Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

UNO

Posted by Jim Hyla 
UNO
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2013 09:21PM

Here are links to some of the discussions.

Their website pregame, with some video interviews.

Next, their game notes and our game notes.

I didn't look for a fan site.

Re: UNO
Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 06:28AM

Will DeSwardt be eligible to play?
Could his behavior in the York game be a harbinger of last season?

thud

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: October 25, 2013 07:59AM

Johnny 5

thud

All he got was Game Misconduct, not DQ, so yes to #1 and who knows to #2. But all teams are going to get Contact to Head penalties, so I'm not worried.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 08:33AM

Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

thud

All he got was Game Misconduct, not DQ, so yes to #1 and who knows to #2. But all teams are going to get Contact to Head penalties, so I'm not worried.

Would an exhibition DQ result in sitting out the next game?

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2013 10:52AM

marty
Jim Hyla
Johnny 5

thud

Would an exhibition DQ result in sitting out the next game?

Yes.

Posted by: sah67 (---.ornith.cornell.edu)
Date: October 25, 2013 11:56AM

Jim Hyla

I didn't look for a fan site.

[www.mavpuck.com]

Date: October 25, 2013 12:57PM

ECAC Radio features Iles and Saulnier.

Date: October 25, 2013 01:03PM

USCHO picks us to split with UNO.

No. 19 Cornell at Nebraska-Omaha
Candace: The Mavericks have looked very inconsistent to start the year, but have two weekends under their belt. Meanwhile, this is the season opener for Cornell. I’m thinking split. Nebraska-Omaha 4-2, Cornell 4-2
Matthew: UNO has been up-and-down so far this season and is having serious issues staying out of the box, as the Mavericks were called for 21 penalties last weekend at Northern Michigan and have been hit with 34 in total in their first four games. That needs to change this weekend against Cornell ahead of a grueling November slate for UNO: Denver, North Dakota, Michigan and Miami. There’s an easy joke to be made here about how the Big Red stands a good chance of winning in Nebraska this weekend, but I do think Cornell will pick up one ‘W’ this weekend. Cornell 4-2, Nebraska-Omaha 3-1

Read more: [www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: October 25, 2013 02:37PM

Jim Hyla

Candace: The Mavericks have looked very inconsistent to start the year, but have two weekends under their belt. Meanwhile, this is the season opener for Cornell. I’m thinking split. Nebraska-Omaha 4-2, Cornell 4-2
Matthew: UNO has been up-and-down so far this season and is having serious issues staying out of the box, as the Mavericks were called for 21 penalties last weekend at Northern Michigan and have been hit with 34 in total in their first four games. That needs to change this weekend against Cornell ahead of a grueling November slate for UNO: Denver, North Dakota, Michigan and Miami. There’s an easy joke to be made here about how the Big Red stands a good chance of winning in Nebraska this weekend, but I do think Cornell will pick up one ‘W’ this weekend. Cornell 4-2, Nebraska-Omaha 3-1

It might be a very busy weekend for the scorekeeper and penalty box door guys this weekend.

LGR!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 03:58PM

Jim Hyla

There’s an easy joke to be made here about how the Big Red stands a good chance of winning in Nebraska this weekend, but I do think Cornell will pick up one ‘W’ this weekend.

Oh, I get it, because they're yet another school who think their team is the "Big Red." Along with Nebraska-Lincoln, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Indiana...

Posted by: Dafatone (---.d.usd.edu)
Date: October 25, 2013 04:15PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

There’s an easy joke to be made here about how the Big Red stands a good chance of winning in Nebraska this weekend, but I do think Cornell will pick up one ‘W’ this weekend.

Oh, I get it, because they're yet another school who think their team is the "Big Red." Along with Nebraska-Lincoln, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Indiana...

A thread on their fan site is called "Big Red (the original) Watch", about us. Someone in the thread suggests they change it to "Big Red (The Actual and Only)". I think UNO and UNL don't get along all that well.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 25, 2013 04:39PM

FYI, promo code "IvyHockey2013" gives a 20% discount on the Ivy League Digital Network if you sign up this weekend. I just did the 4-month plan for ~$27 figuring that'll be good to get through the bulk of the hockey regular season.

Posted by: quickrabbit5 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: October 25, 2013 06:56PM

Jordan 04
FYI, promo code "IvyHockey2013" gives a 20% discount on the Ivy League Digital Network if you sign up this weekend. I just did the 4-month plan for ~$27 figuring that'll be good to get through the bulk of the hockey regular season.

Edit: Found the other thread on it and it answers most my questions. My bad.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2013 07:09PM by quickrabbit5.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 08:56PM

Dafatone
RichH
Jim Hyla

A thread on their fan site is called "Big Red (the original) Watch", about us. Someone in the thread suggests they change it to "Big Red (The Actual and Only)". I think UNO and UNL don't get along all that well.
Original Famous Red

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 09:03PM

First goal for the good guys. Joakim Ryan.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2013 09:13PM

Terrible goal to give up with .2 seconds to go - Iisle flat on his belly after scrum

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 09:18PM

Generally good to see hockey. Lots of chances for us, particularly breakaways; the shot totals haven't really reflected the balance of play. Penalty kill, power play look fine. The UNO announcers seem genuinely impressed with our poke checking and pass stealing.

I have a feeling we'll bury a few of these chances before the game is out.

Date: October 25, 2013 09:28PM

When was the last time a visiting announce team said tha Cornell was "bigger, stronger and quicker" than Omaha

Y
Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 09:49PM

UNO scores on a penalty shot... why, ghost of Joe Nieuwendyk, WHY!?!?

Posted by: BearLover (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 10:13PM

Have we heard this story before?: Iles flops, Cornell takes too many penalties, midwestern refs screw Cornell

Date: October 25, 2013 11:09PM

Good win for Cornell. A lot of positives to take away from this game. Penalty kill was awesome with several shorthanded odd man rushes. Shots on goal were not indicative of the territorial advantage Cornell enjoyed. Now lets see what's left in the tank for tomorrow night.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 01:55AM

So uh, did we have any fan presence whatsoever? The "Hockey in Omaha" thread has me and one other poster, I think. I'm not expecting a huge Cornell crowd, but it'd be nice to be joining others, just a little, in some cheers.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 07:02AM

Recap here.

Date: October 26, 2013 08:32AM

Swampy
Recap here.

Here's CornellBigRed.com, The Ithaca Journal, and the Omaha World-Herald. The Omaha paper has some nice pictures.

As an aside did you see the "glove save" from the BC-Minny game on ESPN. CHN has the video.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 08:35AM

Would be interesting to know why announcers were convinced the replayed goal was good and so shocked it was not allowed. And the penalty shot, was that even close to being a play where the guy was clearly ahead of be d and denied a shot?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 10:10AM

upprdeck
And the penalty shot, was that even close to being a play where the guy was clearly ahead of be d and denied a shot?
Yes.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2013 04:04PM

Weird promo picture for Omaha series on CU Athletics website: Tiitinen and four other players in game whites embracing - in an EMPTY Lynah.wtf

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.253.40.69.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 04:29PM

Dafatone
So uh, did we have any fan presence whatsoever? The "Hockey in Omaha" thread has me and one other poster, I think. I'm not expecting a huge Cornell crowd, but it'd be nice to be joining others, just a little, in some cheers.

No, no real Cornell crowd to speak of in an otherwise well attended game. I will be right behind the Cornell bench tonight so perhaps a few folks will be found in that section.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 04:37PM

Dafatone

Yeah. There's a part of me that's disappointed in myself for not making the trip. I also missed out on the Denver jaunts the last 2 seasons. There's an itch to try to visit as many D-1 arenas as I can, and having my team go west should be incentive. I guess the fact that there really isn't a whole lot of traveling Faithful to twist the peer-pressure arm these days plays a factor.

Date: October 26, 2013 10:41PM

Little bit of scoreboard reffing at the end, there, but I'll take it.

BTW, break up the ECAC. Yikes!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 10:46PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 26, 2013 10:44PM

Great start. Let's Go Red!

Date: October 26, 2013 10:55PM

Scersk '97
Little bit of scoreboard reffing at the end, there, but I'll take it.

BTW, break up the ECAC. Yikes!

The times, they are a-changin'.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 11:10PM

cornell was unbelievably lucky to win this game, uh oh
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 11:11PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: October 27, 2013 01:45AM

Tom Pasniewski 98
Dafatone

No, no real Cornell crowd to speak of in an otherwise well attended game. I will be right behind the Cornell bench tonight so perhaps a few folks will be found in that section.

For no discernible reason, I got seats behind and to the side of the Omaha bench. So maybe I missed some fan action, but everything was very quiet on my end. I shouted "red" during the anthem and felt pretty sheepish.

The UNO fans were pleasant enough, but not exactly loud. Once the game ended, there was a bunch of "Cornell sucks!" and I think a "Harvard rejects" chant. Which I don't get. I'm all for being mean during hockey games, but why be pleasant all night and then get pissed once the game ends? Granted, we appear to be a pretty chippy bunch (and the refs sure liked using their whistles) so I suppose I might've been unhappy if I were an UNO fan.

As for the game, it wasn't as lopsided as the shots on goal indicate, but this could have been real ugly without Iles. Our kill looked great except when they scored, and our PP looked bad except when we scored on it. So I have nothing of value to add about our special teams.

Ferlin set up the final goal with a fantastic pass. Freschi seemed out of position kind of often. Hilbrich is just massive. That's about all I have. Nice way to start the season, even if Iles and luck had a lot to do with it. LGR.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 27, 2013 03:52AM

Dafatone
Ferlin set up the final goal with a fantastic pass. Freschi seemed out of position kind of often. Hilbrich is just massive. That's about all I have. Nice way to start the season, even if Iles and luck had a lot to do with it. LGR.
Better to be lucky than good. And have a good goalie in net.

Wish I could've been there. Especially since the plans that made me scuttle my preliminary thoughts to make the trip ended up getting cancelled.

Date: October 27, 2013 09:49AM

Dafatone
Freschi seemed out of position kind of often.
He'll shoot from anywhere. Usually that's a bug, but it's not like it's exascerbating a team-wide problem.

The good news is Lowry and his post-game dancing partner only got GMs, not DQs, so he will be available Friday.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2013 09:53AM by Trotsky.

Date: October 27, 2013 09:54AM

Dafatone
For no discernible reason, I got seats behind and to the side of the Omaha bench. So maybe I missed some fan action, but everything was very quiet on my end. I shouted "red" during the anthem and felt pretty sheepish.
Out of curiosity, did you see the sights of lovely Omaha?

Date: October 27, 2013 10:05AM

Game Reports:

Omaha World-Herald

Ithaca Journal

CornellBigRed

Yucky Box Score:-D

USCHO

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2013 10:31AM

Dafatone
Our kill looked great except when they scored, and our PP looked bad except when we scored on it.

**]crazydoh

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2013 10:55AM

Cop at Lynah
Shots on goal were not indicative of the territorial advantage Cornell enjoyed.
Thanks Maple Leafs coaching staff...

Posted by: MattS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2013 10:58AM

I'm just happy that Ferlin scored before January. Maybe this is a sign of good things to come. :-)

Date: October 28, 2013 12:55PM

MattS
I'm just happy that Ferlin scored before January. Maybe this is a sign of good things to come. :-)

Say nothing of all those assists.:-)

Date: October 28, 2013 02:49PM

css228
Cop at Lynah

Scoff if you want, but most of the UNO shots were from far out—the kind of stuff I expect Iles to nearly always handle. Reminded me of old timey games against Clarkson during the Mark Morris years. Push 'em outside and let them shoot all they want.

Even the UNO TV guys, except for "Lester" who just kept blithering on like the inveterate homer that he is, commented on the mostly useless shots from outside.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2013 05:10PM

Scersk '97
css228
Cop at Lynah

Scoff if you want, but most of the UNO shots were from far out—the kind of stuff I expect Iles to nearly always handle. Reminded me of old timey games against Clarkson during the Mark Morris years. Push 'em outside and let them shoot all they want.
Which leads me to this gem. Simply put, getting out shot by 20 shots on goal a night is NOT conducive to winning a lot in the long term.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: October 28, 2013 05:28PM

css228
Scersk '97
css228
Cop at Lynah

Which leads me to this gem. Simply put, getting out shot by 20 shots on goal a night is NOT conducive to winning a lot in the long term.

I'll point out that according to the CHN app's box score, not only was Cornell outshot 40-13 on Saturday, but CU had a 28-9 advantage in blocked shots. Going by that, in attempted shots, it was 68-22.

I'm not sure what that means, other than "it's early" and "we did what we needed to win."

Posted by: jek86 (38.119.57.---)
Date: October 28, 2013 05:31PM

It looked like Bardreau was hurting pretty bad near the end of the game. Did anyone else notice and does anybody have information on that?

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2013 07:14PM

Talked to him on campus today and he looked and acted just fine.

Posted by: jek86 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2013 09:56PM

good to hear, thanks..

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: October 29, 2013 05:52PM

Cornell gets the "Team of the Week" write-up for CHN:

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Date: October 29, 2013 11:32PM

css228
Scersk '97

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't like that we're getting outshot at all. But, given the choice between a team that puts (to reference Rich's post) 65 shots on us that are either ineffectual or blocked and a team that gets, say, about 20 of those between the dots, I'd rather play the shot dumpers.

And, small sample size: do remember that we played the whole game ahead, likely tolerating more shots, even though we know we shouldn't.

Still, like you, I'd prefer we fixed this shot problem, running back, as it does, to 2009.

Date: October 30, 2013 01:26AM

Scersk '97
do remember that we played the whole game ahead, likely tolerating more shots, even though we know we shouldn't.
It was a 52:28 puck rag, beating the prior record of 40:49 in the 1997 ECAC F.

Date: October 30, 2013 08:48AM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
do remember that we played the whole game ahead, likely tolerating more shots, even though we know we shouldn't.
It was a 52:28 puck rag, beating the prior record of 40:49 in the 1997 ECAC F.

That whole year was an extended "puck rag," not that I minded... :-D

Posted by: css228 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: October 30, 2013 05:00PM

Scersk '97
css228
Scersk '97

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't like that we're getting outshot at all. But, given the choice between a team that puts (to reference Rich's post) 65 shots on us that are either ineffectual or blocked and a team that gets, say, about 20 of those between the dots, I'd rather play the shot dumpers.

And, small sample size: do remember that we played the whole game ahead, likely tolerating more shots, even though we know we shouldn't.

Still, like you, I'd prefer we fixed this shot problem, running back, as it does, to 2009.
I mean yes one weekend this year. But as you noted, this is a trend that's gone back a couple years. It was a major problem last year. You make a very good point about score effects, but given that we scored all of our Saturday goals on the power play, I don't even want to know what our 5 v. 5 numbers were. We were probably out shot even worse at even strength than as a whole. Look we won and that's what is important, because you don't get points for dominating possession in a loss, but we got lucky. This is not even close to a sustainable way to win. We need to be better fast if we don't want to have another year like last year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login