Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Thank You

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Thank You
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 07:38AM

The whining and bad mouthing can go on, but I still feel thankful. As I said in another thread, this year had its periods of suckiness, too many and too long for sure, but we still came within seconds of going to AC. Most of the rest of the teams would have easily traded places with us to get that opportunity. We had a lot more chances to swear than to cheer, but in the end I can still say I enjoyed myself. Mostly that comes from my fellow fans. There are those that I sit next to, those that I see at away games and those that I meet here. Mostly they are different, non-overlapping groups, but they all are passionate CU hockey fans.

So I say thank you to all of you. Wherever I have met you, thank you. For you have made The Lynah Faithful what it is and what it's known for. I love hearing opposing announcers talk about Cornell fans and it should bring some pride to all of you. We are deservedly recognized around the league.

So thank you to Age, without you we couldn't be doing this. It's time for all to hit the donate button. Just think how much you enjoy being able to rant here.

Thank you to Greg and his incessantly bringing up the last time something happened. He has made it so easy to look up our past. I wonder how many other schools have that luxury.

Thank you to the Pep Band. They add so much to the atmosphere. You can all donate to them through the Cornell Fund. Without that financing they wouldn't be able to travel.

Thank you to the team and coaching staff. None of them wanted this season to be like it was. I don't know why it went the way it did, but because they came to play, and because of all of you, I had fun. (edit) Every year around this time, I begin to wonder how am I going to get through the next 6 months. I so much want to see another season begin. Other outlets, such as lacrosse, are fun, but they just aren't the same.

For those that I didn't mention, sorry, but you are part of The Faithful.

So Greg, isn't it time for the awards?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 08:37AM by Jim Hyla.

Re: Thank You
Posted by: toddlose (---.sub-70-192-67.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 08:14AM

Jim Hyla
The whining and bad mouthing can go on, but I still feel thankful. As I said in another thread, this year had its periods of suckiness, too many and too long for sure, but we still came within seconds of going to AC. Most of the rest of the teams would have easily traded places with us to get that opportunity. We had a lot more chances to swear than to cheer, but in the end I can still say I enjoyed myself. Mostly that comes from my fellow fans. There are those that I sit next to, those that I see at away games and those that I meet here. Mostly they are different, non-overlapping groups, but they all are passionate CU hockey fans.

So I say thank you to all of you. Wherever I have met you, thank you. For you have made The Lynah Faithful what it is and what it's known for. I love hearing opposing announcers talk about Cornell fans and it should bring some pride to all of you. We are deservedly recognized around the league.

So thank you to Age, without you we couldn't be doing this. It's time for all to hit the donate button. Just think how much you enjoy being able to rant here.

Thank you to Greg and his incessantly bringing up the last time something happened. He has made it so easy to look up our past. I wonder how many other schools have that luxury.

Thank you to the Pep Band. They add so much to the atmosphere. You can all donate to them through the Cornell Fund. Without that financing they wouldn't be able to travel.

Thank you to the team and coaching staff. None of them wanted this season to be like it was. I don't know why it went the way it did, but because they came to play, and because of all of you, I had fun. Every time this year I begin to wonder how am I going to get through the next 6 months. I so much want to see another season begin. Other outlets, such as lacrosse, are fun, but they just aren't the same.

+1

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 10:32AM

Well said Jim.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 11:37AM

Jim Hyla

Here.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: March 18, 2013 12:14PM

KeithK
Well said Jim.

What he said.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 12:27PM

For the team, building on a very good month of March, it's a much better way to look forward to next fall.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 12:28PM

cbuckser
KeithK
Well said Jim.

What he said.

What they said!

Posted by: Larry72 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 01:38PM

Definite +1 -- Very well said!

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: March 18, 2013 01:47PM

Well said.

Posted by: ScrewBU (204.128.198.---)
Date: March 18, 2013 02:41PM

The players deserve a ton of credit. They didn't give up, even when the coaching staff did. And they showed class, even when the head coach didn't.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 02:43PM

ScrewBU
The players deserve a ton of credit. They didn't give up, even when the coaching staff did. And they showed class, even when the head coach didn't.
You don't have any basis to make the claim that the coaching staff gave up.

Date: March 18, 2013 02:49PM

Josh '99
ScrewBU
You don't have any basis to make the claim that the coaching staff gave up.

Posted by: sdippolito (173.225.55.---)
Date: March 18, 2013 02:56PM

I 2nd Jim's comments. Thank you to players, parents, coaches, Pep Band, Lynah fans and all who support Cornell hockey. The season did not turn out the way hoped but the team turned things around in the last 5 weeks. They gave it everything they had. They never quit, including the two overtimes last night. No one likes to lose and everyone loves a winner. But it's not just about winning - its about character. This team displayed determination and the will to succeed. The final record may not reflect it but this is a team we all should feel proud of.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 03:13PM

This should go somewhere, and I guess here is as good a place as any.

At one game under 0.500, this is Cornell's first losing season since 1998-99. In other words, all our current players were in elementary school the last time the Big Red finished south of 0.500. As opposed to Quinnipiac's players, who 14 years ago were all legally buying adult beverages for the first time -- OK, OK, I'll stop.

To put this into perspective, only four of the other 58 Division I men's teams currently have longer streaks without a losing season:

Michigan has not had a losing season since 1986-87, although if the Wolverines don't win the CCHA championship, that streak will end this year.

Colorado College's last losing season was 1992-93; Quinnipiac's last one was 1995-96, when they were a Division II team; Boston College's last one was 1996-97.

If we tweak the question to say "longer streaks of winning seasons", that picks off CC (who went 0.500 in 1999-2000), BC (2001-02), and Quinnipiac (2008-09).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 03:15PM by Give My Regards.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-2.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 03:30PM

Oh for the good old trolls. At least with Facetimer I would get angry once in every ten posts.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 03:34PM

The boys never gave up, nor did the coaching staff. Sadly it was not to be, but we will be back.
Let's Go Red.

Date: March 18, 2013 04:11PM

sdippolito
I 2nd Jim's comments. Thank you to players, parents, coaches, Pep Band, Lynah fans and all who support Cornell hockey. The season did not turn out the way hoped but the team turned things around in the last 5 weeks. They gave it everything they had. They never quit, including the two overtimes last night. No one likes to lose and everyone loves a winner. But it's not just about winning - its about character. This team displayed determination and the will to succeed. The final record may not reflect it but this is a team we all should feel proud of.

I agree completely. This team didn't execute nearly as well as it needed to in order to approach the expectations we all had for it. On the other hand, this team was the most resilient I have seen in 23 seasons of watching Cornell hockey. Twice during the bleakest moments, the team got off the mat and bounced back.

The Quinnipiac series was a microcosm of the season. There was a good yet imperfect start, a historically awful middle, and a resurgence that fell just short at the end. The first third felt best, but the last third produced a feeling of unforgettable but bittersweet pride.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 07:17PM by cbuckser.

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 05:50PM

cbuckser
sdippolito

I agree completely. This team didn't execute nearly as well as it needed to in order to approach the expectations we all had for it. On the other hand, this team was the most resilient I have seen in 23 seasons of watching Cornell hockey. Twice during the bleakest moments, the team got off the mat and bounced back.

The Quinnipiac series was a microcosm of the season. There was a good yet imperfect start, a historically awful middle, and a resurgence that fell just short at the end. The first third felt best, but the last third produced a felling of unforgettable but bittersweet pride.
I'm pretty sure that the team two years ago was far more resilient, bouncing back from a horrific start to get a top 4 seed.

Posted by: Ben (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 06:13PM

css228
cbuckser

The Quinnipiac series was a microcosm of the season. There was a good yet imperfect start, a historically awful middle, and a resurgence that fell just short at the end. The first third felt best, but the last third produced a felling of unforgettable but bittersweet pride.
I'm pretty sure that the team two years ago was far more resilient, bouncing back from a horrific start to get a top 4 seed.
Seconded. That team had less talent but achieved better results.

Date: March 18, 2013 06:18PM

css228
cbuckser
sdippolito

Considering that the team lost a lot of excellent players in the summer of 2010, I wouldn't call the 2-4 start in conference play horrific. If we look at the overall schedule and not just conference games, the 2-6 start certainly qualifies as bad. But that team ended up 16-15-3, which is only a little bit better than this season's 15-16-3.

I don't want to minimize the accomplishments of the 2010-11 team, but that team didn't have nearly as large a hole out of which to climb as the 2012-13 had after the 1-10 stretch or Saturday night's 10-0 loss.

Date: March 18, 2013 06:23PM

cbuckser
css228

Considering that the team lost a lot of excellent players in the summer of 2010, I wouldn't call the 2-4 start in conference play horrific. If we look at the overall schedule and not just conference games, the 2-6 start certainly qualifies as bad. But that team ended up 16-15-3, which is only a little bit better than this season's 15-16-3.

I don't want to minimize the accomplishments of the 2010-11 team, but that team didn't have nearly as large a hole out of which to climb as the 2012-13 had after the 1-10 stretch or Saturday night's 10-0 loss.
That team also went to (and got thrashed in) an ECAC title game, which is better than this year. In the regular season, 2010-11 never needed to get themselves out of the same hole because they didn't dig one as big in the first place. What I want to know from this year is: what happened between going 3-0 up against Maine and the end of the Princeton home game?

Date: March 18, 2013 06:31PM

Ben
cbuckser
css228

That team also went to (and got thrashed in) an ECAC title game, which is better than this year. In the regular season, 2010-11 never needed to get themselves out of the same hole because they didn't dig one as big in the first place. What I want to know from this year is: what happened between going 3-0 up against Maine and the end of the Princeton home game?

That was his point, they did dig a big hole and did climb out. As far out as we, or they wanted, no. But that does somewhat define resilient, going far down and able to come back up.

As far as answering your question, I don't think we'll ever know. We can piss, moan, and complain all we want, but we just won't know.

Date: March 18, 2013 06:36PM

Ben
That team also went to (and got thrashed in) an ECAC title game, which is better than this year. In the regular season, 2010-11 never needed to get themselves out of the same hole because they didn't dig one as big in the first place.

I agree.

Ben
What I want to know from this year is: what happened between going 3-0 up against Maine and the end of the Princeton home game?

Whoever knows the answer to that question has a good future coaching in this league.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 06:41PM

cbuckser
Exactly so.

Date: March 18, 2013 06:46PM

Jim Hyla
Ben
cbuckser
css228

That was his point, they did dig a big hole and did climb out. As far out as we, or they wanted, no. But that does somewhat define resilient, going far down and able to come back up.

As far as answering your question, I don't think we'll ever know. We can piss, moan, and complain all we want, but we just won't know.
Was it resilience or progression to the mean? We weren't in the pre-season national top 10 for no reason. I think.

I'd like to be able to say that long losing streaks are indicative of something, but I don't know what that something is -- and it's harder to figure out when you look at the context (the results) both sides of the streak. Maybe we should have seen it coming during the 0-3-2 stretch in the fall.

Breaking up the season in (roughly) thirds, it was: 6-3-2 | 2-10-0 | 7-3-1. Three different teams.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 06:47PM by Ben.

Date: March 18, 2013 07:24PM

Ben
Breaking up the season in (roughly) thirds, it was: 6-3-2 | 2-10-0 | 7-3-1. Three different teams.
Two different teams. The real one, and the evil twin.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 07:31PM

Jim Hyla

Thank you to the team and coaching staff. None of them wanted this season to be like it was. I don't know why it went the way it did, but because they came to play, and because of all of you, I had fun. (edit) Every year around this time, I begin to wonder how am I going to get through the next 6 months. I so much want to see another season begin. Other outlets, such as lacrosse, are fun, but they just aren't the same.

Back at you!

Date: March 18, 2013 08:10PM

marty
Jim Hyla

Back at you!

I can only wish. Remember, all things in moderation. Not including CU hockey, that is.

Posted by: ugarte (38.96.141.---)
Date: March 20, 2013 10:25AM

I thank all involved for bringing the news of Cornell hockey to a guy that has neither the time or the money to see as much of it as he'd like.

I thank the seniors for what they gave to the program over the years - the 2010 ECAC championship; the run to the 2011 ECAC final and especially the OT win over Michigan last year (so close to a Final Four).

And I thank the whole team for putting together a run at the end of the year that gives reason for optimism heading into next season. You can consider Game 2 the "real" team but I consider it the anomaly. The team we are going to see next year is the one that scared the hell out of the #1 team in the country. Don't know if we'll win the ECACs but I think we're going back to the NCAA tournament. That's a good feeling going into the offseason.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 02:44PM by ugarte.

Posted by: profudge (---.hmpt.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 02:03PM

Ditto Jim. I say TY to all seniors especially and to all of the Big Red eLynah folks for many hours of hockey enjoyment!

Date: March 20, 2013 05:43PM

ugarte
The team we are going to see next year is the one that scared the hell out of the #1 team in the country. Don't know if we'll win the ECACs but I think we're going back to the NCAA tournament. That's a good feeling going into the offseason.
This.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2013 09:41AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 01:15AM

University of Michigan's season had a very similar trajectory to Cornell's. This Michigan Daily column by Matt Slovin about the Michigan team redeeming itself touches many of the same things we have discussed on this thread.

Date: March 25, 2013 06:52PM

cbuckser
University of Michigan's season had a very similar trajectory to Cornell's. This Michigan Daily column by Matt Slovin about the Michigan team redeeming itself touches many of the same things we have discussed on this thread.

I like the writer's sign-off:

— Slovin’s mom was pregnant with him when the NCAA Tournament streak began. He can be reached at mjslovin@umich.edu or on Twitter: @MattSlovin.

Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2013 08:16AM

Meh, their season was similar in that it was disappointing, but whereas Cornell was either good or very bad for long stretches, Michigan was consistently mediocre the entire season, before making a bigger push than Cornell at the end. It's a good article, but really, Cornell got outshot in the Q series like 150-50 and lost some of its best players to graduation, so no, I'm not confident in next season like a Michigan fan could rightfully be confident in Michigan.

Date: March 26, 2013 09:04AM

BearLover
Meh, their season was similar in that it was disappointing, but whereas Cornell was either good or very bad for long stretches, Michigan was consistently mediocre the entire season, before making a bigger push than Cornell at the end. It's a good article, but really, Cornell got outshot in the Q series like 150-50 and lost some of its best players to graduation, so no, I'm not confident in next season like a Michigan fan could rightfully be confident in Michigan.

Worst "thank you" ever. ;-)

Date: March 26, 2013 04:17PM

BearLover

I respectfully disagree. From November 10, 2012 through January 26, 2013, Michigan went 4-13-1. Before losing to Notre Dame to end the season, Michigan went 8-0-1 down the stretch.

From December 29, 2012 through February 9, 2013, Cornell went 1-10. Before losing its last two games at Quinnipiac, Cornell went 7-1-1 down the stretch.

Those seasons are not identical, but they sure look similar to me. Here are two more parallels: Both teams finished a game under .500, and both teams lost one of their top players for half the season with nondisplaced cervical spine fractures.

Although both teams had two seniors among their top point scorers, I'll grant you that Cornell was more dependent on seniors than Michigan. On the other hand, Jon Merrill is a strong candidate to go pro and, though I anticipate that he will stay in school, Jacob Trouba is also considering signing a professional contract.

Michigan is bringing in more blue chippers (including Nolan deJong) in the fall than Cornell, but that is par for the course. Michigan also has better odds of making the NCAA Tournament twelve months from now than Cornell; however, that has been the case for the overwhelming majority of the last 23 years.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 04:18PM by cbuckser.

Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2013 08:36PM

cbuckser
BearLover

I respectfully disagree. From November 10, 2012 through January 26, 2013, Michigan went 4-13-1. Before losing to Notre Dame to end the season, Michigan went 8-0-1 down the stretch.

From December 29, 2012 through February 9, 2013, Cornell went 1-10. Before losing its last two games at Quinnipiac, Cornell went 7-1-1 down the stretch.

Those seasons are not identical, but they sure look similar to me. Here are two more parallels: Both teams finished a game under .500, and both teams lost one of their top players for half the season with nondisplaced cervical spine fractures.

Although both teams had two seniors among their top point scorers, I'll grant you that Cornell was more dependent on seniors than Michigan. On the other hand, Jon Merrill is a strong candidate to go pro and, though I anticipate that he will stay in school, Jacob Trouba is also considering signing a professional contract.

Michigan is bringing in more blue chippers (including Nolan deJong) in the fall than Cornell, but that is par for the course. Michigan also has better odds of making the NCAA Tournament twelve months from now than Cornell; however, that has been the case for the overwhelming majority of the last 23 years.
Oh, I don't ever expect Cornell to be better than Michigan really, at least not talent-wise (although it should be a bit closer due to Cornell players staying longer). All I was saying is that this season as a whole and the loss of some of the team's best players and a depleted entering freshman class do not give me great hope going into next season. The rising seniors simply haven't been very good aside from Iles, and while the rising juniors are one of the best classes since at least '10 and probably beyond that, will they even be back for 1-2 more years?

Date: March 27, 2013 10:06AM

BearLover
cbuckser
BearLover

Oh, I don't ever expect Cornell to be better than Michigan really, at least not talent-wise (although it should be a bit closer due to Cornell players staying longer). All I was saying is that this season as a whole and the loss of some of the team's best players and a depleted entering freshman class do not give me great hope going into next season. The rising seniors simply haven't been very good aside from Iles, and while the rising juniors are one of the best classes since at least '10 and probably beyond that, will they even be back for 1-2 more years?

Ferlin may be a flight risk; I don't see any reason to be anxious about the others. They are a very good group, but none of them are off the charts.

Date: March 27, 2013 01:13PM

cbuckser
BearLover

Oops, Merrill leaves and Trouba not far behind.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: March 27, 2013 01:46PM

Jim Hyla
cbuckser
BearLover

Oops, Merrill leaves and Trouba not far behind.

My Jacob Trouba prediction is looking shaky now.

Nevertheless, I'll make more predictions. No Cornell player from the Class of 2015 will go pro this summer, and their consistent offensive production will be a big factor toward the team having a successful season.

Posted by: BearLover (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 27, 2013 06:53PM

I would also guess no one leaves after this season. Lowry is also a possibility, though. The year after next I'd be surprised if 100% of the drafted players are back.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 06:54PM by BearLover.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login