Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The Real Reason Harvard Sucks at Hockey

Posted by Towerroad 
The Real Reason Harvard Sucks at Hockey
Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 01:29PM

Re: The Real Reason Harvard Sucks at Hockey
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 02:09PM

Towerroad
[news.yahoo.com]
I didn't know that, either. I probably would have guessed Toronto. TIL the capital of Canada is Ottawa. I wonder when I'll ever use that knowledge?

These ambush-style proofs of ignorance only work when the target audience considers the information obvious. Thus, a video demonstrating Harvard students not being able to, say, enumerate the continents or point out Britain on a map would be funny.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 02:26PM

Kyle Rose
These ambush-style proofs of ignorance only work when the target audience considers the information obvious.

"How do you synthesize a methylated alkaloid?"

Also you know the responses are edited to show only the stupidest.

And FWIW, the only reason I know the capital of Nevada is because of Bugs Bunny. That's why they call it trivia.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2013 02:38PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 02:54PM

When someone pitches you a slow one right over the middle are you really going to question it?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 20, 2013 04:19PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
These ambush-style proofs of ignorance only work when the target audience considers the information obvious.

And FWIW, the only reason I know the capital of Nevada is because of Bugs Bunny. That's why they call it trivia.

I knew I should've take that right turn at Carson City? Huh?

Date: November 20, 2013 04:47PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Kyle Rose

I knew I should've take that right turn at Carson City? Huh?

Different episode.

He knew he should have taken that right turn at Albuquerque.

In the episode with the gangsters, the exchange is:

"Alright, rabbit. Whaddya know?"

"Me? I know lotsa things! ... Carson City is the capital of Nevada!"

1:35 here: [www.supercartoons.net]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2013 04:51PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 20, 2013 05:35PM

This whole thing was stupid. Give me a control group.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 07:09PM

Jim Hyla
This whole thing was stupid. Give me a control group.

You want control? "Skate Skate Skate Turrnnn Turrnnn Bend Over Bend Over Bend Over...."

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 08:47PM

Granted that knowledge of facts has little to do with intelligence, although the ability to retain a lot of facts may have, but I would expect people who attend what is usually considered an elite college to know what the capital of our northern neighbor is.

I wonder if Obama knows it.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2013 08:48PM

No the real reason is the great game, BC 5 Harvard 0 6:08 to go and BC is 2 men up.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2013 09:01PM

Actually it was coincidental 17 min penalties. Harvard still loses 5-1.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 20, 2013 10:26PM

ursusminor
Granted that knowledge of facts has little to do with intelligence, although the ability to retain a lot of facts may have, but I would expect people who attend what is usually considered an elite college to know what the capital of our northern neighbor is.
I'll bet you're disappointed a lot.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2013 07:55AM

The funniest part of the video was when the interviewer asked the woman who answered correctly if she was Canadian so quickly after she had answered and of course (or it wouldn't have made the video) she was!

Date: November 21, 2013 10:03AM

Kyle Rose
ursusminor
I'll bet you're disappointed a lot.
Yes, although mainly about the results of RPI-Union games. :-D

Seriously, I would think that students who are admitted to a highly selective college, as Harvard is, would have read enough, whether it is books, newspapers or the Internet, that they would have picked up this information, even if it was never taught to them. It is, of course, possible that they spoke to several hundred students to get the few that are in this video. It is also possible that these were random people who walked though the Harvard campus but aren't students there.

Date: November 21, 2013 10:19AM

You may be overestimating the breadth of education, and the curiosity, of these students. Stovepiping of students is becoming a big problem, even at elite schools. Arts students don't know calculus, science students don't know who Ibsen was, and tech students don't know much of anything outside their field. There are probably a hundred dissertations exploring the narrowing of the academic mind (each of them no doubt from a narrow perspective).

Of course, it was easier to be a Renaissance Man or Woman when all of human knowledge fit on one bookcase. But it would be nice if all educated people has a passing familiarity with the basics of each field of human endeavor, particularly history, geography and political science if they are voters.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2013 10:21AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 10:59AM

Trotsky
it would be nice if all educated people has a passing familiarity with the basics of each field of human endeavor, particularly history, geography and political science if they are voters.
How about economics?

Date: November 21, 2013 10:59AM

ursusminor
Seriously, I would think that students who are admitted to a highly selective college, as Harvard is, would have read enough, whether it is books, newspapers or the Internet, that they would have picked up this information, even if it was never taught to them.
I just don't buy this argument. I read probably more than 5,000,000 news-ish words each year and listen to the audio edition of the Economist with regularity, and I did not know that Ottawa was the capital of Canada. I'm sure I have run across it—probably lots of times—but it's just not important enough to have stood out in anything I've read. Canada's government is rarely in the news, and when it is it's usually presented as "Canada" or "the Canadian parliament".

(I'll never forget it now, though... Thanks for cluttering my brain with useless nonsense. Maybe I can flush it out with some more Simpsons quotes.)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2013 11:28AM

Kyle Rose
ursusminor
Seriously, I would think that students who are admitted to a highly selective college, as Harvard is, would have read enough, whether it is books, newspapers or the Internet, that they would have picked up this information, even if it was never taught to them.
I just don't buy this argument. I read probably more than 5,000,000 news-ish words each year and listen to the audio edition of the Economist with regularity, and I did not know that Ottawa was the capital of Canada.
So YOU'RE the reason Cornell isn't winning lately. :-}

Date: November 21, 2013 11:33AM

Josh '99
Kyle Rose
ursusminor
I just don't buy this argument. I read probably more than 5,000,000 news-ish words each year and listen to the audio edition of the Economist with regularity, and I did not know that Ottawa was the capital of Canada.
So YOU'RE the reason Cornell isn't winning lately. :-}
"Sex Cauldron? I thought they closed that place down!"

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 21, 2013 12:14PM

Trotsky
science students don't know who Ibsen was.

Didn't he play Jed Clampett?

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2013 01:48PM

Kyle Rose

I read probably more than 5,000,000 news-ish words each year and listen to the audio edition of the Economist with regularity, and I did not know that Ottawa was the capital of Canada. I'm sure I have run across it—probably lots of times—but it's just not important enough to have stood out in anything I've read. Canada's government is rarely in the news, and when it is it's usually presented as "Canada" or "the Canadian parliament".

What's the name of Colin Greening's current team?

Date: November 21, 2013 02:03PM

KeithK
Trotsky
it would be nice if all educated people has a passing familiarity with the basics of each field of human endeavor, particularly history, geography and political science if they are voters.
How about economics?

De gustibus non est disputandum. (Though it would be nice if everybody knew the definitions before entering the arena, even if they just rote memorized them. I got through Cornell, Stanford and my first three jobs without knowing economics basics that should be taught in high school.)

Date: November 22, 2013 12:12AM

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 22, 2013 09:28AM

Maybe they should ask the hockey team ???

Posted by: nr53 (186.1.205.---)
Date: November 22, 2013 02:35PM

They just need to watch Canadian Bacon... or did I just reference a movie they're too young to have watched?

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: November 25, 2013 09:17AM

Kyle Rose

(I'll never forget it now, though... Thanks for cluttering my brain with useless nonsense. Maybe I can flush it out with some more Simpsons quotes.)
"Red Squeezebuzzer?"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login