Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard-Yale @ MSG

Posted by TimV 
Harvard-Yale @ MSG
Posted by: TimV (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 08:23PM

I'm surprised- arena about 70-75% full.

Yale up 1-0 5 min into game. THIS aint Red Hot Hockey.

Re: Harvard-Yale @ MSG
Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 09:13PM

Yale scores three goals in very rapid succession (3 in 2 minutes). Harvard goalie pulled. Safety seive in.

Posted by: arugula (---.c3-0.avec-ubr2.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 11, 2014 11:53PM

from what I could gather, a LOT of tickets were given away. We were surrounded by a number of High School hockey groups from Connecticut. The place was empty at faceoff, then suddenly filled up, which suggests groups coming in at the last minute. Lame crowd, definitely more Yale support, not just saying that because of the wife's affiliation. Seeing Messier and Richter together at the ceremonial faceoff was worth the ticket price.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2014 10:37AM

Announced attendance was 15,524, which includes 600+ discounted tickets purchased from LivingSocial and perhaps other giveaways, as per arugula's comment. I'd estimate that the crowd was 75% pro-Yale, which was surprising given Yale's lack of fan support in places outside of New Haven. (Although I do remember a strong showing in Bridgeport for NCAAs...) I guess that the national championship has increased fan interest, and this was their first MSG game. Tickets were definitely cheaper than for any of the Cornell games at MSG, but I'm sure the event was profitable. Yale fans started a few "Let's Go, Bulldogs" cheers, and many participated in the "it's all your fault" finger-pointing after each goal.

Harvard really sucks. Their one decent play led to the goal - the Harvard powerplay is a real snoozer and Esposito seemed to lull everyone to sleep by just standing there with the puck until Vesey slid to the back door for the feed. Lyon (Yale goalie) seemed to also be asleep, as he was very late to slide over to try to make the stop. Also from Harvard, top-line defenseman Patrick McNally is a strong, fast skater who consistently burned Yale through the neutral zone.

Otherwise, Harvard looked awful. We were discussing whether they had recently switched to a new helmet or something, since the Crimson players seemed to have no idea where the puck was. Neither goalie had to make many tough saves, but Girard was toast after three soft goals in the 2nd, including one "shot" from the faceoff circle that wasn't even on goal, but deflected off the back of Girard's pads and into the net.

My main concern is that Harvard's embarrassment will lead to a strong week of practice and an inspired performance on Friday.

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: January 12, 2014 12:09PM

I watched it on TV, all the while wondering why that game made it to my TV when Red Hot Hockey did not.

Glad that Yale showed Harvard how hockey is played!!

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 12, 2014 12:26PM

ebilmes
Harvard really sucks.

My main concern is that Harvard's embarrassment will lead to a strong week of practice and an inspired performance on Friday.

I know we're not supposed to subscribe to the transitive property in sports but Harvard (5-8-3) managed to beat BU (7-11-2) 7-4. Dartmouth (3-12-2) beat BU 4-2 and Maine (11-7-2) beat BU 7-3. My main concern is our ability to score.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 01:47PM

nyc94
My main concern is our ability to score.
So...what else is new?;-)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 03:53PM

Both the Yale and Harvard sweaters looked great, though. I'm sure the Yale Y was a throwback. The Harvard font and high positioning looked old fashioned, too, but it may have been faux retro.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2014 06:45PM

I 'm pretty sure Harvard wore these jersies in the late 50s to early 60s. This is the only pic I could find, showing the home version.

Also, those Yale duds set a record for the number of Ys on a uniform. I counted eight. Seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 06:49PM by TimV.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 07:10PM

TimV
Also, those Yale duds set a record for the number of Ys on a uniform. I counted eight. Seriously.

I didn't even see the ankle ones on TV. I see 5 -- are the other 3 on the back?

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2014 07:50PM

Trotsky
TimV

I didn't even see the ankle ones on TV. I see 5 -- are the other 3 on the back?

I get six from that picture. 3 on the sweater. One on each sock. One on helmet.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 08:47PM

There were a few seasons when Harvard wore a large H on the front of the sweater.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 08:50PM

nyc94
ebilmes
Harvard really sucks.

I know we're not supposed to subscribe to the transitive property in sports but Harvard (5-8-3) managed to beat BU (7-11-2) 7-4. Dartmouth (3-12-2) beat BU 4-2 and Maine (11-7-2) beat BU 7-3. My main concern is our ability to score.
I wouldn't use the BU game as a specific example of a game where we couldn't score. The team didn't lack for amazing scoring opportunities against BU, but the bounces were weird. We could have won that game by 3 goals with almost nothing changing.

Date: January 12, 2014 10:59PM

Actually, I missed one. The patch On the right shoulder is inscribed "Rivalry on Ice" with an H and a Y and New York City There's your last 2, and the one I missed. upto

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2014 11:05PM

TimV

Actually, I missed one. The patch On the right shoulder is inscribed "Rivalry on Ice" with an H and a Y and New York City There's your last 2, and the one I missed. upto

And January.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 12, 2014 11:09PM

Nice one BeeeeJ!rock

That brings the total to ten.

Date: January 12, 2014 11:19PM

TimV
Nice one BeeeeJ!rock

That brings the total to ten.

Plus the Y in York, too, now that I think about it.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2014 12:12AM

A long NY Times story Saturday Harvard-Yale Rivalry Echoes Through the Garden does not mention it was the Cornell-BU Red Hot Hockey series that got others like H-Y to thinking about college hockey at MSG. The last NYC meeting of Harvard and Yale was 12/21/1970, 43 years ago. It's one thing to get H-Y students, alumni and the Groupon-curious to help draw 15,000 for a once-in-a-lifetime meeting and another for Cornell and BU (or Michigan) to fill or nearly fill MSG (18,000 for hockey) year after year. Even with Cornell's ability to draw, it's not clear that Cornell can sustain the interest for a game every year.

Much as we dislike Harvard and Yale, the more college hockey played in NYC, the greater the chances that sooner or later we'll have a Frozen Four in New York, Brooklyn or Newark.

Date: January 13, 2014 01:41AM

I'm pretty sure I counted that one before I missed January. By the way, Beeeej- I went to Jack Doyle's pub at 240 W.35th to watch the early NFL game before Y-H hockey and it was fabulous. Highly recommend it for any NYC viewing parties.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 13, 2014 10:15AM

billhoward
Much as we dislike Harvard and Yale, the more college hockey played in NYC, the greater the chances that sooner or later we'll have a Frozen Four in New York, Brooklyn or Newark.

Revive the Columbia program. We last played them in NYC at the 181st Street Ice Palace in 1921.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 10:19AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: arugula (---.ny.subnet.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 13, 2014 12:21PM

The new Kingsbridge project in the Bronx (Messier's baby) will bring college hockey to NYC on a smaller scale. The facility will include I believe nine rinks including one which will seat 4-5 thousand. Obviously, not right for Cornell, but a good spot for a revived Columbia club program or some of the smaller college programs near the city. The more hockey in NYC the better.

Also, if you will all indulge me for a second. I have not posted much over the years (maybe 4-5 times) but follow the chats avidly. I'm from the Nieuwendyk era (class of 87) and was quite a fan in my day, including multiple trips to Hahvahd, travel to the 86 ECAC's, a couple of trips to the North Country, and the epic journey to Denver for the 86 NCAAs. The biggest thrill for me was that my roommate Frans and I were either first or second in line for tickets our senior year and spend 2-3 nights camped out. The biggest deal for us in 86-87, as it was a bad year for the team, was that we created Section D Tonite, a subbversive "program" filled with the rosters, random stats, and personal attacks on whomever pissed us off that day. After a few games, we had to sneak them in, as security was looking for them, but we always managed to get them in and get them handed out. I understand that it continued for a few years after graduation.

Anyways, I write all that as a preliminary to noting that my four year roommate, travel partner and A+ Lynah Faithful, Frans Pigeaud '87, died late last week outside of Boston in an auto accident. He leaves a wife and three kids, 13, 10, and 6. Good father, good husband, good hockey guy. I won't enjoy the games quite as much for a while. Thanks all.

Date: January 13, 2014 12:28PM

Very sorry to hear about your friend's untimely passing. I thought you might enjoy knowing that not only did "Section D Tonight" continue after you graduated, but it's still remembered. You may not have seen these posts when I made them a few years ago, but:

[elf.elynah.com]
[elf.elynah.com]

- Steve Worona

Posted by: nyc94 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2014 12:31PM

ugarte
nyc94
ebilmes
Harvard really sucks.

I wouldn't use the BU game as a specific example of a game where we couldn't score. The team didn't lack for amazing scoring opportunities against BU, but the bounces were weird. We could have won that game by 3 goals with almost nothing changing.

Fair enough. The point I really wanted to make is that I don't think Harvard is that bad. They aren't great either but they did just tie Quinnipiac and lost to them by one back in November. They tied Yale in December and beat New Hampshire 6-3 on the road as well. I don't think they have been shut out. This Yale game and their game against BC are their worst losses. Well, losing to Dartmouth is pretty bad, too.

Date: January 13, 2014 12:39PM

Thanks for that Beej. I didn't know they swapped sides. Looking at those copies, I feel like I need to dig out our copies. We were a bit more ribald, shall we say, as the idea was actually inspired by a rag called Blue Seats Tonite from the old Blue Seats at MSG (also a Ranger season ticket holder).

One of the coolest stories from that year was that wrote actual letters to all the SIDs at ECAC schools and explained that we were an "independent" college hockey magazine and requested press credentials. The boobs at Harvard actually sent them and we sat in the press box (being told to keep it down by Harvard radio) for another of the long string of defeats to Harvard during that period. after the game, we went down to "interview' coach Reycroft much to the annoyance of the Sun correspondent who really didn't know the difference between a blueline and a bluejay and to Reycroft who wasn't used to being asked actual questions (like whether he actually hated the Referee that night, Pierre Belanger, with whom he seemed to have a running feud.) Oh man, don't get me started.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: January 13, 2014 01:10PM

nyc94
I know we're not supposed to subscribe to the transitive property in sports but Harvard (5-8-3) managed to beat BU (7-11-2) 7-4. Dartmouth (3-12-2) beat BU 4-2 and Maine (11-7-2) beat BU 7-3.

This is the thing that digs at me most so far about this season. It is so frustrating to see your team outplay yet drop a "circled on the calendar" game to a team that is turns around and careens towards a self-destructive terrible season, and also read things like this:

It’s been approximately 40 days since the fourth Red Hot Hockey game at Madison Square Garden, a biannual contest featuring Boston University and Cornell.

To Terriers head coach David Quinn and his 7-10-2 team, however, it was the last time Boston played with a desire to win.

“We haven’t played well since the Cornell game,” Quinn said Wednesday night following the team’s 4-2 loss to Dartmouth. “I don’t know why. It’s my responsibility, I’ll figure it out. It’s gonna be addressed. We have way too many guys who are comfortable.”

On the flip-side, our sweep vs. UNO looked terrific after the Mavs went on to sweep Denver and Miami, but now they're winless in their last six.

As for Harvard, I had them finishing way higher than their pre-season poll rank. They got back a handful of pieces who were forced to leave the team in the wake of the cheating scandal (what was the point of cheating anyway? To get A's??) They aren't Union or QU, but they aren't the pushovers people think.

Date: January 13, 2014 01:55PM

redice
I watched it on TV, all the while wondering why that game made it to my TV when Red Hot Hockey did not.

What network was it on? Just curious, since I unplugged from college hockey this weekend following the Friday cancellation.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2014 03:02PM

Trotsky
billhoward

Revive the Columbia program. We last played them in NYC at the 181st Street Ice Palace in 1921.
The redeveloped Kingsbridge Armory will include a 5,000 seat arena about a mile from the Columbia athletic complex.

Edit to add: Oops, didn't see that this was already mentioned in a separate thread.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 03:04PM by Josh '99.

Date: January 13, 2014 04:30PM

arugula
Thanks for that Beej. I didn't know they swapped sides. Looking at those copies, I feel like I need to dig out our copies. We were a bit more ribald, shall we say, as the idea was actually inspired by a rag called Blue Seats Tonite from the old Blue Seats at MSG (also a Ranger season ticket holder).

One of the coolest stories from that year was that wrote actual letters to all the SIDs at ECAC schools and explained that we were an "independent" college hockey magazine and requested press credentials. The boobs at Harvard actually sent them and we sat in the press box (being told to keep it down by Harvard radio) for another of the long string of defeats to Harvard during that period. after the game, we went down to "interview' coach Reycroft much to the annoyance of the Sun correspondent who really didn't know the difference between a blueline and a bluejay and to Reycroft who wasn't used to being asked actual questions (like whether he actually hated the Referee that night, Pierre Belanger, with whom he seemed to have a running feud.) Oh man, don't get me started.

Please do get started! There are a lot of us here who would love to read more of your stories. Pierre continued to be a thorn in our side for many years after that, so it tickles me to know that you asked Reycroft that question.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2014 04:36PM

arugula
The boobs at Harvard actually sent them and we sat in the press box (being told to keep it down by Harvard radio) for another of the long string of defeats to Harvard during that period. after the game, we went down to "interview' coach Reycroft much to the annoyance of the Sun correspondent who really didn't know the difference between a blueline and a bluejay and to Reycroft who wasn't used to being asked actual questions (like whether he actually hated the Referee that night, Pierre Belanger, with whom he seemed to have a running feud.) Oh man, don't get me started.

Thank you, having sat in the press area during one of the NCAA regionals held in Albany (without credentials), I love this story.

I am sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. May peace be with you.

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: January 13, 2014 04:54PM

RichH
redice

What network was it on? Just curious, since I unplugged from college hockey this weekend following the Friday cancellation.

NBCSN Ch. 220 on DirecTV

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2014 08:10PM

Beeeej
Very sorry to hear about your friend's untimely passing. I thought you might enjoy knowing that not only did "Section D Tonight" continue after you graduated, but it's still remembered. You may not have seen these posts when I made them a few years ago, but:

[elf.elynah.com]
[elf.elynah.com]

Anyone willing to have copies of Section D Tonight preserved in the University Archives, I'll gladly add any you get me to the hockey collection, originals or digital copies. http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/EAD/htmldocs/RMA03590.html There can't be too many of those still out there. Rare and Manuscript Collections, 2B Kroch Library or PM me.

Date: January 13, 2014 08:33PM

Bahnstorm-I need to check our storage--which may or may not have been flooded by Sandy, the landlord won't say. I my have a 1986-87 Section D Tonite, probably the one attacking Laing Kennedy. If I recall, Frans had them so I may wait and ask his wife at the appropriate time.

Another memory of the Denver NCAA trip in 86: the night before game 1, we watched Letterman, then hopped in a car and drove through the night to Newark for a flight to Dallas with the transfer to Denver. On our arrival in Denver, we were to go to the Colorado School of Mines where there was a chapter of a friend's fraternity, can't remember which house. Once there, we were to explain that we were brothers from Cornell and they would let us stay for the weekend. Well, lo and behold, it worked. It helped that they were on spring break and there many empty rooms, but must have been living right.

Lost the 2 games, total goals series, 7-6, but got Doug Dadswell's last stick and were asked about 50 times whether Cornell was in Iowa.

Date: January 14, 2014 11:28AM

redice
RichH
redice

NBCSN Ch. 220 on DirecTV

Thanks. I have to remember that they regularly show college games now. A good thing to put on at a bar so I have something interesting to glance at instead of random out-of-market NBA games.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 14, 2014 12:17PM

RichH
Thanks. I have to remember that they regularly show college games now. A good thing to put on at a bar so I have something interesting to glance at instead of random out-of-market NBA games.
Between the EPL and college hockey NBCSN is about 20x better than TWWL at this point.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2014 12:18PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 23, 2014 11:06AM

After much digging, I found our original template to the original Section D Tonight from Fall 1986--the Army, Princeton, and Harvard games. Will post them later today

Date: January 23, 2014 11:07AM

Bahnstorm
Beeeej

[elf.elynah.com]
[elf.elynah.com]

Anyone willing to have copies of Section D Tonight preserved in the University Archives, I'll gladly add any you get me to the hockey collection, originals or digital copies. http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/EAD/htmldocs/RMA03590.html There can't be too many of those still out there. Rare and Manuscript Collections, 2B Kroch Library or PM me.

After much digging, I found our original template to the original Section D Tonight from Fall 1986--the Army, Princeton, and Harvard games. Will post them later toda

Date: January 23, 2014 05:28PM

As promised, here are the section D Tonights from Fall 1986

Attachments:
open | download - 20140123_172530.pdf (177.7 KB)
open | download - 20140123_172523.pdf (139.4 KB)
open | download - 20140123_172501.pdf (115 KB)
Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2014 05:38PM

Cool.

The lyrics to O Canada are wrong (at least in the first one): "From Far and Wide" is missing.

Date: January 23, 2014 07:23PM

I'll get in my time machine and go back 27 years and fix it. Wait a second, was Canada even an independent nation then?

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: January 24, 2014 10:26AM

arugula
As promised, here are the section D Tonights from Fall 1986

Great. Added to the archives. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login