Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

1/10 game vs Massachusetts delayed to 7:30pm

Posted by mha 
1/10 game vs Massachusetts delayed to 7:30pm
Posted by: mha (---.campuslife.cornell.edu)
Date: January 10, 2014 12:15PM

Cornell says a compressor failure at Lynah Rink has made them push back the start time for tonight to 7:30pm. They say they expect the repairs to be done by early afternoon, and I say it's too bad it's suddenly thirty degrees warmer in Ithaca! Bad timing.

[today.14850.com]

Re: 1/10 game vs Massachusetts delayed to 7:30pm
Posted by: MattS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2014 12:21PM

That's the truth. Last friday, open the doors and problem solved. burnout

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 10, 2014 12:49PM

Thanks

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 06:47PM

Game pushed to 8 PM

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 07:33PM

WHCU cut off the derp right at 7:30 and ILDN is up on time too.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 07:51PM

so the email they sent that said they would let people know of additonal delays never happened.. too bad they dont use a texting service..

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 07:54PM

Game now CANCELED

Posted by: Robb (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2014 07:55PM

Fans just now entering Lynah. Surely not going to start by 8.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 07:59PM

Al DeFlorio
Game now CANCELED

Robb
Fans just now entering Lynah. Surely not going to start by 8.
I agree, Robb.

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 08:16PM

No make up date, not to be rescheduled. I wonder if you Umass even offered to play an early afternoon game tomorrow and back up their Sunday afternoon home game to an evening game against the US under 18 team. Seems an exhibition game is more important to them.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 08:30PM

seems like home-game receipts and getting out of town is more important to them.

Date: January 10, 2014 09:38PM

cornell going to refund the ticket money?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2014 09:44PM

upprdeck
cornell going to refund the ticket money?

Judging by the line at the ticket window as we left, I'd say yes. And they better.

Date: January 10, 2014 10:01PM

works out well for the students who didnt come back for the game anyway..

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2014 10:41PM

I was told that season ticket holders would get an email about compensation.

Date: January 11, 2014 05:07AM

Make the ticket stub free entry for Fish and Fowl. Fuck the fire codes -- get 8000 in for it.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 08:29AM

how can there be no make up date?

Date: January 11, 2014 09:10AM

70K loss for the dept..

Date: January 11, 2014 12:28PM

The Rancor

Because UMass doesn't want to come back to Lynah in the middle of the week sometime. Both schools have pretty full weekend schedules, so when? They have a Sun eve home game, so I doubt they wanted to stay over and play today.

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: January 11, 2014 01:20PM

Jim Hyla
The Rancor

Because UMass doesn't want to come back to Lynah in the middle of the week sometime. Both schools have pretty full weekend schedules, so when? They have a Sun eve home game, so I doubt they wanted to stay over and play today.

I wouldn't have been shocked to get up this morning & read that the compressor started working after the game was called last evening and the two teams decided to play a late evening game, sans the full crowd.

Remember, when the crowd was behaving really poorly for the Hahvahd @ CU game, the administration held out the possibility that the game could be played in a locked down, fanless Lynah Rink. Their point was that the crowd is not essential to holding a hockey game at Lynah.

If that philosophy still holds and the ice improved last evening, it could have happened. Obviously, it didn't. There would have been a lot of bitching. But, the adminstration is immune to that.

-Ned Harkness

Date: January 11, 2014 02:12PM

redice
Jim Hyla
The Rancor

I wouldn't have been shocked to get up this morning & read that the compressor started working after the game was called last evening and the two teams decided to play a late evening game, sans the full crowd.

Remember, when the crowd was behaving really poorly for the Hahvahd @ CU game, the administration held out the possibility that the game could be played in a locked down, fanless Lynah Rink. Their point was that the crowd is not essential to holding a hockey game at Lynah.

If that philosophy still holds and the ice improved last evening, it could have happened. Obviously, it didn't. There would have been a lot of bitching. But, the adminstration is immune to that.

There was really no good reason for either team to play the game like that. It had no impact upon either league standings, and minimal on Pairwise (unless CU loses, then some); without a crowd, CU already had lost the money; they probably had to pay UMass something anyway (but I don't know the contract); and I'd guess UMass was going home right after the game, so wouldn't want to wait to start a game at 10PM. Just my thoughts, and yes I know they could have played the game, there just wasn't any compelling reason to do it.

As an aside, those of us who hung around a while got to see the team come out in full gear, sans helmets, and raise their sticks to the crowd. I wish I had been smart enough to get a picture.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 03:28PM

Don't worry, the Ithaca Journal did.

Scroll to the fourth picture:
[www.ithacajournal.com]

Date: January 11, 2014 04:03PM

BMac
Don't worry, the Ithaca Journal did.

Scroll to the fourth picture:
[www.ithacajournal.com]

Thanks

Date: January 11, 2014 04:23PM

stay tuned..

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 03:09AM

Here's my question: when exactly did the compressor start seeing issues? Because if it was anytime before mid-afternoon on Friday, somebody has to answer for this.

This is, frankly, Cincinatti 1997 Frozen Four embarrassing. Do you think any top-tier program would have similar issues if it wasn't a last-minute failure??

UMass is playing an exhibition on Sunday. One would think a 1pm Saturday game would be doable.

This is, along with not being able to submit an NCAA Hockey hosting bid, failures of Lacrosse NCAA hosting and needing the strength of the BU A.D. to turn in MSG success, a recurring problem with our Athletic Department. I'm sure I'll have more to say, but I continually feel like Cornell has a Mickey Mouse A.D. when it comes to National stature.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 10:55AM

RichH
Here's my question: when exactly did the compressor start seeing issues? Because if it was anytime before mid-afternoon on Friday, somebody has to answer for this.

This is, frankly, Cincinatti 1997 Frozen Four embarrassing. Do you think any top-tier program would have similar issues if it wasn't a last-minute failure??
I'm not defending Cornell's administration, but I do recall going to a Cornell at Yale game many years ago and the compressor wasn't working at the Yale Whale. The game was moved to the New Haven Coliseum (which obviously at that point was still standing!), which fortunately already had the ice down and didn't have an event scheduled for that night. Everyone at the Yale Whale drove the mile or so to the Coliseum, and after a moderate delay, the game was played there. Unfortunately, Cornell doesn't have a backup rink nearby like Yale did at the time.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 11:35AM

Sure we do......Cass Park Rink. Couldn't be any worse then any of the outside nhl or college games.

Date: January 12, 2014 12:05PM

Speculation being what it is, I'm sure there are a lot of things they could have done Friday evening. But, the truth is, they would have been criticized for any choice they made, including calling the game. I'm thinking the made the right choice.

I've been attending Cornell Hockey games since before Ken Dryden played his first varsity game. This is only the second one that I can recall being cancelled/postponed. Maybe there was another 1-2 that I cannot recall (but I don't think so). That's a pretty good track record of dependability.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 12:26PM

toddlose
Sure we do......Cass Park Rink. Couldn't be any worse then any of the outside nhl or college games.
I was thinking the same thing: Cass Park would be passable backup and would have accommodated a couple hundred die-hard fans. Although if Cornell got Cass Park to toss 2 or 3 youth league (or Ithaca HS?) games, you'd be hearing about the Big Bad Big Red tossing its weight around.

Date: January 12, 2014 03:57PM

billhoward
Although if Cornell got Cass Park to toss 2 or 3 youth league (or Ithaca HS?) games, you'd be hearing about the Big Bad Big Red tossing its weight around.
Not if Cornell comped them the makeups at Lynah.

The Ithaca Stars womens team used to play at Cass Park. It was really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really cold.

Posted by: toddlose (---.sub-70-193-192.myvzw.com)
Date: January 12, 2014 04:15PM

Then go to The Rink. IHS uses that rink.

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2014 07:13PM

I don't understand some of these complaints. I guess I just don't understand what should have been done differently at the time the problem(s) were happening. From what was public available to me, it appears as if Cornell found out about the issue on Friday morning and thought it was going to be repaired by early afternoon. I would assume that TPTB has a reasonable degree of confidence that the repairs would happen and the game would be a go. Otherwise would be to assume that the athletic department as a whole were lying to the public, and/or are completely incompetent, or the repair company was lying/incompetent. Obviously things did to go according to plan. It is unreasonable to expect that every possible part or repair could be made in the time given.

I thought that the athletic department did a reasonably good job at keeping the public aware to the progress. There was several updates through various media outlets and social media.

As for playing at another venue, when exactly when was Cornell suppose to secure the ice time (if it was available) at either Cass or The Rink? First thing when the problem with the compressor arose even though they thought it would be fixed? Or later in the afternoon? I suppose as a "just in case" Cornell could spent money and made lots of plans for something that, again based upon the public information, they thought was unnecessary. But then that brings up a whole other set of issues. At what point does the game get moved? Who then would get to see the game? I can easily imagine that given a reasonable amount of warning more people would come to see a game at Cass/The Rink than the capacity is. So what then? Was Umass even willing to play at another venue? Lots of questions.

I think Cornell did the best they could in a bad situation. From what I have read/heard it was Umass that was unwilling to play the game (& I don't blame them they should look out for their players safety first and foremost). It didn't work out and that is a shame, but it is what it is.

Date: January 12, 2014 07:48PM

MattS
I don't understand some of these complaints. I guess I just don't understand what should have been done differently at the time the problem(s) were happening. From what was public available to me, it appears as if Cornell found out about the issue on Friday morning and thought it was going to be repaired by early afternoon. I would assume that TPTB has a reasonable degree of confidence that the repairs would happen and the game would be a go. Otherwise would be to assume that the athletic department as a whole were lying to the public, and/or are completely incompetent, or the repair company was lying/incompetent. Obviously things did to go according to plan. It is unreasonable to expect that every possible part or repair could be made in the time given.

I thought that the athletic department did a reasonably good job at keeping the public aware to the progress. There was several updates through various media outlets and social media.

As for playing at another venue, when exactly when was Cornell suppose to secure the ice time (if it was available) at either Cass or The Rink? First thing when the problem with the compressor arose even though they thought it would be fixed? Or later in the afternoon? I suppose as a "just in case" Cornell could spent money and made lots of plans for something that, again based upon the public information, they thought was unnecessary. But then that brings up a whole other set of issues. At what point does the game get moved? Who then would get to see the game? I can easily imagine that given a reasonable amount of warning more people would come to see a game at Cass/The Rink than the capacity is. So what then? Was Umass even willing to play at another venue? Lots of questions.

I think Cornell did the best they could in a bad situation. From what I have read/heard it was Umass that was unwilling to play the game (& I don't blame them they should look out for their players safety first and foremost). It didn't work out and that is a shame, but it is what it is.

I don't know about several updates. My complaint was that when we left to go to Ithaca, the website still said 7:30. But when we got there, they said the eariest we'd get in was 7:30, which meant game close to 8:30. Then said not in till 8, and as they opened the gate at 8, they announced the cancellation. They probably could have updated it earlier, and not said 7:30 untill everyone got there.

The eventual cancellation probably could not have been avoided. The ice was said to be OK overall, they did run the zamboni on it, but soft in front of the goal under the scoreboard. Maybe they couldn't have known about that ahead of time, and it would have been unfair to play that way.

Date: January 13, 2014 05:56AM

Minor annoyance, but the fellow (usher?) who came out into the crowd in Bartels should have been someone project his voice out a bit better. His announcements were only being heard by people very near to him. That was pitiful. Why bother? He could have accomplished the same thing by whispering to the person next to him and saying: "pass it on"....

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: MattS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2014 08:54AM

Jim Hyla
MattS

I don't know about several updates. My complaint was that when we left to go to Ithaca, the website still said 7:30. But when we got there, they said the eariest we'd get in was 7:30, which meant game close to 8:30. Then said not in till 8, and as they opened the gate at 8, they announced the cancellation. They probably could have updated it earlier, and not said 7:30 untill everyone got there.

The eventual cancellation probably could not have been avoided. The ice was said to be OK overall, they did run the zamboni on it, but soft in front of the goal under the scoreboard. Maybe they couldn't have known about that ahead of time, and it would have been unfair to play that way.

There was definitely several updates. I saw the first notice (email & Twitter) at about 10:30 in the morning. There was more of them (twitter/FB/radio) later the day. I will say that I did not check the website since I was getting updates through other means so maybe that could have been updated more often.

I did have the same situation as you. When I left my home for the game at about 5:00 it was still scheduled for 7:30 start. I live about 20 minutes from campus but I had to run an errand beforehand so that is why I left that early. When I arrived at campus at about 6:15 pm I checked twitter and saw that the game had been moved to 8:00 pm start. With the obvious problems going on, I was not surprised to learn the game was pushed back again. I just figured it they were letting the ice freeze more solid or something similar to that. With what was going on I was not surprised by the late game change.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 14, 2014 10:19AM

what percentage of the ticket base uses twitter / vs email / checks a web site.

I know a number of people who never found out. I got one email mid afternoon that said we would be told if the 7:30 timeframe was changed. that never happened.

they could easily use a txt based notification system for people who want to opt in but they dont. they could use email , but didnt keep it current. They didnt change the web site and had a pretty good idea by 5pm that it might be iffy at 7:30.

they have 30-40 people working at the games that could have kept the crowd better informed.. And why didnt they just let people in? what was the reason for making people wait outside? the staff for crowd control was already in place?

anyone get an update yet on refunds for the game?

Date: January 14, 2014 12:04PM

upprdeck
what percentage of the ticket base uses twitter / vs email / checks a web site.

I know a number of people who never found out. I got one email mid afternoon that said we would be told if the 7:30 timeframe was changed. that never happened.

they could easily use a txt based notification system for people who want to opt in but they dont. they could use email , but didnt keep it current. They didnt change the web site and had a pretty good idea by 5pm that it might be iffy at 7:30.

they have 30-40 people working at the games that could have kept the crowd better informed.. And why didnt they just let people in? what was the reason for making people wait outside? the staff for crowd control was already in place?

I totally agree with your points. The reason for keeping people outside was because we are warm bodies. And this is one time that being a warm body hurts them, rather than helping to inflate stats.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 14, 2014 01:02PM

I heard they kept people outside because of heat.. someone here would have to explain to me how much the temp at floor level would really change thet much in the 30-60 min that they let people in, would it even be noticable in that short amount of time.. the outdoor temp air was still close to freezing so a bit of that air would make its way in i suppose.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 14, 2014 01:10PM

upprdeck
I heard they kept people outside because of heat.. someone here would have to explain to me how much the temp at floor level would really change thet much in the 30-60 min that they let people in, would it even be noticable in that short amount of time.. the outdoor temp air was still close to freezing so a bit of that air would make its way in i suppose.

More heat than you might expect. The numbers I have heard are that an adult generates is on the order of 100 W. Multiply that by 4000 and it is a fair amount of heat on the order of 400 kW which is as much as 2 to 4 houses use at full power.

An interesting factoid is that the Mall of America in Minn. does not have a heating system. It relies on the heat generated by motors, lights, and people.

Posted by: Robb (134.223.230.---)
Date: January 14, 2014 01:54PM

Towerroad
upprdeck

More heat than you might expect. The numbers I have heard are that an adult generates is on the order of 100 W. Multiply that by 4000 and it is a fair amount of heat on the order of 400 kW which is as much as 2 to 4 houses use at full power.

An interesting factoid is that the Mall of America in Minn. does not have a heating system. It relies on the heat generated by motors, lights, and people.
Boeing's widebody assembly building in Everett (the largest building in the world) does the same thing - its 1.5 million light bulbs produce plenty of heat. It's also not air conditioned - in the summer, they just open the hangar doors.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 14, 2014 02:09PM

Towerroad
The numbers I have heard are that an adult generates is on the order of 100 W.

Posted by: bas23 (---.bursar.cornell.edu)
Date: January 14, 2014 02:31PM

upprdeck

Just got this email, if you paid cash or had gen adm, "more to come", otherwise you'll automagically get a refund.

email from athletics just now
Information regarding refunds for the cancelled men's game vs. UMass will be announced shortly. Fans who purchased season tickets by credit card or online will be issued refunds automatically and don't need to return the UMass game tickets.

Fans who purchased season tickets by cash or check will need to return UMass tickets to the Athletic Ticket Office in Bartels Hall. Specific details will be announced shortly.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2014 09:40PM

UMass lost to AIC tonight. Shots were 59-18 UMass... AIC went 2/2 shooting in the second... Ouch.

Date: January 15, 2014 12:25AM

Chris '03
UMass lost to AIC tonight. Shots were 59-18 UMass... AIC went 2/2 shooting in the second... Ouch.
Shots in that period were 27-2, goals 1-2.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 24, 2014 01:15PM

Nice article about what it takes to make and keep ice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login