Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Tim Taylor Dies

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Tim Taylor Dies
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2013 09:01AM

I could never understand why he got so many Coach-of-the-Year awards, but it's still sad to see him go. I wonder if he got to see Yale win the NCAAs.

Here's the CHN page and the USCHO page.

Re: Tim Taylor Dies
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 12:22PM

Jim Hyla
I could never understand why he got so many Coach-of-the-Year awards, but it's still sad to see him go. I wonder if he got to see Yale win the NCAAs. Here's the CHN page and the USCHO page.
COTY can be for longevity or in his case longevity combined with raising the program to the next level. In Taylor's case, the next level was leading Yale to its first NCAA appearance in 46 years. Plus he may have been a nice guy and respected by his players. It may also be Yale cared about having a team in that gorgeous building and less about whether they got above .500, until a couple years ago. The obits say one national COTY and three ECAC COTY awards.

The Hartford Courant obituary noted, "Taylor lived in Guilford [CT]. He did not maintain close ties to the Yale program after leaving the program, but remained close with Allain, his first goaltender with the Bulldogs in 1976-80." Compare that with Cornell lax coach Richie Moran who left as head coach two decades ago (1997) and still is a fan of Cornell and Cornell sports and was there cheering on the Red Saturday in the Meadowlands. [elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 29, 2013 12:31PM

Adam W. tweeted his article from 2006 when Taylor got the boot, an interesting read for those who care. RIP Tim.

Tim Taylor - Yale

Date: April 29, 2013 04:36PM

In short: >>> [Wodon] In a sport filled with great gentlemen, Tim Taylor is perhaps at the top of the list. An extremely friendly and engaging guy, his burning desire to win was often not easy to notice, but it was there. Unfortunately, there were many more losses than wins for Taylor ...

Date: April 30, 2013 11:49AM

New York Times obituary today (4/30): [www.nytimes.com]. Fairly lengthy, because Tim Taylor was of the Boston Globe Taylors, the controlling family, and the NY Times bought the Globe.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 30, 2013 12:58PM

billhoward
New York Times obituary today (4/30): [www.nytimes.com]. Fairly lengthy, because Tim Taylor was of the Boston Globe Taylors, the controlling family, and the NY Times bought the Globe.

I like this quote:

Taylor, who turned around a losing program at Yale and coached the Elis for 28 seasons,...

Turned around a losing program into a most often losing program? I'll give them that it was better under him, but maybe it could have been worded differently.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 30, 2013 01:18PM

Jim Hyla
billhoward

I like this quote:

Taylor, who turned around a losing program at Yale and coached the Elis for 28 seasons,...

Turned around a losing program into a most often losing program? I'll give them that it was better under him, but maybe it could have been worded differently.
To be fair, the team he inherited in 1976 really was spectacularly bad. In the prior 9 years they had finished at best 11th in the 17-team ECAC, and in the prior 2 they were 1-39-1 in conference play. Under Taylor within 2 years he had them close to .500 and within 3 they were in the playoffs (top 8).

Although Yale did yo yo back and forth from the bottom in Taylor's tenure they had some very good teams. I think we are a little biased in our estimation because Cornell completely destroyed Yale during most of that time. From the 1968 through 1996 seasons Cornell went 48-13-1 in RS against Yale, and most of the good work (31-12-1) was done against Taylor.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 01:34PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: June 10, 2013 05:30PM

Ken Schott reports that the Hockey Commisioners Association names its Rookie of the Year Award after Tim Taylor

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2013 11:07PM

I misread the title and thought it was about Tim Tebow. I thought it was going to be a dig against the Pats. :)

Date: June 12, 2013 03:20PM

ftyuv
I misread the title and thought it was about Tim Tebow. I thought it was going to be a dig against the Pats. :)
Soon enough, it will. 5 Tim Tebow sports coverage tips for the lucky Boston sports columnists

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 01:27AM

billhoward
ftyuv
Soon enough, it will. 5 Tim Tebow sports coverage tips for the lucky Boston sports columnists
Ha! I love it. Dan Shaughnessy will fall into all of those traps and more, I'm sure.

Date: June 14, 2013 09:57AM

ftyuv
billhoward
ftyuv
Ha! I love it. Dan Shaughnessy will fall into all of those traps and more, I'm sure.
Shaughnessy is one of the all-time greats of sportswriting (but even the legends have off days). Peter Gammons, Bob Ryan and Dan Shaughnessy are sportswriting's equivalent of the (sorry) 1927 Yankees.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: June 14, 2013 11:44AM

ftyuv

Um, excuse me, Mr. Moderator? There needs to be ONE BLEEPING PLACE I can go on the Internet without having to see anything about that football guy...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 14, 2013 12:11PM

Give My Regards
ftyuv

Um, excuse me, Mr. Moderator? There needs to be ONE BLEEPING PLACE I can go on the Internet without having to see anything about that football guy...

Who? Belichek? whistle

Date: June 14, 2013 12:42PM

billhoward
Shaughnessy is one of the all-time greats of sportswriting (but even the legends have off days). Peter Gammons, Bob Ryan and Dan Shaughnessy are sportswriting's equivalent of the (sorry) 1927 Yankees.

This is like a parody of Boston self-absorption from The Onion. Add Mitch Albom and you would have the Mount Rushmore of overrated hacks.*

(* this is not quite fair to Gammons, who had talent before being swallowed into the Bristol maw).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 12:43PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 14, 2013 12:55PM

Trotsky
billhoward

This is like a parody of Boston self-absorption from The Onion. Add Mitch Albom and you would have the Mount Rushmore of overrated hacks.*

(* this is not quite fair to Gammons, who had talent before being swallowed into the Bristol maw).
Agreed. Shaughnessy sucks. He's one of those people who sounds erudite to morons but in actuality is about as deep as a puddle.

But, FWIW... the same is true of pretty much all sportswriters. New Yorkers (Lupica included) are no exception.

Date: June 14, 2013 02:20PM

Kyle Rose
But, FWIW... the same is true of pretty much all sportswriters. New Yorkers (Lupica included) are no exception.
Certainly. In the kingdom of the blind, even Tony Kornheiser can be king.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2013 03:00PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
billhoward

Agreed. Shaughnessy sucks. He's one of those people who sounds erudite to morons but in actuality is about as deep as a puddle.

Seriously, Lupica is one of the worst.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: June 14, 2013 03:13PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Seriously. I sat for a minute trying to come up with the name of any major-market sportswriter who I know I enjoy reading. Most are terrible, and seem to care more about having bronzing sessions or facelifts so ESPN will put them in one of the 60 screaming-head panel/game show slots, because TeeVee! I finally came up with Jim Caple and Tim Kurkjian. The former is more of a humorist than anything, and the latter must be a good writer, because he has the on-air personality of a halibut. I think I've also enjoyed some of Richard Justice's writing, but I don't remember any specific examples.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 14, 2013 03:55PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Tony's great, but he doesn't write. He'd be the first to tell you.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: June 14, 2013 06:45PM

Jordan 04
Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Tony's great, but he doesn't write. He'd be the first to tell you.

Alls I knows is his daughter went to Cornell, so that wins a tiebreaker.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2013 06:58AM

RichH
Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Seriously. I sat for a minute trying to come up with the name of any major-market sportswriter who I know I enjoy reading.

Charlie Pierce?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2013 12:40AM

jtwcornell91
RichH
Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Seriously. I sat for a minute trying to come up with the name of any major-market sportswriter who I know I enjoy reading.

Charlie Pierce?

(on NPR nerd soapbox) I like him a lot as a guest panelist on "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" and his weekly segment on "Only a Game" (off NPR nerd soapbox). He does have some "pompousness" that might alienate some people. But at 7 am on Saturdays (when Only a Game" airs in my local market) my "pompousness" radar is not yet functional.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 16, 2013 06:30PM

RichH
[Kurkjian] must be a good writer, because he has the on-air personality of a halibut.
I love his on air personality because it's so obvious that he just absoluely loves baseball. I remember watching him talk about a game a few years ago when Texas put up 30 runs against the Orioles. He was positively gushing about what happened, not because he cared about who won or lost but because it was a remarkable ballgame. I felt the exact same way. ) I speciifically remember his voice cracking in the way that it does as he explained how the last pitched for the winning Rangers got a save in a 30-3 game.)

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2013 07:48PM

I like Charlie Pierce.

If you read NBA coverage:

Zack Smith at Grantland is fantastic- consistently bringing insight in his pieces.

John Hollinger has always been good at using numbers rather than his opinion- unfortunately too good, he doesn't write anymore and got picked up by the Grizzlies.

There was another guy at ESPN who wrote about the NBA and was good, can't recall his name. He did the same things Smith does with including videos and breaking them down.

Date: June 17, 2013 12:44AM

BMac
I like Charlie Pierce.

If you read NBA coverage:

Zack Smith at Grantland is fantastic- consistently bringing insight in his pieces.

John Hollinger has always been good at using numbers rather than his opinion- unfortunately too good, he doesn't write anymore and got picked up by the Grizzlies.

There was another guy at ESPN who wrote about the NBA and was good, can't recall his name. He did the same things Smith does with including videos and breaking them down.
And maybe to your point, the sportswriter who matters going forward is a sportcaster.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2013 08:33AM

RichH
Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Seriously. I sat for a minute trying to come up with the name of any major-market sportswriter who I know I enjoy reading. Most are terrible, and seem to care more about having bronzing sessions or facelifts so ESPN will put them in one of the 60 screaming-head panel/game show slots, because TeeVee! I finally came up with Jim Caple and Tim Kurkjian. The former is more of a humorist than anything, and the latter must be a good writer, because he has the on-air personality of a halibut. I think I've also enjoyed some of Richard Justice's writing, but I don't remember any specific examples.
Does Joe Posnanski count? He's fantastic.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: June 17, 2013 02:54PM

KeithK
RichH
[Kurkjian] must be a good writer, because he has the on-air personality of a halibut.
I love his on air personality because it's so obvious that he just absoluely loves baseball. I remember watching him talk about a game a few years ago when Texas put up 30 runs against the Orioles. He was positively gushing about what happened, not because he cared about who won or lost but because it was a remarkable ballgame. I felt the exact same way. ) I speciifically remember his voice cracking in the way that it does as he explained how the last pitched for the winning Rangers got a save in a 30-3 game.)

I guess I should clarify that I'm a fan of Kurkjian partly because his knowledge and enthusiam sidestepped the usual telegenic requirements needed to get on-air. Despite possessing a squeaky and squauky voice and lacking matinee-idol looks and charisma, he's just substantially good at what he does. And that's rare these days.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 17, 2013 04:42PM

RichH
KeithK
RichH

I guess I should clarify that I'm a fan of Kurkjian partly because his knowledge and enthusiam sidestepped the usual telegenic requirements needed to get on-air. Despite possessing a squeaky and squauky voice and lacking matinee-idol looks and charisma, he's just substantially good at what he does. And that's rare these days.
Agreed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login