Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2015-18 Frozen Four Bids

Posted by RichH 
2015-18 Frozen Four Bids
Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: October 15, 2013 01:46PM

Here's a list of bids I've heard of:

Frozen Four
City (Hosts):

Finalists
Boston (My drunk friend Sully)
Brooklyn - Barclays Center (ECAC)
Buffalo (MAAC, Canisius, Niagara, Buffalo Sabres, Visit Buffalo-Niagara)
Chicago - United Center (Notre Dame)
Columbus - Nationwide Arena (?)
Philadelphia (?)
Pittsburgh (?)
St. Paul (?)
Tampa(Wisconsin)
Washington DC (?)

Failed Bids
Kansas City (UNO)
Cleveland (?)
Orlando (Quinnipiac & MAAC)
Milwaukee (Wisconsin)
Detroit (?)

Nashville decided not to submit a bid.
Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 02:23PM by RichH.

Re: 2015-18 Frozen Four Bids
Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: October 15, 2013 02:00PM

Boston, not having hosted since 2004, can pretty much sneeze on a napkin and get a bid this time around.

I like Buffalo's odds, given the number of hosting entities behind the bid and more development in downtown. Also, knowing that Sabres owner Terry Pegula has been a HUGE benefactor of college hockey the past two years, single-handedly building new arenas for Canisius and Penn State, and pretty much pushing down the first domino that created the new-world-order for the college game, I would bet Buffalo has a good shot.

So my guess, given this list is two east, two west. Milwaukee, Boston, Kansas City, and Buffalo.

Interesting to note this in the QU article:

Though the event is 1,000 miles from campus, McDonald says Quinnipiac couldn’t host the Frozen Four near Connecticut. No venue in the state is large enough to host the tournament, and hosting in New York would be too expensive.

“We would love to host at Madison Square Garden but hotel prices are too high in New York City,” said McDonald. “Four or five nights in New York City would be very expensive and most fans wouldn’t be able to afford it.”

Frozen Four fans come from all around the country, meaning they need airfare no matter where the event is. Orlando hotels would be cheaper than New York hotels because of Orlando’s tourist attractions. The popular vacation spot has many types of hotels, from Crowne Plaza to Motel 6.

If they get The Mouse into this (retch! yark ), that changes things. Also, flipd to that airfare quote. When it's in Boston, St. Paul or Milwaukee, over half the attendees don't fly, and I'm not flying to Philly.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: October 15, 2013 02:18PM

RichH
Boston, not having hosted since 2004, can pretty much sneeze on a napkin and get a bid this time around.

I like Buffalo's odds, given the number of hosting entities behind the bid and more development in downtown. Also, knowing that Sabres owner Terry Pegula has been a HUGE benefactor of college hockey the past two years, single-handedly building new arenas for Canisius and Penn State, and pretty much pushing down the first domino that created the new-world-order for the college game, I would bet Buffalo has a good shot.

So my guess, given this list is two east, two west. Milwaukee, Boston, Kansas City, and Buffalo.

Though the event is 1,000 miles from campus, McDonald says Quinnipiac couldn’t host the Frozen Four near Connecticut. No venue in the state is large enough to host the tournament, and hosting in New York would be too expensive.

“We would love to host at Madison Square Garden but hotel prices are too high in New York City,” said McDonald. “Four or five nights in New York City would be very expensive and most fans wouldn’t be able to afford it.”

Frozen Four fans come from all around the country, meaning they need airfare no matter where the event is. Orlando hotels would be cheaper than New York hotels because of Orlando’s tourist attractions. The popular vacation spot has many types of hotels, from Crowne Plaza to Motel 6.

If they get The Mouse into this (retch! yark ), that changes things. Also, flipd to that airfare quote. When it's in Boston, St. Paul or Milwaukee, over half the attendees don't fly, and I'm not flying to Philly.

Orlando would mean that I wouldn't have to fly, and may not even have to drive if this mythical Miami-Orlando rail service ever happens (supposed to be operational in 2015 and no sign of a downtown Miami train station being built) ;-). The Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL play in the Amway center (17,000+ for hockey), so if that bid goes through (and the Solar Bears are still in existence) we should avoid a Cinncinnati-like FF experience. Even though it would save me a flight, I'm not in favor of a Disney themed FF.

KC.... barbeque. mmmmm.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 16, 2013 08:00AM

I don't understand why Chicago is never on these lists. That would be a great place for a FF.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 16, 2013 11:58AM

Rita
RichH

Orlando would mean that I wouldn't have to fly, and may not even have to drive if this mythical Miami-Orlando rail service ever happens (supposed to be operational in 2015 and no sign of a downtown Miami train station being built) ;-). The Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL play in the Amway center (17,000+ for hockey), so if that bid goes through (and the Solar Bears are still in existence) we should avoid a Cinncinnati-like FF experience. Even though it would save me a flight, I'm not in favor of a Disney themed FF.

So Downtown Orlando is really a world away from Disney. Aside from seeing tourists at the airport, you wouldn't have to ever really interact with the theme parks (unless people wanted to gang up a FF with a theme park vacation). There are pretty inexpensive, often direct flights from everywhere. There are plenty of nearby hotels, lots of great restaurants, and a decently walkable downtown. It wouldn't be a bad place to hold the Frozen Four. I'm happy to host the Cornell fan BBQ at my place if it happens.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 16, 2013 12:22PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I don't understand why Chicago is never on these lists. That would be a great place for a FF.

Don't mention this to Wisconsin or they'll sign up to host there, too. If Wisconsin can host in Tampa.....

Date: October 17, 2013 07:28AM

marty
Jeff Hopkins '82

Don't mention this to Wisconsin or they'll sign up to host there, too. If Wisconsin can host in Tampa.....

I'm OK with that. Doesn't mean they'll be playing.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 17, 2013 11:26AM

FF hosts mean nothing. Regional hosts, OTOH, are the devil.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: October 17, 2013 11:35AM

Rita
KC.... barbeque. mmmmm.

Just like the three-year tour of American Macro-Breweries in Milwaukee-St. Louis-Denver we had in 2006-08, it would have been better to have had the Rib tour of Memphis, St. Louis, and Kansas City.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 22, 2013 05:05PM

RichH

As always, would that you controlled the world, compadre.

RichH
When it's in Boston, St. Paul or Milwaukee, over half the attendees don't fly, and I'm not flying to Philly.

Indeed. I won't even have to take Amtrak. "Welcome tey-oo da Trenton Trann-sit Center. Please hay-old awn to the railing when using da eskeelator."
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2013 05:07PM by Scersk '97.

Date: October 30, 2013 04:14PM

All of them current (or future in Brooklyn's case) NHL venues. Only Brooklyn and Chicago have never hosted before. The Columbus bid is reportedly for the Blue Jackets' arena instead of OSU's Schott.

I'll update the original post.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 04:20PM by RichH.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: October 30, 2013 04:39PM

Here's CHN's and USCHO's reports, but they don't say much more.

Posted by: Weder (---.austin.hp.com)
Date: October 30, 2013 04:56PM

Well, this is what you can look forward to if Brooklyn gets to host:

Other pictures.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2013 05:07PM

RichH

All of them current (or future in Brooklyn's case) NHL venues. Only Brooklyn and Chicago have never hosted before. The Columbus bid is reportedly for the Blue Jackets' arena instead of OSU's Schott.

I'll update the original post.
PLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYNPLEASEBEBROOKLYN

Date: October 31, 2013 07:43AM

Good. No Detroit.

Posted by: JayFisher90 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 03:26PM

According to today's Chicago Tribune, the United Center is a Frozen Four finalist in 2015, 17 and 18 (don't know what happened to 2016). The Host is Notre Dame. Interestingly, Chicago has also applied to host the Men's Lacrosse Final Four at Soldier Field and the Women's Lacrosse Final Four at Toyata Park.

As a Chicago suburbanite who hasn't been to a Frozen Four since it was in Milwaukee I'm rooting for Chicago.

Date: October 31, 2013 03:58PM

JayFisher90
According to today's Chicago Tribune, the United Center is a Frozen Four finalist in 2015, 17 and 18 (don't know what happened to 2016). The Host is Notre Dame. Interestingly, Chicago has also applied to host the Men's Lacrosse Final Four at Soldier Field and the Women's Lacrosse Final Four at Toyata Park.

As a Chicago suburbanite who hasn't been to a Frozen Four since it was in Milwaukee I'm rooting for Chicago.

Maybe Chicago/United Center is hosting a NC$$ basketball regional in 2016. If so, it would be hard for them to lose 2 weeks to college sporting events and juggle the schedules of the Bulls and Blackhawks.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2013 06:02PM

Rita
JayFisher90

Maybe Chicago/United Center is hosting a NC$$ basketball regional in 2016. If so, it would be hard for them to lose 2 weeks to college sporting events and juggle the schedules of the Bulls and Blackhawks.
I Googled "Chicago 2016" and was reminded that Chicago bid to host the 2016 summer Olympics, which were awarded to Rio in October 2009. Maybe initial materials for the 2015-18 Frozen Four bids had to be submitted before then, and they left 2016 off the Frozen Four bid in case they were awarded the Olympics? Just speculating here.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.lightspeed.brfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 01, 2013 06:18PM

RichH

Frozen Four
City (Hosts):

Kansas City (UNO)
Cleveland (?)
Tampa (Wisconsin)
Milwaukee (Wisconsin)
St. Paul (?)
Detroit (?)
Brooklyn - Barclays Center (?)
Philadelphia (?)
Pittsburgh (?)
DC (?)

According to USCHO the Brooklyn bid is sponsored by the ECAC. Wonder why not MSG with Cornell and now Harvard and Yale having experience dealing with their management.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: November 01, 2013 06:31PM

nyc94
RichH

Frozen Four
City (Hosts):

Kansas City (UNO)
Cleveland (?)
Tampa (Wisconsin)
Milwaukee (Wisconsin)
St. Paul (?)
Detroit (?)
Philadelphia (?)
Pittsburgh (?)
DC (?)

According to USCHO the Brooklyn bid is sponsored by the ECAC. Wonder why not MSG with Cornell and now Harvard and Yale having experience dealing with their management.

Do they still have the circus at MSG that time of year?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 01, 2013 07:24PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
nyc94
RichH

Frozen Four
City (Hosts):

Kansas City (UNO)
Cleveland (?)
Tampa (Wisconsin)
Milwaukee (Wisconsin)
St. Paul (?)
Detroit (?)
Philadelphia (?)
Pittsburgh (?)
DC (?)

Isn't MSG a circus all year round?

Date: November 01, 2013 08:03PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

They were not at MSG this year because of the renovations. The circus was at the Barclays Center March 20 - April 1.
The 2014 schedule on the Ringling Bros. website also does not have an MSG appearance. Barclays (Feb. 20 - Mar. 1), Uniondale, Newark, and E. Rutherford are on the schedule.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2013 01:09PM

nyc94
RichH

Frozen Four
City (Hosts):

Kansas City (UNO)
Cleveland (?)
Tampa (Wisconsin)
Milwaukee (Wisconsin)
St. Paul (?)
Detroit (?)
Philadelphia (?)
Pittsburgh (?)
DC (?)

We've covered this before - between the Rangers, the Knicks, college basketball, the circus, and concerts, MSG has a packed spring calendar. As far as I'm aware there's never been any indication that MSG has any interest in hosting; Adam, am I mistaken?

Date: November 04, 2013 10:07AM

Josh '99
We've covered this before - between the Rangers, the Knicks, college basketball, the circus, and concerts, MSG has a packed spring calendar. As far as I'm aware there's never been any indication that MSG has any interest in hosting; Adam, am I mistaken?

My recollection was that MSG actually floated the idea of a Frozen Four bid around five years ago. And with the Frozen Four now played on the second weekend of April it would come after the NIT and the circus have left town. That leaves the Knicks and Rangers plus concerts. Any bid submitted now would surely have a jump on the 2015-2018 concert schedule.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2013 12:20PM

nyc94
Josh '99

My recollection was that MSG actually floated the idea of a Frozen Four bid around five years ago. And with the Frozen Four now played on the second weekend of April it would come after the NIT and the circus have left town. That leaves the Knicks and Rangers plus concerts. Any bid submitted now would surely have a jump on the 2015-2018 concert schedule.

Would that your recall is right. Brooklyn is the classy new arena and Brooklyn is the hot new borough, but MSG is still the place for NYC sports and it got more renovations over the summer. We live close to the Prudential Center in Newark but the excitement factor isn't the same. The MSG issue is that you can't have the Knicks / Rangers on the road for too many consecutive weekends. If the NCAA games remain semi Thursday and a single game Saturday night, you could play pro basketball or hockey Friday night, hockey Saturday 1 pm, hockey or basketball or both Sunday.

Too bad about Nashville dropping out. It has a bar scene near the arena like to equal Austin. The rules for a good host site (If it's not the nearest big city to where you live) are driveable or cheap airfare, lots of hotels, you won't get bored spending 3 days there, arena is close to where you're hanging out before/after the game. Most of the cities on the list seem okay. Columbus might be an outlier.

Date: November 04, 2013 12:35PM

billhoward
nyc94
Josh '99

Would that your recall is right. Brooklyn is the classy new arena and Brooklyn is the hot new borough, but MSG is still the place for NYC sports and it got more renovations over the summer. We live close to the Prudential Center in Newark but the excitement factor isn't the same. The MSG issue is that you can't have the Knicks / Rangers on the road for too many consecutive weekends. If the NCAA games remain semi Thursday and a single game Saturday night, you could play pro basketball or hockey Friday night, hockey Saturday 1 pm, hockey or basketball or both Sunday.

Too bad about Nashville dropping out. It has a bar scene near the arena like to equal Austin. The rules for a good host site (If it's not the nearest big city to where you live) are driveable or cheap airfare, lots of hotels, you won't get bored spending 3 days there, arena is close to where you're hanging out before/after the game. Most of the cities on the list seem okay. Columbus might be an outlier.

When the NC$$ moves in for a tourney (FF or regional), there is some prep work to get the arena ready and those changes don't allow for "flip/flop" between the NC$$ event and the local home teams. For example, all the ads along the boards and on the ice that you would see at MSG (or any other arena) need to be removed and replace with NC$$ logos, the team names and any other NC$$ approved images. Also at the FF there are the open team practices on Wednesday and Friday, a fan skate and award presentations on Friday. Thus any arena hosting a FF is going to have to block out 6-7 days and devote that solely to the NC$$. Very hard for a multi-team venue to do.

Date: November 04, 2013 12:36PM

billhoward
nyc94
Josh '99

I guess it was much longer ago than I remember: 2003 [www.uscho.com]

Date: December 09, 2013 06:01PM

The Frozen Four bids are released Wednesday.

Date: December 09, 2013 08:53PM

Writer Dan Connelly says locks to get the 2015-2018 bids Wednesday are Boston and Washington; strong consideration cities are St. Paul, Tampa, and Chicago; long shots are Brooklyn, Buffalo, Columbus, and Pittsburgh. He dislikes cities that are expensive (Boston, DC, NYC, Chicago). He dislikes that there's not as much to do in the cities that are cost-effective. He thinks Brooklyn is too small (15,813 for hockey) but doens't know if that includes luxury boxes. One useful insight is that the only way Boston gets one slot is if the NCAA ignores its preference (mandate) for a large fanfest area near the arena.

Date: December 10, 2013 08:37AM

And while getting to NYC is easy, getting around is not. The public transit city, while broad stretching, is confusing.
BS. The subway system here may have more stations, sure, but it's conceptually no different from those in Boston and DC that the author touts as assets to those cities' bids, not to mention (unlike other cities') it doesn't stop running before the bars close. There are plenty of issues with the Brooklyn bid, sure, but this isn't one of them.

Date: December 10, 2013 09:25AM

Josh '99

And while getting to NYC is easy, getting around is not. The public transit city, while broad stretching, is confusing.
BS. The subway system here may have more stations, sure, but it's conceptually no different from those in Boston and DC that the author touts as assets to those cities' bids, not to mention (unlike other cities') it doesn't stop running before the bars close. There are plenty of issues with the Brooklyn bid, sure, but this isn't one of them.
Right. There's the panic in Boston when you have to hustle to make that last subway out around 1 am or decide to pool money and take a cab. NYC subways are dirtier but far safer than 15 years ago, they run 7x24, and there enough phone apps that you can figure out how to go A to B before you seek out the subway entrance.

The author also gets it wrong on accommodation costs. In Boston or NYC, you'll find someone you can stay with, free, or worst case, your friend's parents in the suburbs. That beats an $89 Roadway Inn in Columbus.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 10:51AM

billhoward

Right. There's the panic in Boston when you have to hustle to make that last subway out around 1 am or decide to pool money and take a cab.
[www.patriotledger.com]

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 11:07AM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward

Right. There's the panic in Boston when you have to hustle to make that last subway out around 1 am or decide to pool money and take a cab.
[www.patriotledger.com]

Shocking. Maybe now people will be out past 9pm in areas other than the collegetowns and downtown.

Lived there for three months. Nothing like being in a large city and having your neighborhood be empty around 9:30.

Date: December 10, 2013 11:57AM

Josh '99

I should add that Barclays Center is a transit wonderland compared to Yankee Stadium or Citi Field, which were deemed accessible enough for the MLB All-Star Game, to say nothing of the impending transportation clusterfuck that will be the upcoming Super Bowl.

Date: December 11, 2013 01:19PM

Boston, Tampa, Chicago, St. Paul get upcoming men’s Frozen Fours

Date: December 11, 2013 01:40PM

So much for DC being a slam dunk. The 3 non-FL sites seem reasonable. TB is dependent on whether you believe in "growing the sport," as opposed to being rational and non-evil.

Date: December 11, 2013 01:48PM

Trotsky
So much for DC being a slam dunk. The 3 non-FL sites seem reasonable. TB is dependent on whether you believe in "growing the sport," as opposed to being rational and non-evil.
TB was fun for those of us who went, which certainly seems like a rational, non-evil factor to consider.

Date: December 11, 2013 02:09PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
TB was fun for those of us who went, which certainly seems like a rational, non-evil factor to consider.
You weren't really having fun. Irrational people make poor judgments... :-}

Date: December 11, 2013 02:28PM

Josh '99
Trotsky

A Haiku:

I hate Florida.
We will have fun wherever.
I loathe Florida.

Date: December 11, 2013 02:47PM

RichH
Josh '99
Trotsky

A Haiku:

I hate Florida.
I loathe Florida.
True, we will have fun wherever. Perhaps I should've phrased it as "Tampa was generally well-reviewed by attendees, who had comparatively less favorable things to say about other recent hosts such as Detroit (in no small part due to the football stadium), St. Louis, Buffalo GAAAAAAAAH I NEVER WANT TO GO THERE AGAIN, Anaheim and Cincinnati." (Yes, I know those last two aren't really all that recent anymore.) A venue isn't bad just because it's non-traditional, and it's not good just because it's traditional. (Boston reportedly halfassed their hosting effort in 2004 and their bids in the years since, and the committee was right not to reward them for it.) We're not talking about uprooting a team in a traditional city to "grow the sport" down south, we're talking about "forcing" a few thousand people to spend a pleasant weekend in abnormally warm weather in April. I don't have a problem with it. We didn't even go to Cigar City Brewery last time!

Date: December 11, 2013 03:04PM

Josh '99
RichH
Josh '99
Trotsky

A Haiku:

I hate Florida.
I loathe Florida.
True, we will have fun wherever. Perhaps I should've phrased it as "Tampa was generally well-reviewed by attendees, who had comparatively less favorable things to say about other recent hosts such as Detroit (in no small part due to the football stadium), St. Louis, Buffalo GAAAAAAAAH I NEVER WANT TO GO THERE AGAIN, Anaheim and Cincinnati." (Yes, I know those last two aren't really all that recent anymore.) A venue isn't bad just because it's non-traditional, and it's not good just because it's traditional. (Boston reportedly halfassed their hosting effort in 2004 and their bids in the years since, and the committee was right not to reward them for it.) We're not talking about uprooting a team in a traditional city to "grow the sport" down south, we're talking about "forcing" a few thousand people to spend a pleasant weekend in abnormally warm weather in April. I don't have a problem with it. We didn't even go to Cigar City Brewery last time!

Sure, sure. I'm not genuinely upset over that choice, just that of the four, I'm most disappointed in that selection. Also, I hate Florida.

I think the committee was careful to choose 2 East and 2 West, but it's curious that with this order, it makes five consecutive FFs (and 7 of 8) in the Eastern Time Zone.

I'm very excited about the Chicago selection.

C'mon, give Buffalo a break. If not for the heartbreak, I'm sure they did a fine job in 2003.

I would like for it to be in DC again, because they seemed to do a good job, and also I spent most of that weekend in bed with food poisoning.

My dream NEXT four: Nashville, San Jose, then pick 2 of DC/Milwaukee/Buffalo/Denver.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 03:10PM by RichH.

Date: December 11, 2013 03:43PM

RichH
My dream NEXT four: ... San Jose
You hate Florida but you like California?

(Actually this is technically reasonable, since while everything about Florida is awful it is only Californians that are loathsome.)

My dream next four: Lynah, Gutterson, Matthews and rebuild the Broadmoor.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 03:48PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 11, 2013 03:54PM

For the Tampa FF, the place is big enough with a big airport that you can find it's a reasonably affordable trip. If your team gets in, you have 2 weeks not 1 to arrange.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 04:04PM

RichH
Also, I hate Florida.
The east coast of Florida from Miami to Palm Springs is vulgar, overbuilt, and congested: basically, central Long Island, but with more skin showing. Tampa is like a different world from that place. I don't know how you can throw them both into the same category, unless you really just dislike nice weather.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.d.usd.edu)
Date: December 11, 2013 04:17PM

Kyle Rose
RichH
Also, I hate Florida.
The east coast of Florida from Miami to Palm Springs is vulgar, overbuilt, and congested: basically, central Long Island, but with more skin showing. Tampa is like a different world from that place. I don't know how you can throw them both into the same category, unless you really just dislike nice weather.

As someone who hates Florida, I probably haven't given enough thought to how the Gulf Coast differs. I've been to Fort Myers and Sanibel, which was nice enough for a vacation spot I can't possibly afford as an adult, ever.

Date: December 11, 2013 04:18PM

Kyle Rose
RichH
Also, I hate Florida.
The east coast of Florida from Miami to Palm Springs is vulgar, overbuilt, and congested: basically, central Long Island, but with more skin showing

To be fair, the worst FL coastal area is on the Gulf (the Redneck Riviera) but that's also a completely different world from TB.

The only real objections to Tampa specifically are (1) it's monotonous and (2) it's skanky. But (1) doesn't matter since the hockey should give the visitors all they want to do, and (2) doesn't matter because the closest the well-scrubbed white folk of the Faithful are getting to the Tampa street is the buffet line at Perkins.

All of Tampa's relevant awfulness derives from its inherited Floridacity.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 04:18PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 11, 2013 04:29PM

Josh '99
Trotsky

I had a good time at the Tampa FF and we will get to visit [www.jamesjoyceybor.com] again (they actually played Irish music!). Tampa is definitely easier on my vacation budget (no airfare :) ), so I'm not too disappointed with the selection, though I thought it would have been in '17 or '18. No complaints about St. Paul being selected especially if the light rail between St. Paul and Minneapolis is operational.

Date: December 11, 2013 05:27PM

To bring us back to what is really happening, as opposed to what some people wanted (or want to complain about), this CHN page list the dates and the sites.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 05:32PM

Jim Hyla
To bring us back to what is really happening, as opposed to what some people wanted (or want to complain about), this CHN page list the dates and the sites.

Frozen Four
April 7 and 9, 2016
Tampa Bay Times Forum
Tampa, Fla.
Hosts: Wisconsin, Tampa Bay Sports Commission

Naturally.

Date: December 11, 2013 06:57PM

Jordan 04

Frozen Four
April 7 and 9, 2016
Tampa Bay Times Forum
Tampa, Fla.

Naturally.

Basically the Tampa Bay Sports Commission enjoyed their FF experience/profits/economy boost and wanted to put in another bid, so they came hat-in-hand to Wisconsin (see connection below), who also had hosting-rights to the Milwaukee bid. From [host.madison.com]

According to Justin Doherty, the UW senior associate athletic director for external relations, officials at the Tampa Bay Sports Commission asked if the school would be interested in being the host institution for their bid.

The line of communication was apparently opened in 2012 when Tampa was the site of the NCAA Frozen Four and former UW deputy athletic director Sean Frazier was chair of the NCAA Ice Hockey Committee. Frazier is now the athletic director at Northern Illinois.

After hearing its proposal, UW officials agreed to help Tampa take another crack at hosting the event in 2016, ’17 or ’18.

Date: December 11, 2013 07:23PM

Jordan 04
Jim Hyla

Frozen Four
April 7 and 9, 2016
Tampa Bay Times Forum
Tampa, Fla.

Naturally.
You don't! You throw it to Who.

Date: December 11, 2013 11:27PM

Jordan 04
Jim Hyla

Frozen Four
April 7 and 9, 2016
Tampa Bay Times Forum
Tampa, Fla.
Naturally.
Naturally, indeed. The near-Midwest (Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana) winters and then retires on the West Coast of Florida, leaving the East Coast of Florida for people who just follow I-95 down the coast. Wisconsin would feel right at home hosting an event there at Tampa on the West side. The Florida Panhandle or Redneck Riviera is a third cultural region blessed with nicer, whiter beaches than beer can-tossers deserve.

If you've been to Fort Myers and the hockey tournament, that's the West Coast a couple hours south of Tampa. DisneyWorld is an hour northeast.

It's easy to knock Florida outside of Miami when you're under 30. At some point, you may be old enough to hate the twin threats of snow and inheritance taxes so much you'd consider Florida. What we really hate is seeing grandparents or friends' grandparents who didn't say enough to retire to anything nicer than a 2BR house or apt nowhere near the ocean and we realize that could be us someday.

Maybe Rita should chime in about Florida. She seems to be doing okay there.

Posted by: BMac (---.smartleaf.com)
Date: December 12, 2013 10:12AM

Try going to London. Soho is e-m-p-t-y after 9:30.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2013 12:12PM

Albany as a regional site in 2016 is hosted by the ECAC. In the past RPI has hosted in Albany. Could money be an issue?

Red Cloud

Date: December 12, 2013 12:34PM

BMac
Perhaps that will change, since they plan to start running trains overnight on weekends. But part of it is just due to the fact that a lot of places close at 11.

(Also, isn't Soho kind of where old people go to the theater?)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2013 01:14PM

Josh '99
BMac
Perhaps that will change, since they plan to start running trains overnight on weekends. But part of it is just due to the fact that a lot of places close at 11.

You mean young people can never go to the theater, or that they have their own theatre district?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (88.128.80.---)
Date: December 13, 2013 08:28AM

Josh '99
BMac

Soho is where old pervs go to the "theater." Old folks go to the theater in the East End, which is just south of Soho.

Date: December 13, 2013 12:28PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Josh '99
BMac

Soho is where old pervs go to the "theater." Old folks go to the theater in the East End, which is just south of Soho.
Ah right. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Regarding Jim's question, I didn't mean either of those things in a literal sense, it was just a poorly chosen (especially in light of Jeff's correction) attempt to illustrate that Soho being empty after 9:30 doesn't necessarily mean London as a whole shuts up shop early in the evening.

Date: December 13, 2013 01:09PM

Josh '99
Jeff Hopkins '82
Josh '99
BMac

Regarding Jim's question, I didn't mean either of those things in a literal sense, it was just a poorly chosen (especially in light of Jeff's correction) attempt to illustrate that Soho being empty after 9:30 doesn't necessarily mean London as a whole shuts up shop early in the evening.

Mine wasn't really a question, but trying to make the point that:

1:I don't like the term "old folks" when it seems to be used in a less than positive manner. And I don't mind calling myself, old, I AM OLD.
2:Young people do go to the theatre as well. I did, as did many of my friends, at your age. And we went out after the show as well.
Stereotypestwak

Date: December 13, 2013 02:06PM

billhoward
Jordan 04
Jim Hyla

Frozen Four
April 7 and 9, 2016
Tampa Bay Times Forum
Tampa, Fla.
Naturally.
Naturally, indeed. The near-Midwest (Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana) winters and then retires on the West Coast of Florida, leaving the East Coast of Florida for people who just follow I-95 down the coast. Wisconsin would feel right at home hosting an event there at Tampa on the West side. The Florida Panhandle or Redneck Riviera is a third cultural region blessed with nicer, whiter beaches than beer can-tossers deserve.

If you've been to Fort Myers and the hockey tournament, that's the West Coast a couple hours south of Tampa. DisneyWorld is an hour northeast.

It's easy to knock Florida outside of Miami when you're under 30. At some point, you may be old enough to hate the twin threats of snow and inheritance taxes so much you'd consider Florida. What we really hate is seeing grandparents or friends' grandparents who didn't say enough to retire to anything nicer than a 2BR house or apt nowhere near the ocean and we realize that could be us someday.

Maybe Rita should chime in about Florida. She seems to be doing okay there.

I'm living in Miami and well, can't say too much about it because it is expensive to live here and driving anywhere is a pain in the butt (traffic, parking, very bad drivers).

The SW coast is full of northeastern and midwestern snowbirds. Heck, even Culvers recognizes this and is opening about a half dozen restaurants in the area (the one in Naples on Airport-Pulling road is already operational, and one is being built near Germain Arena in Estero). I much prefer the SW coast to Miami.

Things are getting better there with some eating-drinking establishments (those not in downtown Ft. Myers or on Ft. Myers Beach) staying open past 9 pm, and there are some breweries: Ft Myers Brewery, Point Ybel is opening tomorrow (12/14) and the Naples Beach Brewery. The latter seems to only have tours/tastings and doesn't sell on the premises. The Ft. Myers Brewery usually has food trucks on the premises and sells its beer in growlers.

Oh, for those coming for the Estero Tourney, the construction on Route 41 between Corkscrew and Alico Road is pretty much complete so that should ease traffic a bit.

Date: December 13, 2013 02:23PM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Jeff Hopkins '82
Josh '99
BMac

Mine wasn't really a question, but trying to make the point that:

1:I don't like the term "old folks" when it seems to be used in a less than positive manner. And I don't mind calling myself, old, I AM OLD.
2:Young people do go to the theatre as well. I did, as did many of my friends, at your age. And we went out after the show as well.
Stereotypestwak
You're correct on both counts, and that's why I admitted that it was a poorly worded attempt. I didn't mean to cause any offense.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2013 04:55PM

Jim Hyla
And everyone should keep in mind that "YOUNG" is not a permanent state.upto

Date: December 15, 2013 03:53PM

Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla
40 is old when you're 20. If you first see Animal House in HS or college, Dean Wormer's wife is clearly an older woman. Verna Bloom was 37 when the movie was filmed. It's all relative.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2013 09:25PM

Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla

Well, for that matter, "OLD" isn't permanent either... it does come to an end.

[/debbie downer]

Date: December 16, 2013 07:13AM

Give My Regards
Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla

Well, for that matter, "OLD" isn't permanent either... it does come to an end.

[/debbie downer]

True, but you hope that old comes first.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login