Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni Heroics

Posted by cbuckser 
Alumni Heroics
Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: December 13, 2013 05:20PM

Re: Alumni Heroics
Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: December 13, 2013 08:28PM

His son was "making a trip to New York state to visit the campus of an NCAA university".

Posted by: David Harding (---.fnal.gov)
Date: December 13, 2013 08:48PM

Roy 82

His son was "making a trip to New York state to visit the campus of an NCAA university".

The most direct route from Toronto to Ithaca would not have taken them through DeWitt. Or to Troy or Schenectedy. Or Potsdam or Canton. I'd guess Hamiliton.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2013 09:03PM

Roy 82

Based upon where the accident occurred, it's not likely they were going to Cornell. More likely Colgate, Union or RPI. Maybe Union, since they had a Wednesday game. Both RPI and Colgate have home games this weekend.

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 14, 2013 12:03PM

I'm not so sure "Alumni Heroics" the correct title here.

In reading the article linked in the first posting, Peter Shier didn't even seem sure about stopping.
Kevin Shier:
My dad asked if we should stop; then I said ‘yes’. You see people doing things like that on the news, but you never think it’s going to happen to you but obviously I’m glad we stopped and helped out.”

And, it was Kevin Shier and another man who pulled the soldier from his burning truck.

So, let's give Kevin Shier his just congratulations on being a brave young man, of whom his parents should be chest-thumping proud!!!

Not meaning to trash Peter Shier or any other alumnus. But, let's acknowledge the true hero here, Kevin!!! How many here would have done what he did?

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2013 09:23PM

There were 5 people who stopped to help, including the Shiers. It took all of them to save his life, even if they didn't all actually haul the guy out of the burning vehicle. I saw an interview with two of the other "heroes" -- who are lawyers from Syracuse. They made it clear that but for the collective effort it might have ended in tragedy.

Date: December 15, 2013 12:59AM

dag14
There were 5 people who stopped to help, including the Shiers. It took all of them to save his life, even if they didn't all actually haul the guy out of the burning vehicle. I saw an interview with two of the other "heroes" -- who are lawyers from Syracuse. They made it clear that but for the collective effort it might have ended in tragedy.

Neither of us were at that accident scene. And frankly I don't see where the profession of any of the interviewees has any relevance here. If the intent is to paint Peter Shier as a hero, you don't know that. Honestly, I don't know, for sure, that he's not. My point is that trying paint Peter Shier a hero, based on the evidence presented is pure embellishment because he is a Cornell Alumnus. And when you mix it with nary a word about his obviously heroic son, I think it's shameful.

Pete is known to frequent this site. I expect he'd enjoy reading words of praise about his son.

I don't expect any here to agree with these words, but felt it needed to be "said".

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2013 06:50AM

Good, let's start a battle on a Cornell hockey appreciation-discussion site about whether one of Cornell's best players and his son are heros, in what proportion, or just guys who were there.

As to whether a person's profession has news value: Two of the rescuers were lawyers. That is a punch line waiting. Either "Satan ... fires of hell ... professional courtesy" or "... so the second lawyer said, 'Here, I've got *two* business cards."

Date: December 15, 2013 08:26AM

No battle here. I call "bullshit" where I see it. When I saw "Alumni Heroics", then read the story, I called "bullshit".

Based on the article, I credit Peter Shier with raising a fine young man for his son- 30 seconds from being involved in an explosion! Wow!!!

I think that is more worthy of recognition than all of the great hockey accomplishments in the world! I'll bet Pete's pretty proud of this, as well.

I have no more to say on this.......

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2013 08:37AM

Here's the latest story of what happened. And yes, he was traveling to Union.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 15, 2013 08:55AM

Jim Hyla
Here's the latest story of what happened. And yes, he was traveling to Union.

Great story, thanks for posting. (Note in this version, there's no question mark -- "I think we should stop," [his]father says..." )

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-209-130.myvzw.com)
Date: December 15, 2013 09:04AM

redice
No battle here. I call "bullshit" where I see it. When I saw "Alumni Heroics", then read the story, I called "bullshit".

Based on the article, I credit Peter Shier with raising a fine young man for his son- 30 seconds from being involved in an explosion! Wow!!!

I think that is more worthy of recognition than all of the great hockey accomplishments in the world! I'll bet Pete's pretty proud of this, as well.

OK, fair enough, but while you have our attention could you fill us in on what happened in the JonBenet Ramsey case?

Date: December 15, 2013 09:40AM

Thanks, Jim.

Marty: I hope that is said in jest. If not, try not to be such an ass....... It's unbecoming.

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2013 10:31AM

Yeah it is highly important that a thread title is perfectly descriptive to everyone. Much more so than portion about how people helped save a person life.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2013 04:40PM

I think getting caught up in petty arguments and pedantics is clearly what a thread like this should be about. Well done everyone.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: December 15, 2013 08:59PM

French Rage
I think getting caught up in petty arguments and pedantics is clearly what a thread like this should be about. Well done everyone.

And your comments add what?

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2013 01:09AM

redice
French Rage

An opinion.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2013 01:32AM by Roy 82.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 16, 2013 07:44AM

Roy 82
redice
French Rage

An opinion.

And you know what they say about opinions... deadhorse

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2013 11:19AM

French Rage
Otherwise it wouldn't be in keeping with, you know, what every other thread on this forum eventually becomes. :-D

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 16, 2013 08:52PM

redice

Important stand to take. Can't believe OP is persisting in his inhumane recognition of a dude who helped save a life.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 17, 2013 03:36PM

ugarte
redice

Important stand to take. Can't believe OP is persisting in his inhumane recognition of a dude who helped save a life.

You can't spell Lynah Faithful without "a huffy anthill."

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2013 07:30PM

Trotsky
ugarte
redice

You can't spell Lynah Faithful without "a huffy anthill."

Another sad example of formicidaeism.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 01:10AM

I must confess that I failed to anticipate the direction this thread has taken.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 07:50AM

cbuckser
I must confess that I failed to anticipate the direction this thread has taken.
And you only had to plan one move ahead. Shame.

Imagine eLynah in the Harkness era, the 1970 team went 28-0-1, and you posted, "Thank you, Ned, for such a perfect season for Cornell fans." TYou would ignite a thread about Cornell's failure to reach perfection, what the meaning of perfection is, what "is" is, grading standards, how hockey took away from war protests, and the lack of parking near Lynah. I would have been upset that the title game wasn't streamed in HD.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 03, 2014 08:33AM

Shier commits to Union.:`-(

Posted by: BearLover (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 05:18PM

What the hell? Did Cornell just not recruit this guy?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 07:01PM

Sometimes it just doesn't happen. Remember when we lost Pattison's son.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 09:21PM

We didn't get John Hughes daughter, Sarah, either. She went to Yale.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 10:13PM

dbilmes

Yeah but her forecheck sucked anyways.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2014 12:42AM

French Rage
dbilmes

Yeah but her forecheck sucked anyways.

Toe pick!

Posted by: pman78 (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 06, 2014 10:28PM

Hi All
Pete Shier '78 here. Thanks for all the nice words about my son Kevin and the story of the unfortunate truck accident we came upon on I-90. There were many people involved in helping out along with us but Kevin seems to have generated a lot of press and recognition, I suspect primarily because of his age (20) and the recruiting trip/hockey player/truck blowing up 15 secs after the soldier was pulled from it story line.

He showed remarkable bravery and also has been very humble in the interviews he's done here in Canada and in the US. His concern has been more about the soldier and his well being than anything else to be honest. The US Military has also called and is considering him for a Conspicuous Service Medal and the Buffalo Sabres might want to do a presentation of some kind when the solider has recovered sufficiently so it's all a bit heady for him given his low key nature.

And yes, unfortuntely he won't be donning the Red and White at Lynah next year but instead will head up the road to Union. Cornell was very interested in him but he just felt that a smaller school would be more to his liking. Even my reminders about '...the Hot Truck, Dunbar's and The Chapter House...' couldn't change his mind! My dilema will be who to cheer for when Union plays at Lynah next year. ;-)

Thanks again all for the nice words and thoughts about my son. Much appreciated.

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2014 12:12AM

pman78
My dilema will be who to cheer for when Union plays at Lynah next year. ;-)
That's easy - hat trick for Kevin, OT win for the Big Red! :)

Congrats on raising a son who appears to be a great young man.

Posted by: cbuckser (172.56.17.---)
Date: January 07, 2014 12:05PM

Robb
Congrats on raising a son who appears to be a great young man.
Absolutely. I can only hope I do nearly as well with my children.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login