Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Game 3 v. Q

Posted by hypotenuse 
Game 3 v. Q
Posted by: hypotenuse (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 03:43PM

Any thoughts about tonight? In a MLB game, the team that has suffered a blowout invariably seems to win the next day. But this isn't MLB, where the effectiveness of the pitcher is such a major component of the victory, and we did come into the Series the underdog. On the other hand, we beat them the first game (Friday seems so long ago!) and, although they beat us twice this season, the games were not exactly blow outs. I wonder what Coach S is going to tell them?

Re: Game 3 v. Q
Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 03:49PM

Personally I'd rather lose in this fashion than in heartbreaking, shoulda won, fashion.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 17, 2013 03:52PM

What does he need to tell them? "Go win or your season's over"?

Posted by: hypotenuse (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 03:54PM

I wasn't thinking about losing. But if we have to lose I would prefer we not look like the Delta House at the Homecoming Parade-- even if we are on double-secret probation.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 03:55PM

Somebody mentioned that Schafer-led Cornell teams are 2–0 after > 10 goal blowouts. (CC in '96; Yale in '98.)

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-251-84.myvzw.com)
Date: March 17, 2013 05:23PM

Bad news/good news for game three:

We won't be able to watch it on NESN/We won't have to endure those ridiculous homer announcers.. Geez.

They raved so much about the Q powerhouse. By the end of the game, I was expecting them to propose the entire Q team to go directly to the NHL in the form of an expansion team (and be awarded the Stanley Cup, of course). rolleyes smashfreak

-Ned Harkness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 05:24PM by redice.

Posted by: rdez79 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:22PM

that sucks! out shot 2-1, really 3-1 after the second period.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:35PM

Great game by Iles.

We were 64 seconds from AC. Too bad. :(

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:36PM

Trotsky
Great game by Iles.

I'm so over quick whistles.

Date: March 17, 2013 11:40PM

css228
Trotsky
Great game by Iles.

I'm so over quick whistles.
And crossbars.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:43PM

Trotsky
Great game by Iles.

Eh, the better team won. I had already mostly checked out of this season a month ago, around the same time some combination of the players/coaching staff/dice rolls did the same.

At least Atlantic City will get a fitting send-off: even worse attendance than the last two years. If I never step foot in that city again, it'll be too soon.

Date: March 17, 2013 11:46PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Great game by Iles.

Eh, the better team won. I had already mostly checked out of this season a month ago, around the same time some combination of the players/coaching staff/dice rolls did the same.
I'm not sure if you noticed, but the team went on a great run for more than a month.

Date: March 18, 2013 12:00AM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Great game by Iles.

were 64 seconds from AC. Too bad. :(
I'm not sure if you noticed, but the team went on a great run for more than a month.
Like I said, I'd already checked out. I had already gone through the "They are not meeting expectations" phase long before this weekend, and figured this year was a lost cause. It's like being a Jets fan: it doesn't hurt much when you expect them to lose. Unlike the years when I am pissed that they unexpectedly fail to show up in the big game, they met my expectations this weekend.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.sub-174-226-7.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 12:02AM

Great effort by Iles and it was great to see us redeem ourselves after the game that never happened. With a little luck, we'd be going to AC. We hit two crossbars in third and one in second OT and had a goal disallowed by quick whistle.
Miller didn't reach 100 points but gave it all, especially on PK when we were down 9-0 on Sat and blocked two shots and stayed on ice until pick was out if zone despite fact he was hurt while blocking first shot and could barely skate.
Ryan was fabulous in Game 3. Great efforts by so many others.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 12:16AM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Great game by Iles.

were 64 seconds from AC. Too bad. :(
Like I said, I'd already checked out. I had already gone through the "They are not meeting expectations" phase long before this weekend, and figured this year was a lost cause. It's like being a Jets fan: it doesn't hurt much when you expect them to lose. Unlike the years when I am pissed that they unexpectedly fail to show up in the big game, they met my expectations this weekend.
Well, sure, but the team checked in just as you checked out.

I THINK WE'VE FOUND OUR JINX.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 01:09AM

Kevin Bui is turning 26 next month.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 01:15AM

rdez79
that sucks! out shot 2-1, really 3-1 after the second period.

56-19 after the first period, including 14-1 in 2OT.

Posted by: gomestar (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 01:15AM

ebilmes

weird. I just turned 27 a few days ago and I walked across the stage in December 2007 with my bachelors from Cornell.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 07:43AM

The age thing is kinda weird. They have a ridiculous number of '87-'89s. Although I suppose that should have give us the advantage in OT, paying against a bunch of tired, old men.

Date: March 18, 2013 08:22AM

ugarte
Well, sure, but the team checked in just as you checked out.
If Saturday night is your standard for "checked back in", we have different standards. Really, it's no different from the semifinal last year (6-1), the final the year before (6-0), the final two years before that (5-0), the final in 2006 (6-2), etc., except that it came a weekend early this year, and I was expecting it based on the team's inconsistency to date. If anything, they exceeded my expectations by winning Friday and taking Q to 2OT last night. Going out like this was a relative high note in a bad year.

I THINK WE'VE FOUND OUR JINX.
I hope the players and coaching staff aren't blaming jinxes or luck, but are instead trying to figure out why the train went off the rails in January, and how they're going to keep blowouts from happening. There's simply no excuse for losing 5-0, much less 10-0. Those are beer league scores.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 08:26AM

From the New Haven Register beat writer's recap:

Cornell coach Mike Schafer had words for Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold after Saturday's 10-0 pasting, and he was livid tonight, too. Schafer had words for Pecknold, and continued to rant as Pecknold walked away while assistant Reid Cashman interceded and tried to calm Schafer down.

The anger on Saturday night is obvious, but I wonder what the issue was last night: just carry-over?

The USCHO recap also mentions that D'Agostino played with a broken hand (from blocking a shot Saturday night) last night and Iles was questionable to play the entire series after suffering an injury at Princeton. The effort Andy put in is even more amazing given that information.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 09:09AM

Maybe he was mad that Bui is 26? I'm not, I figure the kid just wants to play hockey. I'd probably have done it too if I was good enough. [If you can't help yourself, insert snarky comment here about a 26 year old scoring 2 goals all season]

Rand is a good guy, I didn't see it but I hope he at least congratulated him and his team before he left. I'm a big Schafer fan but what exactly did Rand do other than win?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 10:02AM

RatushnyFan
Maybe he was mad that Bui is 26? I'm not, I figure the kid just wants to play hockey. I'd probably have done it too if I was good enough. [If you can't help yourself, insert snarky comment here about a 26 year old scoring 2 goals all season]

Rand is a good guy, I didn't see it but I hope he at least congratulated him and his team before he left. I'm a big Schafer fan but what exactly did Rand do other than win?

One thing is they were very "upset" that the film was sent to ECAC about Axell's hit and injury.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: March 18, 2013 12:05PM

Jim Hyla
RatushnyFan

One thing is they were very "upset" that the film was sent to ECAC about Axell's hit and injury.

Sending out your top power-play unit while blowing the other team out is an effective way to piss off your opponent. Keep in mind that when Kellen Jones scored a power-play goal in the final minute of the second period, Cornell had not yet done anything unsportsmanlike during the game. (32 seconds later, Cornell crossed that line with the two-man late hit on Kevin Bui well after the horn sounded.)

Date: March 18, 2013 12:26PM

gomestar
ebilmes

weird. I just turned 27 a few days ago and I walked across the stage in December 2007 with my bachelors from Cornell.

Next year Cornell will have two 21-year-old freshmen: Mitch Gillam and Jake Weidner. Woody Hudson, who withdrew his commitment, will be a 21-year-old freshman at St. Lawrence.

Kevin Bui came to Quinnipiac as a 21-year-old freshman in 2008, but he did not play during the 2009-10 season. That's how he got a fifth year of NCAA eligibility. (Of course, the Ivy League doesn't permit reshirting without a medical reason.)

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 12:31PM

cbuckser
Jim Hyla
RatushnyFan

Sending out your top power-play unit while blowing the other team out is an effective way to piss off your opponent. Keep in mind that when Kellen Jones scored a power-play goal in the final minute of the second period, Cornell had not yet done anything unsportsmanlike during the game. (32 seconds later, Cornell crossed that line with the two-man late hit on Kevin Bui well after the horn sounded.)

The proper response when you object to your opponent scoring more than you do is to score some goals yourself. Gooning up the ice is the real classless act here.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.sub-70-215-27.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 12:46PM

Regardless, I am very much looking forward to the next time we play the Quinnies at home.

flipc

Date: March 18, 2013 01:01PM

Towerroad
cbuckser
Jim Hyla
RatushnyFan

The proper response when you object to your opponent scoring more than you do is to score some goals yourself. Gooning up the ice is the real classless act here.

Like stealing bases in the last inning of a 10-0 baseball game (which my son's Little League team did, to my and my wife's discomfort, last week), a cultural norm was breached. I agree that running up the score doesn't justify bodychecking a player two or three seconds after a period ends (though Kevin Bui sure got his revenge last night); however, Quinnipiac using the first-power play unit in an 8-0 game against a goaltender with 31 seconds of experience in four years (Rand Pecknold was well-aware of Omar's playing time at Cornell) is likely a major source of Mike Schafer's unhappiness with his counterpart.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 01:03PM

Good or bad, we did something to Q. Minny unseats Q in USCHO poll.

The poll:

USCHO.com Division I Men's Poll
March 18, 2013
	Team	      (First)	Record	Points	Last Poll
1	Minnesota	(22)	26- 7-5	967	2
2	Quinnipiac	(27)	26- 6-5	958	1
3	Miami		        24-10-5	893	3
4	Boston College		22-10-4	820	5
5	Mass-Lowell	( 1)	24-10-2	785	6
6	North Dakota		21-11-7	751	4
7	St. Cloud State		23-14-1	670	8
8	Minnesota State		24-12-3	626	10
9	Notre Dame		23-12-3	578	12
10	New Hampshire		19-11-7	519	7
11	Yale		        18-10-3	515	13
12	Western Michigan	19-11-8	408	9
13	Denver		        20-13-5	382	11
14	Wisconsin		19-12-7	375	14
15	Niagara		        23- 8-5	339	15
16	Providence		17-13-7	269	17
17	Boston University	20-15-2	212	18
18	Union		        19-12-5	192	19
19	Rensselaer		18-14-5	91	16
20	Michigan		17-18-3	52	NR
Others receiving votes: Nebraska-Omaha 37, Colorado College 18, 
Brown 11, Merrimack 10, Alaska 9, Ohio State 9, Robert Morris 2, 
Connecticut 1, St. Lawrence 1.

Read more: [www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 18, 2013 01:34PM

Towerroad
cbuckser
Jim Hyla
RatushnyFan

The proper response when the other team throws in the towel is to call off the dogs. You don't steal up big late (baseball), you empty the bench (basketball), you pull your starters and run the ball (football), you don't shoot even on the open net (lax). They kept pressing, apparently still smarting over Cornell sending in a tape of the nasty blindside hit on Axell that ended his career and should have been a major on Friday.

The first thing I said after that PPG was "stay classy, Quinnipiac. Way to shoot on the PP up 8 with under a minute left in the second." It doesn't excuse the skirmish at the end of the period but it certainly explains it. I also have no idea how Goodman didn't get suspended for the stunt he pulled in the third.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 01:56PM

cbuckser
Towerroad
cbuckser
Jim Hyla
RatushnyFan

Like stealing bases in the last inning of a 10-0 baseball game (which my son's Little League team did, to my and my wife's discomfort, last week), a cultural norm was breached. I agree that running up the score doesn't justify bodychecking a player two or three seconds after a period ends (though Kevin Bui sure got his revenge last night); however, Quinnipiac using the first-power play unit in an 8-0 game against a goaltender with 31 seconds of experience in four years (Rand Pecknold was well-aware of Omar's playing time at Cornell) is likely a major source of Mike Schafer's unhappiness with his counterpart.

Yes to both of you, if I may. A goonish response to a dickish move doesn't excuse the goonishness, but neither does it negate the dickishness.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-2.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 03:41PM

This is expected in college hockey and most college sports, but there was a minor difference in that they were perhaps trying to pummel Cornell mentally so that we wouldn't show up on Sunday. I am so glad we did put on a good face and make a good game of it Sunday.

Date: March 18, 2013 03:52PM

cbuckser
Towerroad
cbuckser
Jim Hyla
RatushnyFan

"I think he doth protest too much" When you lead the country in penalty minutes by a mile I think you lose the high ground when complaining about another team or their coach. Schafer has done a lot of complain but has not taken care of his own business.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 18, 2013 04:22PM

Towerroad
cbuckser
Towerroad
cbuckser
Jim Hyla
RatushnyFan

"I think he doth protest too much" When you lead the country in penalty minutes by a mile I think you lose the high ground when complaining about another team or their coach. Schafer has done a lot of complain but has not taken care of his own business.

Ah. So because Cornell is undisciplined, they have no right to take exception to unsportsmanlike conduct?

Q is #2 in PIMs. Do you think Rand doth protest too much about Cornell sending in a tape on a dirty hit on Axell? About whining about McCarron and Lowry? Does he take any blame for Goodman's ridiculous hit on Ryan in a 9-0 game?

Date: March 18, 2013 04:50PM

Chris '03
Towerroad
cbuckser
Towerroad
cbuckser
Jim Hyla
RatushnyFan

Ah. So because Cornell is undisciplined, they have no right to take exception to unsportsmanlike conduct?

Q is #2 in PIMs. Do you think Rand doth protest too much about Cornell sending in a tape on a dirty hit on Axell? About whining about McCarron and Lowry? Does he take any blame for Goodman's ridiculous hit on Ryan in a 9-0 game?

Yeah that is what I am saying it rings hollow. Our team was undisciplined and I hate to say it but goonish this year and the coach was not able to change that. Just look at the penalty minutes they stick out like a sore thumb Roughtly 10% higher than #2. The Q players are not a bunch of choir boys but there were times I was embarrassed for the first time in my life to be a Cornell fan (I am thinking about the "nut job" in particular).

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 05:42PM

Towerroad
Chris '03
Towerroad
cbuckser
Towerroad
cbuckser
Jim Hyla
RatushnyFan

Yeah that is what I am saying it rings hollow. Our team was undisciplined and I hate to say it but goonish this year and the coach was not able to change that. Just look at the penalty minutes they stick out like a sore thumb Roughtly 10% higher than #2. The Q players are not a bunch of choir boys but there were times I was embarrassed for the first time in my life to be a Cornell fan (I am thinking about the "nut job" in particular).
I don't actually care too much about goonery, as long as it doesn't hurt your team. Being a pest, drawing matching penalties, scoring a goal and then immediately dropping the gloves with Dion Phaneuf. The only reason I was embarrassed was at the stupidity of this team to take all those penalties that were going to hurt the team because they couldn't kill them. Q takes the 2nd most penalties in the country, but it doesn't really matter, since they kill them at a 90% rate. I'm more embarrassed that these players go to Cornell, and couldn't put together that lots of penalties, and a terrible penalty kill = bad results.

Date: March 18, 2013 06:40PM

Here are highlights from the game, in much higher quality than what America One Sports provided last night.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login