Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Art Kaminsky Gone at 66

Posted by margolism 
Art Kaminsky Gone at 66
Posted by: margolism (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2013 08:35PM

Re: Art Kaminsky Gone at 66
Posted by: dbilmes (---.183.34.105.adsl.snet.net)
Date: December 07, 2013 09:45PM

margolism
Cornell alum, NHL super agent

Link 1

Ken Dryden article on Art Kaminsky, on Sports Illustrated today

What a wonderful story. We should all be lucky enough to have the kind of friendship these two men had.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2013 06:54AM

Fascinating guy. He really was driven to succeed but also personable. For a while before the internet, Art was a mainstay at dinky college hockey newsletter that was about the only way to follow college hockey. R.I.P.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2013 04:32PM

billhoward
Fascinating guy. He really was driven to succeed but also personable. For a while before the internet, Art was a mainstay at dinky college hockey newsletter that was about the only way to follow college hockey. R.I.P.
Was that Don Birchmeyer's? (sp?)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2013 05:55PM

Trotsky
billhoward

Don T Birkmayer "The Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter" He still lives at Kendell at Ithaca. I called him and he didn't yet hear about Art Kaminsky's death. So I'm glad you brought him up.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 02:18PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
billhoward

Don T Birkmayer "The Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter" He still lives at Kendell at Ithaca. I called him and he didn't yet hear about Art Kaminsky's death. So I'm glad you brought him up.
Thanks I had wondered if Don Birkmayer was still alive when I read here about Kaminsky. Birkmayer was the long-time PA announcer at RPI. When he retired he moved to Ithaca where IIRC his son, also named Don, lived.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: December 10, 2013 04:29PM

ursusminor

Birkmayer was the long-time PA announcer at RPI. When he retired he moved to Ithaca...

Because he got tired of all those fancy goals and high-scoring games in Troy? :-}

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: December 10, 2013 05:21PM

ursusminor
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
billhoward

Thanks I had wondered if Don Birkmayer was still alive when I read here about Kaminsky. Birkmayer was the long-time PA announcer at RPI. When he retired he moved to Ithaca where IIRC his son, also named Don, lived.

He may live in Ithaca, but he's still RPI with email name "dtbrpi".

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: December 26, 2013 12:54PM

Here's another story about Art, this one in Newsday: http://www.newsday.com/sports/pioneering-sports-agent-art-kaminsky-dies-at-66-1.6558827

Both Dryden and Art were at MSG this year, and Art died the following Thursday. While we all have to suck it up and accept death, cancer, and similar misfortunes, what a missed opportunity for Cornell fans to show their appreciation for one of their greatest fellow fans on the eve of his departure from this life. This really hurts because it didn't have to be this way.

Maybe next year we can observe a minute of silence and respect.

Posted by: pman78 (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 06, 2014 09:53PM

Did not know about this and it saddens me to hear it.
Art introduced himself to me in my Sr. year and negotiated my contract with the Minnesota North Stars after I graduated from Cornell. He gave me what he termed, the 'Cornell Discount' (i.e. free) for doing the deal which was incredible.
He was generous and helpful to someone he didn't really even know and his loyalty to Cornell was remarkable.
66 years of age is way too early. Condolences to his family.

Pete Shier, '78

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2014 09:14PM

Art was a Cornellian who flew a bit lower on the recognizability radar than say Christopher Reeve. He was one of those people who gave Cornell its incredible vibrancy and diversity. How many high-powered lawyers do you know who continued to dabble in hockey* - first writing, then representing. Art had a little bit of Peter Pan ("I won't grow up";) and still being a grownup as an adult.

* OK, one other Cornellian lawyer, at least, continues to dabble in hockey. But let's not hijack this thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login