Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

11/9 Union

Posted by Trotsky 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 11/9 Union
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2013 02:15PM

Robb
I know I should let this die (or dieeeeeeeeeeeee, depending whether you're a whippersnapper), but put me in the camp of people who think a strong ECAC is good for Cornell.

Since 2000, the WCHA has won 7 of the 14 titles. Only ONE of those was won by the WCHA regular season champ (Denver 2005). The other six were won by teams who came in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (twice each). Between 1985 and 199 (the other years of essentially the same WCHA), they only won 4 out of 15 tournaments, and all 4 of those teams won the McNaughton (reg season) and the WCHA tournament. The conference got stronger after 2000, resulting in more national titles for the conference, but fewer for the "top" team in the conference. Can it really be a coincidence that the ECAC's recent title was won by our 3rd place team in a year when the rest of the conference did not lose a postseason game outside of the conference? I don't believe that for a second.

In the end, I think it comes down to a value judgement: would you take a reduced chance at winning a Cleary Bedpan and a Whitelaw Trophy for an increased chance at doing better in the NCAAs in general and maybe even winning the darn thing? It really is a tough call, but for me, I'd rather be known as a perennial Frozen Four team than a team who perennially runs away with a weak league and then wins an NCAA game every so often.

+1

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.81.---)
Date: November 17, 2013 02:31PM

This whole argument is a bit silly, as it would appear we don't really have a choice anymore. Things have changed, at least in the short- to medium- term, and Cornell isn't going to run roughshod over the league each year. We're going to have to compete with a number of very teams in order to get to, and succeed in, the NCAA's.

That said, it seems crazy to me to not prefer a team that barrels through league play (regular season and tournament). What about the 2000's indicates that doesn't prepare Cornell well for the NCAA's? The winning at least 1 game each time they were in the NCAAs? The trip to the Frozen Four? The multiple one-goal (often OT) losses to national powerhouses?

The first prerequisite for success in the NCAA's is being in it. That happened - a lot - when Cornell was dominating the league. And IMO, the team looked like they belonged every year they were there.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2013 03:15PM

Jordan 04
What about the 2000's indicates that doesn't prepare Cornell well for the NCAA's?
A missing banner.

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2013 04:01PM

Jordan 04
This whole argument is a bit silly, as it would appear we don't really have a choice anymore. Things have changed, at least in the short- to medium- term, and Cornell isn't going to run roughshod over the league each year. We're going to have to compete with a number of very teams in order to get to, and succeed in, the NCAA's.

That said, it seems crazy to me to not prefer a team that barrels through league play (regular season and tournament). What about the 2000's indicates that doesn't prepare Cornell well for the NCAA's? The winning at least 1 game each time they were in the NCAAs? The trip to the Frozen Four? The multiple one-goal (often OT) losses to national powerhouses?
The fact that until 2012 over Michigan, we never (maybe once? too lazy to look up) beat a higher seeded team. If you go with that trend, the only way to win it all is to go in with the #1 seed, and that didn't work either.

As Age says, "where's the banner?"

The first prerequisite for success in the NCAA's is being in it. That happened - a lot - when Cornell was dominating the league. And IMO, the team looked like they belonged every year they were there.
Obviously dominating a weak league is a clear path to the dance. Coming in 4th in the best conference in the nation is ALSO a clear path to the dance. So, just wanting to get to the dance is not a reason to prefer one to the other. I firmly believe that the 4th best team from the best conference has a better chance to win than a team that gets there by dominating a weak conference - that's happened at least twice since 2000, while no team that has dominated a weak conference has won it.

Posted by: KGR11 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2013 05:15PM

Robb

The fact that until 2012 over Michigan, we never (maybe once? too lazy to look up) beat a higher seeded team. If you go with that trend, the only way to win it all is to go in with the #1 seed, and that didn't work either.

Obviously dominating a weak league is a clear path to the dance. Coming in 4th in the best conference in the nation is ALSO a clear path to the dance. So, just wanting to get to the dance is not a reason to prefer one to the other. I firmly believe that the 4th best team from the best conference has a better chance to win than a team that gets there by dominating a weak conference - that's happened at least twice since 2000, while no team that has dominated a weak conference has won it.

We did beat Northeastern when they were a 2 seed and we were a 3 in 2009. Not sure if there are any other instances.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2013 08:42PM

KGR11
Robb

We did beat Northeastern when they were a 2 seed and we were a 3 in 2009. Not sure if there are any other instances.

1997, Cornell as a 6W seed beat Miami (3W)

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 17, 2013 09:38PM

RichH
KGR11
Robb

Yes, but as I recall we were pretty infuriated by that seeding at the time. By the numbers Cornell and Miami should have been the 4-5 game that year but were switched to 3-6 for other reasons (can't remember if it was better second round matchup or something else). Cornell had a higher total PWR than Miami, which to date had been the usual way to set seeds. Instead they gave Miami the higher seed because they won the head to head comparison, largely on the strength of their win at Lynah the previous November. Long story short, that's not a really good counter example.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 17, 2013 09:44PM

How about we compromise? Let's all root for Cornell to dominate a conference that is the best in college hockey?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2013 09:57PM

KeithK
RichH
KGR11
Robb

Yes, but as I recall we were pretty infuriated by that seeding at the time. By the numbers Cornell and Miami should have been the 4-5 game that year but were switched to 3-6 for other reasons (can't remember if it was better second round matchup or something else). Cornell had a higher total PWR than Miami, which to date had been the usual way to set seeds. Instead they gave Miami the higher seed because they won the head to head comparison, largely on the strength of their win at Lynah the previous November. Long story short, that's not a really good counter example.

Sure, except for the cold facts of seeds. It still felt great beating future nemesis Mark Mazzolini, who, as rumor had it at the time, told his Miami team not to pack their bags before heading to the arena because they were going to stick around the extra day. Anyway, you can pick a similar example in nearly every tournament seeding. IIRC, one of either 2005 or 2006 we were given the 2 seed due to a flip, and you can't say Quinnipiac deserved the 5 seed over Harvard in 2002, but it gave us a very lucky break in the first-round matchup.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2013 12:43PM

BearLover
RichH
Just get in, and it's "why not us?" Yale did exactly that.
Yet another reason why I'd rather be dominating the ECAC every year faint
But the same contributing factors (especially broader dispersion of talented players) have led to Cornell not dominating the ECAC every year and to the wide-open tournament field that RichH mentioned and you seem to agree is a good thing. I don't know that you can have one without the other.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2013 12:45PM

RichH
Now you have teams like BSU, RIT, Miami, and UVM making the Frozen Four on a regular basis. Just get in, and it's "why not us?" Yale did exactly that.
*snicker*

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login