Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Recruits

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Recruits
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: August 28, 2013 05:33PM

Ryan Bliss to play in All-American Prospects Game. Only one other ECAC prospect invited.

Re: Recruits
Posted by: Weder (---.austin.hp.com)
Date: August 28, 2013 06:32PM

Just noticed this post from a few weeks ago on Cam Hackett downplaying speculation that he's interested in the OHL.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 08, 2013 12:55AM

Trevor Yates

and [www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2013 12:58AM by ursusminor.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2013 03:05AM

"Yates, who has put up a point per game or higher at Deerfield, projects as a scoring threat in the ECAC."

We'll fix that.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2013 10:53AM

RichH

"Yates, who has put up a point per game or higher at Deerfield, projects as a scoring threat in the ECAC."

We'll fix that.
+1 Coffee almost went down the wrong pipe, reading your post. Plus, it's a nice tribute to RichS (RIP), who coulda said the same thing.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2013 02:23PM

woulda!!

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: September 09, 2013 03:46PM

I can assure you that my posts here are not a tribute to any person, living or dead.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2013 08:47PM

Somebody in pajamas in their mom's basement ranks the ECAC recruiting classes.

5. Cornell

Matt Buckles, a fourth round selection of the Florida Panthers, is the top freshman for Cornell head coach Mike Schafer. Buckles' junior teammate, Patrick McCarron, is a very solid prospect on the blue line. Goaltender Mitch Gillam could be the replacement to Andy Iles down the line or could push the senior for playing time as early as this season.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2013 10:07AM

Trotsky
Somebody in pajamas in their mom's basement ranks the ECAC recruiting classes.

5. Cornell

Matt Buckles, a fourth round selection of the Florida Panthers, is the top freshman for Cornell head coach Mike Schafer. Buckles' junior teammate, Patrick McCarron, is a very solid prospect on the blue line. Goaltender Mitch Gillam could be the replacement to Andy Iles down the line or could push the senior for playing time as early as this season.

Not based upon Gillam's performance vs York, with all due respect...

Posted by: ScrewBUHarvardtoo (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2013 02:50AM

Gilman let up 2 goals on 2 shots. If that's our future then we better win it all this year or else we're in trouble

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2013 08:02AM

ScrewBUHarvardtoo
Gilman let up 2 goals on 2 shots. If that's our future then we better win it all this year or else we're in trouble
If you're gonna rip the guy for his performance in an exhibition game at the start of his freshman year without waiting to see whether he settles in, you should at least get his name right.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 12:21AM

Josh '99
ScrewBUHarvardtoo
If you're gonna rip the guy for his performance in an exhibition game at the start of his freshman year without waiting to see whether he settles in, you should at least get his name right.

Gilman an is not the answer

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 06:35PM

Swampy
Josh '99
ScrewBUHarvardtoo

Gilman an is not the answer

Beat me to it!

Date: October 25, 2013 07:37AM

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: October 25, 2013 01:47PM

ursusminor

One brother played @ Sucks, another is a senior at Babson, and another is a BU commit. Beau is listed as a "C" on the NHL watch list. Heisenberg has him listed as a 2015 and 69th in the Northeast.

Welcome, Beau!

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: October 25, 2013 06:40PM

Swampy
ursusminor

One brother played @ Sucks, another is a senior at Babson, and another is a BU commit. Beau is listed as a "C" on the NHL watch list. Heisenberg has him listed as a 2015 and 69th in the Northeast.

Welcome, Beau!

Based on the address, I think we already have a theme song!

Mr. Beau Dangles

Date: November 19, 2013 10:07PM

I'll let you guys dig up info on him. :)

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2013 10:28PM

ursusminor

Thanks for the info.
Welcome Sam.
It'll be awhile though, as Sam has a '98 birthdate.

Date: November 19, 2013 11:00PM

ursusminor

Here's some stuff:

U.S. Hockey Report puts him in the "Best of the Rest" catgory and says"

US Hockey Report
Sam Sternschein, F (Long Island Gulls U14/Black) 6-2/170 — Tall and skilled forward showed flashes of his high upside, but also went long stretches during which we didn’t notice him. Struggled on the Olympic sheet.

Scouting News says he is ranked #25 in the OHL draft this year.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 01:09AM

Sam Sternschein is from Syosset, which is also the hometown of recruit Corey Hoffman.

Here is a blurb on him from USHR in August 2012:

Sam Sternschein, F, ’98 (Long Island Gulls) — A player we were not previously familiar with. A big kid – 6’2” -- with a soft set of hands, Sternschein needs to add some quickness and tenacity to his game, but his potential is very high. It is not easy to find players with his frame – and an elite skill set. Sternschein will be followed closely over the next two years, but we think he will be someone the NTDP takes a long look at.

The USHR had this in November 2012.

Sam Sternschein, F (Long Island Gulls U14) — There is a lot to like about the Long Island product. When you see him skating around the first word that will pop into your head is “pro.” He has that tall, lanky frame – he’s 6’2” – and a nice long stride that makes scouts drool. That said, our knock on him is that there are long stretches of games where he is not involved. With his talent he should be dominant at this age, but there are times when he is not even the most productive forward on his own team.

And this from May 2013:

Sam Sternschein, F, ’98 (Long Island Gulls) 6-1/165 — Was placed on the same team as Harper and the two were dominant at times. Sternschein is tall, skilled, and projects well. Still needs to add a little more “get up and go” to his skating, but there is no doubt he is a prospect worth keeping tabs on.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 20, 2013 07:34AM

He's 15 and he's already 6'2"? Sounds like he's just figuring out how to work his new big body. He's got a few years to learn.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 22, 2013 12:15AM

He's only played a couple of AYHL games so far this year.......2 goals in 2 games.Sam's stats

This is the same league that Joakim Ryan (Devils), Eric Sade (Little Caps) and recruit Alex Rauter (North Jersey Avalanche) came from, although I think they "committed" much later. It's good AAA hockey, probably 10-20 kids per birth year make it to D1 hockey. My 3 boys play AAA hockey for the North Jersey Avalanche, I'm hoping that Coach has his eye on my oldest (14), he's a sniper. Class of '21 to '23 depending on how much junior seasoning he needs!

EDIT - P.S. Dante Palecco ('98 birth year) is a sniper, hope the staff has their eyes on him as well.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 12:17AM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 22, 2013 07:39AM

RatushnyFan
EDIT - P.S. Dante Palecco ('98 birth year) is a sniper, hope the staff has their eyes on him as well.

They may have, but he just committed to Yale:

Posted by: capswon (---.lebcnty.org)
Date: November 22, 2013 11:12AM

Dont forget about Donovan Ott as well. He played for the Hershey Jr. Bears then the Philadelphia Junior Flyers. He committed prior to his sophmore year at South Kent. AYHL has tons of talent. Agree with Palecco have gotten to watch him play against my son for years, he always played up a birth year.BTW best thing about going to Hackensack for a game against the Avalanche is Brooklyn's pizza shop down the street from the rink.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2013 05:51PM

capswon
Dont forget about Donovan Ott as well. He played for the Hershey Jr. Bears then the Philadelphia Junior Flyers. He committed prior to his sophmore year at South Kent. AYHL has tons of talent. Agree with Palecco have gotten to watch him play against my son for years, he always played up a birth year.BTW best thing about going to Hackensack for a game against the Avalanche is Brooklyn's pizza shop down the street from the rink.

If you're going to Hackensack you've got to try White Mana:

Posted by: capswon (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2013 10:40PM

I know when the boys were in town last year they stopped at white mana. Heart attack in a sack.

Posted by: hockeyfan23 (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: November 23, 2013 04:27PM

good recruiting by big red.
adding some of the typical tall players we need to be successful.
Taller the better
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 04:46PM by hockeyfan23.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 06:03PM

This is always an upbeat thread. Recruiting lists make you hopeful for next season and the season after that. Everybody recruited into college, including ours, has awesome prep and junior stats.

Date: November 25, 2013 11:51AM

andyw2100
capswon

If you're going to Hackensack you've got to try White Mana:
Seconded. It should be noted that Guy Fieri is, thankfully, not usually there.

Date: November 25, 2013 04:35PM

Daniel Wedman of the Bonnyville Pontiacs for 2015/16. [collegehockeyinc.com]. His page [ajhl.esportsdesk.com].

I have long liked the name Bonnyville Pontiacs. :)

Posted by: Weder (---.austin.hp.com)
Date: November 25, 2013 04:55PM

ursusminor
Daniel Wedman of the Bonnyville Pontiacs for 2015/16. [collegehockeyinc.com]. His page [ajhl.esportsdesk.com].

Wedman is under the impression that he'll be here sooner than that. ;-)

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: November 25, 2013 05:43PM

Weder
ursusminor

Apparently he's (or at least his coach is) also under the impression that he's getting a hockey scholarship.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: November 25, 2013 05:59PM

Swampy
Weder
ursusminor

Apparently he's (or at least his coach is) also under the impression that he's getting a hockey scholarship.
Don't take this personally, Swampy, but I wish people here would stop being such pedants and/or naifs about this phrasing. He is coming to Cornell to play hockey (and go to school). He is also (if we assume the coach isn't just making up the idea of a scholarship entirely) getting grants to do so, making it affordable. They are interrelated. Calling it a hockey scholarship is a lot closer to the truth than it seems eLF wants to admit.

Date: November 25, 2013 06:15PM

ugarte
Swampy
Weder
ursusminor

Don't take this personally, Swampy, but I wish people here would stop being such pedants and/or naifs about this phrasing. He is coming to Cornell to play hockey (and go to school). He is also (if we assume the coach isn't just making up the idea of a scholarship entirely) getting grants to do so, making it affordable. They are interrelated. Calling it a hockey scholarship is a lot closer to the truth than it seems eLF wants to admit.

He comes to Cornell to go to school and play hockey. He gets a scholarship because of his need, and maybe to match grants that another school had offered him. He doesn't get a hockey scholarship. And if you read the press release, they don't say that he gets a hockey scholarship, just that his hard work paid off with a scholarship to Cornell. I don't think that we should stop emphasizing that we don't give athletic scholarships. It is what sets us apart from most of the other Division I schools. We should be proud of it, and we should emphasize it.

Date: November 25, 2013 10:24PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Swampy
Weder
ursusminor

He comes to Cornell to go to school and play hockey. He gets a scholarship because of his need, and maybe to match grants that another school had offered him. He doesn't get a hockey scholarship. And if you read the press release, they don't say that he gets a hockey scholarship, just that his hard work paid off with a scholarship to Cornell. I don't think that we should stop emphasizing that we don't give athletic scholarships. It is what sets us apart from most of the other Division I schools. We should be proud of it, and we should emphasize it.

Besides, my comment was sort of a joke. You're supposed to laugh or at least chuckle. It's like pointing out someone saying Ken Dryden was in goal during our undefeated season. (Something else we shouldn't stop emphasizing, the only undefeated season in NCAA hockey history that is.)

Date: November 26, 2013 03:03AM

Swampy
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Swampy
Weder
ursusminor

Besides, my comment was sort of a joke. You're supposed to laugh or at least chuckle. It's like pointing out someone saying Ken Dryden was in goal during our undefeated season. (Something else we shouldn't stop emphasizing, the only undefeated season in NCAA hockey history that is.)

The only undefeated season in NCAA hockey history that resulted in an NCAA D-I championship that is. :-D (Clarkson in 1956)

Date: November 26, 2013 10:19PM

I love his size.
Adding some bigger players.
Is this a fluke? or does cornell like big players?

would make complete sense considering we have one of the smallest ice surfaces in college hockey.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2013 09:05AM

Wedman (white 3) with some Old Tyme Hockey for Got6 to bitch about:

Date: November 27, 2013 12:19PM

hockeyfan23
I love his size.

would make complete sense considering we have one of the smallest ice surfaces in college hockey.
Is this actually true? Lynah is (nominally) 200x85, same as most other arenas, though I suppose if the corner radius is non-standard it could still be smaller than typical.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 27, 2013 12:26PM

Josh '99
hockeyfan23
I love his size.

Is this actually true? Lynah is (nominally) 200x85, same as most other arenas, though I suppose if the corner radius is non-standard it could still be smaller than typical.
Has anyone ever measured the place to see whether it really is 200x85? (I mean any of us.) It wouldn't surprise me if it were a few feet shorter than nominal. But really the ifference is generally the corners as you say.

Date: November 27, 2013 01:27PM

lynah's small radius corners make the rink slightly larger than the standard nhl dimensions.

Date: November 27, 2013 01:55PM

The rink might be 200x85. tough to say however it seems smaller.

Im sure it seems smaller if you play a game considering the lynah faithful are right on top of you

Date: November 27, 2013 02:42PM

imafrshmn
lynah's small radius corners make the rink slightly larger than the standard nhl dimensions.
Huh? How does that follow? Where are the length and width measured? I asumed from the boards in the middle of each side, which would mean the size of the corners would have no impact on length, just area. Am I wrong?

Date: November 27, 2013 03:38PM

KeithK
imafrshmn
Huh? How does that follow? Where are the length and width measured? I asumed from the boards in the middle of each side, which would mean the size of the corners would have no impact on length, just area. Am I wrong?

Sorry. I meant larger in terms of area

Date: November 27, 2013 05:12PM

imafrshmn
KeithK
imafrshmn

Sorry. I meant larger in terms of area
Ah, got it.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2013 02:22PM

New recruit, Dwyer Tschantz:

As per custom, he's 6'5"

Date: November 30, 2013 02:51PM

scoop85

As per custom, he's 6'5"

"May the Tschantz be with you."

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 04:30PM

Trotsky
scoop85

As per custom, he's 6'5"

"May the Tschantz be with you."

Fat Tschantz!

Date: November 30, 2013 05:23PM

AFAIK, Dwyer is the first Cornell player from Delaware.

grades
Date: January 10, 2014 02:59PM

Ive always wondered, what grades and SAT scores do these recruits have? are they held up to the standard of a normal "Ivy" student?

Re: grades
Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 04:57PM

hockeyfan23
Ive always wondered, what grades and SAT scores do these recruits have? are they held up to the standard of a normal "Ivy" student?

I'm pretty sure the math here is the answer you're looking for:

[home.comcast.net]

Re: grades
Date: January 23, 2014 07:17AM

Coaches can now contact recruits 6 months earlier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login