Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 7 York 2 (exhib)

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 7 York 2 (exhib)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 17, 2013 12:31PM

Actual game notes about an actual (well, exhibition) game. We have survived another off-season.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2013 10:21PM by Trotsky.

Re: York 10/19/13
Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: October 17, 2013 12:37PM

Huzzah!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2013 12:41PM by RichH.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2013 07:06PM

first try at the digital network.. cant get a connection..

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2013 07:22PM

and it crashes at 12:24..

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2013 07:27PM

It's up now. Video is not bad; audio is very quiet.

Bardreau shorty puts us up 1-0 despite being shorthanded for about 9 of the first 15 minutes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2013 07:28PM by Trotsky.

Date: October 19, 2013 07:30PM

Tiitenen sharp shoots to the far post; 2-0.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-7.myvzw.com)
Date: October 19, 2013 07:48PM

It's coming in well on my phone. I'm at the RIP game watching the @ Lynah action. Now if RPI can just shoot us some WiFi I won't have to use my Verizon 4G.

Posted by: arugula (---.c3-0.avec-ubr2.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 19, 2013 07:50PM

anybody try the Big Red Sports Network? Free audio

Date: October 19, 2013 10:20PM

7-2 final. Shots were about 50-10.

Re: Cornell 7 York 2 (exhib)
Posted by: rdez79 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 19, 2013 10:58PM

initial thoughts on the team from people who were saw the game?
How will the lines shake out?
will the offense be there this year?
what about team D
PP/PK?
Will AI be an iron man again?

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 19, 2013 11:03PM

Shots were 53-10; and Team looked good against York. York was a step or two slower than what we will see in regular season. York's 2 goals came in third period the 1st on a power play when the fairly open shooter rang it off the far post and in. Their 2nd goal came with under a minute left, one of their better players, (# 12 defense man?) stepped up on a deflected puck near center ice and took it in and then with a good second effort beat the defender and came out from behind net and nailed it in. Our goals mostly looked like some good plays and passes. The York keeper played a decent game or score would have been higher.

Posted by: carpy85 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: October 20, 2013 01:41AM

I have no doubts Iles will continue the full year between the pipes. The only two York goals came when Gillam was at net whom I am sure is not quite ready for NCAA speed. The freshman class is looking strong, but I think there are a few guys on the entire team who need to keep from making dumb penalties. I thought that Ferlin looked like he is still struggling to find a way to put the Puck in the net for Cornell. Overall I hope this game is a preview of the Cornell hockey we knew and love.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2013 09:22AM

York = sparring partner, like a varsity team playing a warm-up against the jv...men against boys. I couldn't help but think that both teams won: they got to play up and we got to warm-up.

I know it's extremely early, so please take my few comments with that caveat. Bottom line: IMO, the mismatch produced a mildly amusing "exhibition" that provided little solid timber to construct many reliable assessments about our true strengths and weaknesses, or how we will function as a Team. We continue to look sloppy on the break-out at times (disappointing given last night's competition), and the transition game improved as York wore down. I repeatedly thought "we'll never get away with THAT against ECAC teams". Most of the game was played in York's end; on multiple occasions even strength seemed like we were on a power play. We dominated the offensive zone with good passing and board work (against a slower, smaller team), and allowed few good scoring opportunities on York's 10(!) shots. Iles played well, though not really challenged on the 8 shots he saved, while Gillam gave up goals on both of the shots he faced, for a 0.00 save percentage in his first outing....ouch!

In a situation where he could have been dominant, my high-hopes for Ferlin received another gentle pause, but it's REALLY too early. He missed on several very good scoring opportunities and came away with a goose egg in points bugeye . The guys we expect to play well generally did. Hilbrich impressed me on several occasions with his strength and hockey sense, but most importantly, Bardreau is breathing life into the team once again. J. McCarron played very well (as did frosh P McCarron, # 27), and "restrained" himself to only one penalty. The freshmen hustled! Freschi (#11) displayed some hockey smarts and nifty skills (a-la Vesce). He and Knisley could make potent, complimentary linemates.

Don't go getting your hopes up just yet.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2013 10:53AM

Thanks for the update. This is useful stuff. You've got our hopes up enough to think Lake Placid and the NCAAs are *possible.*

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: October 20, 2013 11:46AM

I'm with townie on most of his assessment. These exhibitions rarely hold any resemblance to an NCAA game.

Ferlin? Simply a puck hog!! Yes, I'm happy that he has the skills to skate around like the puck is glued to his stick. It looks great, but it's counter-productive if he's not putting it in the net. After three full seasons, he's not exactly tearing the NCAA aparting in the scoring dept.

I'm still seeing too much "yapping" and too little discipline from The Red. I still long for the Mike Schafer teams that would drop their arms by their sides and skate away from scrums. The last few years, the guys show too strong of a propensity for wanting to mix it up. It benefits nobody! I know that this must be absolutely killing Mike!! And, I don't know why he doesn't bench players more ofter for doing it. I know the seasons are short and each game is important. But, I don't think the program can take that "next step" until he solves this one. He needs to get after!!

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2013 12:10PM

redice
I'm with townie on most of his assessment. These exhibitions rarely hold any resemblance to an NCAA game.

Ferlin? Simply a puck hog!! Yes, I'm happy that he has the skills to skate around like the puck is glued to his stick. It looks great, but it's counter-productive if he's not putting it in the net. After three full seasons, he's not exactly tearing the NCAA aparting in the scoring dept.

I'm still seeing too much "yapping" and too little discipline from The Red. I still long for the Mike Schafer teams that would drop their arms by their sides and skate away from scrums. The last few years, the guys show too strong of a propensity for wanting to mix it up. It benefits nobody! I know that this must be absolutely killing Mike!! And, I don't know why he doesn't bench players more ofter for doing it. I know the seasons are short and each game is important. But, I don't think the program can take that "next step" until he solves this one. He needs to get after!!

Spot on redice. There was even some minor fisticuffs late in the first period, only serious enough to draw offsetting roughing calls, but hands did fly. I miss the discipline of the Bâby/Murray days...

Although we went 29-27 on faceoffs, I was underwhelmed. Box score.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2013 12:42PM

A few notes on freshmen:

I was impressed with Freschi, who appears to be a sort of Scali/Mugford/Iggulden-type defensive forward who's very strong on the forecheck, very tenacious, fast, and particularly good on the PK.

Buckles was somewhat underwhelming, given the hype surrounding him, but it's only one exhibition game. Lewis and McCarron were both very solid on the blueline, and McCarron in particulary seemed poised while quarterbacking the powerplay. Lewis gave the impression of a confident, stay-at-home defenseman, who rarely made any mistakes or lapses in judgement.

On a separate note: anyone know what's up With Joakim Ryan? Was he just sitting to give the freshmen D some playing time, or is he dealing with an injury?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2013 12:43PM by sah67.

Date: October 20, 2013 01:40PM

sah67
On a separate note: anyone know what's up With Joakim Ryan? Was he just sitting to give the freshmen D some playing time, or is he dealing with an injury?
Jason mentioned an injury but did not elaborate.

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: October 20, 2013 06:15PM

sah67
Buckles was somewhat underwhelming, given the hype surrounding him, but it's only one exhibition game.

During one of the intermission interviews, Christian Hilbrich spoke very highly of Buckles, saying that he has the fastest hands on the team. That's pretty heavy praise. Let's give him some time.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2013 08:07PM

sah67
A few notes on freshmen:

I was impressed with Freschi, who appears to be a sort of Scali/Mugford/Iggulden-type defensive forward who's very strong on the forecheck, very tenacious, fast, and particularly good on the PK.

Buckles was somewhat underwhelming, given the hype surrounding him, but it's only one exhibition game. Lewis and McCarron were both very solid on the blueline, and McCarron in particulary seemed poised while quarterbacking the powerplay. Lewis gave the impression of a confident, stay-at-home defenseman, who rarely made any mistakes or lapses in judgement.

Lewis stood out to me. Seemed solid in the defensive end and did a nice job on the point when joining the attack.

Posted by: MattS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2013 10:57AM

The thing I took away from the game as most important was the continuation of stupid penalties. The de Swardt elbowing one standing out most in my mind. That was just stupid. I hope this doesn't indicate what is going to happen the rest of the season.

I did like what I saw from Freschi and Lewis. They both had a good game and style of play that I think fits well. I really liked how Bardreau looked too. He seemed to be buzzing all over the ice.

I feel bad for Gillam. It looked from my angle, which was not the best, that he did not see the puck on the first goal until it was too late. And the second one, again from my poor angle, was kind of a tough angle/seeing-eye goal. It is too bad he couldn't have gotten a couple of easy shots from the outside to start with.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 21, 2013 11:16AM

MattS
I feel bad for Gillam. It looked from my angle, which was not the best, that he did not see the puck on the first goal until it was too late. And the second one, again from my poor angle, was kind of a tough angle/seeing-eye goal. It is too bad he couldn't have gotten a couple of easy shots from the outside to start with.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. His first shot came on a power play on a defensive breakdown after he came in cold. The second was after he spent 19 minutes without having faced another shot and hardly any action in his end of the ice. Hard to stay on top of your game in that situation.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 21, 2013 11:29AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
MattS

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. His first shot came on a power play on a defensive breakdown after he came in cold. The second was after he spent 19 minutes without having faced another shot and hardly any action in his end of the ice. Hard to stay on top of your game in that situation.
I'm sure he's a fine goalie, or he would not have been recruited to be backup and heir apparent at Goaltender U. If we remember it at all, we will look back at this as a comic oddity. And for that matter it was exhibition so it won't even show up in the stats.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: October 21, 2013 01:01PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
MattS

I'm sure he's a fine goalie, or he would not have been recruited to be backup and heir apparent at Goaltender U. If we remember it at all, we will look back at this as a comic oddity. And for that matter it was exhibition so it won't even show up in the stats.

Just remember Scrivens, and what some said back then.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: October 21, 2013 05:03PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
MattS

I always thought Scrivens was a good college goaltender, but never thought he was NHL caliber. I'm glad he's proved me wrong.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.d.usd.edu)
Date: October 21, 2013 05:34PM

scoop85
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
MattS

I always thought Scrivens was a good college goaltender, but never thought he was NHL caliber. I'm glad he's proved me wrong.

A friend of mine still laughs at me for liking Davenport over Scrivens his freshman year.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2013 03:22PM

Jim Hyla
"Scrivens is not the answer"?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login