Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Dryden - The Game 30th Anniversary

Posted by DFORD '94 
Dryden - The Game 30th Anniversary
Posted by: DFORD '94 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 21, 2013 10:42AM

This is why Ken Dryden is the best...

Stanley Cup With Ken Dryden

Sorry that I am not too great at linking website content to this forum...

Re: Dryden - The Game 30th Anniversary
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2013 12:06PM

Thanks!

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: October 21, 2013 02:09PM

DFORD '94

Sorry that I am not too great at linking website content to this forum...

The link worked just fine. Thank you so much for posting it.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2013 04:08PM

DFORD '94

Thanks. Dryden exemplifies what college sports should be about, but rarely are.

His description of the Domain Arena's ice cleaning apparatus reminded me of my introduction to NY Rangers hockey at the old (not the oldest) Madison Square Garden back in the late '50s. Several high school friends and I would regularly go to Sunday night games. We'd sit in General Admission seats in the second row of the balcony - $1.25 with our school GO cards. It seemed that the same group from Queens always got there before us and "reserved" the first row. Although Zamboni had invented his ice cleaning machine by then, union work rules that still prevailed at MSG prevented its use. Four men with broad snow shovels working in tandem cleared the ice; two guys with brooms swept the base of the boards. They were followed by two wheeled contraptions that were each pushed by two skating MSG employees that spread warm water on the ice surface. If you're keeping track, that's ten people.

He also mentioned Bob McGuinn. I was at a Cornell game in Toronto (with Jim Hyla, I think) and we had beers with McGuinn afterwards. He hilariously described how he had finished a basement with wood paneling but didn't account for expansion and contraction and how the walls came crashing down. It was really funny at the time. I also recall a radio interview after he had scored a game winning goal on a breakaway. I expected a jock's usual terse description, but he precisely described how the scouting reports identified the goalie's weakness, how he deked this way and that way, how he chose where he wanted to shoot the puck, and how he drove it home for the win.

That said, I'm now going to look for my 30-year-old copy of The Game.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: October 21, 2013 05:45PM

George64
DFORD '94

Thanks. Dryden exemplifies what college sports should be about, but rarely are.

His description of the Domain Arena's ice cleaning apparatus reminded me of my introduction to NY Rangers hockey at the old (not the oldest) Madison Square Garden back in the late '50s. Several high school friends and I would regularly go to Sunday night games. We'd sit in General Admission seats in the second row of the balcony - $1.25 with our school GO cards. It seemed that the same group from Queens always got there before us and "reserved" the first row. Although Zamboni had invented his ice cleaning machine by then, union work rules that still prevailed at MSG prevented its use. Four men with broad snow shovels working in tandem cleared the ice; two guys with brooms swept the base of the boards. They were followed by two wheeled contraptions that were each pushed by two skating MSG employees that spread warm water on the ice surface. If you're keeping track, that's ten people.

He also mentioned Bob McGuinn. I was at a Cornell game in Toronto (with Jim Hyla, I think) and we had beers with McGuinn afterwards. He hilariously described how he had finished a basement with wood paneling but didn't account for expansion and contraction and how the walls came crashing down. It was really funny at the time. I also recall a radio interview after he had scored a game winning goal on a breakaway. I expected a jock's usual terse description, but he precisely described how the scouting reports identified the goalie's weakness, how he deked this way and that way, how he chose where he wanted to shoot the puck, and how he drove it home for the win.

That said, I'm now going to look for my 30-year-old copy of The Game.

The article
Guinner, not fast, not big, bad shot, couldn't do anything but score. Later, we played together at Cornell where, as defending NCAA champions, we played the University of Toronto, defending Canadian champions. Going into overtime, 0-0, North American and Toronto bragging rights at stake, Guinner scored the winning goal. He is the funniest guy on every team he has played on.

That game was the Nichols Tournament in Buffalo. The first night they played Waterloo. Waterloo's goalie was no other than Dave Quarrie, whose Cornell claim to fame was probably that he was the losing goalie, in the only loss of the 66-7 season. After the marathon tie with BU in the holiday tournament championship, where after 80 minutes both coaches agreed to quit and not play on to a winner, Coach Harkness gave Dryden a rest against Yale. That was the teams only loss and Quarrie's second game that season. I don't remember his other game, and I'm too lazy to sort thru TBRW's stats to find it, but Dryden finished out the championship year.

McGuinn's winning OT goal was at six seconds.

Great memories.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2013 08:14PM

Dave Quarrie's win that season came on 1/19/1967 against Colgate at Lynah with Cornell winning 10-2. Dryden had shutout Colgate 8-0 on the January 11th. It was fun going through the TBRW database to find that game. Cornell dominated nearly every game the rest of the season that year. The ECAC final against BU and the NCAA semi-final game against North Dakota were one goal games, 4-3 and 1-0 respectively, but most of the other games including the NCAA final were won going away.

"The Game's" new chapter also has me looking for my copy. Time to read it again!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2013 08:15PM

Jim Hyla
That game was the Nichols Tournament in Buffalo. The first night they played Waterloo. Waterloo's goalie was no other than Dave Quarrie, whose Cornell claim to fame was probably that he was the losing goalie, in the only loss of the 66-7 season. After the marathon tie with BU in the holiday tournament championship, where after 80 minutes both coaches agreed to quit and not play on to a winner, Coach Harkness gave Dryden a rest against Yale. That was the teams only loss and Quarrie's second game that season. I don't remember his other game, and I'm too lazy to sort thru TBRW's stats to find it, but Dryden finished out the championship year.

Great memories.
Quarrie was class of '67 and was expected to be the successor to Errol McKibbon in goal for Ned. Dryden's arrival put an end to that idea, although Quarrie played in a number of games in the 65-66 season alternating with McKibbon and Al McNally, who came to Cornell from RPI with Ned. Quarrie was beaten in OT by, I think, Yale's great center Jack Morrison, who took the puck away from Harry Orr and went in on Quarrie for the game winner. Three games later Quarrie started against Colgate and was the winning goalie in a 10-2 rout.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2013 10:56PM

Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla

Great memories.
Quarrie was class of '67 and was expected to be the successor to Errol McKibbon in goal for Ned. Dryden's arrival put an end to that idea, although Quarrie played in a number of games in the 65-66 season alternating with McKibbon and Al McNally, who came to Cornell from RPI with Ned. Quarrie was beaten in OT by, I think, Yale's great center Jack Morrison, who took the puck away from Harry Orr and went in on Quarrie for the game winner. Three games later Quarrie started against Colgate and was the winning goalie in a 10-2 rout.

Here is the box from Quarrie's OT loss in 1967 against Yale.

Here is the box from Quarrie's OT loss in 1966 against Harvard.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2013 11:00PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2013 11:44PM

None of the goals against Quarrie seemed like bad goals. I was sitting right behind him, though maybe 10 rows up, in the 3rd period. There were 5 on 4 and 5 on 3 power play goals if I remember correctly, and then Morrison's game winner was a breakaway. Back then, overtime was 10 minute sudden death, which, for the younger folk, explains the 6:09 time on the overtime goal.
Also, this was the only game that year where Ned played all 3 Ferguson brothers as one line. Normally Mike Doran centered for Doug and Dave.
Martin Sear (assist one first Yale goal) has told me that Ned was very gracious after the game, going into the Yale locker room and congratulating them all on their victory.
Thanks Greg for digging up the box score - I just email the link to Martin Sear and I'm sure it'll make his day.

Date: October 22, 2013 05:35AM

jkahn
None of the goals against Quarrie seemed like bad goals. I was sitting right behind him, though maybe 10 rows up, in the 3rd period. There were 5 on 4 and 5 on 3 power play goals if I remember correctly, and then Morrison's game winner was a breakaway. Back then, overtime was 10 minute sudden death, which, for the younger folk, explains the 6:09 time on the overtime goal.
Also, this was the only game that year where Ned played all 3 Ferguson brothers as one line. Normally Mike Doran centered for Doug and Dave.
Martin Sear (assist one first Yale goal) has told me that Ned was very gracious after the game, going into the Yale locker room and congratulating them all on their victory.
Thanks Greg for digging up the box score - I just email the link to Martin Sear and I'm sure it'll make his day.
IIRC, Doran was left wing and Doug centered.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: October 22, 2013 06:55AM

Larry72
Dave Quarrie's win that season came on 1/19/1967 against Colgate at Lynah with Cornell winning 10-2. Dryden had shutout Colgate 8-0 on the January 11th. It was fun going through the TBRW database to find that game. Cornell dominated nearly every game the rest of the season that year. The ECAC final against BU and the NCAA semi-final game against North Dakota were one goal games, 4-3 and 1-0 respectively, but most of the other games including the NCAA final were won going away.

"The Game's" new chapter also has me looking for my copy. Time to read it again!

Thanks for looking that up. It's funny how memories go, I was sure that Quarrie never played again that year. However, it makes sense that Harkness would do it, he wouldn't want the team to think they were in trouble if Quarrie had to play later in the season. It's not that he was a bad goalie, here's his career stats (Thanks to TBRW):

GP 19 Record 11-5-0 GAA 2.31 Sv% .885 (Greg, the last figure is incorrect in TBRW. You have it as .336, and his winning % is also incorrect.)

Almost all of those stats were 1966 season: GP 22, 8-3-0, 1.99, .912

Date: October 22, 2013 08:23AM

Trotsky
from Quarrie's OT loss in 1966 against Harvard.
I had the misfortune of seeing that game with a 'Cliffie I was dating at the time. You might want to give Quarrie the "L" and Fitzsimmons the "W," painful as that may be.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 22, 2013 11:42AM

Jim Hyla
Greg, the last figure is incorrect in TBRW. You have it as .336, and his winning % is also incorrect.
Sorry, the career save percentages are doing some ugly things. I can't even claim overwork since I just got 16 days off courtesy of the Teahadists.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: October 22, 2013 12:26PM

Those black-rimmed Hanson Brothers glasses attracted women in 1966??? :-D

Date: October 22, 2013 12:59PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
I can't even claim overwork since I just got 16 days off courtesy of the Teahadists.
You mean the Koch brothers dupes?

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 12:25AM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
from Quarrie's OT loss in 1966 against Harvard.
I had the misfortune of seeing that game with a 'Cliffie I was dating at the time. You might want to give Quarrie the "L" and Fitzsimmons the "W," painful as that may be.

Ugh. Almost Love Storyish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login