Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Section B

Posted by Tub(a) 
Section B
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2003 10:00PM

pissed

I will give you a chance to explain yourselves before I completely tear into you.

Why did you find it necessary to taunt RPI while one of their players was lying motionless on the ice? I can understand that the person facing the section might not have seen the injured player, but 95% of the sheep that followed him could have. You do NOT do or say anything during an injury out of respect for the person lying on the ice. There are no excuses for this kind of stupidity.

Thank goodness this game wasn't televised. I would be embarassed to be associated with anyone that participated in that series of events.

Re: Section B
Posted by: dadeo (---.dialup.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2003 10:10PM

to be fair, I was in one of the seats that was just about 5 feet from where the incident happened, and it was a silly injury. A stick was wedged between the RPI player's legs, and when he tried to skate, he was upended. None of us who were right there thought it was too serious. However, I'm sure IF he was injured, we all hope he is alright..

Posted by: Greg '03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2003 10:16PM

I wouldn't kill them. It may have been hard to see from where you were standing, but it looked like the "injury" was a stick to the nuts. Perhaps those yelling at RPI thought the player was simply faking because it is difficult to have a serious injury while up against the boards.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2003 10:31PM

As a person in section B for the night ( :-D ), I had no idea there was a man down, it being in the far corner by E/F, as soon as someone pointed it out 95% of the people stopped.

Posted by: Jordan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2003 10:37PM

Took me a while as well to find out a man was injured.

I was more disappointed by the continued throwing of crap onto the ice...this time during sticks-in-the-air. Sure, the coach wasn't getting off the ice, and he knew what he was holding up, but you don't throw stuff at him. The linesman was there to handle it.

Posted by: peterg (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 10:55AM

The doctor who looked at the player told me he'd be fine - but that he'd be surprised if we saw him on the ice again this weekend. It was a real injury.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2003 11:04AM

[Q]I was more disappointed by the continued throwing of crap onto the ice...this time during sticks-in-the-air. Sure, the coach wasn't getting off the ice, and he knew what he was holding up, but you don't throw stuff at him. The linesman was there to handle it.[/Q]
Yeah, it was kinda stupid, but did you see the coach afterwards? The linesmen guided him off and he moved off, but just before the Cornell players did their salute, he stuck his toe back on the ice. Not in a "I'm just standing here way", but in a foot reached out in front of him, "nay-nee nay-nee boo boo" way. What are we, 3 years old?!?

P.S. what was he pissed off about anyway?

Posted by: French Rage (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 11:26AM

I was in B and had no idea a player was down, until some RPI bandie was looking at us all shocked. Furthermore, the cheers were not taunting. the first was some guy, who obviously was at first game, yelling "give me a C, give me an O,...". The second was the "RPI...sucks", which I view as aimed at the whole team, and not just that player. Furthermore, RPI had given out cheap shots all night; don't give it if you can't take it.

So Grant, learn what you're talking about before you say it please.

Posted by: Jordan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 11:28AM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

[Q]I was more disappointed by the continued throwing of crap onto the ice...this time during sticks-in-the-air. Sure, the coach wasn't getting off the ice, and he knew what he was holding up, but you don't throw stuff at him. The linesman was there to handle it.[/Q]
Yeah, it was kinda stupid, but did you see the coach afterwards? The linesmen guided him off and he moved off, but just before the Cornell players did their salute, he stuck his toe back on the ice. Not in a "I'm just standing here way", but in a foot reached out in front of him, "nay-nee nay-nee boo boo" way. What are we, 3 years old?!?

P.S. what was he pissed off about anyway?

I must have missed that t the end. He certainly was acting childish at the end there, but still, it just looks horrible to start throwing stuff onto the ice.

I think he was just pissed about the officiating the entire night. He was screaming right from the start when we got our first PP and then the 5x3. Schafer too was unhappy with the officiating at times, as he had a chat with Murphy in front of the official's locker room at the end of period 1 (or it may have been 2 -- I forget). The officiating was inconsistent and poor all evening, I thought. Murphy (and Feola) made sure everyone knew they had whistles and were allowed to call penalties. And the linesmen were on quite the power trip when it came to faceoffs...

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 15, 2003 11:47AM

No excuse for throwing stuff on the ice or at a player or coach, no matter how asinine Fridge might be. Hurl insults all you want.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 11:57AM

Actually I thought Fridge was waiting to talk to the ref, rather than trying to stop our stick lifting. I doubt he would care that much about our players and fans.

On the other hand the RIP player who took a shot, with the puck, at Lenny after the end of the game is a real jerk. It wasn't a hard shot, but I guess he was frustrated. pissed

Posted by: atb9 (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 12:00PM

I thought he was pissed off at the time keeper most among other things. At the end of the game, Murphy had to put 3 extra seconds on the clock (from 6 to 9) and then when the buzzer sounded, Fridge waddled straight for the time keeper and exchanged a few words.

About the injured player...There was a student in front of me that got yelled at for screaming, "Get off the ice you p*ssy!" when the entire crowd was silent. That was pretty classless and if you're talking about him, I totally agree, he deserved what he got. Dumbass.

Post Edited (03-15-03 12:08)

Posted by: Ben '03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 12:04PM

Jim, He definitely knew exactly what he was doing and that was surely more than just waiting for the officials to come off the ice. He could have easily waited at the door for them to come off but he decided not to move and make a scene. . . screwy

Posted by: Chris Parkin '03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 12:18PM

[Q]I was in B and had no idea a player was down, until some RPI bandie was looking at us all shocked. Furthermore, the cheers were not taunting. the first was some guy, who obviously was at first game, yelling "give me a C, give me an O,...". The second was the "RPI...sucks", which I view as aimed at the whole team, and not just that player. Furthermore, RPI had given out cheap shots all night; don't give it if you can't take it.

So Grant, learn what you're talking about before you say it please. [/Q]

a) I was in section A. I didn't see the player get hurt, but it didn't take long to realize something was wrong. Did you not see the trainer coming onto the ice? It was after this that the cheers started.

b) Sure, "RPI...sucks" is taunting aimed at the entire team, of which the injured player is part. There's no excuse for taunting anybody when a player is down. It's absurd.

c) RPI giving out cheap shots obviously justifies one of their players being injured.rolleyes You shouldn't wish injury on anyone-- cheap shots or not.

d) As far as telling Grant to learn what he's talking about, Grant was mad that people didn't have the common sense to shut up during an injury. What does he need to learn? Does he need to learn how to be a callous jerk?

Posted by: AbbottFan1419 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 12:26PM

well personally, i sit in N and i didn't realize that a player was down until after the trainer came out. maybe it was because i wasnt paying attention or i dont know... but still you shouldn't taunt a team when one of their players are down...even if they really do suck. nut
-the abbott fan

Posted by: KDORK (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 01:25PM

we're never callous

Posted by: Josh Herman '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 01:31PM

As other people said, we couldn't see him. You don't have any view of that Corner at all from B. (Or A, I'd imagine.) Furthermore, there were a lot of idiots in B last night who had no idea what was going on. I hate to think how bad it'll be tonight.

Posted by: Rob Komorowski '03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 06:11PM

I also didnt see the player down when the cheer was going. But I also hate to see fans who come in and criticize other Section Bers because they are not the fans that other people want them to be. Yeah there are stupid people there but that shouldnt take away from your enjoyment of the game or cause people to call them out and explain what terrible fans they are. Personally no matter how stupid/ignorant other fans are a) they have a right to be there as much as a 4 yr season ticket holder as myself and b) Im gonna have a great time watching my favorite hockey team in the world!

Go RED!

Date: March 15, 2003 06:19PM

Right on! It's all good.

I'm going to be enjoying my last home game as a student!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 06:24PM

Anybody who throws anything other than hats and fish on the ice should be forced to wash the players' shorts by hand. Or wash the players by hand. Except I can imagine what we'd see thrown on the ice then.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 15, 2003 06:37PM

You forgot newspaper.

Posted by: dadeo (---.dialup.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2003 09:55PM

The official word on what happened to that dude was while he was upended, he sprained his knee, and not a nut-shot as was first thought. This was coming from a team official.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 09:59PM

David'02 wrote:

and not a nut-shot as was first thought.
Is that a medical term?

Date: March 15, 2003 10:02PM

Another RPI skater got injured tonight early and the faithful were back to their respectful selves. The guy was able to skate off himself and there was only applause for him.

Posted by: neil shapiro (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 10:43PM

Doesn't anyone throw sieves (strainers) anymore when we score...or cheap fake glassless glasses when the ref blows a call?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2003 11:12PM

Back in my old days, there were multiple strainers/sieves thrown when we scored the first goal. However, now that's likely to get you a penalty.

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.so-net.net.tw)
Date: March 16, 2003 03:50PM

Wasn't Dan Murphy the referee on this night? Murphy sucks, has sucked since the early 90s, and something just does not change with time. :-(

Posted by: redice (---.218.25.37.usadatanet.net)
Date: March 16, 2003 05:44PM

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned classless Nolan Graham of RPI. Did anyone see him hacking at the back of Doug Murray's knees in the last minute of the Saturday game. Both players were headed to their respective benches. The play was well behind them in the RPI zone. It looked like a blatant attempt to aggravate Doug's ailing knee. I have to guess that Graham was doing this because he knew that, in the last minute of his last college game, he probably wouldn't have to face the wrath of Murray again. Totally classless, Mr. Graham!!!!!!

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2003 05:53PM

This type of attack by RIP players is not uncommon. There was an attempt to instigate a fight by the SENIOR RPI players at the conclusion of game 3 in Troy (1998). That was the last three game set between RIP and Cornell. Fridgen came on the ice to collar his boys which is ironic because his bonehead style of coaching is what causes the players to be so jerky.

The lack of on ice class has been legendary in their program under Dan the Fridge.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login