Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

FYI - No Reentry Policy

Posted by Eric Hoffman 
FYI - No Reentry Policy
Posted by: Eric Hoffman (---.plymouth.edu)
Date: March 18, 2003 09:55AM

Hi all,

I just phone the Pespi Arena. There will be a NO REENTRY policy for each session. :-( According the operator this is an ECAC policy not a Pepsi Arena policy. I find that strange since this wasn't the case at Placid. However it is the same as the NCAA hockey events I've attended in Albany.

So if you were planning on getting some dinner after the Cornell game and catching the end of Harvard/Dartmouth, you'll have to rethink those plans.

Mmmmmm......steamed arena hot dogs. Nutrition. On the bright side, the Pepsi arena has a Friendly's stand where you can get sundaes :-)

Re: FYI - No Reentry Policy
Posted by: Adam (205.217.105.---)
Date: March 18, 2003 10:00AM

Might be a security measure. It's easier to keep track of people if they only enter/leave the arena once.

Posted by: jd212 (---.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: March 18, 2003 10:24AM

They probably don't want people either giving their stubs away or reselling them. Just stamp our hands, why is that so difficult?

Posted by: Lisa McGill (---.mit.edu)
Date: March 18, 2003 03:58PM

Are they allowing bags into the arena? One could always smuggle in dinner if so.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2003 04:38PM

Pepsi hasn't allowed reentry during hockey regionals. I think it has to do with people swapping tickets.

Posted by: Lisa McGill (---.mit.edu)
Date: March 18, 2003 04:46PM

To (maybe) answer my own question:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guests attending Pepsi Arena events are advised that bags, backpacks, luggage, coolers, parcels, briefcases, and like articles will be strictly prohibited from the facility.

All guests will be subject to search, at the Pepsi Arena's discretion, of their person and/or possessions (including women's handbags of normal size, which may be allowed entry after such search). Patrons with prohibited articles will be turned away at the entrances, and no storage or "check-in area" will be provided for such items.

Enforcement will be without exceptions. Pepsi Arena management is confident that these added precautions are prudent and will be welcomed and understood by our guests.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They better have some vegetarian arena food :-(

Posted by: CUlater (---.ambacinc.com)
Date: March 18, 2003 05:31PM

What are you supposed to do if you're bringing a baby or young children? rolleyes

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2003 05:43PM

don't hide it in a backpack, that's for sure! :-)

Posted by: jeh25 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: March 18, 2003 05:46PM

Insert joke about baby poop and biological warfare here

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2003 05:50PM

so cameras are ok?
not that i am going to munch on my digital, but i am curious.

if i remember correctly the prices are not too bad and the food is not horrible. i wanted to eat outside the arena, though, so this stinks

Posted by: judy (---.washdc3.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: March 18, 2003 07:09PM

stay and watch dartmouth and harvard!
one of your last chances to tell boucher (i hate that sob!!!!) what a big sieve he is.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-la.caltech.edu)
Date: March 18, 2003 07:11PM

I wonder if they would have let me in with my laptop to run NCAA Selection scenarios like I did last year.

Date: March 18, 2003 11:47PM

[Q]
What are you supposed to do if you're bringing a baby or young children? [/Q]

Provide a helmet so that the child doesn't get beaned by a puck. Bringing a baby to a hockey game qualifies as child abuse.

smashfreak

Post Edited (03-18-03 23:49)

Posted by: Josh '03 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 19, 2003 12:00AM

I don't really know what Stadium "no bags of any kind" policies mean. Shea Stadium had that policy this past year, and you were always allowed to bring bags in so long as they were searched. Would sure suck to show up a few minutes before game time with a bag, told it was strictly prohibited, and having to walk all the way back to the car.

Plastic grocery bags are usually a safer bet. Their policy doesn't prohibit food (a pretty inhumane and illegal policy). I worked for a baseball team a few summers ago and they tried to implement a policy where they wouldn't even let people bring their own bottles of water in, which was quickly done away with. You can only be so much of a $$$monger before fans get too pissed off.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2003 12:07AM

What Shea Stadium did you go to? They made me check my backpack for $5 at a van in the parking lot.

On the other hand, when I had my friend's 8 year old son wear my backpack the next time, they didn't even check it.

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2003 06:40AM

of course i am going to stay for the other games but grabbing something quick outside of the arena rocks. :-)

Posted by: Adam (205.217.105.---)
Date: March 19, 2003 08:46AM

Josh, the reason Shea Stadium has that lax policy is because it would be a public service to put the Mets out of their misery! :-P Two words: Junior Varsity.

Date: March 19, 2003 10:22AM

[Q]Bringing a baby to a hockey game qualifies as child abuse.[/Q]

I hope you're kidding.

Posted by: cquinn (---.goodrich.com)
Date: March 19, 2003 10:44AM

According to the arena web site, they are running the "Fan Fest" outside the rink just like they did for the Frozen Four. That's nice, but it doesn't make as much sense to have activities going on all day outside when reentry isn't allowed. screwy

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: March 19, 2003 11:01AM

As long as we can still bring in Coke ;-)

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.caregroup.org)
Date: March 19, 2003 12:02PM

The link to the FanFest event schedule:

[www.pepsiarena.com]

Basically, 1:30 to 11, there will be things going on.

Anybody have the scoop on CHA events or Cornell Club of Capital District events?

Any decisions on bars?

Why is it not Friday yet?

Date: March 19, 2003 12:05PM

Also, if anyone is going to be there Thursday, there are open practices to see (Cornell is at 4 p.m.)

[www.pepsiarena.com]

Date: March 19, 2003 12:06PM

Oh and from the same site:

March 21-22
The Hockey Fan Festival 2003 will be located at South Pearl Street, in front of the Pepsi Arena. The Fan Festival will be the place to be for college hockey's national semi-finals and national championship games. South Pearl Street will be closed down and become home to interactive games, music bands, and other fun activities for fans and families. The Empire State Plaza will host Friday night's Pep rally and Fireworks Show.

Somebody is stuck in 2001.

Posted by: REDhead (---.lightlink.com)
Date: March 19, 2003 01:32PM

CHA is based at the Best Western on Wolf Rd, will have a hospitality room at the motel, going to start about noon on Friday....

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: March 19, 2003 02:15PM

[q]Any decisions on bars?[/q]

Well, if you're looking for an executive decision, I'll make one. I still think that, in the absence of a really good no-carding option (which there doesn't appear to be), Big House Brewing Company a few blocks down is our best shot. Or, we can just go hang out at the CHA headquarters at the Best Western.

Beeeej

Posted by: Melissa'01 (---.ip.reallyfastnet.com)
Date: March 19, 2003 02:31PM

BHBC is packed to the max on week-ends ... and i'm not sure about it being the best place for a large obnoxious group .... but the food is good and the atmosphere is fun so people should definitely try to make it there for lunch or something at some point. I'm really going to try and make a point of scoping out Perl St. tonite (I know that I said that yesterday and failed but that is only cause I got busy stocking up on supplies for the week-end).

Date: March 19, 2003 02:31PM

I've answered my own question on the Capital District club gathering:

Here's the reception info (as much of it as I have...). It's going to be between the two games on Saturday and the set location was slated to be on the mezzanine in the windowed area at the entrance to sections 109 and 110 but the location might change. We'll try to let people know and there should be signs and whatnot. It's free and there'll be minimal food so it's much more about Cornell spirit than food. Soda and water will be sold there. Anyone is welcome to join us. The Pep band is scheduled to play at some point as well.

Date: March 19, 2003 10:07PM

No as a matter of fact I wasn't kidding. Unless the baby has his head protected it is very foolish.

One of my friends spent a few hours in the emergency room after a puck incident with the pre-teen friend of her daughter. If it had been a baby they would not have needed an emergency room. They would have needed a coroner.

Every time I see a baby at a game I try to look the other way.:-/

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2003 10:20PM

Actually I felt better when I took my newborn to the games than when I now take my 8 year old. When I was holding my baby, I was also paying attention to the game, and the puck. I cannot say the same about my, now current, 8 year old. I watch the game while trying to also take note of what she is doing and if she is paying attention. Let me tell you guarding the baby was alot easier. help

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2003 10:30PM

Tom Pasniewski '98 wrote:
Pearl Street will be closed down and become home to... music bands...
Did they need to specify MUSIC bands? Did they think we'd expect bands of roving hooligans or something?

Oh, wait, WE'RE the band of roving hooligans. :-D

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: March 20, 2003 01:39AM

Well, I guess you have certain options when choosing between bars that none of us frequents: Go to one that might be very crowded but that we know is good, or go to one that probably isn't very good... because otherwise it'd be more crowded.

I'd much rather not stand around the Pepsi for an hour after game 2 on Friday equivocating over where to go. Hell, we know Ithaca like the backs of our hands, and we still take twenty minutes to mull our options at game's end. I think that's why Tom asked for an executive decision and I offered one. But frankly I'll go to any bar people actually agree upon relatively quickly.

Beeeej

Posted by: REDhead (---.lightlink.com)
Date: March 20, 2003 09:40AM

I have a friend who had a "spirited" discussion with a Pepsi Arena person yesterday, who agreed that the no-reentry policy was ridiculous. She said they are "re-thinking" the policy for this weekend.

Posted by: schoaff (---.biostat.ufl.edu)
Date: March 24, 2003 09:40AM

Just in case anyone who wasn't there is still following this thread. On Friday there was no reentry, but on Saturday they were stamping hands. Guess somebody whomped them with a clue stick.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2003 10:56AM

Yeah, the merchants at the fan fest. We had a couple extra tickets for the first day that we couldn't get rid of, so we used them to leave and reenter. The fan fest was dead the first day according to the ones who left, not more than a dozen or so people. The second day, well, you saw the crowd (if you didn't, there was a line of at least 20-30 people at each stand for food). They did the right thing for everyone involved.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2003 11:07AM

They made an announcement during the second game on Friday that after reading the fan feedback cards, they decided to allow re-entry, and got a big cheer. Seems like the organizers did a good job. Still didn't have the same atmosphere as Placid, but I think they did a very good job with what they had. But where was the Coke? :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login