Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Estero (?!!?) Roll Call

Posted by LaJollaRed 
Estero (?!!?) Roll Call
Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2013 09:12PM

So, yeah?

I live in South Florida now...I think I'm going to do it. The rink is a few hours away, so I think I'll just make it to one night, but any recommendations for things to do in Estero the afternoon of the game?

Re: Estero (?!!?) Roll Call
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2013 09:14PM

LaJollaRed
So, yeah?

I live in South Florida now...I think I'm going to do it. The rink is a few hours away, so I think I'll just make it to one night, but any recommendations for things to do in Estero the afternoon of the game?

Well, the second day it'll be our game...

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2013 10:56AM

LaJollaRed
So, yeah?

As to what to do before the game, there is shopping at the Miromar Outlet Mall which is next door to the arena. Other shopping / dining options are the Coconut Point Mall (route 41 in Estero ~ 10 min from the rink, south of Corkscrew Road) and Gulf Coast Town Mall (up the road from the rink, Alico Road and Ben Griffin Intersection). Both Gulf Coast and Coconut Point have mega-movie theaters, so if the weather is bad, you can catch a flix.

If you are a golfer, you can try and get a tee time at one of the many local courses. However, with the snowbirds (and their visiting families) now down, might want to book that in advance. I can get you a few recommendations if needed (my parents are golfers).

There is the Ding Darling wildlife preserve on Sanibel. However, due to the traffic (only 2-lanes.. one way in each direction roads on Sanibel and it moves at a crawl), I would recommend this only if we have the late game (which we do on Saturday). It is a $6 toll (cash or sunpass) to cross the sanibel causeway. Sanibel is a quaint place to travel around (might want to rent a bike), so if you do have time a nice way to spend the afternoon (lots of shops, restaurants)

If you have kids, there is the Naples Zoo (haven't been, so can't comment much beyond that it exists), and I think a Manatee viewing area somewhere in N. Ft. Myers. Also in N. Ft. Myers is the Shell Factory, and the Imaginarium in Ft. Myers (near downtown).

If you have a designated driver there are some breweries: Ft Myers Brewery, Point Ybel is opened on 12/14 and the Naples Beach Brewery. The latter seems to only have tours/tastings and doesn't appear to sell food or beer on the premises. The Ft. Myers Brewery usually has food trucks on the premises and sells its beer in growlers.

Hope this helps and if Google maps says that it should take 20 min to get somewhere, add in some extra time, especially if your travels take you on Route 41.

I'll be there. Not sure yet if my usual +2s are coming along too.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 11:05AM by Rita.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 18, 2013 07:37PM

I was thinking about it but thanks to absurd rental car prices in Florida I decided to pass. I'm already getting robbed enough for airfare this Christmas season.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2013 08:09PM

KeithK
I was thinking about it but thanks to absurd rental car prices in Florida I decided to pass. I'm already getting robbed enough this Christmas season.

FYP

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2013 12:12AM

LaJollaRed
So, yeah?

Several years ago we rented kayaks from this place and had a good time paddling around for a couple of hours. [www.tarponbayexplorers.com]

Posted by: jkahn (---.unsi.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 10:40AM

LaJollaRed
So, yeah?

A good pre-game lunch spot that we like is Luna Rossa in the Miromar Mall right by the rink - good pizza and other Italian stuff at reasonable prices.
A couple of years ago we spent some time in Koreshan State Park, on Corkscrew west of 41 - it's the site of an old religious commune and there are some historical buildings and it's an interesting place to walk around outdoors and kill some time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login