Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Early Departures Elsewhere: 2013 Edition

Posted by Trotsky 
Early Departures Elsewhere: 2013 Edition
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 10:13PM

List

From the ECAC:

Lindblad, F, Drt, Jr
Grosenick, G, Uni, Jr

Minnesota has lost five players.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 11:06AM by Trotsky.

Re: Early Departures: 2013 Edition
Posted by: redice (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 11, 2013 08:25AM

Trotsky
List

From the ECAC:

Lindblad, F, Drt, Jr
Grosenick, G, Uni, Jr

Minnesota has lost five players.

Grosenick signed with the Sharks

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: April 11, 2013 08:41AM

Who else panicked upon seeing the tread title?

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-2.myvzw.com)
Date: April 11, 2013 09:15AM

Jordan 04
Who else panicked upon seeing the thread title?

Rick Bennett?

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: April 11, 2013 09:48AM

Jordan 04

Guilty.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: April 11, 2013 09:51AM

Which underclassman looks like he's ready for the pros again? I'm having a hard time worrying about early departures this year.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 11, 2013 09:55AM

Kyle Rose
Which underclassman looks like he's ready for the pros again? I'm having a hard time worrying about early departures this year.
Did Sasha look ready?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2013 10:43AM

Jordan 04
Exactly. Please change this heading to Early Departures Elsewhere

Posted by: ugarte (38.96.141.---)
Date: April 11, 2013 10:53AM

Kyle Rose
Bardreau

Date: April 11, 2013 11:07AM

billhoward
Jordan 04
Exactly. Please change this heading to Early Departures Elsewhere
Done

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: April 11, 2013 11:17AM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
Did Sasha look ready?
Pokulok was very good on a very good team. (The '06 squad doesn't rise to the level of "great", but almost.)
ugarte
Bardreau
Bardreau is a diamond in the rough: it's easy to look good relative to your teammates when everyone else is mailing it in.

Date: April 11, 2013 11:21AM

I was shocked when Sasha went. I thought he actually got worse during his college career.

Of our other major early departures I would also mention Pelletier and Hynes as big surprises.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 11, 2013 11:29AM

Trotsky
I was shocked when Sasha went. I thought he actually got worse during his college career.

Of our other major early departures I would also mention Pelletier and Hynes as big surprises.

List needs Hudon, right? and Marozzi.

Date: April 11, 2013 11:52AM

pfibiger
Trotsky

It used to be all inclusive, but I tried to scale it back to people who made significant contributions. And Damian.

Date: April 11, 2013 11:54AM

Kyle Rose
ugarte
Bardreau
Bardreau is a diamond in the rough: it's easy to look good relative to your teammates when everyone else is mailing it in.
His other teammates won a gold medal. He looked pretty good there too.

Date: April 11, 2013 11:57AM

Trotsky
Ye Olde Ryan Hughes Syndrome.

JMP's departure didn't shock me. He had proved what he needed to in college and he signed a pretty substantial contract, IIRC.

Date: April 11, 2013 12:03PM

ugarte
JMP's departure didn't shock me. He had proved what he needed to in college and he signed a pretty substantial contract, IIRC.

I didn't mean shocked in the sense of how could you leave us and for what? Truckloads of money? Think of the higher things in life, Jean-Marc, now get back here and finish your art and architecture degree.

I meant shocked in the sense of who the fuck is going to drop that much cash on this guy?
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 12:04PM by Trotsky.

Date: April 11, 2013 12:08PM

ugarte
I'm not sure Ryan got worse. He looked worse when he lost 67% of the most explosive line Cornell has skated since the Carter presidency, but that might simply mean he was never really that good to begin with.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 12:08PM by Trotsky.

Date: April 11, 2013 12:12PM

Trotsky
ugarte

I didn't mean shocked in the sense of how could you leave us and for what? Truckloads of money? Think of the higher things in life, Jean-Marc, now get back here and finish your art and architecture degree.

I meant shocked in the sense of who the fuck is going to drop that much cash on this guy?
I went back and looked at his stats and now I'M shocked. I thought he had a year as a primary starter but... nope. On the other hand, if the Flyers cared enough to draft him in the second round that was pretty good evidence that he might not be in Ithaca for four years. Especially if he couldn't beat Jason Elliott out of the starting job.

EDIT: I was thinking of Parris Duffus when I wrote "he proved what he needed to in college."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 12:25PM by ugarte.

Date: April 11, 2013 12:13PM

Trotsky
ugarte
I'm not sure Ryan got worse. He looked worse when he lost 67% of the most explosive line Cornell has skated since the Carter presidency, but that might simply mean he was never really that good to begin with.
Eh. He was drafted off of his pre-Cornell skills and then never developed / regressed with the team. The four goals in a 5-4 loss still survives as a very emotionally confusing memory for me.

EDIT: Now that I'm going down memory lane, I looked Hughes up. He had a couple of good minor league seasons and a cup of coffee with Boston (stunned I didn't remember that). Then probably injuries, since he hardly played in the IHL the year after he got on the ice with the Bruins. I'll stop blaming McCutcheon for ruining him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 12:17PM by ugarte.

Date: April 11, 2013 12:19PM

ugarte
Trotsky
ugarte
Eh. He was drafted off of his pre-Cornell skills and then never developed / regressed with the team. The four goals in a 5-4 loss still survives as a very emotionally confusing memory for me.

EDIT: Now that I'm going down memory lane, I looked Hughes up. He had a couple of good minor league seasons and a cup of coffee with Boston (stunned I didn't remember that). Then probably injuries, since he hardly played in the IHL the year after he got on the ice with the Bruins. I'll stop blaming McCutcheon for ruining him.

SECOND EDIT: Anyone got $1.15 burning a hole in his/her pocket?

Date: April 11, 2013 12:32PM

Of the players who have been hyped prior to playing their first Cornell game, JMP is near the top and perhaps at the top of goalies (Post-1980. Older memories may vary.)

The pre-hyped that I recall are, in rough order and I'm sure I am forgetting a couple:

Manderville
Riley Nash
Nieuwendyk
Mark McRae
Casey Jones
The Devin Brothers
Ferlin
Joe Dragon
Pete Marcov
Chartrand (but maybe only because he happened to be in a NYT article prior to coming)
Murray
Matt Connors (they can't all pan out)
Mark McCutcheon

JMP
Iles
Darrin McInnis
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 12:33PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 11, 2013 12:48PM

ugarte
I'll stop blaming McCutcheon for ruining him.

I remember a story going around that Hughes' father blamed McCutcheon and was telling anyone and everyone in Canada not to play for him.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.207.252.64.snet.net)
Date: April 11, 2013 02:35PM

I'm pretty sure Bâby came in already drafted. Are we counting that as pre-hyped, or are we setting that bar higher? I just remember a lot of people being excited by how big he was (yes, that's what she said). But since I was also an '03, I lack a certain historical perspective on the matter.

Date: April 11, 2013 02:46PM

Jerseygirl
I'm pretty sure Bâby came in already drafted. Are we counting that as pre-hyped, or are we setting that bar higher? I just remember a lot of people being excited by how big he was (yes, that's what she said). But since I was also an '03, I lack a certain historical perspective on the matter.

I don't recall Bâby buzz, but of course there were also times when I was a lot more plugged in. Others' lists will I'm sure be quite different. I suspect for example that nobody not on eLF ever heard any buzz about Connors -- he may have been the Big Dave Francis of his time.

Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2013 05:16PM

ugarte
Kyle Rose
Bardreau
Are you kidding me? He's not even one of the top three Sophomores on the team...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 05:19PM by BearLover.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2013 05:24PM

BearLover
ugarte
Kyle Rose
Bardreau
Are you kidding me? He's not even one of the top three Sophomores on the team...

... in bizarro world.

Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2013 07:06PM

marty
BearLover
ugarte
Kyle Rose
Bardreau

... in bizarro world.
You think Bardreau is better than Ferlin, Lowry, and Ryan? When he averages about 1/2 as many PPG as those guys? When he wasn't even drafted, unlike those guys? I'm sorry, but what makes you think he's at all ready for the NHL, or will ever play in the NHL? I love Bardreau and he'll make a great captain. He doesn't appear to be much of an NHL prospect though. Hope I'm wrong.

Date: April 11, 2013 07:59PM

BearLover
Hope I'm wrong.

Me, too! BTW, Bardreau's stock seems to have been rising with a bullet. During the WJC they were really singing his praises.

You are certainly right he was not as highly thought of as those guys when he got here, but he has quietly become a much better player, and last December was his coming out party. People are watching him now.

Bardreau's late development reminds me of a guy who I watched come up through the Portland Winter Hawks system in the WHL. Paul Gaustad. He was a completely unheralded late bloomer who came from nowhere to seize an excellent NHL career.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 08:03PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2013 08:44PM

Trotsky
BearLover
Hope I'm wrong.

Me, too! BTW, Bardreau's stock seems to have been rising with a bullet. During the WJC they were really singing his praises.

You are certainly right he was not as highly thought of as those guys when he got here, but he has quietly become a much better player, and last December was his coming out party. People are watching him now.

Bardreau's late development reminds me of a guy who I watched come up through the Portland Winter Hawks system in the WHL. Paul Gaustad. He was a completely unheralded late bloomer who came from nowhere to seize an excellent NHL career.

My bias was based on seeing him eat up Union this year on the night before the injury at RPI.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2013 08:59PM

BearLover
marty
BearLover
ugarte
Kyle Rose
Bardreau

... in bizarro world.
You think Bardreau is better than Ferlin, Lowry, and Ryan? When he averages about 1/2 as many PPG as those guys? When he wasn't even drafted, unlike those guys? I'm sorry, but what makes you think he's at all ready for the NHL, or will ever play in the NHL? I love Bardreau and he'll make a great captain. He doesn't appear to be much of an NHL prospect though. Hope I'm wrong.

Being an NHL draft pick is only one indicator: Cornell had more on its roster than Yale and Quinnipiac combined this season.

Date: April 11, 2013 09:05PM

ithacat
BearLover
marty
BearLover
ugarte
Kyle Rose
Bardreau

... in bizarro world.

Being an NHL draft pick is only one indicator: Cornell had more on its roster than Yale and Quinnipiac combined this season.

To be fair, there are probably a half dozen guys on the Q roster who qualify for AARP.

Posted by: RichH (66.230.74.---)
Date: April 12, 2013 11:24AM

Trotsky
pfibiger
Trotsky

It used to be all inclusive, but I tried to scale it back to people who made significant contributions. And Damian.

Tony Romano & Justin Milo?

Posted by: ithacat (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2013 11:45AM

Trotsky
ithacat
BearLover
marty
BearLover
ugarte
Kyle Rose
Bardreau

... in bizarro world.

To be fair, there are probably a half dozen guys on the Q roster who qualify for AARP.
Fair enough.

Date: April 12, 2013 12:56PM

RichH
Trotsky
pfibiger
Trotsky

Tony Romano & Justin Milo?
I think I removed them out of petulance.

Mine and theirs.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2013 02:52PM

Trotsky

This reminded me that Dick Bertrand wasn't allowed to play in the 1970 NCAAs because, as I recall, he was either too old or had some junior hockey experience that disqualified him, yet he played in every other game that year. Does anyone know for sure why he didn't play?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2013 03:19PM

George64
Trotsky

This reminded me that Dick Bertrand wasn't allowed to play in the 1970 NCAAs because, as I recall, he was either too old or had some junior hockey experience that disqualified him, yet he played in every other game that year. Does anyone know for sure why he didn't play?
He was too old at 29.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login