Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the pros - January 2014

Posted by billhoward 
Alumni in the pros - January 2014
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 09:21AM

Matt Moulson finds the side of the net open and gets the game's first goal with a half-minute left in the second period for Buffalo in a 2-1 win hosting the NJ Devils Saturday. Earns second star of the game.

Re: Alumni in the pros - January 2014
Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2014 11:52AM

Colin Greening scored the Sens' first goal, only 14 seconds into the game, en-route to a 4-1 win over the Habs.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 09:35PM

Here's the goal:

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2014 12:13PM

Carolina Hurricanes' "Riley Nash (lower-body) was placed on injured reserve Sunday ... Nash was already expected to be out with the injury through the end of next week, but the team is in need of some extra help up front and needs the roster space. Aaron Palushaj has been recalled from AHL Charlotte to fill that role." [news.rotowire.com]

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2014 02:08PM

Can't take credit for finding this, (saw it posted on Facebook by my friend CJ) but thought it needed to be posted here:

[video.kings.nhl.com]

The text:

"Scrivens Video Bomb
During an in-game interview with FS West's Patrick O'Neal and Jarret Stoll, Ben Scrivens video bombs, as he stares at the camera."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 02:10PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: January 08, 2014 04:56PM

This week Mike Iggulden joined Ryan Vesce with Medvescak Zagreb, which this season began playing in the KHL. The roster features six ECAC alumni.

Date: January 08, 2014 07:05PM

...including Hugh Jessiman and my all-time favorite, Mark "Dexshow" Dekanich!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2014 12:49PM

BMac
...including Hugh Jessiman and my all-time favorite, Mark "Dexshow" Dekanich!
cuss

(I could also use a "pointing and laughing" smiley to express the other half of how I feel about this.)

Posted by: BMac (---.smartleaf.com)
Date: January 10, 2014 12:42PM

Murray was named to the Swedish national team, btw.

Date: January 10, 2014 02:25PM

BMac
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but no he wasn't.

Posted by: cth95 (---.sub-70-215-0.myvzw.com)
Date: January 15, 2014 07:35AM

Douglas Murray gets a (not very flattering) mention in Grantland's NHL dictionary.

[grantland.com]

Zamboni (n.) — the massive contraption that can be seen slowly circling the ice several times a game but is not Douglas Murray.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2014 11:38AM

Josh '99
BMac
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but no he wasn't.
Other than Tallinder, all of those d-men can skate.

Posted by: semsox (137.54.12.---)
Date: January 15, 2014 03:21PM

Scrivens traded to Edmonton for a 3rd round pick, after they sent Dubnyk to Nashville for Matt Hendricks earlier in the day. Tough break for Ben, but he should get more playing time.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 15, 2014 03:31PM

semsox
Scrivens traded to Edmonton for a 3rd round pick, after they sent Dubnyk to Nashville for Matt Hendricks earlier in the day. Tough break for Ben, but he should get more playing time.
Tougher break for his wife, who is from the LA area.

Sounds like the Kings were looking to cash in on Scrivens solidperformance while Quick was out. Selling high, if you will.

Posted by: gomestar (199.67.138.---)
Date: January 15, 2014 03:51PM

playing in front of the Edmonton defense will be a stark contrast to playing in front of the LA defense. Best of luck to Ben.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: January 15, 2014 03:55PM

gomestar
playing in front of the Edmonton defense will be a stark contrast to playing in front of the LA defense. Best of luck to Ben.

From NHL.com: Musical nets.

From wunderground.com: LA v. surprisingly "balmy" in Edmonton.

Posted by: Weder (---.austin.hp.com)
Date: January 15, 2014 04:07PM

KeithK
semsox

Sounds like the Kings were looking to cash in on Scrivens solidperformance while Quick was out. Selling high, if you will.

Scrivens is from the Edmonton area, though. Trade makes a lot of sense for the Kings, who are pretty set with Quick and Jones now.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 15, 2014 04:15PM

KeithK
semsox

Yes, the Kings did well. Scrivens wasn't guarenteed for next year, they have a backup goalie, and now a third round pick. Essentially they didn't give up anything for getting the pick.

Date: January 15, 2014 05:39PM

semsox
I speculated last offseason (though maybe just in my head and I never actually posted it here) that winding up in Edmonton might be an ideal situation for Scrivens. This was before they signed Bryzgalov (a free agent again after this season). It seemed to me at the time that Dubnyk was an OK player but that there was a large enough sample size (over 170 NHL games at this point) of decent-but-not-great performance to make an educated guess that he was probably not ever going to be a star in the NHL, and his performance so far this season isn't likely to have convinced anyone otherwise. Hockeysfuture.com says that "lack of an elite goaltending prospect" is one of the weaknesses of the Oilers' system. And with the Oilers in the basement of the Western Conference and going nowhere this season, and Bryzgalov a free agent after the year and possibly headed back to Russia (not based on any particular source, just my hunch since this seems to be the case for more Russian players lately), and Scrivens a nice local kid, it seems like a good chance for him to show what he can do in a supportive, low-pressure environment with the chance to maybe actually be a starter next year if he plays well.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2014 07:13PM

I was hoping for Scrivens to go to the Isles, but that must have made too much sense.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 15, 2014 09:53PM

Nice goal by Matt Moulson

[prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2014 10:28PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
semsox

Yes, the Kings did well. Scrivens wasn't guarenteed for next year, they have a backup goalie, and now a third round pick. Essentially they didn't give up anything for getting the pick.

More analysis on the trade from Backhand Shelf.

Posted by: sah67 (---.ornith.cornell.edu)
Date: January 16, 2014 10:14AM

jeff '84
Nice goal by Matt Moulson

[prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com]

Although some, including Moulson himself, don't think it actually went in:
[sports.yahoo.com]

Date: January 16, 2014 11:15AM

Trotsky
I was hoping for Scrivens to go to the Isles, but that must have made too much sense.
The Isles seem to already be evaluating Nilsson and Poulin as successors to Nabokov, so being in a three-way competition might not be ideal for him. On the other hand, it'd be easier for a young goalie not to have any media attention or expectations of success.

Date: January 16, 2014 11:44AM

After killing it over 8 games in the ECHL with the South Carolina Stingrays, David LeNeveu is back with the Hartford Wolf Pack, where he previously played for a stretch in 2007-08. With Jason Missiaen having been sent down to Greenville, the Wolf Pack's incumbent starter, naturally, is Dov Grumet-Morris. Sieve-hyphen-Sieve hasn't dressed for the Wolf Pack's last two games after losing 3-1 in Worcester last Friday, so I wonder whether he might be carrying an injury. The Wolf Pack are currently in the middle of a five-game road trip, but those in the area might have a chance to see him play at home against Springfield next Friday; if that's not enough enticement, apparently all Wolf Pack Friday home games feature dollar hot dogs and $2 beers.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: January 16, 2014 12:26PM

Josh '99
After killing it over 8 games in the ECHL with the South Carolina Stingrays, David LeNeveu is back with the Hartford Wolf Pack, where he previously played for a stretch in 2007-08. With Jason Missiaen having been sent down to Greenville, the Wolf Pack's incumbent starter, naturally, is Dov Grumet-Morris. Sieve-hyphen-Sieve hasn't dressed for the Wolf Pack's last two games after losing 3-1 in Worcester last Friday, so I wonder whether he might be carrying an injury. The Wolf Pack are currently in the middle of a five-game road trip, but those in the area might have a chance to see him play at home against Springfield next Friday; if that's not enough enticement, apparently all Wolf Pack Friday home games feature dollar hot dogs and $2 beers.

The $1 hot dogs and $2 beer deal is valid through the end of the 1st intermission.

I went to a game in December, and it turned out to be Dov's first game back in Hartford after being acquired earlier that day. Backing him up was Yale's Jeff Malcom. Malcom got sent to the ECHL affiliate last week.

Brendon Nash is also playing for Hartford after signing an AHL contract. He's 0-7-7 with 22 PIM in 20 games this season.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 12:31PM by RichH.

Date: January 16, 2014 04:19PM

A Kings fan bids farewell to Scrivens with a GIF memorial:
[theroyalhalf.com]

Date: January 16, 2014 04:43PM

Ben gets to play tonight in the Oiler's game @ Minnesota.

Date: January 16, 2014 04:51PM

RichH
The $1 hot dogs and $2 beer deal is valid through the end of the 1st intermission.
One can drink a lot of beer by the end of the first intermission if one puts one's mind to it.

Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course.

Posted by: sockralex (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2014 08:09PM

Josh '99
RichH
One can drink a lot of beer by the end of the first intermission if one puts one's mind to it.

Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course.

Hopefully it is a half decent beer for $2. I've had mixed results in the past. It's also a 2 beer limit so bring your DD to buy you a few to hold on to after the first.

See you there next Friday! I'll wear my Hornby jersey.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 16, 2014 09:41PM

Edmonton may just be the worst defensive team I've ever seen.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 12:10AM

semsox

How quickly can he get a new mask?

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 12:15AM

Rita
Ben gets to play tonight in the Oiler's game @ Minnesota.
And loses 1-4
[www.nhl.com]

Scrivens, starting his first game for Edmonton after being traded from the Los Angeles Kings on Wednesday, made 29 saves.

"I gotta find a way to make another save or two for the guys here, give them a little bit more of a chance," Scrivens said. "The biggest thing we can take out of this game is, we did so many good things in our own zone. Just a couple of mistakes, seemed innocuous at the time, those are the ones that end up in your net."
How many friends to you make when in your first post-game interview you say "The defense in front of me sucks"?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 12:17AM by David Harding.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2014 09:01PM

Riley Nash scored his 5th of the season with Carolina now up 2-1 on Florida in the 3rd period.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2014 04:27PM

Date: January 21, 2014 04:51PM

Ronald '09
Huh, how about that. Lundqvist is ill (unspecified, flu maybe?). Mixed bag for LeNeveu in his couple of games with the Wolf Pack. 2 GA on 26 shots in a 4-2 win over the Adirondack Phantoms (that still sounds weird) on Friday night, 5 GA on 36 shots in a 5-1 loss to Bridgeport on Sunday afternoon. Sieve-hyphen-sieve was dressed as the backup for both games, as he damn well should've been with a much better goalie on the roster. :-} I guess maybe Lenny will be headed back to Hartford once Lundqvist is healthy, maybe to split time with s-h-s. The Wolf Pack are off until Friday. This news didn't break until pretty late this afternoon so hopefully they gave him enough notice to get down from Hartford in this snow!

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.sub-70-192-89.myvzw.com)
Date: January 22, 2014 12:40PM

I guess the queen is healthy again.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: January 22, 2014 03:05PM

While playing for Borås HC in Sweden, Erik Axell and a teammate have founded prohockeyiq.com, which hopes to assist players and teams to find each other across nations and continents.

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2014 05:20PM

Riley Nash pots his 6th goal of the season in Carolina's 6-3 win over Ottawa

Date: January 27, 2014 09:53PM

Would have never guessed at the beginning of the year that at this point of the season Riley has 6G-6A and is +4 for Charlotte while Greening is 4G-6A and is -9 for Ottawa.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 10:23PM

Ben stopped 34 in Oilers 5-1 win over Nashville Sunday night.

Posted by: carpy85 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 28, 2014 06:56PM

In Columbus tonight to support Greening! GOOD LUCK COLIN!

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 12:12AM

SCRIVENS

Date: January 30, 2014 02:27AM

Dafatone
SCRIVENS

From Backhand shelf:

* BEN SCRIVENS. Ben Scrivens, man – he set the NHL RECORD for saves in a regular season shutout last night (regulation). 59 saves in a 3-0 win. The Sharks attempted 100 shots on the Oilers net, all told. Damn. Oh, and Taylor Hall had a goal and two assists. Whatever.

And there is video.

And the NHL.com recap.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 02:35AM by Rita.

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 08:01AM

I mean sure, but Troy Davenport could have made all those saves as well

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 30, 2014 08:52AM

Rita
Dafatone
SCRIVENS

From Backhand shelf:

* BEN SCRIVENS. Ben Scrivens, man – he set the NHL RECORD for saves in a regular season shutout last night (regulation). 59 saves in a 3-0 win. The Sharks attempted 100 shots on the Oilers net, all told. Damn. Oh, and Taylor Hall had a goal and two assists. Whatever.

And there is video.

And the NHL.com recap.

Also set the franchise record for saves in a game. The team matched their franchise record for shots allowed. Scrivens is still wearing silver and black pads and gloves.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 08:56AM

Rita
Dafatone
SCRIVENS

From Backhand shelf:

And there is video.

And the NHL.com recap.

It's the system.

Date: January 30, 2014 09:34AM

Ronald '09
Rita
Dafatone
SCRIVENS

From Backhand shelf:

And there is video.

And the NHL.com recap.

It's the system.

I think Edmonton is using a variant of "The System". :-P

Date: January 30, 2014 09:40AM

I would like this post if I could.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 30, 2014 09:57AM

semsox
I mean sure, but Troy Davenport could have made all those saves as well
And that there is what is known as a truly great inside joke. :)

Date: January 30, 2014 12:25PM

BMac
I would like this post if I could.
BRING IT BACK, AGE! BRING IT BACK!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 30, 2014 02:14PM

Rita
The variant that gives up 59 shots per game.

Date: January 30, 2014 02:21PM

Trotsky
Rita

Off(ten)shoot of "The System" (opponents often shoot) would also work.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 02:40PM

Trotsky
Rita

I think there were 100 shots but only 59 made their way to Ben. :-)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 03:37PM

Oilers' fans probably discussing whether Ben is "The Answer."

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: January 30, 2014 05:42PM

Ronald '09
Rita
Dafatone
SCRIVENS

From Backhand shelf:

And there is video.

And the NHL.com recap.

It's the system.

I like that in the same story, you have a goaltender acknowledging a boiler-plate "a lot of help in front" comment and the coach blasting his skaters twice for standing around watching.

Date: January 30, 2014 07:26PM

RichH
Ronald '09
Rita
Dafatone
SCRIVENS

From Backhand shelf:

And there is video.

And the NHL.com recap.

It's the system.

I like that in the same story, you have a goaltender acknowledging a boiler-plate "a lot of help in front" comment and the coach blasting his skaters twice for standing around watching.
It takes a lot of effort by the defenders to get out of the way of so many shots so they could get to Scrivens!

Date: January 31, 2014 04:09AM

Slacker. Dan DiLeo's career average shots faced per 60 minutes was 75 (4 mins, 5 shots).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 04:10AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 31, 2014 04:15AM

Scrivens on Oilers TV.

Coincidentally, the next sequence in the same show featured some great footage of Dryden. Remarkable, the Cornell connection was not remarked on.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 04:18AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2014 07:03AM

Oilers at Boston Saturday at 1 on NESN.

Date: January 31, 2014 10:45AM

Matt Moulson left the Sabres' game against Phoenix last night after taking a slash to the arm and a cross-check from Shane Doan. He appeared to be in considerable pain but there's been no update on his diagnosis/prognosis today.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 31, 2014 11:54AM

sah67
Matt Moulson left the Sabres' game against Phoenix last night after taking a slash to the arm and a cross-check from Shane Doan. He appeared to be in considerable pain but there's been no update on his diagnosis/prognosis today.

Probably a "Lower body injury." whistle

Date: January 31, 2014 02:28PM

Trotsky
Scrivens on Oilers TV.

Coincidentally, the next sequence in the same show featured some great footage of Dryden. Remarkable, the Cornell connection was not remarked on.

Ben also got a mention on PTI (1/30). I heard on the podcast, so don't know if Kornheiser and Wilbon had any interesting graphics to go along with the shoutout for the shutout.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.google.com)
Date: January 31, 2014 02:42PM

sah67

Date: January 31, 2014 02:42PM

Josh '99
It takes a lot of effort by the defenders to get out of the way of so many shots so they could get to Scrivens!
It takes an utter lack of possession for one side to attempt 100 shots.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login