21PM

RichH
imafrshmn
RichH

Wow, a roll eyes with sarcasm, thanks, pal, you sure stuck it to me. Would you rather I had been angrily rude with them? Look, band-geeks have lame humor, I know, I was just speaking their language.

Sorry, i'm just trolling.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2014 02:52PM

RichH
Cornell95

Yeah, that's right. Their bouncy-ball game was over, so they came into the strange, mysterious ice-world. It must have been disorienting for them.

First, the new, half-size video scoreboard announced "Welcome Columbia Band," which I initially interpretted as a dig against the Cornell band. At the beginning of the 2nd intermission, about a dozen of the Columbia bandies came down to the aisle next to the Cornell band with their Columbia University flag and proceeded to take their band polo shirts off to reveal that they were all wearing t-shirts from the football season that read "#beatcornell" (because the institutions think that youth can only communicate in hashtags?). Then while the Cornell band was performing, they stood in the aisle passing around their phones taking selfies of the group with their flag and anti-Cornell shirts in front of the Cornell band, because isn't that hilariously clever?

The Columbia band sat with the Brown Band for the rest of the game, and the Cornell trumpets during a break played The Moose cheer, which is a derisive cheer set to the tune of Columbia's fight song, "Who Owns New York?"

To finish up this band report, the Brown Band performed one of their post-game skating shows, which they have been known for for decades. They did full Halloween costumes, and while most of the time they played, they were stationary, their final song was a real skating drill, with a rather impressive pass-through maneuver. Only one fall occurred that I noticed, and it was a bass drum. I appreciate that the Brown band continues to do a skating show after all these years.
While we're on the topic of bands, does anyone know why our pep band played the alma mater during the first period intermission instead of during the second period intermission at Yale? The same thing happened at Dartmouth two weeks ago, but that's because the Dartmouth pep band had its parade around the rink during the second intermission (the Dartmouth pep band is a marching band, not a skating band).
It's no big deal having the alma mater earlier, but I sometimes time a bathroom break, etc., to make sure I'm there for the alma mater.
Also, it's too bad the cowbell person hasn't been at many of these road games. The pep band played a snare drum for the cowbell cheer at Yale and it's just not the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login